PDA

View Full Version : Player Help A total noob needs help badly.

DiamondBreaker4
2017-02-07, 12:33 AM
I'm trying to make the following character for any 3.5 game:

A human fighter or rouge who is a mercenary for hire and is a daft hand with a bow.

I need help with filling out the character sheets because this is literally the first time I've done this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kelb_Panthera
2017-02-07, 03:15 AM
Two questions;

What level?

And did you mean adept with a bow?

DiamondBreaker4
2017-02-07, 03:59 AM
Uh, any level? I'm just doing this so I can get used to making characters so, 1?

I mean like a sniper for hire. He could be a Ranger.

Mastikator
2017-02-07, 06:01 AM
A rogue is a decent option for a sniper. And human is a good choice. Point Blank shot (+1 damage on short range bow attacks) and Improved Initiative (+4 initiative) are solid feat options. Rapid shot might also work.
As for skills, take all the stealth ones (hide, move silently, spot), the social ones (diplomacy, bluff) because you're a merchant (of death) after all and then the mobility ones (like climb, jump, etc) so you can get to good sniping spots.
As for stats, as much dexterity as possible. The rest is flavor town.

ATHATH
2017-02-07, 03:26 PM
I'm trying to make the following character for any 3.5 game:

A human fighter or rouge who is a mercenary for hire and is a daft hand with a bow.

I need help with filling out the character sheets because this is literally the first time I've done this.

Any help would be appreciated.

A human fighter or rouge who is a

fighter or rouge

rouge

rouge

http://www.evilenglish.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/I-must-correct-you-anyway.jpg

DiamondBreaker4
2017-02-07, 07:23 PM
:smalltongue: That was what I needed today.

The thing here is that I've never filled out a character sheet in my life. So I need help with that (doing the number crunching) as well.

I have a Myth Weavers account.

aimlessPolymath
2017-02-07, 09:59 PM
Most important question for us to help: What system?

You should probably ask a mod to move this to the appropriate forum for that system. Just report your own post by hitting the button on the bottom-left side.

Kelb_Panthera
2017-02-08, 12:01 AM
Call me an ass for suggesting something so obvious but have you tried following the steps on PHB page 6?

DiamondBreaker4
2017-02-22, 09:03 PM
Call me an ass for suggesting something so obvious but have you tried following the steps on PHB page 6?

Oh, :smalltongue: No, I didn't.

I have the .pdf version of it but all the pdf readers are just annoying as hell and make sifting through big books such as this annoying as hell.

NomGarret
2017-02-22, 10:59 PM
Do you have a DM, or are you just doing this on your own? I ask because DMs will commonly have house rules which will affect your decisions. These might range from "this feat is disallowed because it's too powerful" to "in this world, all bounty hunters are licensed by the government." One particular DM decision that will make a pretty significant effect on your character building is how your ability scores are determined. Sometimes you roll them randomly, and there are several methods of doing so. Sometimes you buy them up with points. Sometimes you just use an array of good, middling, and poor stats and arrange them. Since almost all of the derived math relies on your ability scores, there's a limit to how much you can fill out without determining those. Other choices, like feats and number of skill points, rely on knowing your ability scores as well, but it's reasonable to expect you'll have enough to do what you want in this case. In other words, take the feats you want, and make sure you have the ability scores to do so later.

Beyond that, welcome and happy gaming!

DiamondBreaker4
2017-02-22, 11:49 PM
I don't have a DM. I'm by myself.

Stealth Marmot
2017-02-23, 10:09 AM
MMMMMMMMKAY let's sit on down, grab a cup of your favorite caffeinated or alcoholic drink and let's go down the list of

HOW TO FILL OUT A D&D 3.5 CHARACTER SHEET: 101

written by: an idiot with a fuzzy assassin for an avatar.

So you want to fill out a character sheet then huh? Planning to save the world, or just after coin and cleavage? Ah who cares, this is all about the most exciting thing about D&D:

PAPERWORK!

Okay Okay, let's get serious here and actually go through and talk about what you, as a potential adventurous person, must do to have the proper paperwork filled out so that the DM can act like the protagonist of Papers Please.

Step 0: What kind of sheet are you pulling?

This is step 0 because technically speaking, there are actually a whole lot of different character sheets made for 3.5 characters. There is the one in the book, freely available off the WOTC site which is 2 pages, but the WOTC site also has PDFs of more expansive sheets which are 4 pages, and others exist that are actually class specific. Fan sites have made sheets as well.

