PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Thoughts on this Winged Marauder Alchemist?

MindTheGap97
2017-02-07, 12:30 PM
So, I rolled up a Winged Marauder Grenadier Alchemist yesterday, to sub for the death of my Hunter, we are currently at level 6 but will hit level 7 quite soon.

We use a 25 point-buy, here are the stats:

Str: 10
Dex: 18
Con: 14
Int: 19 (first +1 went here)
Wis: 10
Cha: 5

For feats I selected:

1st: Mounted Combat
3rd: Point-Blank Shot
5th: Extra Discovery: Infusion

My discoveries are:

2nd- Stink Bomb
2nd(b)- Precise Bombs
4th- Tumor Familiar
6th- Void Bomb (DM Ok'd this)

So, this character can deliver pretty good bombs (hitting at +10 for 3d6+5), and land some debuffs, has extracts to amp up versatility and in case none of that works he can still shoot a bow for a rather unimpressive amount of damage, he also has a mount that will soon grow large and scary, do you think it would be effective in a mid-op table?

Psyren
2017-02-07, 12:55 PM
May I ask why Mounted Combat? You have Infusion for much better options to protect your mount, and you could use the feat (you need more bombs, more discoveries, more archery etc.)

Albertus Magus
2017-02-07, 01:03 PM
You also don't qualify for Stink Bomb at 2nd level; you need Smoke bombs first.

MindTheGap97
2017-02-07, 01:24 PM
May I ask why Mounted Combat? You have Infusion for much better options to protect your mount, and you could use the feat (you need more bombs, more discoveries, more archery etc.)

Oh, I see, so I'll use the feat to get Stink Bomb at 3rd, after picking up Smoke Bomb at 2, thanks.

P.S. Keep the advice going ^^

Geddy2112
2017-02-07, 11:58 PM
Do you plan on infusing your arrows with bombs later on? You only get a standard action to do so. Or is the bow just for backup?

If you want to go the infuse ammo route, with 10 strength you are equally good off going with a light crossbow and you could go your martial weapon prof elsewhere.

I suppose the bow has more range and a better crit multiplier, but the crossbow has better crit range. Same damage. You could do a heavy crossbow for more damage.

For any alchemist, I love the preserve organs/mummify path. For even the most bombing of bombers, I have also found that having a ton of bomb discoveries is a waste. That said, you need frost bombs as they age well and stagger. Extended poison is a great discovery if you qualify. Spell knowledge can help bolster your spell list and worth looking into.

MindTheGap97
2017-02-08, 05:57 AM
I was considering Mummification, Preserve Organs is a little lame, but Mummification is quite good.

Geddy2112
2017-02-08, 10:35 AM
Yeah, preserve organs is not great but mummification makes it worth it. Once you are mummified, using the extract ablative barrier is DR/5 basically all day.

MindTheGap97
2017-02-08, 02:46 PM
I know that Frost Bombs are considered the best bombs for early game, but I can't envision a Goblin slinging them around, so I decided to avoid those, maybe Tanglefoot Bombs would be a good pick? They seem to carry quite a good amount of utility...

Lormador
2017-02-09, 10:33 AM
Every time I see this, I get the idea that you're paying the feat tax without getting the payoff (Precise Shot). Is Point Blank Shot really good enough on its own? Because your 7th level feat is spoken for, is it not, Improved Familiar?

Geddy2112
2017-02-09, 10:45 AM
Tanglefoot bombs are a solid option. Frost bombs are all around good, but if your campaign has a lot of cold resistant/immune creatures, constructs, or undead they are near useless. Unless something has freedom of movement or a similar effect(incorporeal) tanglefoot bags will do something. They shine against hordes of things, because you can entangle everything in your blast radius, and although the DC is low, they always have a 5% chance of grounding a flying creature(using nonmagical flight).

MindTheGap97
2017-02-09, 11:23 AM
Every time I see this, I get the idea that you're paying the feat tax without getting the payoff (Precise Shot). Is Point Blank Shot really good enough on its own? Because your 7th level feat is spoken for, is it not, Improved Familiar?

Actually our DM ruled that an Alchemist doesn't have access to an improved familiar (as they are not proper spellcasters), so at 7th I'm taking Rapid Shot and at 8th fast bombs.

Psyren
2017-02-09, 01:21 PM
Note that the Spell Knowledge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries/paizo---alchemist-discoveries/spell-knowledge) discovery does turn alchemists into spellcasters.