PDA

View Full Version : Samurai Jack - THE FOOLISH SAMURAI WARRIOR RETURNS!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Giggling Ghast
2017-02-06, 03:47 PM
A new trailer has appeared!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSrv_n4tw7w

This new series definitely seems to have a bit more of an adult feel; I notice a fair bit of blood being spilled by Jack and Aku's assassins. Also, the fact that Jack apparently has stopped aging is an interesting plot element. Perhaps a side effect of the time travel? Because Jack is outside of time, he is immune to its effects?

Lacuna Caster
2017-02-06, 03:55 PM
Finally, an actual release date!

Having more gore was one of the first things the producers were talking about, and one of the main constraints on the original series- slightly too serious for kids, slightly too silly for adults and teens. I'd be interested to see how this turns out.

factotum
2017-02-06, 04:23 PM
Question is, who can they get to replace Mako as the voice of Aku? Or is he going to stay in the background and let his screaming women do all the work?

Giggling Ghast
2017-02-06, 04:57 PM
Supposedly there's a new voice actor for Aku, though they're keeping mum on the details.

Lemmy
2017-02-06, 05:15 PM
Damn! I got Thread-Ninja'd! :smallbiggrin:

I'm curious about the new voice, but also quite optimistic :smallsmile:. For better or worse, the first time I only saw the show in English when I decided to re-watch it as an adult, so while I do appreciate Mako's voice acting, it holds no nostalgia for me.

HandofShadows
2017-02-06, 06:12 PM
Question is, who can they get to replace Mako as the voice of Aku?

Mako had an understudy who replaced him on Avatar the Last Airbender. That isn't to say that he will be doing Aku though.

Kimhari
2017-02-06, 06:21 PM
Anyone knows if there is any chance it will be watchable online through some official stream?

Blackhawk748
2017-02-06, 06:42 PM
I'm so happy, this will be glorious.

Some Android
2017-02-06, 07:34 PM
Dang! That had blood. Or at the very least ketchup.

I'm excited! Just a little bit over a month!

edit: I know this is probably unlikely but what are the odds we get another Scotsman episode? I love that guy!

Lentrax
2017-02-06, 07:46 PM
I just loved hearing Jack in the trailer.

"Gotta get back. Back to the past."

It was a great nostalgia moment.

martixy
2017-02-06, 08:01 PM
Mako had an understudy who replaced him on Avatar the Last Airbender. That isn't to say that he will be doing Aku though.

Chances are though... I mean we heard Azula, so... :)

Some Android
2017-02-06, 09:25 PM
Chances are though... I mean we heard Azula, so... :)

But does it have Wang Fire?:smallamused:

Legato Endless
2017-02-06, 09:35 PM

edit: I know this is probably unlikely but what are the odds we get another Scotsman episode? I love that guy!

Elderly Scotsman? His wife is probably still alive. It's not like something as feeble as mere time could kill her.

KillingAScarab
2017-02-06, 10:16 PM
Having more gore was one of the first things the producers were talking about, and one of the main constraints on the original series- slightly too serious for kids, slightly too silly for adults and teens. I'd be interested to see how this turns out.

I'm excited! Just a little bit over a month!Placement on Adult Swim would definitely let them not just go sickhouse on robots. Yet, Genndy Tartakovsky and Bryan Andrews did good work storyboarding all the robot gore in Iron Man 2 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1228705/fullcredits/).

Damn! I got Thread-Ninja'd! :smallbiggrin:Ninjas in a samurai thread? Inconceivable!

I just loved hearing Jack in the trailer.

"Gotta get back. Back to the past."

It was a great nostalgia moment.I look forward to hearing what Phil LaMarr does with the voice acting this time.

Blackhawk748
2017-02-06, 10:18 PM
Ninjas in a samurai thread? Inconceivable!

Are we forgetting that Jack is trained as a Shinobi as well?

Some Android
2017-02-06, 11:40 PM
Elderly Scotsman?

Then Scotsman Jr. Whatever. Just get John DiMaggio back for an episode!

Professor Gnoll
2017-02-07, 03:51 AM

Wasn't that the Scotsman screaming 'you have forgotten your purpose?'

Jeivar
2017-02-07, 04:41 AM
Jeez Twilight, what would Fluttershy say??

Aotrs Commander
2017-02-07, 08:43 AM
Well. While Samurai Jack was not something I was ever as much into as a lot of folk, I did appreciate it nontheless. I think having a more mature tone (in that they are allowed to extend gore at least partly to organics, instead of the actually incredibly gorey, would-be-banned-for-robot-kids oil substitute they used even from the first episodes) will only help the show.

I do think that children's shows can be a bit too sanitised at times. I think stuff like Clone Wars (and of course, Star War itself) helped a lot in not shying away from death and injury as a taboo subject. I just finished watching W.i.t.c.h. and that show was another one (like the 1990s Spider-Man and X-Men; hell, even Avatar, come to that) that would have shined ever better with the latitude to be just a little bit... I'm not sure "mature" is the right word; perhaps "less restricted" would be better. Children's media has been full of death and violence since the old days, after all (fairy tales...!), it's just excessive gore that's not hugely appropriate.

Samurai Jack - at least here - is obviously aiming for an older audience than that of course and it's very gratifying to see they've been allowed to actually do that; it's quite unusual, really.

martixy
2017-02-07, 09:43 AM
Samurai Jack - at least here - is obviously aiming for an older audience than that of course and it's very gratifying to see they've been allowed to actually do that; it's quite unusual, really.

We all grew up. It is nice of them to offer all of us fans the closure we have been waiting on for... more than a decade(wow).

Haruspex_Pariah
2017-02-07, 10:03 AM
Color me interested. The old show was weird, funny, and action packed in a way that stood out from the rest of Cartoon Network. Not sure about how, eh, dark it looks but I'll wait for more to be revealed.

Aotrs Commander
2017-02-07, 10:35 AM
The question remains as to how when or if, CN will air it over here, of course, since we don't have any adult swim equivilent (or if we do, its highly sporadic).

That said, they did air Green Lantrun First Flight at 10 o'clock on a Saturday mornig once, and that had someone impaled on screen, so...! (One did wonder if they'd actually watched it first...!)

onikataki
2017-02-07, 11:29 AM
I may have to give it a chance. I never got into Samurai Jack when it originally aired.

Lurkmoar
2017-02-07, 04:07 PM
Consider me hyped. I'm curious if they're going for a story arc or stick to the single shots of the original.

Blackhawk748
2017-02-07, 05:50 PM
Consider me hyped. I'm curious if they're going for a story arc or stick to the single shots of the original.

They are going to finish the plot.

AdmiralCheez
2017-02-07, 11:37 PM
In case anyone wants to catch up, Adult Swim is streaming a continuous loop of Samurai Jack episodes, in order, on their website.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-02-08, 12:21 AM
They're also on Saturday nights again.

A Tad Insane
2017-02-08, 12:26 PM
First, and most importantly

H Y P E
Y
P
E

Secondly, I wonder if the blood will flow like the oil use to, and if Jack is still just a much a fan of bisection

cobaltstarfire
2017-02-08, 01:11 PM
The question remains as to how when or if, CN will air it over here, of course, since we don't have any adult swim equivilent (or if we do, its highly sporadic).

That said, they did air Green Lantrun First Flight at 10 o'clock on a Saturday mornig once, and that had someone impaled on screen, so...! (One did wonder if they'd actually watched it first...!)

I've seen rumors floating around that you should be able to access Adult Swims website to stream Samurai Jack even if you don't live in the US.

Lurkmoar
2017-02-08, 07:03 PM
They are going to finish the plot.

As far as I remember, the plot was Jack fighting in the future world looking for a way home. There was one portal teased... "You're not the one... yet."

If he did find a way back it was either a trick, a misunderstanding, or he gives it up to do the right thing. Which always made me question, if his goal is get back to prevent this future from happening, wouldn't the temporal paradox wipe out all his good deeds anyway? That struck me most when he ran into his old Shaolin buddy who reached enlightenment and found a portal to the past, but he stayed behind to protect the other monks. Honor before reason at its finest.

Blackhawk748
2017-02-08, 07:39 PM
As far as I remember, the plot was Jack fighting in the future world looking for a way home. There was one portal teased... "You're not the one... yet."

If he did find a way back it was either a trick, a misunderstanding, or he gives it up to do the right thing. Which always made me question, if his goal is get back to prevent this future from happening, wouldn't the temporal paradox wipe out all his good deeds anyway? That struck me most when he ran into his old Shaolin buddy who reached enlightenment and found a portal to the past, but he stayed behind to protect the other monks. Honor before reason at its finest.

I've always explained it as him believing in multiple timelines, therefore if he goes back, he just makes a different timeline, which leaves the one he came from in the condition he left it.

But ya, apparently he will go back and finally defeat Aku, should be glorious.

Legato Endless
2017-02-08, 07:46 PM

Of course the plot was never the main focus. The extremely open premise existed so the creator could experiment with animation, ply a largely silent atmospheric kind of storytelling, and homage everything from film noir to the 300 graphic novel to Wacky racers. I'm much less curious about the plot concluding as I am about what new visuals Tartakovsky has in store for us, and what a more weary Jack means for a show that looks to be taking a slightly more psychological turn.

Which always made me question, if his goal is get back to prevent this future from happening, wouldn't the temporal paradox wipe out all his good deeds anyway?

A protagonist who does nothing but seek his way home and has no conflicts of interests isn't a very human one, and that limits the amount of stories one can tell if he's always just ignoring everything else on his grand quest. Not exactly very dynamic writing. In universe, Jack's sword is a divine weapon forged by the gods and powered by the wielder's righteousness. If Jack became the sort of man who could rationalize ignoring the troubles of others, he might cease being worthy of the blade.

The Glyphstone
2017-02-09, 12:32 AM
Well, he's apparently adding pistols and a gatling gun to his inventory if that trailer is any indication.

Ceiling_Squid
2017-02-10, 11:37 AM
Maybe not his permanent arsenal.

Jack has been known to equip himself for various situations (see: the armor he wore in his first outing to help the talking dogs), and then have his extra gear destroyed/discarded, thanks to the episodic nature of the show. He travels light.

A Tad Insane
2017-02-10, 11:40 AM
He seems to be lacking his sword, using a weird dagger, bident thing in the few frames of melee combat

Yana
2017-02-11, 04:00 PM
For those in need of a refresher, the adult swim website is currently streaming all of the first four seasons for the next few days.

Kyberwulf
2017-02-11, 04:29 PM
This just seems to be like the DC version of Samurai Jack. Trying to make it darker and grittier to make it more "adult"and "edgier".

Blackhawk748
2017-02-11, 04:30 PM
This just seems to be like the DC version of Samurai Jack. Trying to make it darker and grittier to make it more "adult"and "edgier".

Adult, yes. Edgier? I wouldn't say so. Samurai Jack was always kinda dark, we just didn't notice cuz we where kids and just saw a Samurai fighting Robots.

Giggling Ghast
2017-02-11, 04:51 PM
Which always made me question, if his goal is get back to prevent this future from happening, wouldn't the temporal paradox wipe out all his good deeds anyway? That struck me most when he ran into his old Shaolin buddy who reached enlightenment and found a portal to the past, but he stayed behind to protect the other monks. Honor before reason at its finest.

Depends on the type of time travel used. It's possible that, even if Jack travelled back in time, there would still be an alternate timeline where the innocents he turned his back on were screwed.

Kyberwulf
2017-02-11, 06:51 PM
lol..Adding blood, doesn't make things adult.

Aotrs Commander
2017-02-11, 06:52 PM
Adult, yes. Edgier? I wouldn't say so. Samurai Jack was always kinda dark, we just didn't notice cuz we where kids and just saw a Samurai fighting Robots.

I wasn't a kid (I'm that old...!) and I observed to my Dad at the time that it was very clear that they were having to use robots and oil as a blood substitute for the gore they obviously weren't allowed to use.

The new series appears to be just llowing the exact same level of violence to be extended to things with blood inside of them.

Legato Endless
2017-02-11, 08:35 PM

Yeah, considering you don't have to go farther than the second episode to see the remains of sentient dogs Aku executed by crucifixion...this was basically always 'DC'. It just was well executed and kept a sense of humor.