For the purpose of this particular exercise, I will be using the 2 page sheet seen in the actual 3.5 players handbook. You should not need a second walkthrough because these sheets have mostly the same info, just some of them have a little more room or some extra information that is more optional. Once you know what the heck a "Base Attack Bonus" is, the other sheets should feel like same sheet, different form.

Step 1: Conceptualizingationisms.

Before you start filling out anything besides your name, (which I should hope you know how to do otherwise you disappoint Miss Watterson, your first grade teacher) you need to get yourself an idea of what sort of character you are playing.

This method can take many forms. For example, I have my players go through a process called Central Casting which adds a backstory for the character, which can form what class they choose.

More experienced players often look at the gaps in the rest of the partyt or think about what they haven't done in a while.

You don't have to get all the details obviously. I find the best method is to sum up your character in 2 words. One describes the character, the other describes what they do. Mysterious Bard. Reckless Spellblaster. Optimistic paladin. Magical Spy. No-nonsense Brawler.

You have managed to do this already: Mercenary Archer. A straightforward archetype that works well within the context of the D&D world. Good on you. Some people have trouble getting even to that stage.

Step 2: New Sheet, who dis?

Now we have to start making some foundational decisions on the character that are actually going to be written down. You have the concept, mercenary archer, now let's start making hard decisions on the character.

You already decided Human, so that covers race, but also a few other details. On that brand new sheet, look for "Race" and put "Human". One detail about humans you can also write down is the size, so in that top area where it says "Size" put "M" for Medium. Humans are medium sized, which is the default. Most core races are medium, including dwarves, but gnomes and halflings are Small so you would have put "S" there. Being Medium helps you not worry about things that may come up later.

So next you have to decide what your human looks like. The first question is: Male or Female.

Side note: While I fully support trans rights and visibility, along with people who identify as gender fluid or similar areas where people's gender identities are unconventional, I think that it's best if we stick with the conventional for now.

So let's say you decide your mercenary pees standing up, so put "M" in the gender spot.

Now that we have a gender, let's go with a character name. You would think this would be first, but you do have to decide race and gender first, otherwise the name might not make sense.

Whoever heard of a dwarf with the last name "LeafFlutter" for example. Human names are easiest because you can use real people's names. Most people like to have a hardcore sounding name that matches their personality. A guy with a big melee fighter may call their character Roll Fizzlebeef. For your archer however, I doubt Blast Hardcheese or Big McLargehuge would be appropriate.

One thing to remember is that your character did not choose their name, they were born with it. parents don't know they are raising a future paladin, they just name their kids. However, a NICKNAME is useful in making your character distinct, and match their persona better.

For the sake of this exercise, I have decided to name this character Henry Waters. A common name, but write down Henry "Bricks" Waters. Bricks is his nickname that I decided he got when he killed his first target by throwing bricks at their head until the skull cracked open. He probably uses his alias when introducing himself "They call me Bricks."

What about age? Height? Weight? All of these can be decided with random die rolls as seem in the players handbook but they rarely come up unless your dumb ass is being carried out of the dungeon because a poison trap killed you. I dont know of a single DM who would be opposed to deciding these factors for yourself within reason, so let's say that Bricks is not too tall, around 5'9", and lithe so 155 pounds, and not too old so 21 years old. For age put 21, for height put 5'9", and for weight put 155.

For eye, hair and skin color, put Brown eyes, Black hair, and pale skin. Again, I am deciding these things for you, so don't worry too much about them, but when making a character keep an idea of how they look, and don't be afraid to edit the details a bit a couple of sessions in. After a few sessions though, keep it consistent so that the DM can describe you correctly as other players see you.

For alignment, think back to your character. There are two aspects of alignment. Is he good, evil, or neutral? The person you described as a mercenary probably wouldn't be good aligned as they are concerned for money over people, but you didn't indicate he was particularly malevolent or heartless, so let's say he errs on neutral in that regard. The second "axis" is lawful, neutral, or chaotic. Is the character particularly regimented or dedicated to a cause? Sounds like no, so he isn't lawful. Is the character self reliant and free spirited? Sounds like he probably would be being a mercenary. So he is chaotic.

For alignment put "CN" for Chaotic Neutral.

Deity: Since your character is not a cleric, you can leave this blank or put "None", unless you happen to know of a deity you think your character would pray to. This can be an important part of a character, and is if they are a cleric or even paladin, but not a necessary part of the sheet by any means.

