PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spirit Patron - Warlock

JumboWheat01
2017-02-07, 02:13 PM
Since the Favored Soul has become the domain of Sorcerers, I have thought of how to fit the Spirit Shaman into the same chassis. It was through discussion on another thread that the idea of the Spirit Shaman being fitted to the Warlock instead came to be, and the more I thought of it, the more I liked the idea of it. So here we are, putting my horrendous homebrewing skills to work and coming up with this;

The Spirit Patron
Your patron is routed in the material realm, particularly in the spirits of nature, life and death. These spirits are normally unknown and unseen by normal people, but you have studied ancient rites and tomes that have brought them to your attention, and you to theirs. The spirits tend to operate on a shared conscience, and deciphering their desires may be difficult, but as they are based in the material realm, not alien.

Expanded Spell List
The spirits add the following spells to your list of warlock spells, and can be chosen when you learn a warlock spell.

1st – Faerie Fire, Fog Cloud
2nd – Locate Object, Moonbeam
3rd – Speak with the Dead, Speak with Plants
4th – Confusion, Hallucinatory Terrain
5th – Antilife Shell, Hallow

Guidance of the Spirits
At the 1st level, the wisdom of the spirits allows you to use a bonus action to grant yourself or another creature you can see advantage on a roll of their choice. This effect lasts for one minute, and you can use it a number of times per day equal to your charisma modifier.

Anger of the Spirits
Starting at the 6th level, when you are affected by a spell, you can use your reaction and a spell slot to cast the same spell on the creature who just cast it. You do not need to provide the material components for the spell, and it counts as a warlock spell for this casting. You cannot use this feature on a spell with an innate level higher than you have spell slots for, if a spell's effects prevents you from using your reaction or forces you to use it as part of the effect.
Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Spiritual Cleansing
Starting at the 10th level, you gain resistance to acidic and necrotic damage, and you have advantage on all saving throws to remove ongoing effects.

Walk with the Spirits
Starting at the 14th level, you can enter a state between the ethereal and material planes. You become incorporeal, becoming resistant to all damage from non-magical attacks, and you can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. If you end your turn inside an object, you take 1d10 points of force damage that cannot be resisted. This effect lasts for a number of minutes equal to your charisma modifier. If it ends while you are in the same space as a creature or object, you are forced to the nearest unoccupied space, and take 5d10 points of force damage.
Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Suggestions and changes would be appreciated, I kinda want to make this work.

Edited with Version 2.

Deleted
2017-02-07, 02:45 PM
Since the Favored Soul has become the domain of Sorcerers, I have thought of how to fit the Spirit Shaman into the same chassis. It was through discussion on another thread that the idea of the Spirit Shaman being fitted to the Warlock instead came to be, and the more I thought of it, the more I liked the idea of it. So here we are, putting my horrendous homebrewing skills to work and coming up with this;

The Spirit Patron
Your patron is routed in the material realm, particularly in the spirits of nature, life and death. These spirits are normally unknown and unseen by normal people, but you have studied ancient rites and tomes that have brought them to your attention, and you to theirs. The spirits tend to operate on a shared conscience, and deciphering their desires may be difficult, but as they are based in the material realm, not alien.

Expanded Spell List
The spirits add the following spells to your list of warlock spells, and can be chosen when you learn a warlock spell.

Spirits' Guides
At the 1st level, you learn the Speak with Animals spell. It doesn't count against your spells known, but can only be cast as a ritual.

Spirit Shell
Starting at the 6th level, when you are damaged by magic, you can use your reaction to gain resistance to that damage type and hold onto that resistance until the start of your next turn.
Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Spirits' Protection
Starting at the 10th level, you are immune to possession, no matter the source, and cannot be placed under a Geas.

Guiding Force
Starting at the 14th level, you can call upon the spirits to assist you. You have advantage on a number of rolls equal to half your warlock level plus your charisma modifier, or until 10 minutes have passed, whatever occurs first.

I forgot to say earlier, I love the Warlock chassis for casters, I think divine vased classes fit with the Warlock better than arcane ones do.

I'm about to go get some reference material but...

