PDA

View Full Version : Pali/Rogue

Rowanomicon
2007-07-21, 09:59 PM
I'd like some help coming up with a viable Paladin/Rogue build.
What's my best bet? Can I get the abilities and possibilities of the two classes to work well together? Anything I should look at or be aware of?

EDIT: Just thought I'd say that I don't see the Pali levels going (much, if at all) past 5.

reorith
2007-07-21, 10:16 PM
there are some things in the complete adventurer that could be relevant to your interests. i can't find my copy, so i can't tell you where they are :(

Kurobara
2007-07-21, 10:27 PM
Definitely check out the Shadowbane Inquisitor PrC and the Devoted Inquisitor feat in Complete Adventurer. Alternately, though it's not a paladin/rogue hybrid, you might want to check out the Gray Guard PrC in Complete Scoundrel, if only for flavor.

RTGoodman
2007-07-21, 10:31 PM
I also think there's a feat in Complete Adventurer or Complete Scoundrel called "Devoted Inquisitor" (I think) that is for multiclass paladin/rogues.

JellyPooga
2007-07-22, 06:15 AM
Well, first off you'll want a race with either Paladin or Rogue as a Favoured class to avoid Exp Penalties. That means Human, Half-Elf, Halfling, Aasimar or Tiefling are common options (my personal preference would be for Tiefling, but that's just me).

Then, due to Paladin multiclassing restrictions (I'd avoid the "Devoted Inquisitor" feat mentioned by other posters, it's a waste of time if you're only taking 4 or 5 levels of Pally), take a couple of levels of Rogue, for the x4 skill points at first level and Evasion. Then take all the Paladin levels you're going to take (I'd advise no more than 4), before either heading into a PrC or carrying on with Rogue.

Shadowbane Inquisitor is quite tasty for Rogue/Paladins and you should qualify immediately after taking your Paladin levels in the build I gave above (i.e. Rogue 2/Paladin 4). It depends on what sort of character you're after though. If you could give me a few more details, I might be able to help more.

Renegade Paladin
2007-07-22, 10:31 AM
There are any number of paladin/rogue builds you can do that can be effective. What you actually do depends on what you want your character to be like. If it's possible to reach CoDzilla-level effectiveness with that multiclass combo I'm unaware of it, but in the meantime, what do you want your character to be able to do? That's what informs the build, not the class combination alone.

This one's my personal favorite from my own characters. (http://thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=3127) He's an early build of mine, and not optimized at all in the manner of the typical standard of this board, but he's fun to play. I built him with an eye towards not getting hit, which is usually decried as the most useless thing you can do to a character in these environs, but he's not the party's primary tank. When I really need him to hit stuff, it's a simple matter to drop Combat Expertise and employ smiting, but usually he has enough ways to force an opponent to lose his Dex bonus that it hardly matters.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-22, 11:07 AM
You could also run a gestalt Rogadin for a level or two... that'll give you a good idea of how their features mesh together.