There was a lot of implied carnage in the original series from some of the places Jack saw the aftermath of. Can you imagine watching the cannibal family if they weren't robot-censored?

Keltest
2017-02-11, 09:55 PM
lol..Adding blood, doesn't make things adult.

No, but Samurai Jack was always an adult show masquerading as a kids show. And it worked fairly well, in my opinion, but now they don't need to pretend anymore.

Kyberwulf
2017-02-12, 02:51 AM
Meh.. you just basically said.. no , but yeah it does. I personally liked the subtext aspect. With it going full meh.. it's losing some of the show that made you think. I seen this as kind of a new version of st:tos. In that regard.

Aotrs Commander
2017-02-12, 10:46 AM
Samuari Jack, in its own universe, would have been a schlocky robotsploitation show that would have been emphatically not suitable for robot children.

(And I for one, even as a child, largely did not see that violence against robots (or insects) or anything else, was any less bad than against humans. Transformers (the comic) was remarkably gruesome - as was Transformers the movie, and that was to characters the fans and children knew.)

Seriously, in the fight at the end of the first premiet, there was one point he slices a robot in half and gets completely covered by the black oil that exploded out of it; which was just as over-the-top and violent as when that's done to people in anime; I think it is only because of the getting-crap-past-the-censors-letter-ban-on-blood-specifically that I think it was allowed at all.

Really, all the show is doing now is being allowed to be sensibly not hypocritical about the targets of the hyperviolence it showed from that very first outing.

Giggling Ghast
2017-02-24, 11:41 PM
In case anyone's interested, Adult Swim posted a short teaser of a helmeted warrior battling Aku's robot bugs. No points for guessing the identity of the warrior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMIZD-JSf5k

Even the robot violence seems a bit more visceral. Check out the disemboweling.

Doorhandle
2017-02-25, 10:53 PM
Samuari Jack, in its own universe, would have been a schlocky robotsploitation show that would have been emphatically not suitable for robot children.

(And I for one, even as a child, largely did not see that violence against robots (or insects) or anything else, was any less bad than against humans. Transformers (the comic) was remarkably gruesome - as was Transformers the movie, and that was to characters the fans and children knew.)

Seriously, in the fight at the end of the first premier, there was one point he slices a robot in half and gets completely covered by the black oil that exploded out of it; which was just as over-the-top and violent as when that's done to people in anime; I think it is only because of the getting-crap-past-the-censors-letter-ban-on-blood-specifically that I think it was allowed at all.

Really, all the show is doing now is being allowed to be sensibly not hypocritical about the targets of the hyper-violence it showed from that very first outing.

I'm with Kyberwulf on this one: The subtext becoming text is just not as fun.

Although you are entirely correct about the show not so much "becoming adult'" as "taking off it's cunning PG13 disguise that hid its true nature."\\

Looking forward to it either way.

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-12, 11:57 AM
Watched the first episode. It still has a lot of the same flavour, but this new season is considerably darker. They seem to have gone the Mad Max route with Jack, giving him a severe case of PTSD.

HandofShadows
2017-03-12, 12:08 PM
After 50 years of near continuous fighting, Jack has every reason in the world to suffer from PTSD. :smallfrown::smalleek: He's lucky he's not stark raving loony.

Rater202
2017-03-12, 12:23 PM
I am predicting that Jack is going to kill one of the Daughters of Aku and only then will he notice that they bleed red.

I imagine that he won't take it well--I mean, if his reaction to learning that X9 had feelings and wasn't hunting him maliciously but because he was forced to is anything to go by, he does not like to employ violence against things that aren't unfeeling machines or pure evil.

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-12, 01:23 PM
My prediction is that they initially put him on the ropes, but then he comes back and kills all of them except the one that showed a flicker of humanity, whom he spares.

Morty
2017-03-12, 01:42 PM
Well, damn.

Jack did lose his sword. So now he has to not only find a way to return to the past, but also make sure Aku doesn't find out that there's nothing stopping him from crushing Jack like a bug. Nasty. And his psyche is finally showing signs of cracking under the pressure. Can't blame him.

It also appears they got Greg Baldwin to pick up Aku's role, like they had with Iroh in ATLA and LOK.

Desiderata
2017-03-12, 01:54 PM
Should I watch all of the original run of Samurai Jack before watching the new stuff? Can I watch them concurrently, a little of this a little of that?

Yana
2017-03-12, 03:02 PM
There's not that much continuity in the original run for Samurai Jack with the exception of some recurring characters like the Scotsman. You should be fine to watch the 5th season.

Blackhawk748
2017-03-12, 03:45 PM
Its so beautiful *wipes away tear* Its brutal, its amazing and its several types of crazy, just what i was hoping for,

Some Android
2017-03-12, 04:56 PM
Well that was awesome! Looking forward to more! I loved the assassin and how his comical nature wasn't a clash with the gritty atmosphere.
Also looking forward to more stuff with the Daughters of Aku.

Doorhandle
2017-03-12, 08:53 PM
Well that was awesome! Looking forward to more! I loved the assassin and how his comical nature wasn't a clash with the gritty atmosphere.
Also looking forward to more stuff with the Daughters of Aku.

Yeah. it was nice that they managed to get a lot of mileage out of one gimmick...although the way he scattted mid-battle made me have trouble taking him seriously.

A Tad Insane
2017-03-12, 10:47 PM
Yeah. it was nice that they managed to get a lot of mileage out of one gimmick...although the way he scattted mid-battle made me have trouble taking him seriously.

I mean, would you laugh at a robot assassin who just murderized an entire town that just busted into song?

Lvl45DM!
2017-03-13, 02:18 AM

Me too until his scatting made his sword attack. SCAREAMOUCHE!!!!!

That whole character was gloriously Samurai Jack. A recognizable parody (Sammy Davis Junior) thats simultaneously pure evil and lightly comic, who fought tactically, keeping his golems between him and Jack, playing his flute on the move, and having back up moves like scatting and the tuning fork knife. Uggggggggghhhhh that was SO DAMN GOOD!!!!!
I was legitmiately worried the show would lose its charm just going dark, but NO. NO ITS SO FREAKING GOOD
The river of dead was totally horrifying and the utterly cliche but still visceral tutelage of Aku's daughters was amazing. How does Samurai Jack pull off such predictable bland story lines SO WELL?!

And the new opening nearly made me weep hearing Phil LaMarrs voice again.

danzibr
2017-03-13, 12:19 PM
Oh man, I watched this show a lot when I was a kid. I was young (dunno when it aired in the past, I was born in '87), and didn't watch it in order, or maybe in order but I missed episodes. I'm now rewatching it with my children (thanks Hulu!) from episode I. Man, it's even better than I remember.

Episode I is crucial in Jack's backstory (btw, I didn't realize Jack wasn't his real name). And in episode III when the Aku-bots or whatever attack that dog settlement, we get insight into Jack's prowess and character. He essentially single-handedly destroyed hundreds of powerful robots (pretty powerful I guess, they're like 7' tall when standing up, have scythe-like claws). These seemingly relentless robots come to fear him, or at least realize it's in their best interest to flee. And when they try to flee, he kills them all.

Lurkmoar
2017-03-14, 04:04 PM
I fully enjoyed it. The new opening is nice, and I'm glad they retained the original ending theme.

You really have to feel for Jack, he's likely won almost every battle, but it seems his war against Aku is a loser. How many friends has he made that he's lost along his way? Did the intelligence guiding that time portal know that Jack wasn't hardened enough yet? And is this the first time that Aku has sent humans against Jack? A bit surprised he didn't do it sooner.

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-14, 04:16 PM
Jack definitely has faced off against human opponents; in fact, there was a whole episode dedicated to a group of (mostly) human bounty hunters planning to ambush Jack and then failing miserably. But he's generally handed out thrashings and they never returned.

The Daughters of Aku represent something he's never had to deal with: human assassins born and bred for the sole purpose of destroying Jack. They are extremely skilled and aren't going to give up after a little beating.

BRC
2017-03-14, 04:40 PM
Jack definitely has faced off against human opponents; in fact, there was a whole episode dedicated to a group of (mostly) human bounty hunters planning to ambush Jack and then failing miserably. But he's generally handed out thrashings and they never returned.

The Daughters of Aku represent something he's never had to deal with: human assassins born and bred for the sole purpose of destroying Jack. They are extremely skilled and aren't going to give up after a little beating.

My joke has always been that the power of Jack's sword is to turn anything he cuts into a robot.

But yeah, Jack's fought Robots (Destroyed), Demonic Foes (Destroyed), Undead Foes (Destroyed), and organic foes (Soundly, but nonlethally thrashed into submission). The Organic foes tended to be bounty hunters of various sorts who give up after he beats them.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-03-14, 04:44 PM
There were the lion men, though, who beat Jack but then let him go.

Callos_DeTerran
2017-03-14, 04:51 PM
There were the lion men, though, who beat Jack but then let him go.

And the Children of Set. Jack had to run until he found a way to summon Ra to destroy them.

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-14, 04:55 PM
Jack did sort of kill an evil mad scientist in The Four Seasons of Death by spitting the poison he intended for Jack to drink into said scientist's mouth, which turned him into falling leaves.

But none of these guys were humans. That's a critical point. Jack's approach to violence is similar to Batman, who has been willing to kill things like vampires and robots depending on the adaptation.

danzibr
2017-03-14, 05:00 PM
Yup, this is getting into stuff I haven't seen/don't remember.

In addition to my earlier comment about not knowing stuff (Jack isn't his name, his background, his ruthlessness to bad dudes), I noticed something odd. Unless my memory is fooling me, the dog people had his age calculated as 25 BA (Before Aku). But wait, didn't Aku come when he was just a little kid? Am I missing something?

Also, didn't realize the old show had a whopping 52 episodes. Nice, something to catch up on :)

Rater202
2017-03-14, 05:08 PM
It's possiblte that "Before Aku" refers to when Aku took over the world, not when he first appeared(Which was actually shortly before Jack was Born, unless you count the shapeless blob of evil and darkness that became Aku inwhich case Aku killed the dinosaurs.)

Aku has an army becuase enforcing his control of the world and conquering it takes too long.

We also can't take for granted that Aku's World's calander measures a year to the same length that ours do.

Besides, there was enough time between Aku sending Jack into the future and Aku solidly taking over the World for the original Power Puff Girls to happenhttps://mlpforums.com/uploads/post_images/img-1508101-1-182767_slide.jpg

Adjusting for Artstyles and perspectives, that's the same sign and the same city.

Mister Loorg
2017-03-14, 05:18 PM
Do you think the Powerpuff Girls ever cared about the evil demon that was destroying Japan for hundreds of years?

Morty
2017-03-14, 05:18 PM
I think it's heavily implied Jack did kill the bounty hunters in "The Princess and the Bounty Hunters". It's just left somewhat ambiguous because of the restrictions. We'll know for sure soon enough, I suppose.

danzibr
2017-03-14, 05:22 PM
It's possiblte that "Before Aku" refers to when Aku took over the world, not when he first appeared(Which was actually shortly before Jack was Born, unless you count the shapeless blob of evil and darkness that became Aku inwhich case Aku killed the dinosaurs.)

Aku has an army becuase enforcing his control of the world and conquering it takes too long.

We also can't take for granted that Aku's World's calander measures a year to the same length that ours do.

Besides, there was enough time between Aku sending Jack into the future and Aku solidly taking over the World for the original Power Puff Girls to happenhttps://mlpforums.com/uploads/post_images/img-1508101-1-182767_slide.jpg

Adjusting for Artstyles and perspectives, that's the same sign and the same city.
True... it's not clear exactly when BA stopped. Maybe we're supposed to believe Jack is 25 years old?
Mind=blown.

LaZodiac
2017-03-14, 05:24 PM
My only concern with this is, and this is something I've felt since...like the show first aired, is that I think this is leading towards some sort of "Jack is Aku" situation.

Look at the shadow-y horserider that Jack thinks is Aku, compared to Motorcycle Jack, especially with his helmet. The idea that this determinator, this man so dedicated that it seems he's just stopped aging, can only win by giving up. Why a Samurai with as much power and skill as him explicitly needs a sword to kill his greatest foe, when it's kind of established that even regular stuff can at least HURT Aku. It's probably completely out of nowhere, but it's something I've always felt might happen.

