PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Reactive Fighter (PEACH)

Deleted
2017-02-07, 12:09 AM
The Stone Sorcerer made me remember a homebrew I did a while ago but never published for feedback! Never used it, as I kinda forgot about it due to a significant year and being busy... But I want to eventually.

Basically it's a Fighter who has something to do with their reaction. The base form of this Fighter is the Warblade (Battle Master) archetype BUT if you don't like the focus on reaction you can always play the Champion or Eldritch Knight.

As I recall I wanted to make all three subclasses really simple because I think new players should be able to play an EK, Champion, or Warblade (Battle Master) depending on their preference and you shouldn't have unlock a door in order to play an EK.

Note about EK: You can easily turn this subclass into a psuedo Warlord, a Warden, or a Paladin by selecting different spell lists (Bard, Druid, or Cleric). I might go back and just change the subclass to Magic Knight or something like that at some point.

Note about MC: There was a MC restriction but really, if you allow multiclassing even with just the PHB you are getting unbalanced options.

"You can’t combine features from other classes with these maneuvers (such as spells, smite, or sneak attack)"

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ryyKJ6UOg

Edit

Changed the EK to a Spellblade in order to make an easier spell casting fighter.

Also, I will put Fighting Style and Martial Archetype at 1st level, Second Wind at 2nd level, and Reactive Maneuvers at 3rd level. It has bugged me for a while that it takes 3 levels for the fighter to know what they are but other classes learn at level 1 or 2. May need to alter the spellblade a bit

The Warblade will be recreated, I added some of the features to the base rules but in also making reactive fighting not cause damage for the most part. I want to make Reactive Maneuvers be more about control than direct damage. Mostly.

ChubbyRain
2017-02-07, 11:38 PM
The Stone Sorcerer made me remember a homebrew I did a while ago but never published for feedback! Never used it, as I kinda forgot about it due to a significant year and being busy... But I want to eventually.

Basically it's a Fighter who has something to do with their reaction. The base form of this Fighter is the Warblade (Battle Master) archetype BUT if you don't like the focus on reaction you can always play the Champion or Eldritch Knight.

As I recall I wanted to make all three subclasses really simple because I think new players should be able to play an EK, Champion, or Warblade (Battle Master) depending on their preference and you shouldn't have unlock a door in order to play an EK.

Note about EK: You can easily turn this subclass into a psuedo Warlord, a Warden, or a Paladin by selecting different spell lists (Bard, Druid, or Cleric). I might go back and just change the subclass to Magic Knight or something like that at some point.

Note about MC: There was a MC restriction but really, if you allow multiclassing even with just the PHB you are getting unbalanced options.

"You can’t combine features from other classes with these maneuvers (such as spells, smite, or sneak attack)"

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ryyKJ6UOg

Bro, why not just make all the damaging reaction maneuvers scale together and work off your secondary stat?

Levels 1 - 4: 1d4 + Int/Wis mod damage
Levels 5 - 8: 1d6 + Int/Wis mod damage
Levels 9 - 10: 1d8 + Int/Wis mod damage

Or

Have them work like cantrips. 1d8 damage and then at level 5 (tho you could do later) have it upgrade to 2d8?

This way things stay simple yet consistent?

Deleted
2017-02-08, 12:10 AM
Bro, why not just make all the damaging reaction maneuvers scale together and work off your secondary stat?

Levels 1 - 4: 1d4 + Int/Wis mod damage
Levels 5 - 8: 1d6 + Int/Wis mod damage
Levels 9 - 10: 1d8 + Int/Wis mod damage

Or

Have them work like cantrips. 1d8 damage and then at level 5 (tho you could do later) have it upgrade to 2d8?

This way things stay simple yet consistent?

Hmmm...

At low level a weapon attack is going to be 1d8 + 3 (Mod) + 2 = 9 damage on average

18 damage per round would be a lot.

That's like frenzy or PAM level, I don't want this to be that great at dealing damage.

I need to make it where the Warblade can't use more than 1 reaction per round. That might be the easiest way to fix this issue... Yeah I think ill do that.

That way each round the damage output maximum should be equal to a hunter ranger with colossus slayer. (2 attacks, mod twice, dueling style twice, +1d8 damage) BUT have a bit of utility options.

Tomorrow I'll change the Warblade and the damage for maneuvers.