PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Church Inquisitor Reqs

Thurbane
2017-02-07, 12:04 AM
hey all,

I've got a light dilemma fro a character in my group. Well, it's an NPC, but I like to follow RAW where possible.

The character is a LN Favored Soul of Lendor, a LN deity.

The reqs for CI require belonging to a LG church.

Would there be any ill effects if I waived or modified this req? The character meets all other reqs for the PrC.

Cheers - T

Afgncaap5
2017-02-07, 12:10 AM
hey all,

I've got a light dilemma fro a character in my group. Well, it's an NPC, but I like to follow RAW where possible.

Would there be any ill effects if I waived or modified this req? The character meets all other reqs for the PrC.

Cheers - T

I don't think so, personally, but it's important to note any flavor restrictions. Case in point, I might remove the Detect Evil ability.

Zanos
2017-02-07, 12:16 AM
Probably fine. The only issue I can see is that alignment does have some effect on divine casters, since it actually restricts what spells they're able to cast somewhat based on alignment descriptors. So waiving the requirement might make a character that could cast spells that a Church Inquisitor couldn't normally cast.

Usually people don't pick their alignment based on those spells, though.

J-H
2017-02-07, 12:17 AM
RAW, Prestige classes are all at DM discretion, originally considered maybe-optional, and the DM was encouraged to develop PRCs customized for each character.
Go for it.

Zanos
2017-02-07, 12:25 AM
RAW, Prestige classes are all at DM discretion, originally considered maybe-optional, and the DM was encouraged to develop PRCs customized for each character.
Go for it.
Originally maybe, but I think that went out the window design wise when every printed source book starting having 5-15 prestige classes.

Deophaun
2017-02-07, 12:46 AM
That's not actually a deal breaker. As clerics need only be within one step of alignment from their deity, there could conceivably be a LG church of a LN diety.

Furthermore, being favored souls and not clerics, they can be more... eccentric. Maybe Lendor has inspired him to study with a LG church associated with a different deity. You want to learn patience? Try explaining to a paladin why he can't just use smite evil on every random shopkeeper who shaves off some gold on his coin.

CozJa
2017-02-07, 07:21 AM
hey all,

Cheers - T

I'd say no problems in changing requirements a bit. But you don't need to do it: Church Inquisitor requires the character to be part of a LG church or religious order, and there's nothing against a LN deity having a LG branch within his church hierachy (they may be paladins, or even clerics devoted to some specific good task)

Thurbane
2017-02-07, 02:39 PM
That's not actually a deal breaker. As clerics need only be within one step of alignment from their deity, there could conceivably be a LG church of a LN diety.

Furthermore, being favored souls and not clerics, they can be more... eccentric. Maybe Lendor has inspired him to study with a LG church associated with a different deity. You want to learn patience? Try explaining to a paladin why he can't just use smite evil on every random shopkeeper who shaves off some gold on his coin.

I'd say no problems in changing requirements a bit. But you don't need to do it: Church Inquisitor requires the character to be part of a LG church or religious order, and there's nothing against a LN deity having a LG branch within his church hierachy (they may be paladins, or even clerics devoted to some specific good task)

Thanks, that's perfect. :smallsmile: