PDA

View Full Version : I'm just gonna leave this here

aarenrosson91
2017-02-06, 08:11 PM
Grandfather Desert-Nearly infinite desert that could easily fit entire solar systems inside; all manner of desert life can be found here....among other things. Be careful, many a man and beast have gotten lost and had Grandfather Desert strip the skin from their bones with his biting desert storms, called coriolis winds. If you hear the sound of an old man moaning (and none are present, obviously) look out! Shelter from the storm is your only sanctuary.
Beware too, for the storms are not your only foe...step lightly, lest you evoke the wrath of Shuturugu, the giant worms of the desert. Many miles long, and taller than any mountain, they are the guardians of the desert, and none have been known to survive a direct encounter. Traveling by night is the best method of travel, since there are 4 suns, all out at once. The temperature in the day can rise to 1000 degrees, and drops to as low as -200 at night, though that is only away from the hyperthermic vents that release superheated gasses from within the desert itself. Small oases can be found scattered about, small refuges granted by Grandfather Desert for those brave enough to find them. There is not only death here though, for every treasure buried in any desert in existence can be found here, regardless of where they were lost or buried. So too, are there bodies, old and new, every life taken by Grandfather Desert, men and beasts alike, all controlled by Him. Due to His connection to all deserts, many a trader brave or foolish enough to risk it can find their journey incredibly shortened, or lengthened indefinitely. He does not hear, He speaks. Any clerics attempting to communicate with Grandfather Desert must not speak, but listen. If contact is made, He will give an insight or a premonition. The receiver must make a will save or go blind permanently. Successful saves indicate that He is favorable, and the receiver is granted the ability to see one week into the future or past with no limit to see any one event. 1/week. This sight becomes permanent after 100 uses and the cleric (or receiver) becomes permanently blind no matter what measures he has taken to prevent it, though it doesn't particularly matter since he can see his visions in such clarity he can easily navigate without eyes.
Coriolis winds - these terrible super storms are caused by the super heating of frozen atmosphere as the suns rise. They strip anything inside save the Shuturugu to bone, and the bone soon to dust. Characters may survive in direct contact within the storm for 1d10 rounds before death, taking 25d6 slashing, 20d6 fire and 20d8 bludgeoning per round. Only shelter can stop the damage. Flight impossible.
Shuturugu-these magnificent, fearsome creatures roam wild throughout the Sandsea, taller than any mountain and many miles long. Their skin is like thick armor, granting them immunity to most forms of damage, including the always looming threat of the planetary storms. None have seen one die in battle, though it does not fight in the traditional way; if it senses something not of the desert, it comes from miles away to simply eat it. Creatures swallowed may survive, though none have ever escaped to tell of it.
HP 999999999999/999999999999
AC 35
DR all/-
Creatures swallowed take 365d12 bludgeoning and are trapped unless they can teleport out.
Daytime-those foolish enough to travel in the day not only have storms and shuturugu to contend with, but the ungodly heat and loose footing. Travels at 1/4 speed, automatically fatigued, and takes 1 con damage per round, plus 100d6 fire.
Night- the desert is cold at night, and this one is no exception. Creatures caught outside and away from the heat vents find themselves frozen solid within 1d10 rounds, taking 20d6 cold damage plus 1 con every round. No saves allowed.
Creatures-any desert, cavernous, or temperate type
Movement is at 1/4 for land travel.
All arcane magic is minimized.
Timeless.
Normal gravity.
Ice magic is unusable during the day.
Fire magic is unusable during the night.
Terrain-
1-40 Sand-movement is at 1/4 for land travel. 12% chance of sinkhole.
41-60 Drumsand-. No move silently. 1d4 Shuturugu are instantly notified.
61-70 Rock- normal movement, Shuturugu barred.
71-100 Liquid sand-very fine dust that fills canyons miles deep. Can suck a man under instantly. Chance of sinkhole 61%
Sinkhole- there is no telling how many of these strange holes there are here, nor how deep they go.

aimlessPolymath
2017-02-06, 09:18 PM
I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at here. It looks like either a campaign setting or a plane/demiplane. I think it's a plane/demiplane.

