PDA

View Full Version : Name for a Class

8BitNinja
2017-02-06, 09:02 PM
My brother (you may know him here as Green Elf) decided to revise and completely fix my TRPG, Sidequest (The version I showed to you guys long ago is trash.) And in it, each class has two prestige classes with the exception of the monk, who can become a master in a new fighting style every 10 levels. Some of them are based on role playing (Such as the knight, who can either become a paladin if Lawful Good or a blackguard if Lawful Evil) while some are based on mechanics (Such as the ranger, who can become either a Hunter, which is more of a sniper or a Shaman, where his access to prayers (divine spells) becomes expanded).

Now to stop with the exposition and tell you the name of the class I need.

The berserker class can either become a zealot, where his rage is turned into his passion for his religion, and gains some prayers straight from the cleric list. Either that, or the unnamed one where the berserker can enter a state of absolute uncontrollable rage, more than already. In this state, he has unlimited rage (the berserker resource pool) and deals 25% more damage at the cost of taking damage when in this state.

So does anyone have a name for this class?

Newtonsolo313
2017-02-06, 09:37 PM
My brother (you may know him here as Green Elf) decided to revise and completely fix my TRPG, Sidequest (The version I showed to you guys long ago is trash.) And in it, each class has two prestige classes with the exception of the monk, who can become a master in a new fighting style every 10 levels. Some of them are based on role playing (Such as the knight, who can either become a paladin if Lawful Good or a blackguard if Lawful Evil) while some are based on mechanics (Such as the ranger, who can become either a Hunter, which is more of a sniper or a Shaman, where his access to prayers (divine spells) becomes expanded).

Now to stop with the exposition and tell you the name of the class I need.

The berserker class can either become a zealot, where his rage is turned into his passion for his religion, and gains some prayers straight from the cleric list. Either that, or the unnamed one where the berserker can enter a state of absolute uncontrollable rage, more than already. In this state, he has unlimited rage (the berserker resource pool) and deals 25% more damage at the cost of taking damage when in this state.

So does anyone have a name for this class?
Primal rager?

chif-ii
2017-02-06, 09:38 PM
How about Ravager?

Knaight
2017-02-06, 09:55 PM
The etymology is a bit hazy, but the term "berserker" might well have come from something along the lines of "bear shirt". The "bear" part can be replaced, and has been before (e.g. the term Ulfserker crops up from time to time). Picking an animal better associated with rages than a bear could work here, and while straight up norse options are minimal you can probably find something that fits it linguistically.

The other (probably better) option would be to name this path berserker and rename the base class.

Cluedrew
2017-02-06, 10:08 PM
Hi 8bit, haven't seen you in a while.

Destroyer? Rampager... which is not actually a work but what ever.

8BitNinja
2017-02-06, 10:19 PM
How about Ravager?

I like this one. I'll definitely keep this one in mind.

The etymology is a bit hazy, but the term "berserker" might well have come from something along the lines of "bear shirt". The "bear" part can be replaced, and has been before (e.g. the term Ulfserker crops up from time to time). Picking an animal better associated with rages than a bear could work here, and while straight up norse options are minimal you can probably find something that fits it linguistically.

The other (probably better) option would be to name this path berserker and rename the base class.

I think that you are right about this. But the only time I have heard of this outside of fantasy is Beowulf, and I haven't even read Beowulf.

Hi 8bit, haven't seen you in a while.

Destroyer? Rampager... which is not actually a work but what ever.

I like Rampager, will keep this one in mind.

Hello to you again Cluedrew, nice to see you.

Anderlith
2017-02-07, 01:40 AM
How about Fury?

Or Reaver, Ravager, Tempest, or Untamed?

hymer
2017-02-07, 03:21 AM

I think that you are right about this. But the only time I have heard of this outside of fantasy is Beowulf, and I haven't even read Beowulf.

Lindybeige goes into more detail on what exactly a berserker is here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBUGQkpk3RE), and suffice it to say, it doesn't look good for the fantasy version. :smallwink:

Kitten Champion
2017-02-07, 04:18 AM
How about something like Demon, Oni, Asura, or Beast? Something to imply that they've not simply become a specialized sort of warrior but have lost their very humanity to become something more ominous.