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-14, 05:37 PM
Hold on LaZodiac, I've never seen a weapon that wasn't Jack's sword hurt Aku. (The one exception is the episode where Aku challenges Jack to one-on-one combat and agrees not to use his powers, taking on a human form.)

Take for example Jack Under the Sea, where Aku tanks an entire underwater army. It isn't until Jack stabs him that he's forced to flee.

LaZodiac
2017-03-14, 05:58 PM
Hold on LaZodiac, I've never seen a weapon that wasn't Jack's sword hurt Aku. (The one exception is the episode where Aku challenges Jack to one-on-one combat and agrees not to use his powers, taking on a human form.)

Take for example Jack Under the Sea, where Aku tanks an entire underwater army. It isn't until Jack stabs him that he's forced to flee.

I might be misremembering that part it's been like a billion years. I don't think that completely deconfirms everything though? I was basically just going for a "symbolic suicide" type imagery there.

jollysunflora
2017-03-14, 06:00 PM
Well its called a magic sword for a reason. Rewatching the birth of evil episode shows the sword has a spark of Pure Human Goodness inside it.

Morty
2017-03-14, 06:10 PM
We know what Aku is, and why Jack needs his father's sword to destroy him. Spoilers, just in case.

Aku is a tiny remnant of a cosmic force of evil, that was defeated by gods. When Aku landed on Earth and started wreaking havoc, the gods gave Jack's father a sword they'd forged to defeat him.

Scowling Dragon
2017-03-14, 06:12 PM
The only thing that we have seen even hurt aku that wasn't Jack, where The Magical Guardians of the Neptunes Saphire made of pure elements.

But that seems to have only pushed him BACK, not really rend him asunder like Jacks Blade does. I think that becoming the Personification of Sentient evil (As opposed to mindless evil as he was before) made him more resilient to divine force.

Edit:

Also I always interpreted him as a King more concerned with evil then death. What he was before could have consumed the world by now.

He likes varieties of evil. He breeds it. His army is just to prove that he can. Otherwise he just likes to grow species only to torment them.

Rater202
2017-03-14, 06:43 PM
We know what Aku is, and why Jack needs his father's sword to destroy him. Spoilers, just in case.

Aku is a tiny remnant of a cosmic force of evil, that was defeated by gods. When Aku landed on Earth and started wreaking havoc, the gods gave Jack's father a sword they'd forged to defeat him.
Not just any sword forged by any gods. Those Were Odin, Vishnu, and Ra. The cheif and most powerful Deities of three differant religions.(None of the japanese, but Jack trained all over the world o be a Samural so it gets a pass) who defeated the cosmic evil that Aku was spawned from.

The Sword, rather than made of any mortal metal, is quite literally a piece of Jack's father's pure and rightous soul made physical and blssed and enchanted with the power of the Most powerful deities of three differant religions. The sword is indestructable and posseses a level of sharpness unlike anything else, and being made from a piece of a pure and rightous soul means that it is utterly incapable of harming anyone with a pure and ritchous soul themselves, but it's unusually harmful to evil beings--divine magic such as the sword being the only thing that can harm Aku. The only other weapon in the series that compares is the Scotsman's sword and it's MAGIC RUNES!

Note, however, that in Jack vs Aku, when Aku decides to settle things once and for all--a fight between him and Jack. Jack cannot use his sword, but Aku will not use his magic and will fight in the form of a human worrior--Jack overpower's Aku with little effort.

Of course, it was all a ruse by Aku to try and steal the sword and he broke the deal once it became clear that he was losing, but point is Jack is stronger and a better fighter in general. Every other time they fought, Jack with his sword and Aku going all out, Aku ran like a bitch. (The Original Opening even states that Aku hurled Jack into the future "Before the final blow was struck.")

I was talking to this with a friend just yesterday(or maybe the day before) but if Jack and his rough equal the Scotsman had ever decided to just go, find Aku, and kick his ass, I imagine Aku would have died.

We'll have to wait and see if Robo-eye-wheelchair-gattling leg Scotsman can keep up with Jack though. If so...

Rogar Demonblud
2017-03-14, 11:47 PM
Yup, this is getting into stuff I haven't seen/don't remember.

In addition to my earlier comment about not knowing stuff (Jack isn't his name, his background, his ruthlessness to bad dudes), I noticed something odd. Unless my memory is fooling me, the dog people had his age calculated as 25 BA (Before Aku). But wait, didn't Aku come when he was just a little kid? Am I missing something?

Also, didn't realize the old show had a whopping 52 episodes. Nice, something to catch up on :)

Oddly, the newest episode is numbered XCII.

Also, you might be thinking of Aku's first try, where Jack's father defeated and bound the demon. Jack took him on after years of training.

LaZodiac
2017-03-15, 01:04 AM
Oddly, the newest episode is numbered XCII.

Also, you might be thinking of Aku's first try, where Jack's father defeated and bound the demon. Jack took him on after years of training.

I mean I don't know roman numerals but I'd hazard a guess and say that that number is meant to be symbolic of how much time has passed between the last episode and now.

Doorhandle
2017-03-15, 06:20 AM
My only concern with this is, and this is something I've felt since...like the show first aired, is that I think this is leading towards some sort of "Jack is Aku" situation.

Look at the shadow-y horserider that Jack thinks is Aku, compared to Motorcycle Jack, especially with his helmet. The idea that this determinator, this man so dedicated that it seems he's just stopped aging, can only win by giving up. Why a Samurai with as much power and skill as him explicitly needs a sword to kill his greatest foe, when it's kind of established that even regular stuff can at least HURT Aku. It's probably completely out of nowhere, but it's something I've always felt might happen.

Oh, the rider is definitely him... but I think it's more symbolic of what he's become, or at least fears he will become. The rider is always staring dispassionately over fields of carnage, but there's no evidence the rider caused said carnage. It just observes, taking no action... and remember Jack spend most of this episode screaming at hallucinations rather than riding to a village's aid, to the point they got killed without him.

The figure is Jack without compassion, without righteousness; not evil, just completely uncaring, apathetic. It is letting evil win because it is doing nothing, despite being able to: it's willing only to survive for survival's sake, not to fight against the evil that is Aku. It's a representation of what Jack fears the most about his current situations, and is not an unreasonable one.

As for Jack is Aku... that episode already happened. (http://samuraijack.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_XLIII:_The_Aku_Infection)

HandofShadows
2017-03-15, 07:36 AM
I think Doorhandle hit the nail right on the head. The rider is what Jack fears he will become, is becoming or has already become.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-03-15, 09:51 AM
I mean I don't know roman numerals but I'd hazard a guess and say that that number is meant to be symbolic of how much time has passed between the last episode and now.

Strictly speaking, XCII should be 10+100+1+1=112, but because people are idiots it means ten before one hundred plus one plus one, or 92.

Czhorat
2017-03-15, 04:22 PM
Strictly speaking, XCII should be 10+100+1+1=112, but because people are idiots it means ten before one hundred plus one plus one, or 92.

No, that's how Roman numerals work. The smaller character at the beginning is a subtraction. This makes helps reduce the number of characters needed for certain numerals.

t209
2017-03-15, 04:48 PM
Just saw the first episode,

- Just the birth scenes scare me, don't want to know how she can pop out 7 kids.
- At least Scaramoush lighten things up, even as psychopathic music assassin.

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-15, 05:35 PM
Just be grateful you were spared the sight of Aku ... mating.

*Shudder*

Rater202
2017-03-15, 05:36 PM
We don't know if the Daughters are Aku's literal daughters.

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-15, 05:52 PM
We don't know if the Daughters are Aku's literal daughters.

We don't know they're not, either. The Priestess (their mother) does say, "Aku's fire stirs inside all of them," which I would take to imply they were connected to Aku somehow.

Leecros
2017-03-15, 06:03 PM
*Shudder*

There's only a few people who could love a face like that...
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/samuraijack/images/c/c4/Akku10.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20111111135645

Scowling Dragon
2017-03-15, 06:54 PM
I believe its just religeous fervor. They mention not seeing aku for a while.

Its the standard crazed religeous talk.

Lemmy
2017-03-15, 07:26 PM
I believe its just religeous fervor. They mention not seeing aku for a while.

Its the standard crazed religeous talk.
Yeah... I think they are hinting at a "final" confrontation between Aku and Jack having happened at some point before the beginning of the season, which somehow led to Aku being (temporarily) gone and Jack losing his sword.

Rater202
2017-03-15, 07:32 PM
Yeah... I think they are hinting at a "final" confrontation between Aku and Jack having happened at some point before the beginning of the season, which somehow led to Aku being (temporarily) gone and Jack losing his sword.

Scaramouch calls Aku on his cell phone and Aku answers.

Morty
2017-03-15, 07:49 PM
Jack is also immediately concerned about Aku finding out his sword is missing.

Blackhawk748
2017-03-15, 08:08 PM
I think some sort of confrontation happened as Jack says "but Aku destroyed the way home", so something happened

Rater202
2017-03-15, 09:26 PM
Does anyone else get a sort of "simian" vibe from the Daughter's of Aku? Like, I look at their faces and I think of monkeys for some reason.

Scowling Dragon
2017-03-15, 09:50 PM
Does anyone else get a sort of "simian" vibe from the Daughter's of Aku? Like, I look at their faces and I think of monkeys for some reason.

Nose designs and head designs. Round Heads and Visible nostrils.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-03-15, 10:21 PM
No, that's how Roman numerals work. The smaller character at the beginning is a subtraction. This makes helps reduce the number of characters needed for certain numerals.

No, you're using a post-Medieval recalculation system, created as an attempt to keep people from switching to the far more useful Hindu-Arabic numerals. Inscriptions on Roman monuments show a strictly additive process. Documents seem to have no set pattern though, as the scribes often jot characters almost at random.

Lemmy
2017-03-16, 08:09 AM
Scaramouch calls Aku on his cell phone and Aku answers.Yes, but in what state is Aku? It seems like he hasn't been seen in a while. My current hypothesis is that he's too wounded/weakened to actually do anything other than bossing his minions around... We don't even know if the voice in the phone was really Aku, rather than a recording or impersonator.

That's why I added quotation marks to the word "final".

A Tad Insane
2017-03-16, 08:21 AM
We don't even know if the voice in the phone was really Aku, rather than a recording or impersonator.

You know, it would probably in character for Aku to have an answering machine that says "who is this? Hello? Hello?".

Him being wounded would also explain why he hasn't used his magic Tevo to see Jack doesn't have his sword.

endoperez
2017-03-16, 09:46 AM
No, you're using a post-Medieval recalculation system, created as an attempt to keep people from switching to the far more useful Hindu-Arabic numerals. Inscriptions on Roman monuments show a strictly additive process. Documents seem to have no set pattern though, as the scribes often jot characters almost at random.

:smallsigh:
Real life is currently in a post-Medieval period. It makes sense to interpret symbols and systems in post-Medieval manner.

The episode was nice. As has been mentioned, the mix between seriousness and comedy works well and is reminiscent of the old series.

I wonder how the series will handle the Daughters? Will they be a recurring threat, or recurring antagonists? If they keep their masks and stay interchangeable, it's one thing, but if they grow, change, become individuals etc, that's quite another thing.

I think only one of the Daughters was named so far. I'm assuming only one will be an individual, then, and the others will perish. Although it's also possible that the new show focuses on the Daughters for a while, and the rest become individuals in later episodes. Maybe the first episode gave the name of 1, second names another, and so on. Then on episode 8 they meet Jack for the first time, and some of them die after the audience has grown to know & like them.

t209
2017-03-16, 01:17 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/231/491/8c2.png
For those who didn't know, Spongebob voiced Scaramouche.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-03-16, 08:26 PM
I think only one of the Daughters was named so far. I'm assuming only one will be an individual, then, and the others will perish. Although it's also possible that the new show focuses on the Daughters for a while, and the rest become individuals in later episodes. Maybe the first episode gave the name of 1, second names another, and so on. Then on episode 8 they meet Jack for the first time, and some of them die after the audience has grown to know & like them.

They only have 10 episodes to work with, so Jack will be meeting the assassin sorority by XCV at the latest. That gives them three eps for the first act, establishing the story, three eps for escalation, three eps for resolution and a final ep to tie up the loose ends.

Doorhandle
2017-03-17, 01:21 AM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/231/491/8c2.png
For those who didn't know, Spongebob voiced Scaramouche.

