PDA

View Full Version : Don't know who I am. Creature Ideas

lynx502
2017-02-07, 10:36 AM
I was looking for creatures for a future campaign. I came across Demented One's titled Don't you know who I am. However I misread it at first as Don't know who I am.
It got me thinking. So I have a few ideas for creatures based on my misread.
Would anyone like to stat them out?

1. An amniasic creature. Literally does not know who it is because....

1a. It's an outsider whose race is being hunted. As a protection, as a child it's memory was wiped and it was put on this plane to hide from its attacker.
1b. It is part of its make-up. Not knowing who it is, is part of the growing stage. It slowly (or quickly) regains it memory (or knowledge).
1c. It had an accident at some point and is very angry about it.
1d. It had an accident at some point and is very needy.

2. It's a trick, and it knows who it is.
2a. It's trying to avoid something.
2b. It's how it softens up it's prey before attacking.

3. It causes forgefulness.
3a. It has a permanent forgetfullness field around it, and any creature within X feet must roll DC not forget.
3b. It has a forgetfullness magic, maybe a ray, that does it.
It may use this forgetfulness magic for offense or defense.

There you go. Anyone interested?

p.s. I use 3.5 but this is not necessarily for my campaign, so use any version you want.

Debihuman
2017-02-10, 04:38 AM
Use Amnesia Rules from Pathfinder in your 3.5 game (adjust accordingly for 3.5 so he retains combat skills and grapple for example rather than CMB and CMD that are used in Pathfinder.

Confusing, dream-like flashbacks and general disorientation are common symptoms of amnesia.

Amnesia
Type insanity; Save Will DC 20 Onset immediate Effect –4 penalty on Will saving throws and all skill checks; loss of memory (see below)

Description
A character suffering from amnesia cannot remember things; his name, his skills, and his past are all equal mysteries. He can build new memories, but any memories that existed before he became an amnesiac are suppressed.

Worse, the amnesiac loses all class abilities, feats, and skill ranks for as long as his amnesia lasts. He retains his base attack bonus, base saving throw bonuses, combat maneuver bonus, combat maneuver defense, total experience points, and hit dice (and hit points), but everything else is gone until the amnesia is cured. If a character gains a class level while suffering from amnesia, he may use any abilities gained by that class level normally. If the class level he gained was of a class he already possess levels in, he gains the abilities of a 1st-level character of that class, even though he is technically of a higher level in that class. If his amnesia is later cured, he regains all the full abilities of this class, including those gained from any levels taken while he was suffering from amnesia.

You can also steal from Finding Nemo and Finding Dory for Short-Term Memory Loss instead of full Amnesia. Characters with more than one language only speak one language (other languages will come back but only if spoken to the character). This is basically a temporary condition, usually brought on by trauma. The character forgets who current people are (names etc.) but this is gonna get annoying really fast. I do not recommend this for PCs at all.

From the memory lapse spell: You cause the target to forget what happened from the casting of the spell back to the beginning of its last turn. This may allow a retry on a Diplomacy, Intimidate, or opposed skill check, though only with respect to the target, not other creatures that may be present.

Implementing this could be tricky and time consuming for the DM and for the player. It is a lot of keeping track of things. What is remembered and what isn't. I don't recommend this for anything long-term other than for an NPC. If a PC gains this it should be only for a short while and I totally recommend discussing this with all the players ahead of time before giving this out to make sure everyone is onboard for a difficult role-playing session and maybe award extra XP for good roleplaying to everyone.

lynx502
2017-02-10, 04:57 AM
Thank you Debby,

I wasn't actually thinking of using this in my upcoming campaign, but as I read what you wrote, my mind began doing its thing.

I now have a couple of ideas of how to do it. I may even try to stat one out myself (as soon as I have the time) although I've never been good at that.

thanks again,
Lynx:smallbiggrin:

Debihuman
2017-02-10, 06:29 AM
Thank you Debby,

I wasn't actually thinking of using this in my upcoming campaign, but as I read what you wrote, my mind began doing its thing.

I now have a couple of ideas of how to do it. I may even try to stat one out myself (as soon as I have the time) although I've never been good at that.

thanks again,
Lynx:smallbiggrin:

You're much welcome and I can help with statting out monsters for 3.5. What CR are you looking for?