As for Class, the last item, I'm going to help you out and decide that for you as well. Ranger, that way we can talk about a lot of little things and it is a good halfway between a rogue and a fighter. Under class put "Ranger 1". This says that you have 1 level in Ranger. There will be a lot to follow because of that decision, but this is just meant to be an example. Once you start understanding classes, picking one for a concept will be natural. This is just helping you fill out your D&D W-2s.

So we have finished all of the parts that are mostly things a real person can relate to, and creating a real person visually and to a degree, their characteristics. Bricks is a lithe, dark, probably rough looking dude who looks like he's seen some stuff.

Step 3: Hes got a stat for that.

So if you look just below all of that stuff , you see six "abilities" in a row that say things like STR and DEX. These stand for your characters base statistics.
Strength(STR), The ability to carry stuff, hit things with a stick well, and crush a tomato.
Dexterity(DEX): The ability to thread a needle, shoot a bow, or dodge a tomato.
Constitution(CON): The ability to take a sword to the face, run a marathon, or eat a rotten tomato.
Intelligence(INT): The ability to do complex math, learn skills, or know that tomatoes are a fruit.
Wisdom(WIS): The ability to see and hear things, sense feelings, or understand why you don't put tomatoes in fruit salad.
Charisma(CHA): The ability to make your voice heard, intimidate an enemy, or sell a tomato based fruit salad.

Now we have to figure out what those stats are. So we get to stat creation. Generally, there are 3 methods:

Array: You are given 6 stats right off the bat, like 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8, (This is the default array) and then you put the stats where you want. Different arrays are given out based on the power levels of the game. This is the easiest method as players don't have to actually worry about how to generate the stats, but most players prefer a bit more to stat generation.

Rolling: There are different methods but the default method is you roll 4d6 (four six sided dice) and then you remove the lowest roll of the 4, and add up the result. That generates 1 stat.

You repeat 5 more times until you have 6 total stats and place them wherever you want. This is the most traditional method overall, and dates back to the origins of D&D. It has the potential of generating MUCH higher stats, but also the pitfall of possibly generating much lower ones. This is the only way you will see a character created with a stat under 8 (Before racial adjustments)

Point Buy: You start with 8 in every stat and a pool of points, then you spend those points to increase the stats. The pool is usually 25, 28, or 32 points based on the power level of the game. It costs 1 point to increase a stat by 1 up until 14, then costs more to increase it beyond that. There is some math involved so I'll just link to a point buy calculator:

http://www.propelled.de/extern/chargen

When you have these 6 stats made, you then have to decide where you are putting them. For the sake of making Brick the Ranger, let's go ahead and use the array, 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. Since Brick is human he does not have racial adjustments to his class.

Now Brick is an archer mainly, and dexterity adds to ranged attacks, so Brick will put the 15 in Dexterity. Brick also needs to be tough, so he puts the 14 in constitution. Brick also wants to be decent in melee fighting so he would put the 13 in strength. Brick is a Ranger, so he will need some wisdom for spells eventually, so he puts the 12 in Wisdom. Brick does not need intelligence much, but it does decide skill points, so he will put the 10 in intelligence, and since he isn't going to be a very nice fellow or the one that speaks for the party, the 8 in charisma will be fine.

So Bricks stats are: Strength 13 Dexterity 15 Constitution 14 Intelligence 10 Wisdom 12 Charisma 8. Place them accordingly under "Ability Score"

So next to each ability score it says "Ability modifier". This is the real important number for reference, the actual scores won't be necessary to remember aside from them generating the modifier.

To figure out what the modifier is, take the score, subtract 10, THEN half the result, and round down. Confused? Well there is a chart in the players handbook to help, but I can tell you the modifiers right now to save time. The modifiers are: Strength +1, Dexterity +2, Constitution +2, Intelligence 0, Wisdom +1, Charisma -1 (YES you can have negative modifiers.) In the

"Ability Modifiers" list, put, from top to bottom, +1 +2 +2 0 +1 -1. But sure to put the plus or minus next to it as that will be important.

You can leave the temporary score/modifiers area blank, that won't come into play until you start wearing magic items. If your DM gave you gloves of dexterity at first level, just give the incriminating photos back.

Step 4: The numbers say I'm not dead

We're going to be filling in some boxes around the top of this page, but we won't be able to fill in all of them just yet. The first one to fill in is HP, Hit points. Now if you have played any of the quintillion RPG video games, you know what a hit point is. Question is, how many do you get?