That's just perfect. :smallbiggrin:

Probably because their faces are the only visible, non-black parts, like how apes have only the faces and hands naked of fur. Plus they climb about a lot.

Yana
2017-03-18, 10:47 PM
Hooooooooooly crap. That episode was just.

Aku is in therapy. With himself. This explains so much.

The cat and mouse battle between Jack and the Daughters was nerve-wracking. Even though Jack obviously couldn't die this early on in the season, it's clear that these women are playing on his level.

Of course, Jack isn't at his best anymore. Even moreso now that he knows that he isn't fighting "just nuts and bolts" anymore. The argument that he had with the echo of his younger self exemplifies just how dire his mental state is these days.

Also, WHO IS THAT DAMNED HORSEMAN?!

Doorhandle
2017-03-18, 11:32 PM
Hooooooooooly crap. That episode was just.

Aku is in therapy. With himself. This explains so much.

The cat and mouse battle between Jack and the Daughters was nerve-wracking. Even though Jack obviously couldn't die this early on in the season, it's clear that these women are playing on his level.

Of course, Jack isn't at his best anymore. Even moreso now that he knows that he isn't fighting "just nuts and bolts" anymore. The argument that he had with the echo of his younger self exemplifies just how dire his mental state is these days.

Also, WHO IS THAT DAMNED HORSEMAN?!

With you on the battle with the Daughters of Aku: it's easily one of the best in the whole series, not just in season 5.

I missed the Aku bit: had a lot of trouble finding a stream.
It's nice that Samurai Jack isn't giving the younger self the time of day, even if it does represent his understandable angst. Someone like Jack gets battered, but they don't become a wreck that easily. That aside, my theory on the horseman may need some tweaking... there was no sequence of carnage this time, just hallucinatory self-loathing. Perhaps it represents his inaction toward "honorable" seppuku? Becoming so apathetic he refuses to even die, just persisting as a self-gratifying warlord? Hmm. My own moral sense doesn't jive with that one. Even if it's their intent.

edit:
Maybe it represents said suicidal-thoughts? The figure only shows up when Jack's at his worst place mentally... it could be one of his ancestors "welcoming" him "home."

Speaking of, first time we see Jack killing a fellow human; he handled it better than I expected. From an out-of-series perspective, it's typical for a hero to have a breakdown at that part, but at the same time I would find it weird for a trained samurai to snap at that point. They showed a nice middle ground there.

A Tad Insane
2017-03-18, 11:50 PM
So, this season is amazing. The art flows beautifully, the landscapes are great, the action is gorgeously animated, all of it is great.

But is anyone else getting a weird "uncanny valley of Samurai Jack" from this? I mean, it looks like Jack, smells like Jack, but it just moves... WEIRD. And, even though I know objectively this is great, I can shake this feeling of... general off-ness. This isn't how Jack moved, this isn't how Jack sounded. I'm getting distressed by things that shouldn't distress me, and that's distressing me.

I've never actually been so worried about Jack before. Not when he was in the graveyard, not when he fought those wicker-bots, not even when he lost his shoes. In 15 minutes, the daughters of Aku have been more threatening to Jack than anything before.

And that's awesome!

I predict all but Ashi will get murderized next week without remorse, and Ashi will get a lot of post-murdered remorse, but not before Jack nearly dies.Though I am awful at predictions, so I'll probably be wrong

Doorhandle
2017-03-19, 12:29 AM
So, this season is amazing. The art flows beautifully, the landscapes are great, the action is gorgeously animated, all of it is great.

But is anyone else getting a weird "uncanny valley of Samurai Jack" from this? I mean, it looks like Jack, smells like Jack, but it just moves... WEIRD. And, even though I know objectively this is great, I can shake this feeling of... general off-ness. This isn't how Jack moved, this isn't how Jack sounded. I'm getting distressed by things that shouldn't distress me, and that's distressing me.

[/SPOILER]

Probably because Jack isn't acting like Jack: he's had 50 episodes of trauma we haven't witnessed. Likewise with Aku.
The same reason the show is so good is the same reason you're getting that "uncanny valley effect:" This darker direction isn't anything they haven't implied before, but it's suddenly become more noticeable.

The weariness Jack and Aku are experiencing was seen as early as episode 8, and has just been compounded over the timeskip... the uneasiness is because it's finally come to the forefront of the series, as it's main focus, not just a reoccuring aspect. The bloodshed in the new series is similar: we've seen dogs get crucified in the 1st episode, but we haven't seen carnage as direct as in this episode.

Lacuna Caster
2017-03-19, 08:37 AM
I'm surprised people were talking about a 'darker tone' in episode 1, since there's barely any blood and we had the scat-rhyming robo-merc adversary. That's barely budged from the tone of the original series.

But episode 2? Oh, yes. This is the good stuff. No punches pulled, no veil of allegory, just brutal, full-frontal action with real stakes and real cost. I think the only scene that compares with the daughters' assault might be the graveyard scene with aku (and, I will add, without the tonally-dissonant anticlimax.) Excellent. Gimme moar.

Lacuna Caster
2017-03-19, 08:44 AM
Can I also just say that the music in the tomb scene was fantastic? I mean, the direction and art design are and were always fabulous, obviously, but I don't remember the soundtrack being quite this good before.

I do find myself wondering what happened to the Scotsman and Sam-ur-ai and those fluffy 'jump good' dudes. Do I even want to know?

lord_khaine
2017-03-19, 09:02 AM
Hopefully at some point we will be introduced to the Scotsman Junior :smalltongue:

Spacewolf
2017-03-19, 09:39 AM
Don't think he's had a beating that bad since the warriors of Set and this time he didn't have an unbreakable sword or the help of a god.

A Tad Insane
2017-03-19, 11:21 AM
darker direction

No, it's not that. When I was talking about Jack, I meant the show Samurai Jack, not the samurai Samurai Jack. And what I meant more specifically is how the animation, pacing and music is very different.

Compare this episode with, say, Jack versus the ninja, or the hunters. They're all episodes where Jack is basically hunted by the enemy of the week, but old Jack (referring to seasons 1-4) would have those long scenes of atmosphere, the action would play out like quarter beats on a sheet of music, and a lot of other pretentious descriptions for a children's cartoon. Modern Jack has shown hints of it, such as when Jack is running through the rain, but it's definitely not the same show it was 15 years ago (SHOCK)

I'm absolutely adoring this season, and acknowledge that the things distressing me shouldn't, but still...

Lacuna Caster
2017-03-19, 11:30 AM
The pacing does seem different, now that you mention it. I haven't noticed any of those languid, lingering wide-angle suspense/buildup shots so far.

(I'm particularly curious about what happened with the big blue guardian fella, who was heavily hinted at yielding his time-portal to future jack. Is he hidden away, biding his time, or did Aku come down in person and stomp all over his face during the last five decades?)

Statute of limitations has to apply on spoilers by now.

Scowling Dragon
2017-03-19, 11:47 AM
Its a case of time. This show has 10 episodes. It has much less time to dilly dally sadly. I do agree that it was some of the best parts of the old show of the atmosphere, but retaining that AND having episode to episode continuity would easily tack on 5 more episodes to the episode count minimum.

A Tad Insane
2017-03-19, 11:56 AM
tack on 5 more episodes to the episode count minimum.

I fail to see the problem, other than people not liking nice things

Blackhawk748
2017-03-19, 12:12 PM
That, was glorious.

Well, Jack took that better than expected, though im gonna chalk that up to adreneline and i think he's gonna have issues later.

My personal theory about the horseman is that its Jack being called back to the way of Honor, to keep fighting, because it super imposed itself over the temple he hid in, and earlier it was standing over the bodies of the slain villagers, calling him to their aid.

I did like Aku's 4th wall lean, made me chuckle.

Scowling Dragon
2017-03-19, 12:45 PM
I fail to see the problem, other than people not liking nice things

Its a money problem sadly. AS is pretty budget tight all the time. :smallfrown:

99% of the world would be happy for even 20 Episodes. But Budget see?

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-19, 02:02 PM
They are just nuts and bolts. Just nuts and bolts.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/c4/c41220cfe4f7c510921d0f7dfa32199ff6b4ac6d7613ce0344 335d6e723e5fb6.jpg

Rater202
2017-03-19, 02:05 PM
Hopefully at some point we will be introduced to the Scotsman Junior :smalltongue:

Scotsman senior is still alive. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH728dbn21g)

lord_khaine
2017-03-19, 03:02 PM
Oh wow.. dam i had not expected him to live to that age. He got to be what 80-90?

Makes you think of Mad Hamish from discworld.

Morty
2017-03-19, 04:03 PM
I'm really impressed with how the show gives us the impression of a stalemate that has gone on long enough. Even Aku is tired of it. Jack has no answer towards his inner self's suicidal thoughts other than to keep running and hiding. It has to end, somehow.

Lacuna Caster
2017-03-19, 04:34 PM
Holy frack. He's gone all Mad Max as well. Okay, I'm sold.

t209
2017-03-19, 05:05 PM
Well, old and still kicking.
Apologies for pun.

Doorhandle
2017-03-19, 05:14 PM
Don't think he's had a beating that bad since the warriors of Set and this time he didn't have an unbreakable sword or the help of a god.

I noticed that as well. And these warriors were just nuts and bolts flesh and blood, which makes it particularly impressive. It's basically the equivalent of Jack fighting 7 of himself.
They were pretty tactical as well: Aiming for his weapons, lurking in ambush, alley trying to fight him at least 2 on one, and the one hit they did get off was a kidney shot.

lord_khaine
2017-03-19, 05:41 PM
I noticed that as well. And these warriors were just nuts and bolts flesh and blood, which makes it particularly impressive. It's basically the equivalent of Jack fighting 7 of himself.
They were petty tactical as well: Aiming for his weapons, lurking in ambush, alley trying to fight him at least 2 on one, and the one hit they did get off was a kidney shot.

Thats a rather significant R your missing in your sentence :smalltongue:

Doorhandle
2017-03-19, 06:02 PM
Thats a rather significant R your missing in your sentence :smalltongue:

Eh, not my best typo. Remember the Sludge Deacon?

Although, it does make me wonder what petty tactics would look like...

Scowling Dragon
2017-03-19, 06:32 PM
Tying his shoes? Taking his parking spot?

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-19, 06:51 PM
Asking him out on a date and then skipping out on the cheque?

Rater202
2017-03-19, 08:51 PM
So, the thought occurs to me that if Aku has all but given up on killing Jack but lets his minions try if they want to... He um, probably does not know about the Daughters of Aku or the cult that raised them.

A thing I've noticed in this and in previous seasons is that Aku, despite being literally made of evil, is not the most evil thing in the setting and that's frankly disturbing.

Scowling Dragon
2017-03-19, 08:57 PM
A thing I've noticed in this and in previous seasons is that Aku, despite being literally made of evil, is not the most evil thing in the setting and that's frankly disturbing.

Well hes Evil Given Human perpose. He likes his evil in verieties. Free to roam and destroy.

Its like a Sandbox campaign for Evil PCs.

Hir original incarnation would have simply devoured the entire world. But hes not that. He does have earth shattering power, but he doesn't like to use it. So he lets lots of other exotic evil roam free.

Brings up the evil value for potential investors.

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-19, 09:15 PM
I think failing so often and so completely has robbed Aku of all his confidence. If the shape shifting master of darkness can't defeat one lone warrior, then all his other achievements seem rather hollow.

It makes sense that his more evil-inclined servants would take matters into their own hands. They want their tyrannical master to get his groove back.

t209
2017-03-19, 09:31 PM
So, the thought occurs to me that if Aku has all but given up on killing Jack but lets his minions try if they want to... He um, probably does not know about the Daughters of Aku or the cult that raised them.

Maybe he found ruling to be more interesting and realize that "Torment them into paying tribute" to be more enjoyable than "blow up planets for joy".

Doorhandle
2017-03-20, 12:08 AM
Maybe he found ruling to be more interesting and realize that "Torment them into paying tribute" to be more enjoyable than "blow up planets for joy".

To quote another incarnate of absolute darkness and evil:

"Charnel, death is not the answer to everything."

"True... Torture also has its merits"

Speaking of Aku, how come this sequence hasn't become a meme yet?

http://i.imgur.com/4TvFLGk.jpg

It's both hilarious, and stunning creepy.

