PDA

View Full Version : Varient Idea: going at the same time

Superglucose
2007-07-21, 09:35 PM
So, I was looking through the various tie breakers for having the same initiative, and I thought, "Why not have them act at the same time?" Sometimes in a battle (especially ranged battles) two people might, say, fire a gun at the same time, and kill each other.

Here is my variant for acting at the same time:

If two people roll the same initiative, and they have the same dexterity bonus, they act at the same time.

For the purposes of rolling, etc. they may role in any order, but all damage/effects are put off until after both turns are complete, at which point they resolve.

So for instance, the PC is fighting the NPC, PC dex=14 NPC dex=15, they both get 15 for initiative. The PC attacks the NPC, who also attacks the PC. They both kill each other. Under this rule, their damage occurs at the same time, so they kill each other.

It's a little hard to explain... any ideas?

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-21, 09:48 PM
Attacks of opportunity?

For more detail: two people have the same initiative, and their paths are going to intersect, like two legs of an X. Who, if anyone, gets an attack of opportunity?

Joltz
2007-07-21, 09:58 PM
I like the idea of having the effects of their actions not resolve till the end of both turns. You'd have to decide who gets to declare their actions first though. It would be waaaaay too confusing otherwise. I'm sure it'll be difficult enough just delaying the effects of people's actions till both turns have ended.

If you add time altering spells it gets even more confusing.

NullAshton
2007-07-21, 10:27 PM
You could figure out a system something like the Alternity system. Have them each act in four or so different phases, and all actions in a phase happen at the exact same time.