Any clerics attempting to communicate with Grandfather Desert must not speak, but listen. If contact is made, He will give an insight or a premonition. The receiver must make a will save or go blind permanently. Successful saves indicate that He is favorable, and the receiver is granted the ability to see one week into the future or past with no limit to see any one event. 1/week. This sight becomes permanent after 100 uses and the cleric (or receiver) becomes permanently blind no matter what measures he has taken to prevent it, though it doesn't particularly matter since he can see his visions in such clarity he can easily navigate without eyes.
What saves? It's permanent after 100 uses (about 2 years), but before then, it's... temporary?

Characters may survive in direct contact within the storm for 1d10 rounds before death, taking 25d6 slashing, 20d6 fire and 20d8 bludgeoning per round. Only shelter can stop the damage. Flight impossible.
If I'm reading this right, players take more than 65d6 damage each round for 1d10 rounds, and then they die? I'm not sure I've seen a character which could survive one.

HP 999999999999/999999999999
AC 35
DR all/-
Creatures swallowed take 365d12 bludgeoning and are trapped unless they can teleport out.
This is the creature. This is it's ability scores. No roll to get swallowed. No saving throws. If you want them to be creatures so big they bypass the normal combat rules, you can just say that. Looks like a straightforwards Dune expy. Important missing information: Speed.

Daytime-those foolish enough to travel in the day not only have storms and shuturugu to contend with, but the ungodly heat and loose footing. Travels at 1/4 speed, automatically fatigued, and takes 1 con damage per round, plus 100d6 fire.
Night- the desert is cold at night, and this one is no exception. Creatures caught outside and away from the heat vents find themselves frozen solid within 1d10 rounds, taking 20d6 cold damage plus 1 con every round. No saves allowed.
What I'm reading is that unless you have immunity to fire, you instantly die during the day. Unless you have immunity to cold, you die after 1d10 rounds during the night (outside heat vents). Unless you also have immunity to ability score damage, you die in either case, it just takes longer. Also, fun fact: the shutuguru(?) take an average of 350 damage each round, meaning they die after an average of (getting a calculator) 5400 years or so- 10800 years if you count the fact that they take far less during the night (I'm not calculating how much).
This is an insane amount of damage. Normal temperature rules cap out at 1d6 per minute below -40 or over 140. I'm pretty sure there isn't a desert because it's all molten glass.

41-60 Drumsand-. No move silently. 1d4 Shuturugu are instantly notified.
Yep, Dune expy.

Small oases can be found scattered about, small refuges granted by Grandfather Desert for those brave enough to find them.
Oases don't matter because they are ice during the night and steam during the day.

Timeless.
What does this mean? The SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm)says its effects vary by plane.

Creatures-any desert, cavernous, or temperate type
THEY'RE ALL DEAD

All arcane magic is minimized.
Why?

Potato_Priest
2017-02-06, 09:45 PM
This is the creature. This is it's ability scores. No roll to get swallowed. No saving throws. If you want them to be creatures so big they bypass the normal combat rules, you can just say that. Looks like a straightforwards Dune expy. Important missing information: Speed.

If you're the kind of DM who gets hung up over Fighters/Barbarians and physics, kindly list that monster's speed as "hell no."

aarenrosson91
2017-02-06, 11:35 PM
You get it lol. It was my answer to broken OP characters.

aarenrosson91
2017-02-06, 11:40 PM
The save ( sorry i didn't include it) is a will save determined by the dm himself (of course) but all fire and cold resistances and immunities are stripped upon entering, and yes it is a plane, but the idea was that any character could follow the rules and possibly survive, but any character being foolish, no matter how broken, could die. Too much, you think?

aarenrosson91
2017-02-06, 11:45 PM
think it's a plane/demiplane.

What saves? It's permanent after 100 uses (about 2 years), but before then, it's... temporary?

If I'm reading this right, players take more than 65d6 damage each round for 1d10 rounds, and then they die? I'm not sure I've seen a character which could survive one.

This is the creature. This is it's ability scores. No roll to get swallowed. No saving throws. If you want them to be creatures so big they bypass the normal combat rules, you can just say that. Looks like a straightforwards [I]Dune[ expy. Important missing information: Speed.