Also, this trait from Unearthed Arcana might be useful:

Inattentive
You are skilled at finishing simple tasks quickly, but you have a difficult time dealing with longer, more complex tasks.
Benefit: Choose a skill that allows complex skill checks. You gain a +1 bonus on simple skill checks made using the chosen skill.
Drawback: You take a -4 penalty on any complex skill checks made with the chosen skill.
Special: You can take this trait more than once. Its effects do not stack. Instead, choose a new eligible skill each time you select this trait.
This trait is available only if your campaign includes the complex skill checks variant.
Roleplaying Ideas: Characters with this trait might flit from subject to subject in conversation, or they might seem typical in most situations but leave most of their long-term projects perpetually unfinished.

And here is a Flaw your character could take:

Short Attention Span
You have little patience, causing you to have difficulty concentrating on repetitive tasks.
Effect: You suffer a -2 penalty on all skill checks made to retry an action that you previously failed. This penalty is cumulative, increasing by -2 for every failed attempt. In addition, you may not take 20 on any skill checks.

lynx502
2017-02-10, 02:00 PM
ok, Debby, I accept my own challenge and your assistance.

What I want for my campaign is an NPC who has had an accident and has acquired amnesia.

Level 10 will work well, I think, as the campaign will be fluid and I don't know at this point when the PC's will meet the NPC. At level 10, I could adjust easily enough up or down as needed.

Attributes: An accident would mean a lower constitution and dexterity, as they would be clumsy and easily hurt. Average strength and wisdom. That leaves a higher intellect and charisma.

I'm thinking an expert or nobleman.

And one more thing. I will have no humans, in this campaign. I need this on an unusual race, such as catfolk, humanoid lizards, humanoid plant. Oh I know, how about a treant?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?415967-The-Flesh-Alchemists-Convention-II-And-Now-For-Something-(not)-Completely-Different&p=19344622&viewfull=1#post19344622

I'm thinking olive

lynx502
2017-02-10, 09:35 PM
Treant, Olive with amnesia
Huge Plant
Hit Dice: 7d8+35 (66 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (-2 size, -1 Dex, +13 natural), touch 7, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+22
Attack: Slam +12 melee (2d6+9)
Full Attack: 2 slams +12 melee (2d6+9)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Animate trees, double damage against objects, spell-like abilities, slick, trample 2d6+13
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/slashing, low-light vision, plant traits, vulnerability to fire
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +1, Will +1
Abilities: Str 29, Dex 8, Con 21, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 12
Skills: none due to amnesia
Feats: none due to amnesia
Environment: Any warm land
Organization: Solitary or grove (4-7)
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 8-16 HD (Huge); 17-21 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: +5

Olive treants are generally shorter and squatter than other treants. They have broad canopies with silvery green that do not change with the seasons, but they blossom in the spring with feathery white flowers.

An olive treant’s legs fit together when closed to look like the gnarled and twisted trunk of a tree and a motionless treant is nearly indistinguishable from a tree. They move slowly and with an awkward gait.

An olive treant is about 25 feet tall, with a "trunk" about 2 feet in diameter. It weighs about 4,500 pounds.

Treants speak their own language, (plus Common and Sylvan. Most also can manage a smattering of just about all other humanoid tongues—at least enough to say "Get away from my trees!" *** cannot remember until spoken to them due to amnesia)

Combat

Olive treants prefer to watch potential foes carefully before attacking. They often charge suddenly from cover to trample the despoilers of groves. If sorely pressed, they animate trees as reinforcements.

Animate Trees (Sp): A olive treant can animate trees within 180 feet at will, controlling up to two trees at a time. It takes 1 full round for a normal tree to uproot itself. Thereafter it moves at a speed of 10 feet and fights as a treant in all respects. Animated trees lose their ability to move if the treant that animated them is incapacitated or moves out of range. The ability is otherwise similar to liveoak (caster level 12th). Animated trees have the same vulnerability to fire that a treant has.

Slick (Ex): Due to use of the grease spell-like ability (not to mention residue of oil from smashed olives), the area within 30-feet of an olive treant is slippery and hampers movement as difficult terrain. Creatures are limited to half their normal land speed. Treants and animated trees are unimpeded and can move normally.

Spell-Like Abilities (Su): At will—goodberry; 3/day—grease.

Double Damage against Objects (Ex): A treant or animated tree that makes a full attack against an object or structure deals double damage.

Trample (Ex): Reflex DC 22 half. The save DC is Strength-based.

Skills: *Treants have a +16 racial bonus on Hide checks made in forested areas.

