PDA

View Full Version : Shield Cleric

Elite Hatter
2017-02-06, 09:07 PM
So I've had a few ideas since 5e first came out:

●A taunt ability or mechanic
●"Over-Healing"
●A strictly defensive cleric. Who would rather focus on defending himself and allies rather than worrying about healing or letting his allies get damaged.

This is my attempt at kind of bringing all 3 of these elements together.

Let's start with Domain spells:
1st: Shield, Shield of Faith
3rd: Warding Bond, Barkskin
5th: Magic Circle, Slow
7th:Death Ward, Stoneskin
9th: Anti-Life Shell, Magic Circle

I feel as though this really drives home the point as well as provides a good base of defensive spells. Though, I do think Fire Shield may be more appropriate than Death Ward. Cause you know, Shields...

Proficiencies: Simple Wepons, Martial Weapons, Medium Armor, Heavy Armor, Sheilds

Next up are the features.

Level 1: Gift of Shielding: Whenever you heal a creature with a spell of 1st level or higher that creature gains a Shield that grants temporary hp equal to your wisdom modifier.

A little something to deep different than a life cleric. Or any other Character who can heal. Not too strong, maybe a little weak. But I can't figure out how to balance it for level 1. So this is what I got.

Level 2: Channel Divinity: Shield-Bearers Blessing: As an action you can magically tether yourself to an ally within 5 feet of you for 1 minute, until you are incapacitated, or until you and your ally are more than 5 ft apart. While tether this way your ally gains any bonus AC you have from all sources but Armor (Spells, Magic items, and Shield bonuses). This is a live connection and will increase and decrease as yours does. For example if you cast shield to block a magic missle, your ally gets 5 AC, but loses it as soon as you do your next turn.

This I feel is really, really powerful. But once a rest, and maxing out at no me than 3 times per rest I feel isn't too bad. Also it's fairly easy to break. Lots of creatures grapple, push, or otherwise force characters to move. So o feel it's balanced.

Level 6: Channel Divinity: Ascended Shielding: You may choose to increase the effect from Gift of Shielding to twice your cleric level to times your cleric level. This effect can affect no more than your Wisdom modifier number of creatures at any time.

I feel level 6 is a good time to revisit this ability. And double limiting it with a number of creatures and using a Channel Divinity I think helps keep it in check.

Level 8: Divine Strike: Once per turn, when you hit an enemy with a melee weapon attack you deal an extra 1d8 weapon damage. This increases to 2d8 at level 14.

Same as war cleric. Nothing special here

Level 17: Eternal Warden: Once per long rest as an action you assume a stance of an undeniable opponent for 1 minute to all enemies within 30 feet of you. You gain the following benefits:

1. You gain resistance all Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing damage. If you have resistance to one or multiple of these damage types, you gain immunity.

2. You cannot be reduced below 1 hp from sources of damage. Though magical affects that dont rely on damage, such as a Wish or Power Word Kill Spell can still kill you.

3. Each enemy must succeed a Wisdom saving throw or spend their movement getting as near to you as possible and using their action to attack you. They repeat the saving through if they take any damage not originating from yourself. Any creature who passes the save is unaffected for 24 hours.

4. Your speed becomes 0 for the duration.

So, let me know what you guys think. Feel free to comment any critiques or changes you think are a little too OP or Under powered. I posted this in the 5 e forum and was suggested to bring it here, not sure why I didn't in the first place.