Lvl45DM!
2017-03-20, 12:24 AM
Ahhhhh yes i have a feeling im just going to be gushing about every episode.

Aku's therapy session was frigging brilliant and hilarious. Its interesting that Aku's version of talking to himself is alot more positive than Jacks. Aku is all like "So lets talk, yes its hard I understand" and Jack is all like "Seriously kill yourself".
The Daughters attack was gloriously brutal. They massively outmatch him all at once, and its nice to see how amazingly effective they are in working together. Haven't been this terrified for Jack since the Warriors of Set. That scene where, one by one, they find a place to hide and Jack walks into one trap after another! The glowbug/sword sparks fight scene! That entire scene in the temple!!!!! The music, and poor Jack was so effing scared! MY EMOTIONS!

And Jack has killed his first human. I like that he didn't overreact, but escaped instead. But its clearly affected him. Its going to damage him severely I think.

And the Daughters! How will they react? FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON SAMURAI JACK!

Lacuna Caster
2017-03-20, 04:56 AM
Aku is hilarious and all, but I think his tone might actually be a little off for this season. He's a fine saturday morning villain, but at the going rate he's gonna hafta up his game.

(Remind me what was the most evil thing in the setting, previous to the daughters' whole indoctrination shtick?)

Doorhandle
2017-03-20, 05:23 AM

I think that's the problem with a lot of "literally made of depravity" villains; they don't match up to the full breadth and foulness of human depravity
On the other hand, if they were on that level of depravity, we would have characters like "Violae-tarr, the rape engine" and frankly, no-one should want to watch that.
The closest to a character like that would probably be the ebon dragon; and even then it doesn;t show up in the setting that much, and
The closest to a work like would be Garth Ennis' work on the authority, and even then his villains were "merely" posthumans.

I'd probably abandon this show if it went in that direction, and I doubt it ever will.

Lacuna Caster
2017-03-20, 05:55 AM
I'd mention that maximising 'the greater evil' tends to muddy the ethical waters as much as pursuing 'the greater good' can for the white hats. I'm not sure Aku is that kind of villain, but he might recognise the practical upsides of not exterminating his entire workforce, or something. All depends on whether he's going for quality or quantity, evil-wise.

Rater202
2017-03-20, 10:12 AM
(Remind me what was the most evil thing in the setting, previous to the daughters' whole indoctrination shtick?)

Well, Aku's robotic minions seem more willing to hurt children than Aku himself is.

Aku finds ou that children are mocking him and love Jack, so he brings the children to his lair and... reads them fairy tales in an attempt to endear himself to them and/or make Jack look bad. during this time, he changes stories to accomodate the children's tastes and allows them to question him, and when his plan fails he allows the children to go home unharmed.

Compared to robots that slaughter whole villages, presumably children and all.

Or to that apparently unrelated demon that ate a family's souls, save for the youngest daughter who it used as bait to lure in more souls to be devoured with the implication that it would eat her as soon as she stopped being useful.

-D-
2017-03-20, 10:51 AM
Wait, how did Aku destroy all time portals?

I distinctly remember at least one portal guarded (http://samuraijack.wikia.com/wiki/The_Guardian) by a creature that defeated Jack in combat. Aku can't defeat Jack, and he shouldn't be able to destroy the Guardian or that Time Portal either.

EDIT: In fact, that Guardian is prophesied to be defeated by a bearded Jack in red robes (https://i.redd.it/mk1j7bwerdly.png). When Jack lost his sword when he still had the beard - so either the fight at that portal hasn't happened, or the prophesy is bogus (which seems wasteful).

Rater202
2017-03-20, 11:02 AM

I distinctly remember at least one portal guarded (http://samuraijack.wikia.com/wiki/The_Guardian) by a creature that defeated Jack in combat. Aku can't defeat Jack, and he shouldn't be able to destroy the Guardian or that Time Portal either.

EDIT: In fact, that Guardian is prophesied to be defeated by a bearded Jack in red robes (https://i.redd.it/mk1j7bwerdly.png). When Jack lost his sword when he still had the beard - so either the fight at that portal hasn't happened, or the prophesy is bogus (which seems wasteful).

1: In any setting where a Prophecy and time travel exists, time travel can be used to invalidate a prophecy.

2: Aku can only be harmed by Divine Magic and the essence of pure human goodness(Jack's sword includes both), so in theory, he could have beaten the Guardian just from the Guardian being unable to harm Aku.

3: Jack might be excluding that portal due to believing that he's not the one destined to use it--Also the Jack in the mirror has gray streaks in his beard/hair, implying that that Jack aged and our Jack has not

Lvl45DM!
2017-03-20, 11:19 AM
Well, Aku's robotic minions seem more willing to hurt children than Aku himself is.

Aku finds ou that children are mocking him and love Jack, so he brings the children to his lair and... reads them fairy tales in an attempt to endear himself to them and/or make Jack look bad. during this time, he changes stories to accomodate the children's tastes and allows them to question him, and when his plan fails he allows the children to go home unharmed.

Compared to robots that slaughter whole villages, presumably children and all.

Or to that apparently unrelated demon that ate a family's souls, save for the youngest daughter who it used as bait to lure in more souls to be devoured with the implication that it would eat her as soon as she stopped being useful.

Who is more evil, the one who murders a child, or the one who raises a child to murder children?

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-20, 11:49 AM
2: Aku can only be harmed by Divine Magic and the essence of pure human goodness(Jack's sword includes both), so in theory, he could have beaten the Guardian just from the Guardian being unable to harm Aku.

Having re-watched Jack vs. the Undead, I'll note that Aku can be damn scary when he's free to use the full extent of his powers. There seem to be no limit to his shapeshifting — he extends his body over the entire graveyard at one point and finally catches Jack by running his tentacles through the ground — and he can use eye beams, fire breath, etc.

Keltest
2017-03-20, 12:02 PM

Well, the reason Jack can beat Aku is because of his magic sword. Unless the Guardian has something similar, Aku could eventually wear him down by virtue of being functionally unstoppable.

Having said that, I think its more likely that Jack was not speaking literally, and that he used "destroyed" to mean "made inaccessible through various means".

Rogar Demonblud
2017-03-20, 12:19 PM
Except during his self-reflection therapy session, Aku also says he hunted down and destroyed every time portal.

Keltest
2017-03-20, 12:23 PM
Except during his self-reflection therapy session, Aku also says he hunted down and destroyed every time portal.

well obviously if he missed one, he wouldn't know about it.

Lvl45DM!
2017-03-20, 12:24 PM
well obviously if he missed one, he wouldn't know about it.

Dammit beat to the punch.
I doubt we will see the guardian however. I think we will see Jack beat Aku in the future.

-D-
2017-03-20, 03:17 PM
Well, the reason Jack can beat Aku is because of his magic sword. Unless the Guardian has something similar, Aku could eventually wear him down by virtue of being functionally unstoppable.

Guardian was unscathed by missiles. I'd say that points towards him having similar abilities. Also Jack's sword didn't fail against the Guardian. Whatever he is, I'd say the Guardian is stronger than Aku.

Yuki Akuma
2017-03-20, 04:01 PM
Jack's sword working on the Guardian simply means the Guardian isn't a 100% pure soul. Jack's sword works on the Scotsman too, and he's not an evil robot or horrifying demon - just a somewhat less-than-pure human.

Lacuna Caster
2017-03-20, 04:17 PM
I remembered Aku's fairy-tales, but I completely forgot about that nightmare-fuel house-possession episode. No sleep tonight.

Of course, the village-slaughtering robots were all, like, acting on Aku's orders, and at least one of his early henchmen steals the souls of his adversaries (even if Demongo is nowhere near as freaky as that horse demon.) I'd like to believe in cuddly loveable Aku softened by decades of exposure to his mortal underlings, but given his sheer recurring death toll I have to assume he was just polishing his propaganda methods.

On the subject of the guardian: Time Travel shenanigans aren't really the point here so much as checkov's gun, I guess? Then again, Aku legitimately might not know that portal exists?

Having re-watched Jack vs. the Undead, I'll note that Aku can be damn scary when he's free to use the full extent of his powers. There seem to be no limit to his shapeshifting — he extends his body over the entire graveyard at one point and finally catches Jack by running his tentacles through the ground — and he can use eye beams, fire breath, etc.
Oh, absolutely, and it's a fantastic scene. Except for the letdown ending.

jollysunflora
2017-03-20, 05:37 PM
Saturday's episode got me shook...

Lvl45DM!
2017-03-20, 10:19 PM
I remembered Aku's fairy-tales, but I completely forgot about that nightmare-fuel house-possession episode. No sleep tonight.

Of course, the village-slaughtering robots were all, like, acting on Aku's orders, and at least one of his early henchmen steals the souls of his adversaries (even if Demongo is nowhere near as freaky as that horse demon.) I'd like to believe in cuddly loveable Aku softened by decades of exposure to his mortal underlings, but given his sheer recurring death toll I have to assume he was just polishing his propaganda methods.

On the subject of the guardian: Time Travel shenanigans aren't really the point here so much as checkov's gun, I guess? Then again, Aku legitimately might not know that portal exists?

Oh, absolutely, and it's a fantastic scene. Except for the letdown ending.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Great ending. Aku's GREAT FLAMING EYEBROWS go out!
Had to happen. We were getting hints about the sword all that season because it ended with Jacks dad forging it.

Hatu
2017-03-20, 11:26 PM
Well now. I figured any hope of concluding Samurai Jack died with Mako. As nervous as I m about he whole 'darker and edgier' bit, I am glad to see Jack again. And I'm glad this is going to be a definitive finale.

As for the first two episodes, they were okay. I don't much care for angsty Jack, and I'm skeptical the Daughters of Aku are the sort of villain who can permit a satisfying ending. But the action and music are great, the visuals are still a treat and it does (for the most part) feel like Samurai Jack. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

One thing I've noticed, though. There's a lot of speculation over how Jack will handle having killed a flesh-and-blood human. Personally, I don't think that should be a big deal to him. Jack's a samurai, trained for battle his whole life. I don't see why killing would be a big taboo for him. Jack isn't Batman or Vash the Stampede; he's never had a sworn code vs killing before.

Sure, killing an innocent would be a traumatic event. And I think he'd prefer to spare the lives of his opponents when they're clearly no match for him. But as long he's fighting a dangerous opponent in combat, I don't see the problem with using lethal force. And frankly, given how 'real' some of those robots were, it would feel a bit hypocritical to dismiss them simply because they're synthetic.

Now I do think Jack would react badly if he ever learned the backstory of the Daughters; they are essentially brainwashed kids, after all. But it seems unlikely he'll get that information anytime soon, and even if he did, killing them would be only slightly more disturbing than their mere existence.

-H

Lacuna Caster
2017-03-21, 06:59 AM
Had to happen. We were getting hints about the sword all that season because it ended with Jacks dad forging it.
*waggles fists* Earn your victories, damnit!

I just got it pointed out to me that the music for the tomb scene was based of the ecstacy of gold (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOr0na6mKJQ) from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Apparently they did not (https://noisey.vice.com/en_ca/article/scoring-the-ultimate-darkness-of-samurai-jack) get James Venable back for this season, which surprises me a little, but I can't argue with results.

*sigh* I do miss Mako's voice, though.

Scowling Dragon
2017-03-21, 07:19 AM

We all do. :smallfrown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYrSUysA5cQ

Voice of an Angel

LaZodiac
2017-03-21, 09:21 AM

Mako was a ****ing treasure and while his voice replacement is good he'll never BE Aku in the same way Mako was, and I think it's important to realize that and move on.

Rater202
2017-03-21, 10:20 AM
Mako was a ****ing treasure and while his voice replacement is good he'll never BE Aku in the same way Mako was, and I think it's important to realize that and move on.

The show even lampshades it when Aku says he's a new Aku.

Incidentally, in terms of what Mako and his replacement sound like, I can't tell the differance.

Keltest
2017-03-21, 11:18 AM
The show even lampshades it when Aku says he's a new Aku.

Incidentally, in terms of what Mako and his replacement sound like, I can't tell the differance.

The new Aku growls a little bit more, I think, when he speaks, but other than that I couldn't tell. I don't think I would have noticed except I was specifically looking for any differences.