Well that is based first on Class. Bricks is a Ranger so he has what's called a d8 hit die. What does that mean? It means when he gains a level he rolls an 8 sided die and adds that number to his hit points. At first level however, characters take the maximum die roll. So Brick has 8 hit points from that. We aren't done however because Brick also adds his constitution modifer to his hit points. Without me telling you, what's the modifier? Look at the sheet.

I'll wait.

What? You'll never learn if I just tell you. OH FINE it's +2. So Bricks adds 2 to 8 and gets 10. Brick has 10 hit points. That's how much sword to the face he can take before keeling over.

Now keep in mind that once Brick has killed enough kobolds to gain enough experience to gain a level (this leaving a whole lot of kobold kiddies fatherless), he will gain d8 +2 hit points.

So next level, you would roll an 8 sided die, take that number, add 2 (your constitution modifier) and add the total to your total hit points. That's right, orphaning a bunch of kobold children allows Brick to get stabbed in the face more times. Our hero.

Have I mentioned that these stats are meant to be rather abstract?

Anyway, Put 10 in the "HP Hit points" field.

Look a bit to the right under "Speed". Humans have a speed of 30 feet. Put "30 feet" in there. What does that mean? You'll have to learn how combat works and that is not why we're here. Why would we want to learn how to actually play a game when we can fill out forms? Wait...

Moving on, Armor Class. We haven't bought armor yet, but we can fill out the area that says "Dex Modifier". No I won't tell you that one this time, you're a grown adult, you can do it for yourself now. Under "Size Modifier" put 0. That's because humans are medium and have a size modifier of 0. I actually put a dash in there but I'm a rebel like that. Humans also have no natural armor so put a 0 in Natural armor. Armor, Shield, Deflection, and "Misc" you can leave blank since those are decided by equipment and you don't have any yet, but you might later.

Leave "Damage reduction" blank. "Touch" Armor Class and "Flat Footed" armor class, well, remember when i said you will need to learn combat for speed? You'll need to learn about combat for Touch and flatfooted armor class as well, so just leave them blank and fill them in as you learn.

Initiative is the total of your DEX modifier and "misc modifiers" You have no misc modifiers, so that is a 0, do your initiative is your DEX modifier. What is initiative? That also is part of combat and you will learn about it. Long story short, it helps decide who gets to do their actions first. Maybe I'll do another post just about these things, but we have things to do, people to see and subsequently kill for their money. We're heroes.

Step 5: Jesus saves...and takes half damage

Saving throws are how you defend against unconventional things like fireballs, psychic attacks, poisons, and not catching something when you spent the night with that barmaid.

Let's fill it in, step by step. "Base Saves" These are based on your class levels. A Ranger starts at +2 for fortitude saves and reflex saves, and +0 for will saves. You can check this by looking up the Ranger class, it has a chart. Every class does.

Under "Base save" put 2 for Fortitude, 2 for Reflex, and 0 for Will. The ability modifier is based on the ability listed underneath that save. Fortitude is based on Constitution, Reflex is based on Dexterity, and Will is based on Wisdom. Under "Ability Modifier" put your CON modifier for Fortitude, your DEX modifier for Reflex, and your WIS modifier for Will.

You won't have any magic, misc, or temporary modifiers so you can leave the rest of that blank. Add up the totals between the numbers you did list and put them under "Total" Hint: They will end up +4, +4, and +1. Whenever someone says "Roll a reflex save' you will roll a 20 sided die, add 4 from your total reflex modifier, and pray that equals a set number needed to avoid taking as much damage.

Step 6: Base attack bonus, basically I attack

Base Attack bonus represents a number you add whenever you try to hit something with anything or in some cases, anyone. Smacking someone with a sword, shooting them with a bow, throwing a brick at their head, all of these add the base attack bonus to the roll. This number is also based on class, so look at the chart. In this case, first level, Rangers have a +1 cause they are good at hitting things, and that number goes up by 1 every level. So in the box named Base Attack Bonus put +1, and put 1 whenever something asks for base attack Bonus. You know, like "Grapple" just beneath that.

In fact by now I think you are catching on, so you see all those boxes next to Grapple and I think you know what to put into them. Do me proud and do it by yourself. (By the way, misc modifier can be left blank)

Spell resistance can be left blank.

Step 7: Bills incoming, skills must be prepared for payment

So look on the right at skills. HOLY CANOLI! You have to fill out all of that? What...where...why....COME ON!

Okay calm down, take a breath...put the vodka down. Now we...PUT THE CAP ON THE BOTTLE...now we don't need to fill out ALL of these skills. In fact, most of them will be left blank.