What I'm reading is that unless you have immunity to fire, you instantly die during the day. Unless you have immunity to cold, you die after 1d10 rounds during the night (outside heat vents). Unless you also have immunity to ability score damage, you die in either case, it just takes longer. Also, fun fact: the shutuguru(?) take an average of 350 damage each round, meaning they die after an average of (getting a calculator) 5400 years or so- 10800 years if you count the fact that they take far less during the night (I'm not calculating how much).
This is an insane amount of damage. Normal temperature rules cap out at 1d6 per minute below -40 or over 140. I'm pretty sure there isn't a desert because it's all molten glass.

Yep, Dune expy.

Oases don't matter because they are ice during the night and steam during the day.

What doe

Kudos on getting the dune reference lol, and the oases are considered temperate environments, easily survivable, but you have to leave eventually. Sorry, I guess I didn't really explain all that lol. And the worms speeds are 5000 ft/round land, 25000 ft/round burrowing. Big, fast, durable.

aarenrosson91
2017-02-06, 11:56 PM
But again, this is mainly for characters or dms who believe their group is op, but I am open to any ideas lol

Sicarius Victis
2017-02-07, 01:24 AM
Grandfather Desert Vs. Pun-Pun - Who wins?

Answer: Everybody who no longer has to deal with Pun-Pun!

nikkoli
2017-02-07, 10:48 AM
Is this for your current group? If so what even is that group to warrant this?
Also those worms move at about 568 MPH (about 2/3 x the speed of sound) on the surface and about 2841 MPH (just shy of 4x the speed of sound) burrowing.

Morphic tide
2017-02-07, 11:45 AM
Is this for your current group? If so what even is that group to warrant this?
Also those worms move at about 568 MPH (about 2/3 x the speed of sound) on the surface and about 2841 MPH (just shy of 4x the speed of sound) burrowing.

Probably a group that sees Pun Pun as something to catch up to. I can't think of anything else justifying this. Like, the most disgustingly OP builds for survival in the game below level 30 can't really take this, given the resistance and immunity bypasses.

aarenrosson91
2017-02-07, 02:02 PM
You're all absolutely right! I designed this plane as an option for breaking op characters, anything can come here to die, BUT even a level one who is properly prepared and follows the "rules" can make it out alive. Just kind of a "Ooh you think you're OP, huh?" Kind of thing lol. And yes, dear Gods are my groups characters broken.But even deities are vulnerable here.ANYTHING CAN DIE HERE. But that's just a rough draft, I need more ideas lol, so give em to me, don't hold anything back lol!

aimlessPolymath
2017-02-07, 02:55 PM
Well, it does kill anyone, but it pretty much does so out of GM fiat. "Oh, I rolled a 52 for terrain, so 1d4 shuturu show up and kill all of you. No, there's no save. Oh, you're a Barbarian 20 with 30 Con? No, the minimum damage is more than your hit points. You checked, and there's nothing around for a mile? That's because they arrived from four miles away, just to kill you."
"You guys want to leave during the day, under endure elements, fire immunity, and in the shade? It's too bad that the temperature is outside endure elements' allowed range, that your fire immunity is removed because I say so, and that the sand is heated to a degree of 1000 degrees- I guess you're dead. Oh, you're naturally immune to fire? That's OK, you die anyway thanks to the ongoing irresistable Constitution damage."
This place is just needlessly lethal. You didn't mention that immunity was stripped away in the original post anyway, which makes it look like you just fiated it in, just now.

It's even more egregious because spellcasters can just teleport around to ignore everything related to travel.

What is your party that this is necessary? I actually can't imagine a character that needs this to kill him. Does your group apply Tippyverse-tier TO on a regular basis or something?

As a player, this looks like "Rocks fall, everyone dies" in planar form. As a DM, this looks like a way to make my players die in the most unfun way possible.