Changes I have made
changed will saves to +1, -4 due to amnesia, and -2 due to loss of iron will
changed grapple from 26 to 24 due to loss of improved grapple
loss of all skills and feats
dropped CR by 1, just because it seemed logical

Question:
what about spell-like abilities? Would the treant retain these abilities, or would they also be forgotten?

p.s. I used your homebrew treant, if this is unacceptable, please let me know, and I'll delete and try again with a generic treant.

Debihuman
2017-02-11, 05:20 AM
Looks good to me. I think it is hilarious. Because amnesia seems to only affect class abilities, I'm going to say the Amnesiac needs to succeed on a Will save to use its own Special Abilities and Special Attacks that would be affected by memory loss. This also changes its tactics in combat. After looking at the Amnesia rules again, the Inattentive Flaw was just overkill on my part so I nixed it. The -8 to skill penalty was too harsh when those are combined. Without feats and needing to pass a Will save to use abilities noted I'd say CR is 6. LA is — because this is not suitable for a PC.

Treant, Olive, Amnesiac
Huge Plant
Hit Dice: 7d8+35 (66 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (-2 size, -1 Dex, +13 natural), touch 7, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+22
Attack: Slam +12 melee (2d6+9)
Full Attack: 2 slams +12 melee (2d6+9)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Animate trees, double damage against objects, spell-like abilities, slick, trample 2d6+13
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/slashing, low-light vision, plant traits, vulnerability to fire
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +1, Will +1
Abilities: Str 29, Dex 8, Con 21, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 12
Skills: None due to amnesia (-4 to use any skill, see below)*
Feats: None due to amnesia
Environment: Any warm land
Organization: Solitary or grove (4-7)
Challenge Rating: 6
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 8-16 HD (Huge); 17-21 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: —

Amnesiac olive treants are generally shorter and squatter than other treants. They have broad canopies with silvery green that do not change with the seasons, but they blossom in the spring with feathery white flowers.

An amnesiac olive treant’s legs fit together when closed to look like the gnarled and twisted trunk of a tree and a motionless treant is nearly indistinguishable from a tree. They move slowly and with an awkward gait.

An amnesiac olive treant is about 25 feet tall, with a "trunk" about 2 feet in diameter. It weighs about 4,500 pounds.

Treants speak their own language, (plus Common and Sylvan. Most also can manage a smattering of just about all other humanoid tongues—at least enough to say "Get away from my trees!" However, an amnesiac olive treant cannot remember its other languages until it hears them spoken first).

Combat

Unlike normal olive treants, amnesiac olive trees are much less likely to watch potential foes carefully before attacking. They often charge suddenly from cover to trample the despoilers of groves. Even if sorely pressed, they may forget to animate trees as reinforcements.

Animate Trees (Sp): A olive treant can animate trees within 180 feet at will, controlling up to two trees at a time. It takes 1 full round for a normal tree to uproot itself. Thereafter it moves at a speed of 10 feet and fights as a treant in all respects. Animated trees lose their ability to move if the treant that animated them is incapacitated or moves out of range. The ability is otherwise similar to liveoak (caster level 12th). Animated trees have the same vulnerability to fire that a treant has. An amnesiac olive treant must succeed on a Will save (DC 14) to use this ability.

Amnesia: Type insanity; Save Will DC 20 Onset immediate Effect –4 penalty on Will saving throws and all skill checks; loss of memory. A character suffering from amnesia cannot remember things; his name, his skills, and his past are all equal mysteries. He can build new memories, but any memories that existed before he became an amnesiac are suppressed. Worse, the amnesiac loses all class abilities, feats (including racial bonus feats), and skills ranks for as long as his amnesia lasts. In the case of creatures without class abilities but with special abilities and attacks that would be memory related, a creature has to succeed on a Will save (DC is 10 + 1/2 creature's HD + creature's charisma modifier) in order to use those abilities. Affected abilities are noted accordingly. If the amnesia is later cured, the afflicted creature regains all the full abilities of its race and class, including those gained from any levels taken while suffering from amnesia.

Double Damage against Objects (Ex): A treant or animated tree that makes a full attack against an object or structure deals double damage.

Slick (Ex): Due to use of the grease spell-like ability (not to mention residue of oil from smashed olives), the area within 30-feet of an amnesiac olive treant is slippery and hampers movement as difficult terrain. Creatures are limited to half their normal land speed. Treants and animated trees are unimpeded and can move normally.

Spell-Like Abilities (Su): At will—goodberry; 3/day—grease. An amnesiac olive treant must succeed on a Will save (DC 14) before it can use its spell-like abilities. If it fails, it cannot remember it has the ability.

