PDA

View Full Version : Hogwarts, Shadows Within

Mura-neechan
2017-02-06, 08:34 PM
The grandeur of the opening feast had left the minds of students as classes began, and the weight of another year at the school pressed on. While 3rd years would be finally finding a bit more interesting study with magic, and the increased freedoom of their growing veterancy, the 4th years would find their schedules packed with much larger supplies of homework all preparing them for the eventual O.W.L.s in almost 2 years time. The workload and mundane nature of the studying left the students without the glamorous air tey always found upon returning to the school, and it was only when the signage placed in the common area of each of the Houses was updated that a new thrill of excitement once again would dawn on the students, leading to open discussion in the Great Hall as they'd come together for breakfast that Saturday, October 14th

Quiditch Team Recruiting
Any that can handle a broom are up for Quidditch tryouts. Ravenclaw and Slytherin have every odd weekend, Hufflepuff and Gryffindor have every even weekend for practice. Main tryouts are this month, bring your best!

- Professor Geller, Magical Sports Overseer

Triwizard Tournament Returns!
After the humilating defeat at the hands of Durmstrang last year, the event once again lands in Hogwarts domain andd home field. Only 4th years and older may apply, but remember this contest is both dangerous and difficult, students who are underage must acquire a parental waver to place with their application. Selection begins in November. Let us return the Cup to Hogwarts!

- Headmistress Edelweard

Hogsmeade Awaits
Once again Hogsmeade weekends are open, those whoo have not already applied merely need a parental waver.

- Mr. Nash, Caretaker

Dueling Club Exibition
This year, the Dueling Club is going to hold a showy elimination tournament of its members. Come, watch and maybe even join us on stage on October 15th!

- Serena Tompkons, Dueling Club Leader

Thundercracker
2017-02-08, 10:04 AM
James Miller

James washed down the last of his breakfast with a glass of orange juice. Quidditch wasn't his thing at all. He'd been brought up on football, and just couldn't get into the wizardiing game. The triwizard tournament, and the dueling club, he'd want to inquire about both.

Dueling club was earlier, so he set off to find out whether it was open enrollment to join, from Serena.

dmarks
2017-02-09, 02:02 PM
Alicia Gamp

Alicia always tried to get up early on a Saturday to make the most of her free day, even if she could never manage it on a Sunday. Today was no exception and she'd left her dorm-mates whilst they were dressing. Seeing that others were clustered around the notices she joined them and cast her eye down the new signs.

The usual notice about Quidditch didn't mean a lot to her: she'd never been a great player, certainly not good enough for the House team, but she was still looking forward to the season. Hogsmeade notices were pretty run-of-the-mill and she'd had permission from the previous year. Duelling club was more interesting. Alicia knew plenty about Defence, only she had never been that skilled at duelling for real. Maybe this year it would be sensible to try and change that, she thought darkly. She'd mention it to Augustus or Agatha and see if they'd go with her: it would be no fun if she spent the evening being cursed by the Slytherins.

The thing that really caught her attention though was the announcement of another Triwizard tournament, and here at Hogwarts. They were always amazing competitions and the demonstrations and spectacles that were put on were meant to be breathtaking.

Already excited about the day, Alicia headed down to breakfast with a copy of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them tucked under one arm: she wanted to get some reading done for her essay on the best ways to acquire and use Glumbumble treacle.

She sat down on her own at the Ravenclaw table, waiting for the others to get ready and join her.

Rogan
2017-02-09, 02:22 PM
John Gilbert

Some time after Alicia sat down in the great hall, John came and joined her.
"Good morning Alicia... Did you see the announcements? The Triwizard tournament will be here, in Hogwarts! And we are old enough to take part! What do you think, will you ask your parents for permission? I think, you could do it! Or should I give it a try? I'm not sure if I am good enough in Transfiguration, you were allways better at this.. But I should know enough about charms and mum made sure I can cast protego, it should be useful..."
He was clearly exited about the tournament and the possibility of joining it

Konatsat
2017-02-09, 05:36 PM
Agatha Graves

Agatha was still a bit tired as she woke up this Saturday morning and sluggishly got ready for the day. By the time she was finished, Alicia had already left for breakfast, presumably to get an early start on the day. She yawned as she walked down the stairs and noticed that many students were crowded around the notice board so she opted to take a look for herself and see what the commotion was about. The notices detailed various extracurricular activities to engage in such as the Quidditch team (Agatha had never been too good on the broomstick), the Triwizard Tournament, the trip to Hogsmeade, and the Dueling Club. As she left to eat, she made a mental note that now, many people from her grade would be applying for the Triwizard Tournament. Dueling Club was an interesting prospect to consider for a while, but she decided against joining unless her friends would join too as she was none too thrilled about the public aspect of it.