It's not unusual for folk stories and myths about Heroes or Villains who fall into mindless rages to get monstrous/subhuman descriptions applied to them.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-07, 07:49 AM
Blood Rager?

khadgar567
2017-02-07, 09:53 AM
you know what i agree with kitten champion on turning them to subhuman plus it makes nice contrast with zealots divine rage as this guys turns in to dark side for much needed ferocity by losing their remorse

8BitNinja
2017-02-07, 08:01 PM
How about something like Demon, Oni, Asura, or Beast? Something to imply that they've not simply become a specialized sort of warrior but have lost their very humanity to become something more ominous.

It's not unusual for folk stories and myths about Heroes or Villains who fall into mindless rages to get monstrous/subhuman descriptions applied to them.

I like this idea, this is also going to be one I'll talk to Green Elf

Blood Rager?

Maybe Blood Knight. I don't really like the word "Rager"

No offense though

you know what i agree with kitten champion on turning them to subhuman plus it makes nice contrast with zealots divine rage as this guys turns in to dark side for much needed ferocity by losing their remorse

I never thought about that. Have another moral/ethical contrast similar to the Paladin/Blackguard?

Xuc Xac
2017-02-07, 09:06 PM
Fury

Unbound

Gulo

Lacrimis Sanguine

Sredni Vashtar

Honey badger

8BitNinja
2017-02-07, 09:36 PM
Fury

Unbound

Gulo

Lacrimis Sanguine

Sredni Vashtar

Honey badger

This is the perfect name for any class

Or gun (https://www.surplusstore.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/8e94b9347e01b77eb5544a09ce3e947a/a/r/ares-am-014-honey-badger-short-tan-3.jpg) for that matter

Benthesquid
2017-02-07, 09:53 PM
Shield-biter?

Ninjadeadbeard
2017-02-08, 03:44 AM
Reaver or Beast could work.

8BitNinja
2017-02-08, 03:35 PM
Shield-biter?

Isn't this a berserker already? :smallsmile:

Reaver or Beast could work.

Beast has been suggested a few times, so I guess that will be one that will likely be chosen.

I had to look up what Reaver ment, so I learned some Old English today. This one looks really good.

Why re you guys so good at naming things? Why can't it be simple and have a bunch of bad ideas and one good idea?

Cluedrew
2017-02-08, 05:05 PM
Why re you guys so good at naming things? Why can't it be simple and have a bunch of bad ideas and one good idea?Because that would be boring.

And people filter out the bad ideas (I didn't mention Demolisher because it is like Destroyer which you didn't like as much as the other idea I gave. Plus it suggests explosives.

8BitNinja
2017-02-08, 06:53 PM
Because that would be boring.

And people filter out the bad ideas (I didn't mention Demolisher because it is like Destroyer which you didn't like as much as the other idea I gave. Plus it suggests explosives.

That's okay, one our my first ideas was IED (as in Improvised Explosive Device)

SomeNerd
2017-02-09, 10:59 PM
Let's see here...

Bloodrager

Trance Berserker

Unchained Berserker

Animal

Despiser (From a flavor perspective, the Berserker gains more rage by drawing on a complete and utter hatred for everything)

Deathtouched (They bring death to themselves, to you, to everyone in a five mile radius...)

GorinichSerpant
2017-02-09, 11:10 PM
If you want contrast with a zealot, you could call them a blasphemer, heretic, heathen, apostate, profaner or despoiler. Which could lead to an interesting situation where each branch of the class is called by the insult that the other branch refers to them as.

8BitNinja
2017-02-10, 07:40 PM
Let's see here...

Bloodrager

Trance Berserker

Unchained Berserker

Animal

Despiser (From a flavor perspective, the Berserker gains more rage by drawing on a complete and utter hatred for everything)

Deathtouched (They bring death to themselves, to you, to everyone in a five mile radius...)

If you want contrast with a zealot, you could call them a blasphemer, heretic, heathen, apostate, profaner or despoiler. Which could lead to an interesting situation where each branch of the class is called by the insult that the other branch refers to them as.

I love Bloodrager. I might have that I didn't like the word rager, but it looks cool as one word.

The unchained and trance ones are alright. Don't get me wrong, they sound super metal, but Bloodrager outshines both of them.

@Gorinch: Back to the zealot contrast? I like the idea, especially that the class names would seem to be caused by centuries of name-calling.