Trample (Ex): Reflex DC 22 half. The save DC is Strength-based. An amnesiac olive treant must succeed on a Will save (DC 14) before it can use this ability.

Skills: *Treants have a +16 racial bonus on Hide checks made in forested areas. Due to its amnesia, the treant has no skills, but can Hide in a Forest at +3 (+16 racial, +0 ranks, -1 Dex, -8 Size, -4 amnesia) and it takes -4 penalty to use any skills.

Debby

lynx502
2017-02-11, 10:10 AM
Thank you Debby.

It's perfect, and thanks for making it look pretty too.:smallwink:

That was actually fun, so I think I'll try another.

A big bee whose poison causes amnesia. I have to work this weekend, so I'll have to wait a couple of days though.

Lynx

lynx502
2017-02-14, 04:56 AM
The last creature was a treant who acquired amnesia via an accident of some sort. On my list in the first post it would be 1b or 1c.
This creature would be 3b. A creature that causes amneia via magic. I decided to start with a bee and use the stinger as a viaduct for the forgetfullness.

The original bee is at http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19645107&postcount=1066
bhu's bumblebee

All I have done so far is to change the poison to amnesia, and add Mutant to the name. It needs a different name. What else do I need to do?

Mutant Bumblebee
Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 7d10+7 (45 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 100 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 16 (-1 Size, +1 Dex, +6 Natural), touch 10, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+14
Attack: Sting +9 melee (2d4+4 plus poison)
Full Attack: Sting +9 melee (2d4+4 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Bumble Poison
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Electric Sense, Scent, OMG IT'S SO FLUFFY!, Pheromones
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +3
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 15
Skills: Balance +2, Climb +7, Craft (any 1) +3, Knowledge (Geography) +3, Spot +5, Survival +4
Feats: Flyby Attack, Hover, Wingover
Environment: Any, except desert or aquatic (though mountains are preferred)
Organization: Solitary, buzz (2-5), or hive (11-20)
Challenge Rating: 6
Alignment: Usually Neutral
Advancement: 8-14 HD (Large); 15-21 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: ---

These are huge, fluffy bees. Not particularly aggressive, they often rely on their sheer adorableness to dissuade potential attackers. They make excellent watch bees though.

Bumble Poison (Su): Injury, Fortitude DC 14, initial and secondary damage. The save DC is Constitution-based. Initially it causes Forgetfulness, where the victim does what he was doing. If he makes the second save, he returns to normal with a vague sense of confusion. If the second save is failed, he aquires amnesia (See below). This effect lasts for 24 hours unless a cure such as neutrilize poison is used.

Amnesia: Effect –4 penalty on Will saving throws and all skill checks; loss of memory. A character suffering from amnesia cannot remember things; his name, his skills, and his past are all equal mysteries. He can build new memories, but any memories that existed before he became an amnesiac are suppressed.
Worse, the amnesiac loses all class abilities, feats, and skill ranks for as long as his amnesia lasts. He retains his base attack bonus, base saving throw bonuses, combat maneuver bonus, combat maneuver defense, total experience points, and hit dice (and hit points), but everything else is gone until the amnesia is cured.

Electric Sense (Ex): The Bumble Bee effectively has Blindsense in a 60 ft. radius. This is disrupted for the round anytime someone in this area of effect uses an attack doing electrical damage. If it has ongoing damage, the Blindsense is disrupted until the damage stops.

OMG IT'S SO FLUFFY! (Ex): Your cuteness is strong. Effectively you permanently have the benefits of a Sanctuary spell as an Exceptional Ability (Caster Level is equal to it's HD). Save DC is Cha Based (DC 15).

Pheromones (Ex): Bumble Bees also produce limited pheromones. Marking a creature or object with a Pheromone is a Swift Action, and they can be detected by any creature with Scent (though only Bumble Bees understand them). Bumble Bees can detect them at a range of 1 mile via Scent. They come in several varieties:

Communication: The Bee can leave any message up to 10 words. This is a race specific language, so only other Bumble Bees can understand. It can be used to identify hive members, orient their return to the hive, mark food sources that have already been exhausted, or mark meeting places for the hives bees to swarm to.

Skills: Giant bees have a +4 racial bonus on Climb, Craft, Knowledge (Geography), or Spot checks. They also have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks to orient themselves.

Combat: Bumbles do not generally initiate combat, but will sting and flee if attacked. Once their venom has disabled their attacker they may return to kick him or spit on him a few times, but generally you really have to piss them off for them to fight.