When she reached the table she saw that Alicia and John had already sat at the table and - as she approached - heard John rambling about the Triwizard Tournament. "Good morning Alicia, John, are the both of you planning to attempt to join the Triwizard Tournament?"

Thematthew
2017-02-09, 09:34 PM
Miore Marr

Waking up early, Moire comes down to the common room to see what everybody is crowded around.
Quiddich is going to be exciting, but Moire is by no means good enough to be on the house team. Triwizard tournament, too bad she isn't old enough but maybe she could help out the Hogwarts champion. Hogsmead, she's already got her permission slip signed. Dueling club, could be interesting should probably check that out.

After checking over the posting, she comes down to the dining hall to see Alicia, John, and Agatha together. "I think you guys should definitely try out for the tournament, I'll help out with whatever you need. I just want a chance to be a part of it."

TankLaser007
2017-02-11, 05:38 AM
Augustus Hawthorne
Saturday 14 October, 1978 - Hogwarts

Augustus woke a little after dawn. It had been the same dream. The same dream he had had over and over since he was six or seven. He was a raven, black of wing and swift of feather. Tumbling and twirling through a sea of blue and white. He could see below him the lake, the grounds of Hogwarts – only then, when he was younger, he never knew it was Hogwarts, that is until his first year, everything had been so familiar, especially after he had seen it from above, he rubbed his back and shoulders remembering his disastrous first days on a broomstick. He never much fancied them, less so now.

Why totter around on an enchanted bit of varnished wood when you could soar on wings – free-wheeling and unfettered. That part too had turned out to be true. The raven part, that is. Only last year they had learned how, it was their secret. They hadn’t yet told anyone, nor registered. Only the four of them knew.

Yet the dream hadn’t been fully realized. Augustus looked at his robes hanging on his bedpost, the gold and scarlet of Gryffindor. Those robes were meant to be bronze and blue. Like his father’s. Like his mother’s. Augustus pulled the blankets and sheets, to the side and stretched. His eyes lingered on his robes for a moment longer is he rubbed away the last remnants of sleep.

His mind ran back to the now familiar dream, there he was a raven soaring high above the grounds wind in his plumage, his wingtips cutting the clouds and growing large before him Ravenclaw tower. He glided in towards one of the windows, tapped upon the pane three swift taps followed by two short and another three swift and the window opened, he hopped inside. It was always the same dream since he was a boy. Only he never entered house Ravenclaw.

He pulled off his dressing gown and slid into a pair of slacks, he opened his dresser and took one of his father’s old dress shirts out, buttoning up before pulling over a black jumper. Taking his loafers from under the bead he thought back to his very first day, his sorting.

There he was sitting on the stool, those four minutes seemed to last an eternity. He sat there baffled and confused, how could that not know. All Hawthornes were Ravenclaws. It was a give in, sure there were a few Slytherins here and there maybe a Hufflepuff or two but those were mostly those who married in, not ‘true’ Hawthornes. He was a ‘real’ Hawthorne both his parents were Hawthornes, and Ravenclaws. Yet there he was as seconds melted into minutes.

And then before he knew it the hat had cried out “Gryffindor!” and that was that. He walked in a daze to his house table, there was Isidora smiling and clapping with the rest. And that was it. He was a Gyrffindor. One of the first in five generations of Hawthornes. So it seemed as if that dream. The one he was still having almost ten years later was wrong. He never was Ravenclaw.

Fully dressed Augustus grabbed his jacket, tucking his wand in its inside pocket, he went into the common room. It was early most everyone was still sleeping, no classes today. He went over to the notice board where some new notices had been placed.

He smiled to himself, when he saw Serena Tompkons’ name on the Dueling Club’s notice. Serena had gotten the position. He wondered if Isidora had seen it yet. She had had her heart set on being captain. Triwizard Tourney was being held here this year. Now that was something. Augustus took a last look around the common room before heading down to the great hall.

He hadn’t had much chance to catch up with everyone it would be nice to see how Agatha, Alicia and Moire were doing he wondered if they had also been practising over the break. He could now fly upside down, and the change didn’t require as much effort as it had last year, it would be nice too to see James again, he wanted to ask him about these 8-Tracks he had discovered over the break, and some of the latest Mugle Music he had heard on radio. He still had this one song stuck in his head until now. Is it love, is it love,i s it love, is it love that I’m feelin’...