Now the way that skills work is that you train in a skill by putting in skill points. You start with a big pool of them, and you put those points into a skill, and become better at it. Each skill point you put into it will give you +1 when rolling that skill.

Before you try to dump all the skill points into a single skill, keep in mind you have a cap on how many you can put into a skill at once. That cap is your level + 3, so at first level you can only put 4 points into any skill.

Side note: Technically you put in skill points to get skill RANKS, but explaining the difference and reason behind that is complicated, and generally irrelevant if you want to make a basic character. Also kind of stupid. Pathfinder did it better. BUT MOVING ON.

Now when you level up normally, you get skill ranks based on class and intelligence modifier. In the Rangers case, they get 6 + INT modifier skill points a level. Your INT modifier is 0 so you only get 6 points, right? NOPE! Because you are human!

Humans get an extra skill point per level. That's 7 skill points a level for Bricks.

First level though, you get QUADRUPLE skill points. That's because you start off pretty good and slowly get better rather then suddenly getting double everything second level.

So Bricks starts with 7x4=28 skill points.

Now can he put those skill points into any skill? Technically yes, but if he puts them into anything besides a CLASS SKILL, it won't be as effective. What's a class skill? Check your class's description. It has a handly list of skills that are considered class skills for the Ranger, or any class you look up. The Skills chapter ALSO has a handy chart where a Class skill says C and Cross Class skills (long story) are labeled CC. So like a mediocre college student, look for Cs.

The character sheet has a handy checkbox next to every skill that lets you put a check if it's a class skill. Do that now after comparing the Ranger's class skill list. Check check check....done yet? Ok. OH! You need to know about Knowledge (Nature) and the like? well they left the knowledges blank, so just write in "Nature" and put a check mark next to it. Do the same with any other knowledge Rangers have as a class skill.

Now you can distribute the 28 skill points into any class skills you want however you want, but you can only put 4 into each at max. For the sake of simplicity and doing things as well as possible, let's pick 7 skills to put the maximum 4 ranks into.

On that chart, the column second to the right is labeled Ranks. Put a 4 in that column on the rows of the skills you want to be good at. Here are my suggestions, put those 4 ranks into:

Handle Animal, Hide, Knowledge (Nature), Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Survival

Okay so you have the ranks listed, but is that it? Nope. Each skill has an ability modifier attached to it. You're getting pretty good at figuring out ability modifiers by now. So for example, next to Handle Animal you have the ability modifier for Charisma, which is -1. Add in the 4 ranks you have, and the total comes to 3. So when using a Handle Animal check, you roll a 20 sided die, and add 3 to the result. What about Hide? Well hide uses DEX which Brick has a +2 modifier in. 2+4 = 6. So when hiding, Bricks rolls a 20 sided die and adds 6, because he is really sneaky.

Finish filling out the rest. No, you don't have any misc modifiers at this time.

See those big boxes that say "Attacks"? yeah, we'll get back to those.

Step 8: Feats Features Efreet's Feet Fee...

Okay so now you have to pick a feat. TWO even! If Bricks was a fighter he would have three but alas you will just have to stand on your two feats. HAH I MADE A FUNNY!

Feats are little chose benefits a character has that give them a bonus or remove a penalty under certain circumstances, or they allow a character to do something that a character isn't normally able to do.

Anyway, Bricks will get bonus feats as a Ranger later, so be sure to look up what those will be and not take them as your feats right now so they aren't wasted. Brick will get a feat called Rapid Shot at second level, (Since he will go the archery path for a Ranger) so don't take Rapid Shot. Instead, take Point Blank Shot as your first feat. The reason is that just about every archery related feat has point blank shot as a pre-requisite. What's a pre-requisite? It means you have to have it BEFORE you can take whatever the next thing is.

The second feat should be Precise Shot. That way Bricks doesn't take a HUGE penalty when trying to shoot the guy his buddy is trying to punch or stab in melee.

SO, under "Feats" list "Point Blank Shot" and "Precise Shot"

Favored Enemy: At first level a Ranger picks a favorite enemy he likes to kill from a list. You get a bonus of +2 on damage and some skills against these creatures. Undead and Magical Beats are popular picks because they are common and tough, but I think Bricks hates Ogres. Ogres are Giants, so he would pick Giants as his favored enemies. Put "Favored Enemy Giants +2" in the Special abilities list. The ability will scale up over time, so keep that page bookmarked.

Also under Special Abilities list put "Wild Empathy". See, Bricks can calm or befriend animals using body language and careful movement. Ever seen that movie Lethal Weapon where Martin Riggs calms the guard dog and makes it his friend? It's sort of like that. You don't have to know how it works right now, just keep it in mind when a bear comes by and wants to wreck Bricks day, he could turn that bear into his friend for a little while.