aarenrosson91
2017-02-07, 03:19 PM
Obviously the damage is too intense, but that's easily changeable: the damage was set up specifically for my group who all have thousands of hit points (of 50+, divine rank 1+) but I thought it could be a good proving grounds, where you survive based on wit and endurance, not one shotting everything lol, but no, there is no save for being eaten, simply because they are so big you'd have to teleport away or be VERY fast, but you can teleport OUT easily. I didn't add the immunity stripping after (if that helps), it was only so characters couldn't show up and say, "Ooh no, not me, I'm perfectly fine walking around for a week in this super desert without food, water, or fear." It does seem like too much, but before this,ONE of my players went 10× the speed of light and LIQUEFIED Bane. I wanted to show them that I could make a place that anyone could go and be subject to danger. OBVIOUSLY DON'T USE THESE DAMAGE STATS unless your characters can take at least one shot, but the idea remains the same. How would you deal with supremely broken characters without simply taking away the character sheets? That's what I'm looking for; a way to either reset the universe so that the power gap is smaller, or kill them off in story ( but without it seeming like that). I'm really enjoying the feedback!

aimlessPolymath
2017-02-07, 04:07 PM
I'm not sure that that's exactly an appropriate response. If your players are of such high power (and I have no idea how they got there, given that standard 3.5 rules a) don't let you level up more than once for a single encounter, and b) don't provide xp for encounters 8 or more CR levels below them)
At Divine Rank 1+, food and water should NOT be a crucial part of survival! You're a god, you don't need to eat mortal food! Normal concerns are not a factor at that level when you can sit in lava for minutes on end and not be harmed. The basic nature of hit points breaks down at some point, and you've clearly surpassed it. It looks like you're trying to recapture the feeling of low level play, when your players have definitely moved on from it. High level play is definitely qualitatively different from low level play- many spells completely eliminate low-level factors such as travel time (teleporting), food (create food and water), hit point healing (heal), many afflictions (remove disease, neutralize poison, remove curse, break enchantment), and even the threat of long-term death (the various resurrections) and the action economy (time stop, celerity, contingent spells). Trying to bring them back just doesn't work, and just looks awkward and forced (see: this thread).

If your players liquified Bane (and I'm not sure who that is, but can guess from context that he is a god or something), then it's clear that they are far more powerful than the threats they're dealing with. Two ways to go with this are giving them more powerful enemies (i.e. write your own up), or shifting the focus of the game away from combat.

I'm not actually sure how they killed Bane in one hit, but it sounds like you need to build your own creatures to give them a challenge- note that many gods as written in Deities in Demigods fluctuate from incredibly underpowered to "you die, no save". If you go this route, then you may wish to look at the Immortals Handbook:Ascension- a sourcebook for going beyond normal divine ranks. It does devolve into "bigger numbers = better" at some points rather than working with high-level qualities (see again: this thread) , and might turn the game even more rocket-tag-y, making it more about finding the achilles heel of your foe rather than beating him down (see: abilities like "whenever I take damage, the source takes an equal amount" and "Attack rolls against you always fail"). Once you've reached this point, you could consider ending the campaign, letting the players ascend to full godhood, and run the next game, where your players displaced the pantheon and are the new deities of the setting.

The same guy also did a Bestiary, for what it's worth.

Alternatively, consider that they may have reached the point where they can no longer lose fights, and move the campaign away from them- divine politics. Gods may be axiomatically barred from certain forms of interference with mortals, so the players have to begin working through intermediaries, for example.

Overall, you should move away from bigger numbers attacking the players, and more towards things which can't be beaten with numbers.

Ammutseba
2017-02-07, 04:18 PM
This might be a good time to mention the sourcebook Elder Evils, if we're talking about 3.5e. It presents two different things it sounds like your players could appreciate. First is large numbers, but second and more importantly, is intrigue. Things that like aimlessPolymath mentioned, can't be defeated simply by hitting them harder. These guys are so nasty they shut down whole class features simply by existing.

Try looking at some other homebrew, too. The xenotheurge (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?122103-Xenotheurgy-Far-Realms-magic-system) is a highly flavorful class with some very nonstandard effects. Even at low levels, it will knock your players for a loop.

If they solve their problems by dealing X^Y damage, throw a few jovoc grenades at them.

If you would rather hit them with simply bigger and bigger numbers, though, go back to Elder Evils and imagine what battling Leviathan would be like (not the aspect, but the elder evil). Or the World Born dead itself. Or a completed Pandorym!

aarenrosson91
2017-02-07, 04:31 PM
Actually, those are very good ideas, I've been had at every turn from these characters, and it makes sense that at their power, they should be universally barred from dealing with anything "mortal". That's a good reset point, with possibly the new characters working under or against the old. Thank guys! I've got a lot to write up!