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-21, 05:15 PM
You want to know how evil Aku is?

In the Samurai Jack comics IDW put out, Aku took the form of a beautiful geisha for months and waited until Jack confessed his feelings for "her," at which point he suddenly transformed into Aku.

There wasn't even, like, a time portal involved or anything. He did this just to be a d**k.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-03-22, 10:58 AM
And now I'm suddenly wondering if that cult leader is another Aspect of Aku, and just who the father of the death squad is...

Lacuna Caster
2017-03-22, 07:52 PM
Nope. When the sun burns out and the earth is left a charred cinder, I'll still be there, grousing about replacement voice actors from a cartoon I saw in my twenties.

In the Samurai Jack comics IDW put out, Aku took the form of a beautiful geisha for months and waited until Jack confessed his feelings for "her," at which point he suddenly transformed into Aku.
I thought I read those comics, and I never noticed that storyline. (The gender-bender issue with the leprechaun curse cracked me up, btw.)

Aku has the patience to fake being a dainty love-interest for months, but doesn't think to slit Jack's throat in a moment of post-coital lassitude? Pfft.

The Glyphstone
2017-03-22, 08:04 PM
Aku has the patience to fake being a dainty love-interest for months, but doesn't think to slit Jack's throat in a moment of post-coital lassitude? Pfft.

He probably could have, but he didn't, because then he couldn't do the aforementioned reveal. He can only kill Jack once, and when he does, he stops being able to hurt him first. That's evil.

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-22, 09:45 PM
He probably could have, but he didn't, because then he couldn't do the aforementioned reveal. He can only kill Jack once, and when he does, he stops being able to hurt him first. That's evil.

Yes. Also, Aku uses white make-up as part of his disguise. That would have rubbed off during lovemaking.

LaZodiac
2017-03-23, 12:09 AM
This was also an episode of the show.

Hiro Protagonest
2017-03-23, 12:12 AM
This was also an episode of the show.

No. There was an episode where Aku takes the form of a warrior a woman. They track down something that could help Jack and Aku reveals himself and destroys it.

Metahuman1
2017-03-23, 02:29 AM
Ok, I'm trying to watch the episodes. I made and logged into an adult swim account. I told them who my provider was and I DO have access to Cartoon Network through them.

It just takes me to a screen with an endless circle and never actually plays the ep.

I have broadband, and I have Adblock turned off.

Why can't I watch this?! Is this a think with the website?

Doorhandle
2017-03-23, 04:58 AM
Might be. I had to find an alternate stream...

Rogar Demonblud
2017-03-23, 10:21 AM
The website is notoriously erratic, and doesn't play well with others (particularly Comcast, although I'm quite ready to pin that on Comcast). Yeah, you might want to find another option.

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-23, 12:22 PM
To be honest, the new Samurai Jack episodes have been uploaded to Youtube almost immediately after airing.

But if you want a more legitimate way of watching the show, you can download an Adult Swim app that gives you access to most of their animated series, just in case you're in the mood to, say, marathon-watch Squidbillies.

It does take a couple of days for the new episodes to be uploaded via app, though.

Admiral Squish
2017-03-23, 12:25 PM
I had the same problem with the Adult Swim site. Just.. never loaded. Don't know why. there are places to watch it if you look around, though. Just make sure your antivirus is on...

BannedInSchool
2017-03-23, 06:12 PM
It just takes me to a screen with an endless circle and never actually plays the ep.

I have broadband, and I have Adblock turned off.

In Chrome you'll also have to tell it to run all plugins, I believe.

A Tad Insane
2017-03-26, 12:24 AM
*breaths deep*

Thaaaaaaaaaaaats the stuff. That's the silence I've missed. That was the brilliant minimalism I loved. Heck, this whole episode felt like it was made 15 years ago, and I mean that in the best way possible.
It also seems that, while Genndy forgot some of the shenanigans are temporally displaced shogun found himself in, reverse-ninja-ing and seeing with his ears are still things he can do. Let's just hope he keeps his immunity to fall damage he got while climbing that mountain and learning to jump good.

And as for the Daughters of Aku, any one of them being a love interest for our bushido bound knight seem very unlikely, and for once it's not due to the fact that Jack spent his entire pubescent life learning how to fight an unspeakable evil. I mean, Ashi, babe, you don't tell the guy who was offering to spare you to die when he is all but literally holding your life in his hand, have some tack!

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-26, 12:47 AM
If I suddenly stop posting, it's because I died of a heart attack watching Samurai Jack.

"You've survived worse!" LIKE WHEN?!

Feel sorry for the Daughters. To not even know what a deer is or to recognize a basic show of affection ... Their mother really neglected their non-assassin education. Evil cow.

That said, I don't think Ashi is dead. She fell into roughly the same area as Jack, and if that fall doesn't kill Jack, it probably won't kill her.

Rater202
2017-03-26, 01:49 AM
Jack's "Seppeku" inner voice had fangs and seemed monsterous--kind of like "Jerk Jack" from Aku's fairy tales... I'm honestly wondering if this isn't going to result in the re-manifestation of Mad Jack at somepoint.

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-26, 02:12 AM
Jack's "Seppeku" inner voice had fangs and seemed monsterous--kind of like "Jerk Jack" from Aku's fairy tales... I'm honestly wondering if this isn't going to result in the re-manifestation of Mad Jack at somepoint.

Fanged Jack was different from the vision that urged Jack to end it all. That represented Jack's despair. Fanged Jack openly mocked his desire for death and his feelings of guilt. If I had to guess, it represented Jack's thirst for violence.

Doorhandle
2017-03-26, 04:34 AM
Fanged Jack was different from the vision that urged Jack to end it all. That represented Jack's despair. Fanged Jack openly mocked his desire for death and his feelings of guilt. If I had to guess, it represented Jack's thirst for violence.

I think it's his self-loathing, personally.

Also, No-one else going "Holy ****, Jack killed two of the daughters in almost as many seconds before getting a third?" Because dang. Little sad that the daughters aren't going to last longer.

HandofShadows
2017-03-26, 07:17 AM
Loved Jack's expresion as she was ranting at him. It was just ""I am SO over this."

A Tad Insane
2017-03-26, 10:34 AM
"You've survived worse!" LIKE WHEN?!

What immediately springs to mind is having his face slammed against a mountain while in free fall, and the minions of set

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-26, 11:48 AM
What immediately springs to mind is having his face slammed against a mountain while in free fall, and the minions of set

Geez, I don't know. Even I felt that 'pulling out the dagger' scene. That's how painful it was.

Spacewolf
2017-03-26, 11:57 AM
Geez, I don't know. Even I felt that 'pulling out the dagger' scene. That's how painful it was.

I think the minions of Set beating was supposed to be worse they just couldn't show it as much, to be honest the minions of set would have worked really well in the new series.

LaZodiac
2017-03-26, 12:05 PM
So of the Daughters that fell into the abyss, the one who he punched is just ****ing dead her neck broke. So there are at most two left, assuming the others are all confirmed killed. Wow.

Also...the thing that really gets me about this episode is this. Jack has a revelation that killing them is okay because this is the path they've chosen. But...what'll happen when he realizes this is a lie? He didn't know it, but these girls didn't choose this. The scene with the deer is evidence of this, if the fact that they were raised from birth to kill Jack wasn't enough indication. How will he feel knowing that he's killed people who are just as much victims as he is?

Rater202
2017-03-26, 12:15 PM
So of the Daughters that fell into the abyss, the one who he punched is just ****ing dead her neck broke. So there are at most two left, assuming the others are all confirmed killed. Wow.

Also...the thing that really gets me about this episode is this. Jack has a revelation that killing them is okay because this is the path they've chosen. But...what'll happen when he realizes this is a lie? He didn't know it, but these girls didn't choose this. The scene with the deer is evidence of this, if the fact that they were raised from birth to kill Jack wasn't enough indication. How will he feel knowing that he's killed people who are just as much victims as he is?

Possibly by going after their mother?

I've predicted that Jack will get his sword back but be unable to cut one of the daughters(Ashi seems to be the only one left) with it because they're not evil--they were raised to belive that Jack was and that Aku was rightous--and that Jack would not take that revelation well.

LaZodiac
2017-03-26, 12:18 PM
Possibly by going after their mother?

I've predicted that Jack will get his sword back but be unable to cut one of the daughters(Ashi seems to be the only one left) with it because they're not evil--they were raised to belive that Jack was and that Aku was rightous--and that Jack would not take that revelation well.

Speaking of, I think the wolf is the sword.

Rater202
2017-03-26, 12:26 PM
Speaking of, I think the wolf is the sword.

Possibly, but I think it's just a living metaphor for Jack--a grizzled old beast that's tired but not going to give up.

Hatu
2017-03-26, 12:30 PM
Disappointing episode. Lots of nice ideas, but the pacing really seemed off. It's particularly bad because the trailer edits worked so much better than the full scenes in the episode.

First up, I'm glad we didn't get extended scenes of Jack moping about killing a human assassin. And with only 10 episodes, I don't think it would be a good idea to spend a whole episode seeing Jack escape long enough to heal up. Even so, what we got makes very little sense.

I mean, just how long did it take the Daughters to find Jack? Given his injury and the obvious trail of blood, it's hard to believe it would take them more than a day to overtake him. The visuals aren't definitive, but that seems to line up with the Daughters resting for one night. But it really undercuts the 'severity' of that dagger wound if Jack can just walk it off the next day (or even the day after). Really, what was the point of playing up the wound if we're just going to ignore it immediately after.

Next up, the curbstomp battle between Jack and the Daughters. On the one hand, it makes sense. Their training may have been comparable to his when he was a child, but Jack got to learn fighting styles from all over the world, while they were trained exclusively by a small cult. Combine that with the 50 years of additional experience Jack has and the fact that this time he's the one ambushing them, and there really is no way they should be able to stand up to him for long. On the other hand, it's not particularly satisfying to see a theoretically formidable opponent trounces so effortlessly, and it's made worse when the last episode went to such lengths to show Jack didn't get away unscathed.

And yeah, I'm sure at least one of them survived, but we've clearly seen the last of the daughters as a major threat that could push Jack to his limits. Very mixed feelings about this. Guess we'll have to see what comes next.

Also, last thought on the horseman. He's always surrounded by that greenish haze. There was a similar green hue in the pit when Jack lost his sword. Could the horseman be connected with that? Not much to go on, but it might be a way to tie his appearance into the story as more than just a delusion (since we already have blue-ghost young Jack for that).

Just my thoughts.

-H

Blackhawk748
2017-03-26, 01:26 PM
Good lord

So, that ended quickly. I love the throwback to Jack's Ninja battle and how Jack can utterly destroy the Daughters once hes got his calm back. I mean, he was a mess when they fist ran into him, and now its like he's coming to terms with what he is and what he has to do. Kinda nice.

Also, he sewed his wound shut with bark and a bone, he is so Heavy Metal.

BannedInSchool
2017-03-26, 02:06 PM
I was expecting the DoA to last longer than that, being a bigger part of the season, but I guess it'll just be Ashi. Also a nice touch to have some sympathy for the DoA but also want to smack them.

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-26, 02:27 PM
Sure, the Daughters of Aku were death on two legs when they were at full strength, had the element of surprise and could use the shadows of a ruined temple to their advantage.

However, those black suits put them at a tactical disadvantage in a snow-covered forest, and Jack was ready to take them on. Once their numbers were whittled down, they were no match for Jack's experience and strength.

Personally, this is exactly how I expected things to turn out, minus the part ...

... about Ashi and Jack falling off the log.

Dark_Jester
2017-03-26, 02:54 PM
Is this a series I can just jump into, or do I have to have watched it from the beginning to understand what's happened?

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-26, 03:04 PM
Is this a series I can just jump into, or do I have to have watched it from the beginning to understand what's happened?

There's not really a lot of continuity in the first four seasons, so you're safe to start up with Season 5. All you need to know is this:

1) In ancient times, there was a demon sorceror named Aku who wanted to take over the world. The gods gave a Japanese emperor a magic sword that was the only thing that could hurt him. Aku was temporarily defeated.

2) Aku returned years later and defeated the emperor. However, the emperor's son was trained in secret to defeat Aku.

3) The son, now an adult samurai, returned to defeat Aku. Before the final blow was struck, however, Aku tore open a portal in time.