He entered the hall and caught sight of the Ravenclaw table there they were. Augustus waved to them as he entered. Another year was about to begin.

dmarks
2017-02-11, 06:45 AM
Alicia Gamp

Alicia smiled as the others joined her. "I know! I heard the Hogwarts champion last time was telling everyone how impressive all the tasks were. Even if we don't get in you just know this year's gonna be good." Then she considered the question on everyone's lips: "Maybe. But there must be better wizards and witches than us in the older years. Why would we be picked to be the champion?"

There was an almost imperceptible pause as she made eye contact with Moire and Agatha: they knew what talent Alicia had that would separate her from the older witches, but it was still their secret and illegal to boot. The way things were going Alicia thought it would probably be good to have an ace up her sleeve.

Moving on swiftly, Alicia asked "Speaking of which, does anyone know how the champions are chosen? I might have a go. And thanks Moire: maybe if we all worked together we could do it!"

Konatsat
2017-02-11, 09:40 AM
Agatha Graves

When Alicia mentions the previous champion's stories of the tasks, she focused on how impressive they all were. Agatha, however, remembered the dangers inherent in those tasks along with the possibility for grievous injury to anyone attending the event, the champions being the ones in the most danger.

When Alicia paused and met her eyes, Agatha felt a tinge of guilt. After all, their excursion into the restricted section of the library was a tad illegal. After these thoughts flash through her head, she refocuses on the conversation managing to catch Alicia's question and suggestion that they all work together, no matter who gets chosen as the champion. "If I remember correctly, the champion for each school is decided by an impartial judge. I'm undecided on whether to abstain from joining or not as there have been quite a few Triwizard Tournament horror stories, though I will assist Hogwarts' Champion, especially if one of you becomes the chosen one."

Rogan
2017-02-12, 05:17 PM
John Gilbert

John greets Agatha and Miore as they join them and waves in Augustus direction for a second before turning to the girls again. "Yes, the older students have more experience, but we are still among the top students of your age. And they allow us to try, so we propably will have a chance. And of course, I will help the champion or take your help they select you. I am sure, as long as we have some time we could learn any spell we could need together"

He pauses a moment to remember the things he heard about previous tournament before confirming Agathas answer.
"They have an enchanted item like the sorting hat to act as judge. And Agatha is right, the champion will have to face some possible mortal dangers. They had a Basilisk once... But I doubt they would try something like that again. And I doubt Professor Edelweard would allow them to bring anything realy dangerous to Hogwarts"

dmarks
2017-02-13, 01:46 PM
Alicia Gamp

Alicia had never been a big fan of blowing her own horn, she wasn't a Slytherin after all, but she couldn't deny what John had said: they were all at the top of their year. Only a couple of other students were close, and some of the spells they'd learned were beyond most 5th years.

"John, I wouldn't rule out some ridiculous creature," Alicia joked back, thinking of some of their bizarre adventures over the last few years. "You've convinced me: I probably will put my name in, but I'll stand behind whoever it chooses for Hogwarts. Hopefully it'll be one of us though!"

"Anyway, I've already eaten, so catch you later? Maybe we could go over the Transfiguration work? I've written the essay but I've not actually practised the spell much. Should I see you guys back in the common room in a bit?"

Alicia gets up and waves back at Augustus who had just entered. She didn't mind perching on the Gryffindor table, even if it was sort of against the rules.

"I take it you've seen the news?" she asked as she joined Augustus. "The others have already talked me into signing up. For the tournament obviously, not quidditch. Though I was thinking of trying out duelling club this year: as long as you don't mind getting trounced by your friend and your sister?"

TankLaser007
2017-02-13, 01:50 PM
Augustus Hawthorne

Catching John's eye, Augustus raises his hand and nods his head in affirmation. Augustus smiles when Alicia comes over, and pours her a cup of tea. "So you fancy trying your hand at the Tri-Wizard tourney? You're much braver than myself, maybe you should wear the red and I can go back to wearing my father's scarf." he says as he puts some jam on a piece of toast. "You're going to go out for the Dueling club as well. When will we find time for our other studies if your going to be busy with both the tourney and the dueling club?" Augustus rubs his neck, "and don't remind me about Isidora's 'lessons', I am sure she just loves taking the mic outta me." He pops the last bit of toast in his mouth as he cuts into a sausage, "seriously though Alicia, be careful, you know the Tri-Wizard tournament is dangerous."