Languages: Pretty self explanatory. Bricks can speak Common, so write "Common" and that is it. If Bricks had a higher intelligence or had a racial language for being something like an elf or dwarf, or spent two skill points, he could add another language but Bricks hates learning languages so he never did.

Step 9: Spelling "Spells"

https://cdn.meme.am/Instance/Preview?imageID=2276176&text0=This%20is%20where%20he%20would%20put%20spell s&text1=If%20he%20had%20any

If Bricks were a wizard or sorcerer he would have spells here, but he isn't so he doesn't BUT Brick will one day get spells so it might be a good idea to know what to put here.

Bricks will be a divine spellcaster (since his magic comes from nature) so he can cast anything on the Ranger spell list once he can cast spells, but he has to pray for his spells to get them, so he has to decide what he wants to cast when he prays. Long story short, you should just list the spells he would NORMALLY have prepared next to the appropriate spell level. So when

Bricks can cast a single first level spell, just put the name of whatever spell he would normally memorize next to the area listed as "1st". He will get more later.

Honestly this character sheet is pretty bad at spells to begin with but hey, we work with what we got, and Bricks doesn't have to worry about it yet.

"Spell save" is how hard it is for a spell cast by Brick to Resist. He puts a modifier in here. Which modifier? Well his spells are WISDOM based so he puts his WISDOM modifier in there. You remember how to find that out right?

Since his spells are not arcane and have no conditional modifiers you can leave the next couple of boxes blank.

The next area is how many spells you know and/or would get per day based on your class and level, bonus spells based on your ability score, and save DC based on your ability modifier + the level of the spell. When you learn about spells you can fill that in for your character, but for now, leave it blank.

Step 10: BUY ME SUMFIN!

So the last major point of this exercise is buying equipment for your character. So let's start by finding out how much moolah you have to spend on your starting good and what sorts of weapons and armor Bricks will be packing.

Before we start though, write down "Explorers outfit" under equipment. It is generally accepted that you get a free set of clothing, and by free I mean it doesn't cost starting money OR weigh anything. The weight is not added on to your encumbrance, so you can list the weight of the outfit as "-" So under "Other Possessions" put "Explorers Outfit" and in the little column where it says "WT." (weight) put "-". You can ignore the column named "PG." because honestly I don't even know what that is.

There, now Bricks bits are not swinging in the wind so we can concentrate on other goods.

Now we need to know how much moolah Bricks has to start. That is based on his class, Ranger. A ranger gets 6d4 x 10 starting gold. That means that you roll six 4-sided dice and add them up, then multiply the total by 10. Now I don't have dice with me at the moment so we will take the average (2.5 per die). 2.5 x 6 = 15. 15x 10 = 150 gold. Bricks has 150 gold to spend on starting gear.

Now Bricks will need to buy weapons, armor, food, and anything else he needs with that 150 gold. I'll go ahead and make with the shopping here:

Armor: Let's check the area for Armor in the book. Bricks can only use light armor (or at least can only use light armor correctly). Now he could use a chain shirt, the best light armor, but that is expensive at 100 gold and he doesn't have that much cash to burn, especially since longbows are expensive (I'll get to that in a bit). So instead the 25 gp Studded Leather will have to do.

Keep a little scrap of paper around because shopping means spending money and that means MATH.

So take 25 gp off and under "Armor/Protective Item" list "Studded Leather". Under "Type" put "Light", Under "AC Bonus" put "+3" (This will be important later!), under "Max Dex" put "+5",

Under "Check Penalty" put "-1", Leave Spell Failure blank or just put a dash in it, do the same for "Speed" (Since light armor doesn't affect your movement speed), and under "Weight" put "20" (For 20 pounds.). It's regular armor so it doesn't have special properties.

You can leave "Shield/Protective Item" entirely blank since Bricks decided that Link jerk is an idiot and has no shield. He also has no other Protective items because Bricks is pretty broke and protective items cost thousands of gold. He as a lot of orcs to stab and loot before he has that sort of money.

So Bricks needs weapons next to be able to stab and loot said orcs. Bricks is a Ranger so he can use any weapons listed as "Simple" or "Martial" in the pages that list weapons. Since he is a bow guy, the first weapon he should get is a longbow. And that longbow costs 75 FRELLING GOLD??? Yeesh... good thing we didn't get that expensive armor. So 75 gold is taken from the fund, leaving 50 gold left. He should also have a longsword which costs 15 gold in case he needs to get up in someone's grill. He also needs arrows. 20 arrows for 1 gold. That leaves 34 gold left.