4) The samurai was flung into the far future where Aku was not only Earth's master, but had spread his influence across the galaxy. He took the name Jack.

5) NOW THAT FOOL SEEKS TO RETURN TO THE PAST, AND UNDO THE FUTURE THAT IS AKU!

-D-
2017-03-26, 04:53 PM
Possibly, but I think it's just a living metaphor for Jack--a grizzled old beast that's tired but not going to give up.
This was a great episode.
I too think, it's just a metaphor for Jack, but I was wrong. I guess, the beast and him are kindred spirits, but nothing more.

Morty
2017-03-26, 05:08 PM

It's pretty clear the wolf caused Jack's wounds to heal quickly. That, and it came just when he needed it. It's supernatural in some fashion.

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-26, 08:01 PM
Interesting parallel.

https://twitter.com/staroftherogue/status/846138703613431810

BannedInSchool
2017-03-26, 09:14 PM
It's pretty clear the wolf caused Jack's wounds to heal quickly. That, and it came just when he needed it. It's supernatural in some fashion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wound_licking

Saliva contains cell-derived tissue factor, and many compounds that are antibacterial or promote healing.

So that's a real thing, not necessarily supernatural.

t209
2017-03-26, 09:21 PM
Yes. Also, Aku uses white make-up as part of his disguise. That would have rubbed off during lovemaking.
No no no, he can go for Jack without pleasure. Just ran towards him after "dressing down".
Also new episode.
One episode in and remaining six are off, possibly except Ashi.
Also anyone thinking about Twilight Sparkle cosplaying as her.

Lacuna Caster
2017-03-27, 08:37 AM
Disappointing episode. Lots of nice ideas, but the pacing really seemed off. It's particularly bad because the trailer edits worked so much better than the full scenes in the episode.
Me too!
EDIT: Ughh. Spoilers, I guess.
Yeah, I'm constantly thinking 'geez, how much blood does this guy even have?'. And I'm similarly disappointed that most of the daughters are written off so quickly, given that Jack started off with much better equipment and no injuries during their last engagement. Though I guess it's an interesting callback to the shinobi warrior episode?

Lacuna Caster
2017-03-27, 08:43 AM
If I suddenly stop posting, it's because I died of a heart attack watching Samurai Jack.
Feel sorry for the Daughters. To not even know what a deer is or to recognize a basic show of affection ... Their mother really neglected their non-assassin education. Evil cow.

That said, I don't think Ashi is dead. She fell into roughly the same area as Jack, and if that fall doesn't kill Jack, it probably won't kill her.
I'd be interested to see where that goes as well. I have to assume that one or more of the daughters will live long enough to get some development. I'm guessing that Ashi will be left badly injured while Jack more-or-less shrugs off the fall, leaving the latter with the... option of sparing her, or possibly giving first aid.

-D-
2017-03-27, 11:45 AM
Their mother really neglected their non-assassin education. Evil cow.

What did you expect, when your mother is Azula :smalltongue:

Jack has a revelation that killing them is okay because this is the path they've chosen. But...what'll happen when he realizes this is a lie? He didn't know it, but these girls didn't choose this. The scene with the deer is evidence of this, if the fact that they were raised from birth to kill Jack wasn't enough indication. How will he feel knowing that he's killed people who are just as much victims as he is?
He did give them a choice - then and there. He gave them a way out, and they refused it. What's he supposed to do - let them kill him, because they were raised by insane matriarchs?

Arguably, these girls aren't much different than the princess (from Princess and the Bounty Hunters) trying to catch Jack for her Bounty? Arguably she is just also victim of Aku, as much as these girls are. Although, she is at least aware of her predicament.

LaZodiac
2017-03-27, 12:00 PM
What did you expect, when your mother is Azula :smalltongue:

He did give them a choice - then and there. He gave them a way out, and they refused it. What's he supposed to do - let them kill him, because they were raised by insane matriarchs?

Arguably, these girls aren't much different than the princess (from Princess and the Bounty Hunters) trying to catch Jack for her Bounty? Arguably she is just also victim of Aku, as much as these girls are. Although, she is at least aware of her predicament.

He gave a choice of "live or die" to people who don't know what "live" means. It's, I think, a level of agency that makes the difference. The Princess is a victim of Aku, but she's aware things could be better. The Daughters saw a deer and since it had horns they went "Aah, father! He will kill this creature!" and they stayed to watch cause that would be fun and then it just did a nose nuzzle and they're like "...what is this? Why is there no blood and death?" and it's just...I don't think, genuinely, any of the sisters except for maybe Ashi are physically or mentally capable of anything BUT killing. They're just nuts and bolts, made of flesh and blood and bone instead of machinery, but they are just "robots" in that sense.

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-27, 12:39 PM
I'd be interested to see where that goes as well. I have to assume that one or more of the daughters will live long enough to get some development. I'm guessing that Ashi will be left badly injured while Jack more-or-less shrugs off the fall, leaving the latter with the... option of sparing her, or possibly giving first aid.

Actually, based on the promos, I suspect in the next episode they'll have to help each other escape a situation that threatens them both.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-03-27, 01:14 PM
That's the description in the preview squib as well.

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-27, 01:26 PM
Actually, based on the promos, I suspect in the next episode they'll have to help each other escape a situation that threatens them both.

That's the description in the preview squib as well.

AND THEN THEY WILL GET MARRIED AND HAVE LOTS OF BABIES

At least, that's how it happened in my fanfic. :smalltongue:

-D-
2017-03-27, 02:32 PM
I don't think, genuinely, any of the sisters except for maybe Ashi are physically or mentally capable of anything BUT killing. They're just nuts and bolts, made of flesh and blood and bone instead of machinery, but they are just "robots" in that sense.
That's not the point. Suppose a hypothetical cultist is charging at you with a knife. You have a gun, what will you do? The most sensible thing is to warn them, then defend yourself.

I guess, Samurai could have gone for non lethal approach, but that approach has its own risks. Namely the difficulty of disabling an opponent in such high risk situations.

LaZodiac
2017-03-27, 02:36 PM
That's not the point. Suppose a hypothetical cultist is charging at you with a knife. You have a gun, what will you do? The most sensible thing is to warn them, then defend yourself.

I guess, Samurai could have gone for non lethal approach, but that approach has its own risks. Namely the difficulty of disabling an opponent in such high risk situations.

Oh yeah no I'm not saying he did the only reasonable decision in this situation, but I do feel it's going to be a thing that comes up. This realization that they didn't REALLY have a choice. He's definitely gonna hunt down the Mother of course.

-D-
2017-03-27, 03:04 PM
He's definitely gonna hunt down the Mother of course.
My money is on Ashi, saving her mother in a scene that mirrors her training. Then her mother attacks and either gets taken out or falls to her death.

Ashi becomes the female equivalent of Scotsman.

Rater202
2017-03-27, 06:41 PM
The most tragic thing about the Daughters is that Aku has no idea they exist and might not even know about the Cult--and that the Mother doesn't realize that any of Aku's minions or worshipers can just walk into his fortress to offer tribute.

Anyway, some people on TVtropes have predicted that Either Jack is going to die at the end or find his way back to the past, and Ashi will either take up his sword or take his place in the fight against Aku in the future, resulting in a sequel series about Ashi.

Not sure how I'd feel about that.

Scowling Dragon
2017-03-27, 07:57 PM
I really won't like Ashi taking the show over. You kinda can't do that after what will be 5 seasons of a character I have grown to really enjoy.

As for choices no they still did. Maybe the people that Attacked Jacks Father had their children hostage, or where also raised in a death cult.

I guess jacks father was a believer in indeterminism.

Hatu
2017-03-27, 07:59 PM
The most tragic thing about the Daughters is that Aku has no idea they exist and might not even know about the Cult--and that the Mother doesn't realize that any of Aku's minions or worshipers can just walk into his fortress to offer tribute.

Anyway, some people on TVtropes have predicted that Either Jack is going to die at the end or find his way back to the past, and Ashi will either take up his sword or take his place in the fight against Aku in the future, resulting in a sequel series about Ashi.

I'm pretty sure I'd despise that. I suppose brilliant execution might salvage it, but I'd certainly bet against it working.

It's not that the idea itself could never work, just that it feels supremely out of place in "Samurai Jack." This was never a show about philosophical crises or tragic failures, it was a show about triumphing against seemingly impossible odds and looking awesome doing it. It would be like ending "Star Wars" with the rebels dying and Han telling their story in a bar, or ending "Hamlet" with the uncle arrested for regicide and Hamlet ruling Denmark wisely and well for the rest of his days.

If Jack never completes *his* quest, if he doesn't 'undo the evil that is Aku,' it would feel like a real kick in the teeth. But if he does complete his quest, Aishi's struggles wouldn't be very interesting. Blech.

Besides, I think it's serious mistake to worry about setting up a sequel series when you haven't finished the series you're working on. Keep your eye on the ball. You can worry about the next project once the current one is a success.

-H

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-27, 11:21 PM
Interesting bit of trivia: the bandits (assassins?) with the faceless masks that were slain by Jack's father in the flashback also appear in Season 2 Episode 6, the one where Jack finds the ruins of his old home.

During that episode, four of the box-hatted bandits stand on a bridge and block the path of an older man and a child, who appear to be a Lawyer-Friendly Cameo (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LawyerFriendlyCameo) of Lone Wolf and Cub.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qKqdDYLi0Lw

-D-
2017-03-28, 04:59 AM

Sure, and people here predicted Jack and Ashi get married, so? It's a prediction a group on Internet made.

Anyway, I predict Jack's true mission is defeat Aku in future and past, because this world works on Parallel Realities, and Jack killing Aku in past, won't undo the future. Plus he needs to practice.

Jack failing here would be the worst kind of bitch slap to his audiences. The show was always about overcoming overwhelming odds. To have protagonist fail at the ultimate chapter, is just disappointing and anger inducing - it's like if Romeo and Juliet poisoning was actually a ploy on Romeo's part to kill Juliet, and that's revealed after she drinks the poison. It's going to be a huge whiplash.

Hiro Protagonest
2017-03-28, 09:07 AM
Anyway, I predict Jack's true mission is defeat Aku in future and past, because this world works on Parallel Realities, and Jack killing Aku in past, won't undo the future. Plus he needs to practice.

There's no evidence for this. If Jack truly believed this, he would never have sought the time portal before killing Future Aku. Leaving the future in Aku's hands would be far worse than two monks dying.

Keltest
2017-03-28, 10:06 AM
There's no evidence for this. If Jack truly believed this, he would never have sought the time portal before killing Future Aku. Leaving the future in Aku's hands would be far worse than two monks dying.

Jack wouldn't be the person he is if he was able to ignore the suffering of other people like that for his own goals, even if it would, in theory, prevent that suffering. And one of the reasons Jack is a threat to Aku is specifically because of what kind of a person he is.

Hiro Protagonest
2017-03-29, 01:55 PM
...But Jack was explicitly seeking out the time portals, he just wouldn't stand the suffering right in front of him.

Jack, at least younger Jack, is a fine hero, but a terrible king.

Giggling Ghast
2017-03-29, 02:29 PM
I sometimes wonder if the shadowy rider represents the royal mantle that Jack would have to assume upon returning to the past and defeating Aku. At some point, his father would no longer be able to assume the duties of rebuilding and ruling the kingdom, so it would fall to Jack. Does he fear that he would be a bad Emperor? It's not like he's had a lot of practice at statecraft.

endoperez
2017-03-29, 07:59 PM

Plotwise, yes. But the show was never about the plot, it was about the tone and the amazing visual design.

The new season plays with the tone of the earlier seasons. Without knowing how the battles used to be intense but bloodless, the emphasis on blood will be cool but also a bit weird. Without knowing how Jack was portrayed in earlier seasons (unwaveringly heroic), the changes in the new one will not stand out.

I would advice you to watch some of the highest-rated episodes, to get a feeling for it. You don't need to watch anywhere near all of it, just a few random ones to get the tone and to enjoy the visuals.

If you only watch one episode, I suggest Four Seasons of Death (S4E03), because it showcases four short stories. It's the quickest way to get the tone and the feeling. If you want to see more, some of the following might be interesting:

Episode XI (Jack and the Scotsman, S1E11) introduces the only supporting character expected to make a comeback. Jack and the Traveling Creatures (S3E06) might also get referenced at some point.