Rogan
2017-02-13, 03:19 PM
John Gilbert

John smiles as Alica agrees to apply to the position of Hogwarts champion. "Thats the spirit"

When she mentions the transfiguration homework he slightly nodds "Yeah, I will join you in the common room later" but he's not nearly as enthusiastic about it as he was about the tournament. He fills his plate with some scrambled eggs and turns to Agatha next "So, what was the worst thing you heard about the tournament? Oh, and could you pass me the bacon please?"

dmarks
2017-02-13, 06:33 PM
Alicia Gamp

Alicia took the tea with a smile, Augustus knew her too well. "Come on, I'm not saying I'll be the Champion, just that I want to try. After all last year we did prove what we can do if we set our minds to it. I guess it's up to the judge to work out whether we'd be safe doing it." She ignored his comment about his father's scarf: Alicia knew Augustus well enough to know he wasn't entirely jovial about the issue.

"Anyway, we've hardly spent the last 3 years working studiously, what with one thing or another," becoming unlicensed animagi, hunting wandwood in the forbidden forest, discovering a hive of blast ended skrewts in their professor's trunk... "So we're probably alright to take on a couple of things. And duelling might come in handy, with how things are." The smile dimmed on Alicia's face as she said this. She probably wouldn't have dwelled on it if it hadn't been her best friend sitting across the table.

Konatsat
2017-02-13, 08:30 PM
Agatha Graves

The food and food delivery system at Hogwarts had both never ceased to amaze Agatha and she was reminded of the wonders of the system when she picked up a sizzling plate of bacon and passed it to John. "Most Triwizard horror stories seem to be mere rumors, after all, people would rather not sully the name of the hallowed tournament." she began. "What I have heard, though, is that they bring in all manner of dangerous creatures sometimes and use all manners of magic to top the previous tournament. Rumors have it that once, they evacuated a school and turned it into a large maze filled with enchanted objects that would do their best to disable any champion that passed, and the champions only found out when they woke up. By the time it was over, two of the champions had broken bones and one of them was found in a trance-like state which took a month to fix." she shuddered as she imagined what it must have been like to find yourself trapped in a place like that, to be paranoid that you would be attacked at any moment.

Thematthew
2017-02-14, 08:16 PM
Miore Marr

Looking up from a plate covered in eggs and bacon, Moire adds between mouthfuls, "the dueling club does look like it could be fun, I am worried the teachers might get too involved though. I'm really excited about the challenges for the championship though, imagine the creatures we could see! They probably won't have anything too dangerous though, imagine being able to stare down an actual acromantula or a dementor, or having to make a deal with centaurs."

Rogan
2017-02-15, 05:27 PM
John Gilbert

"Thanks" John adds some bacon to the eggs on his plate and pours himself a glas of Pumpkin juice while listening to Agathas story. "Using the castle as location of a test does not seem very fair to me. Think of all those secret passages or trick steps Hogwarts students would know about, while the guests have no idea" he replies before starting to eat. Between two bites he looks to Moire and grins slightly "A dementor would not be too dangerous, as long as the teachers are nearby so they can interference should the champion pass out. But since I don't think therer is any way to fight them save a patronus... I doubt they would use one. An acromantula on the other hand... If they can find one, the might use it"

TankLaser007
2017-02-17, 01:52 AM
Augustus Hawthorne

Augustus listened to Alicia as he finished his tea, he flipped the cup upside down on his saucer and took a bite of beans and toast, as he poured himself a glass of milk.

"I know. You're one of the keenest witches here." He took another bite of sausage, "Then again, that's only because I'm a wizard. but we'll have to wait till next year's OWL results to know who's really best." he smiled at Alicia as he craned his neck to see if she'd finished her tea, "drink up and I'll read your cup." he said flipping his cup back upright, and looking at the pattern left by the dregs.

[roll0] vs. DC 15
[roll1] vs. DC 15

Mura-neechan
2017-02-19, 11:25 AM
James

Serena spent most of her free time practicing and researching new dueling techniques, and as such James had to track down the dueling club room. It wasn't very difficult, but it was a bit of a trek from the Great Hall. Once he reached the club room,. he'd find a trio of witches a bit older than him inside, along with the 6th year Serena Tompkins, munching oon a delivered plate of varried foods, as she was focsed on some scawlings n the small desk, which was mostly covered with books of various styles. One of the witches, a shorter girl with bushy red hair and glasses stared at James curiously, as she'd approach. "Need somethin?"