So where do we put those weapon? Well first we list them under "Other Possessions". We put down "Longbow" and then in the "WT." column put 3 for 3 pounds. The arrows (presumed in quiver) weigh 3 pounds, and the longsword weighs 4 pounds. You can fill those in yourself, I believe in you.

So now we have weapons and armor, but what about other stuff he might need, like food? Well now we have to look at the Goods and Services page. Now he needs a backpack to stuff all his gear and loot into, so write down "Backpack", subtract 2 gold, and put "2" under weight for 2 pounds. He also needs a Bedroll which is 1 silver piece. Wait WHATS A SILVER PIECE? It is 1/10th of a gold, ya dig? So take .1 off your gold and put "Bedroll" under possessions and put 5 under "WT." because it weighs 5 pounds. Now let's also get him a Hooded lantern (2 pounds), Flint and steel (negligible weight) 3 pints of oil (3 pounds), and 6 days of rations (6 pounds). Overall the equipment will cost 13.4 gold, so Bricks has 19 gold and 6 silver left. He should keep that as spending money. So list all the things I listed as well as the weights. Under "Money" put a 6 next to "SP" and an 19 next to "GP".

Now add up the weights of the "Other possessions, add it to the weight of the armor and you get "Total Weight Carried". It will total 48 pounds if I did my maths right.

Coins have a weight too, but I wouldn't worry about it as there is 50 coins to the pound and you won't be getting that much coinage until higher level.

Now we should take a moment to check your loads. Light load, medium load, heavy load, and the rest.

Bricks has a 13 Strength, so 50 pounds or less is a light load. 51-100 is a medium load. 101-150 is a heavy load, and 150 is the max load. Lift over head is 150, Lift off ground is 300, and push or drag is 750. Since you come up under 50 pounds you have a light load and don't suffer from movement penalties!

But there is MORE! You see, since you picked up your equipment, you need to head back to page 1 to fill in the missing information I bet you forgot about!

Step 11: Back to Page/Square 1!

Okay so, we have picked up all sorts of stuff and we need to add in all the little things we couldn't before. Remember Armor Class? Well now we can fill in that little box that says "Armor Bonus" with a 3, and add a dash to the shield because shields are for wussy Nintendo characters. So adding up 2 for dexterity, 3 for armor, and 10 from the base, you get an armor class of

15! Put 15 in that box and be proud of yourself. Or not. Same to me.

"Touch Armor Class" is what you get without armor or shields so put "12" and Flat footed is what you get when you don't have time to react or pull your pants up, so you don't get your dexterity modifier. So put "13" for "Flat Footed Armor Class"

But wait, what about skills? You see, since you are wearing studded leather, you take a -1 on certain skills because the armor gets in the way. See, it's a bunch of stretchy leather and metal studded bits that can be a bit heavy and still so it isn't as easy to say, sneak by or do ballet in it. So any skill that has a little asterisk takes a -1 as long as you are using that armor. You may want to put a -1 in "Misc modifiers", or you might instead just try to remember to put the penalty in place.

After adjusting your skills accordingly we get to the final big area you need to get to, ATTACKS! You see, Bricks has two primary attacks, shooty and stabby. Let's start with stabby.

Under the first "Attack" put "Longsword" since it is your stabby longsword. "Attack Bonus" is the total of all the normal modifiers you would get with the weapon. In this case, add your base attack bonus (+1) to your strength bonus (+1) and you get +2 total. Bricks will add 2 to his d20 roll when trying to stab a goblin in the face with the longsword. Under damage you will put the damage of the weapon and the bonus damage due to strength and pother factors (just strength for now). The weapon is a d8 (1 8-sided die) and +1 for strength. So put under damage "d8+1". Critical is how often a critical happens and how hard the critical hits. On a 19-20 a longsword does double damage, so put "19-20/x2". It is not a ranged weapon so you leave "Ranged" blank. "Type" refers to the type of damage the weapon does. A longsword is versatile, so it can so slashing damage or piercing damage. Under "Type" put P/S. You cal leave notes empty because the longsword doesn't have any other special tricks to it. It's a pretty straightforward weapon.