Three Blind Archers (S1E07) and Samurai vs Ninja (S4E01) have beautiful visual direction and show some of Jack's "trained with everyone to become the best at everything" backstory.

Jack and the Hunters (S2E09) showcase Jack facing a powerful group of opponents, which has parallels to some stuff in the new season.

Tale of X-9 (S4E11) is from the viewpoint of an evil minion sent to kill Jack. Not a typical episode, but a cool and well-liked one.

Hiro Protagonest
2017-03-29, 08:01 PM
Don't forget Birth of Evil Parts 1 and 2.

And of course the first two episodes.

endoperez
2017-03-29, 08:58 PM
Don't forget Birth of Evil Parts 1 and 2.

And of course the first two episodes.

I don't think the plot or the backstory is that relevant for this series, so I intentionally didn't mention those.
Aku in an episode like Jack Learns To Jump Good (he appears for like 2 minutes, tops?) is more relevant to the new season than his whole backstory, since Season 5 Aku draws a contrast to Aku in seasons 1-4, not the Aku in the backstory.

Rater202
2017-03-29, 09:18 PM
IT's not so much the origin of Aku that's important so much as the origin of the Sword, since Jack lost it over the time skip... if he's either going to get it back or get a new one, he might have to prove he deserves it.

Giggling Ghast
2017-04-01, 09:26 PM
So if you were hoping for a new SJ episode tonight, there won't be one. It's pushed to next week for this Rick and Morty S3 premiere marathon they're running.

No, I am not playing an April Fool's Day joke. I wish I was. :smallfrown:

https://twitter.com/clarknova1/status/848354143714594816

Scowling Dragon
2017-04-02, 12:34 AM
Im really bummed. The cherry atop my Sunday has been replace with pure smug and bluegh.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-04-02, 01:34 AM
Hopefully the Wednesday night airing is still good.

-D-
2017-04-02, 03:16 AM
Im really bummed. The cherry atop my Sunday has been replace with pure smug and bluegh.

I like both of those things, but boy I never imagined I would be this disappointed in Rick and Morty episode.

HandofShadows
2017-04-02, 06:58 AM
A VERY bad AF joke. :smallmad: I am sure there are a lot of complaints hitting AS about it.

-D-
2017-04-02, 07:16 AM
A VERY bad AF joke. :smallmad: I am sure there are a lot of complaints hitting AS about it.
**** April fool's.

Lacuna Caster
2017-04-04, 07:49 AM
Jack and the Hunters (S2E09) showcase Jack facing a powerful group of opponents, which has parallels to some stuff in the new season.

Tale of X-9 (S4E11) is from the viewpoint of an evil minion sent to kill Jack. Not a typical episode, but a cool and well-liked one.
I'm fond of the spartans episode and the haunted house as well. SJ in general has a lot of individually cool elements that were never particularly concerned with mutual cohesion, so it's a bit of a grab-bag.

I like both of those things, but boy I never imagined I would be this disappointed in Rick and Morty episode.
You like Smug and Bluegh? :smallconfused:

I personally don't know quite how to feel about 'nine seasons of szechuan sauce'.

Scowling Dragon
2017-04-05, 04:16 PM
I personally don't know quite how to feel about 'nine seasons of szechuan sauce'.

Oh don't worry it was IRONIC. :smallwink: (Please Ignore that R&M uses only licensed products...What a coincidence)

Unless it wasn't! See, R&M is too clever to just, settle on a direction and go with it! Direction is for squares yo! :smallcool:

You gotta ride your crotch in the middle of the fence till you pants and premise are worn so thin nobody even remembers why they liked your show!

But seriously I hate on and off again character drama. Either Rick is a bastard or he isn't.

LaZodiac
2017-04-05, 11:32 PM
Either Rick is a bastard or he isn't.

I mean I know some really *******ish people who can be nice. Character's aren't static.

Scowling Dragon
2017-04-05, 11:49 PM
I mean I know some really *******ish people who can be nice. Character's aren't static.

But they don't act at all like they do in syndicated animated TV series. My point being either be a serious drama show, or don't. I enjoy bastards killing each other in Superjail, and I would list some good drama show if I ever saw a drama show I liked, but I hate the inbetween

"Today Il Sacrifice my lifes work to save you but the next episode Il dangle you off a Cliff" brand of faux drama and "Feels" that these shows aim for.

Rater202
2017-04-05, 11:55 PM
Guys, this isn't the thread for discussing Rick and Morty.

This is the Thread for discussing Jack and Ashi.

Since you know, it's obvious that she survived and is going to make a Heel/Face turn.

-D-
2017-04-06, 12:11 AM
Guys, this isn't the thread for discussing Rick and Morty.

Yeah, but this week only - it's the extended April Fools Bonanza.

"Today Il Sacrifice my lifes work to save you but the next episode Il dangle you off a Cliff" brand of faux drama and "Feels" that these shows aim for.
It seemed last season was giving Rick an arc, but this season is like - lol, nope, you were tricked, lied, fooled, bamboozled.

And due to series resetting to status quo, I am unsure Beth and Jerry divorce will stick.

Giggling Ghast
2017-04-06, 03:13 AM
Yes, let's turn the discussion back to Samurai Rick. I mean, Jack and Morty.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8272913/sj_ram.jpg

Foolish (burp) ... f-foolish samurai ...

Lacuna Caster
2017-04-06, 07:19 AM
As much as I love it when strains of meme cross-pollinate, I am disappointed that episode 4 did not air on Wednesday. It appears that April is a long month.

Since you know, it's obvious that she survived and is going to make a Heel/Face turn.
I'm guessing they will have... six babies. No? Yes? ...Am I close?

-D-
2017-04-06, 09:21 AM
I mean, Jack and Morty.
I'd buy that for a dollar.

Jack learning Morty the martial arts, and Morty growing a solid titanium spine.

Lurkmoar
2017-04-07, 06:20 PM
I'd buy that for a dollar.

Jack learning Morty the martial arts, and Morty growing a solid titanium spine.

Bitter and suicidal Jack is an angel next Rick. Geez. Jack and Morty, wonder if that would be like Lone Wolf and Cub but with more cynical humor?

-D-
2017-04-07, 06:29 PM
Bitter and suicidal Jack is an angel next Rick. Geez. Jack and Morty, wonder if that would be like Lone Wolf and Cub but with more cynical humor?
I imagine Morty would achieve sakai. I would pay to see Morty stare down anyone to submission.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-04-07, 08:28 PM
Just a heads up, the episode that was skipped last week will air tomorrow, but is tagged 'repeat'. So it may not record on your DVR.

A Tad Insane
2017-04-07, 11:51 PM
I imagine Morty would achieve sakai. I would pay to see Morty stare down anyone to submission.

As Morty's final test, to see if he has surpassed the master, he must survive the Scotsman's brutal insult barrage without a single quiver

-D-
2017-04-08, 01:43 AM
As Morty's final test, to see if he has surpassed the master, he must survive the Scotsman's brutal insult barrage without a single quiver
Y'er whilly pulling...

alexdavid
2017-04-08, 12:32 PM
i like the series

Giggling Ghast
2017-04-08, 08:51 PM
I have a shocking revelation to share based on some leaked images from the upcoming episode.

Jack survived the fall.

:smalltongue:

Draconi Redfir
2017-04-08, 11:36 PM
just to be clear, episode 4 hasn't aired / isn't availbile online yet right?

A Tad Insane
2017-04-09, 12:12 AM
just to be clear, episode 4 hasn't aired / isn't availbile online yet right?

It's aired, and it's great.

Phil LaMarr is a gem

Draconi Redfir
2017-04-09, 12:42 AM
I've only been able to watch the episodes on youtube. anyone know a more reliable source for episodes?

Giggling Ghast
2017-04-09, 04:56 AM
You could download the Adult Swim app. It takes a couple days for the episode to be uploaded, though, and it costs a small subscription fee. I watched tonight's episode on Dailymotion.

Lighter episode tonight, with less brutal action and more humour derived from the awkward tension between Jack and Ashi. And I guarantee someone got a boner from all that bondage action. :smalltongue:

There was a really weird bit at the beginning when Jack woke up. He had a spear, which he didn't have when he fell, but the spear immediately disappeared when the crows started mocking him. So it was either an error or he hallucinated the spear along with the crows and Ashi's bloody corpse.

I like how it finished out, anyway. I don't know what relationship Ashi will have with Jack, but she's obviously here to stay.

LaZodiac
2017-04-09, 08:50 AM
You could download the Adult Swim app. It takes a couple days for the episode to be uploaded, though, and it costs a small subscription fee. I watched tonight's episode on Dailymotion.

Lighter episode tonight, with less brutal action and more humour derived from the awkward tension between Jack and Ashi. And I guarantee someone got a boner from all that bondage action. :smalltongue:

There was a really weird bit at the beginning when Jack woke up. He had a spear, which he didn't have when he fell, but the spear immediately disappeared when the crows started mocking him. So it was either an error or he hallucinated the spear along with the crows and Ashi's bloody corpse.

I like how it finished out, anyway. I don't know what relationship Ashi will have with Jack, but she's obviously here to stay.

The spear was from one of the dead Daughters. The corpse he saw was not Ashi but one of the other dead Daughters. Ashi is the only Daughter of Aku still left alive.

This was a pretty fantastic episode. Good comedy as Jack...at least tries to negotiate, tries to make her see the error of his ways. He's still not keen on killing humans, but he will if he has to, but if he doesn't have to he'd rather not. He and Ashi have some interesting character interplay, too.

Devonix
2017-04-09, 09:47 AM
The spear was from one of the dead Daughters. The corpse he saw was not Ashi but one of the other dead Daughters. Ashi is the only Daughter of Aku still left alive.

This was a pretty fantastic episode. Good comedy as Jack...at least tries to negotiate, tries to make her see the error of his ways. He's still not keen on killing humans, but he will if he has to, but if he doesn't have to he'd rather not. He and Ashi have some interesting character interplay, too.

Wrong spear, The Daughter's spear was worked metal, this one was a stick with a sharpened rock tied to it. And the last one we saw used was nowhere near that cliff.

Morty
2017-04-09, 10:41 AM
The horseman didn't appear this time. I'm not sure if means anything. Jack does hallucinate and talk to himself, but doesn't see the horseman. Is it because that particular vision only appears when he's depressed, pained or otherwise in a bad enough mental state? It felt like dealing with a straightforward problem helped him.

Leecros
2017-04-09, 10:50 AM
Wrong spear, The Daughter's spear was worked metal, this one was a stick with a sharpened rock tied to it. And the last one we saw used was nowhere near that cliff.

Jack has pulled numerous weapons and equipment out(and put inside) of his Hammerspace Loincloth numerous times throughout the season. The most notable times being his spears and at the end of episode 2 when he killed the first Daughter, took her sword, stowed it in his loincloth and immediately pulled out the acoustic dagger. Then when he falls, he's holding the sword again and the dagger is nowhere to be seen.

It's kind of unfortunate. It's clear that there's been a lot of thought put into this season, but after that moment in episode 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVN4ZK7s5RA&feature=youtu.be&t=238). I can't help but notice when he pulls a weapon out of nowhere or stows one into nowhere.

Spacewolf
2017-04-09, 10:57 AM
Jack has pulled numerous weapons and equipment out(and put inside) of his Hammerspace Loincloth numerous times throughout the season. The most notable times being his spears and at the end of episode 2 when he killed the first Daughter, took her sword, stowed it in his loincloth and immediately pulled out the acoustic dagger. Then when he falls, he's holding the sword again and the dagger is nowhere to be seen.

It's kind of unfortunate. It's clear that there's been a lot of thought put into this season, but after that moment in episode 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVN4ZK7s5RA&feature=youtu.be&t=238). I can't help but notice when he pulls a weapon out of nowhere or stows one into nowhere.

The Sword and Acoustic dagger are the same thing it just separates into it's two pronged form, you can tell from the ribbon on the hilt.

LaZodiac
2017-04-09, 11:06 AM

They're in his inventory.

Leecros
2017-04-09, 11:44 AM
The Sword and Acoustic dagger are the same thing it just separates into it's two pronged form, you can tell from the ribbon on the hilt.

Fair enough. I forgot about that part.