Everyone Else

Alicia's sourness would almost seem to attract the small group of students from the Slytherin table, three witches around Alicia's age, a younger wizard, and a somewhat tall and handsome looking wizard as he towered over the group. He wouldn't say antrthing, but his pep squad was hardly so considerate. One girl quickly moving to thrust her hands onto the table with a grin. "You guys can't be serious about entering the tournament, right? Everyone already knows that Kalus will the Champion. Nobody understands counter-curses better. If it wasn't for a mishap he would have been the Champion 2 years ago!"

Thundercracker
2017-02-20, 12:31 AM
James Miller

"I-" James started, his voice cracked, and he cleared his throat and started again.

"I want to join the dueling club," he said.

dmarks
2017-02-23, 03:29 PM
Alicia

The young Ravenclaw frowned as the Slytherins approached: she'd heard of Kalus obviously, and looked into him a couple of times in the last two years (somehow, he'd always ended up on the list of suspects), but despite her suspicions, she'd never actually found him doing anything, and certainly not anything like the rumours suggested. Then again, he did hang out with these sorts of people, so no wonder the rumours started.

"Since the selection process is secret, you can hardly know it was only a mistake that cost Kalus his chance," Alicia retorted archly. "I guess we'll just have to wait and see who is selected! Come on Augustus."

Alicia tried to get her friend to join her and push past the Slytherins towards the Great Hall entrance. She knew full well that Kalus was as capable as the girl had suggested, but she hated bullies, and was not about to let one of them pick on her, especially for an idle comment she had made to her friend over breakfast.

TankLaser007
2017-02-23, 03:59 PM
Augustus Hawthorne

Well then, that was one way to finish a breakfast. Augustus lay his cup back on the saucer and stood up as Alicia did, you smiled at the group as his friend spoke and followed her through, "Guess well have to see how things shore up this year, eh?" Augustus and Alicia made there way towards the door of the hall ignoring the Syltherins, "Kalus may be an adept wizard but I am more concerned for the competitors of the other schools. Durmstrag has a very, shall we say, 'unique' reputation, their students are no strangers to conflict and then there is Beauxbatons, which is like the Hogwarts of the continent. This really will be no easy feat."

Rogan
2017-02-23, 04:36 PM
John Gilbert

Seeing the Syltherins moving to Alicia and Augustus, John pauses his breakfast for a moment. But they surely would not be stupid enough to pick a fight while most of the teachers were close enough to see it. Still, he would keep an eye on them, so he could back his friends up if the group would follow them.

"I don't like those Slitherins..." he mutters to nobody particular. "Sure, there are some decent fellows, but lots of them are not"

dmarks
2017-02-26, 05:29 AM
Alicia

"You're right: if we're going to stand a chance we'll need to study extra magic again. Maybe it really is about time that I joined the duelling club. You'll help me won't you?" Obviously Alicia still didn't know whether she would be picked, but having had this stupid confrontation with the Slytherins, she would damn sure do herself and her house proud if she was the champion.

Knowing she still had that essay on Glumbumble treacle to write for her Care of Magical Creatures professor, she headed to the library, asking if Augustus wanted to join her. "We could also find out more about the tournament?" she added, hoping to spark his curiosity.

TankLaser007
2017-02-26, 06:48 AM
Augustus Hawthorne

Augustus followed Alicia out of the large doors and down the hall on the way to the Library. "You know I can never pass up a trip to the library. Besides," he says tapping his jacket's breast where his wand was secured inside, "I still have a bit more research on wandlore I'd like to dig into. Still having issues wrapping my head around some of the principles of harmonizing the wood and core and variables in flexibility and length. There are also some interesting theories on wilting I want to look into." Augustus twists his body as one of the castle's ghosts whizzes by, "If you're dead set on the duelling club maybe we can see if Isiadora can put in a good word for you."

Thematthew
2017-02-28, 03:11 PM
Moire Marr

Moire gets up from the table to follow after Augustus and Alicia, "Those Slytherins are just the kind who can't accept that talent exists outside of their house. Though a trip to the library is probably for the best, and the dueling club may be able to give a few pointers on the basics at least."

Konatsat
2017-03-05, 10:15 AM
Agatha Graves

Seeing that most of her friends had already started leaving, Agatha finished her food and made her way to the library. All the talk about the Triwizard Tournament made her want to read up on it. Perhaps she would be able to find a pattern to the challenges or learn of some obscure knowledge that would assist her in helping the champion.

Rogan
2017-03-05, 02:31 PM
John Gilbert

John hurried to finish his own breakfast and in order to accompany Agatha to the libary. He needed to double-check some facts for the transfiguration work Alicia proposed to complete later. And if he was lucky, some books about the tournament would still be availiable.