Now the next "Attack" put "Longbow". The attack bonus is your base attack bonus plus your DEXTERITY modifier because it is a ranged weapon. So +1 plus +2, total +3. Put "+3" under "Attack Bonus". Now damage is TECHNICALLY based on the ammo, but the longbow only uses arrows so... put "d8" under damage. Now ranged attacks do NOT add either dexterity modifiers or strength modifiers to damage unless otherwise stated, so the damage is just d8. A longbow only criticals on a natural 20, but it does TRIPLE damage when it does so, so put "x3" under critical. The range is 100 for 100 feet. Damage is Piercing so under "Type" put "P". Under "Notes, since you have Point Blank Shot, go ahead and put "Point Blank +1 attack and Damage" to remind yourself to get a bonus to attack and damage when you are within 30 feet.

Below the Attack is the option for keeping track of ammo as you like.

Step 12: Final Bits

Be sure to check over your work and look on Page 2, Under "Campaign" you should say the name of the campaign Bricks is going to be smashing faces in, or the name of your DM if he hasn't named the campaign. Under Experience Points, add a 0 since Bricks is a spanking new character.

AND YOU ARE DONE SIR! You should have all the little specks you need filled in and be ready to go out and turn Bricks into a hero. Now go have fun and slay some sentient beings and take their stuff. In the game I mean. In real life that is murder.

Have fun storming the castle!

DiamondBreaker4
2017-02-23, 03:25 PM
I'm using Myth-weavers and I think they use the character sheet found in the PHB.

Knaight
2017-02-23, 03:53 PM
I'm using Myth-weavers and I think they use the character sheet found in the PHB.

The sheets just tend to rearrange the same information; occasionally they'll add new boxes for distinct special powers that would otherwise just be stuck in a more general place, which is how the 12 page sheets (6 front and back) happen. This makes the process essentially the same for any of them, with where you put what being the only real difference. Stealthmarmot's advice pretty much covers things, but is a bit specific for the particular character. It's also only one of a few ways to do it - you eventually need to have everything, but there are a lot of different orders to put things together. I personally favor:
Concept
Alignment*
Class
Race*
Ability Scores
Feats
Skills
Equipment
Misc.

*Assuming that alignment isn't purged and the setting isn't human specific, both of which are preferred.

DiamondBreaker4
2017-02-25, 12:11 AM
Okay, I have everything except feats and things that are not equipment I need to get.

Does anyone know what feats are good for Rangers?

Oh and I'm using this build: http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/UA:Ranger_Variant:_Urban_Ranger

Calthropstu
2017-02-25, 02:29 AM
stealth marmon, that was awesome. I don't care if it was a copy paste or not.

DiamondBreaker4
2017-02-25, 03:22 AM
Here's my character sheet:

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1100110

Okay, is there anything else I need to fill out? Did I miss anything?

Kelb_Panthera
2017-02-25, 04:35 AM
You've still got 30 skill ranks to spend (you get 4X normal for your first HD) and you need a water skin or two.

Jay R
2017-02-25, 11:30 AM
Oh, :smalltongue: No, I didn't.

I have the .pdf version of it but all the pdf readers are just annoying as hell and make sifting through big books such as this annoying as hell.

I strongly urge you to buy the PHB. It's much easier to use if you can flip through it. If you go to a used bookstore, you can often pick one up for $15-25 (American). Here's a link (https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=&tn=Player%27s+Handbook+3.5&kn=&isbn=) to where you can buy one for about $27.

Stealth Marmot
2017-02-25, 02:45 PM
stealth marmon, that was awesome. I don't care if it was a copy paste or not.

It was not, I based it on a similar rant I remember from the old WOTC boards before, but this is what I did at my job when there was downtime.

DiamondBreaker4
2017-02-25, 04:14 PM
I think I got everything.

Kelb_Panthera
2017-02-25, 09:18 PM
I think I got everything.

Skill points still look wrong.

Try removing the check from the cross class column for your class skills then remember that you have 40 points and can't put more than 4 points in any one skill, resulting in 4 ranks for class skills and 2 for cross class skills.

Myth-weavers sheets do some of the work for you if you work with them instead of against them :smalltongue:

Angelmaker
2017-02-25, 09:24 PM
Right when i started reading it i knew we had a winner. But when i read Step 1: Conceptualizingationisms. I knew I was in love.

DiamondBreaker4
2017-02-27, 05:48 PM
Skill points still look wrong.

Try removing the check from the cross class column for your class skills then remember that you have 40 points and can't put more than 4 points in any one skill, resulting in 4 ranks for class skills and 2 for cross class skills.

Myth-weavers sheets do some of the work for you if you work with them instead of against them :smalltongue:

What are those and how do I use those?