Guiding Force is wonky. A lot more wonky than what 5e goes for.

Also seems a bit... Generic.

Hurl Through Hell is one of my favorite abilities because it is strong enough to warrant use AND the fluff is amazing. Yeah Guiding Force is strong, really strong, but I cant help but think it could come from anywhere.

Edit=====

Spirit Guardian has a very niche use. All the PHB warlocks have a more combat or exploratory (any location) use that can be used in almost any campaign. If you don't want it yo gove a combat use, you could go with something a bit more open ended. The GoO is fantastic because of all the potential uses it can have... From making someone think they are crazy, talking tactics before or during a fight, or as you are exploring the ruins or whatever and you don't want to give away your location.

Suggestion: Have an ability that grants you cover until the end of your next turn. Usable 1/short or long rest. 3/4th cover due to spirits guarding you.

Spirit Shell: Do you gain resistance to the triggering damage roll?

Suggestion: I would have it apply to the damage that triggered the reaction and have it last until the end of the the Warlock's next turn... This way you can be a bit flexible when your next movement or action.

Starting at the 6th level, when you are damaged by magic, you can use your reaction to take half damage. Additionally you have resistance to the damage type of the triggering spell or effect untill the end of your next turn.

Spirit Protection : I have no recommendations on this one, it's flavorful and quite nice.

Guiding Force: I know what you are going to and if you want to keep it similar... I would just make it work somwthing like foresight.

Though, you could make your own ability that allows you to possess creatures and use their actions. You have A LOT of defensive features so an offensive feature used as an action (no short or long rest needed... Much like the Goo thrall) would be really nice.

As an action you may send spirits into a creature. The creature must make a charisma saving throw or have their body taken over. On your turn you may use your actions to control the subject if you are on the same plane of existence.

As an action you may have the possessed creature.... Make a spell attack, make a weapon attack, x, y, and z.

As a bonus action you may have the possessed creature... Move, X, y, and Z

You may possess one creature at a time and you may use your bonus action to stop the possession. You may only possess a specific creature once per long rest. The creature gets an additional charisma save if damage is dealt to it or you are attempting to hurt a love one of the creature.

Ninjadeadbeard
2017-02-07, 02:52 PM
The Spirit Patron
Your patron is routed in the material realm, particularly in the spirits of nature, life and death.

Neat! I already like the flavor so far.

Expanded Spell List

The spells are strong flavor-wise. Don't know about actual power but the versatility would be cool to have. No problems here.

Spirits' Guides
At the 1st level, you learn the Speak with Animals spell. It doesn't count against your spells known, but can only be cast as a ritual.

Hm. So Spirit Warlock gets a single 1st level spell, as a ritual? Compare that to Fey or Fiend. They get an AOE charm/fear effect and free temporary HP, respectively. Seems very weak at the moment, even if you made the spell an At-Will. Speak with Animals just isn't that great.

Spirit Shell
Starting at the 6th level, when you are damaged by magic, you can use your reaction to gain resistance to that damage type and hold onto that resistance until the start of your next turn.

Ehhhh. Very underwhelming. At this level, Fey is getting free Misty Step + Invisibility, Fiend gets a 1d10 added to saves, and Old One gets Disadvantage to an enemy's attack (with a followup Advantaged attack).

What do the Spirits do? How do they operate? What fluff/powers are ascribed to them? Answer that and you might have a better idea of what can their servant do.

Spirits' Protection
Starting at the 10th level, you are immune to possession, no matter the source, and cannot be placed under a Geas.

Possession is so rare of an ability that I don't think it ever comes up. Same with Geas. Immunity to mind control is neat, but is also an 8th level spell. Also, again, the other Patrons get really nice stuff here. Fiend gets free Resistance, Fey gets Charm Immunity and can Counter-Charm, and Old One gets Psychic Resistance, reflective psychic damage, and can't be mind controlled. I am also seeing a pattern where Spirit's powers are all very passive.

Guiding Force
Starting at the 14th level, you can call upon the spirits to assist you. You have advantage on a number of rolls equal to half your warlock level plus your charisma modifier, or until 10 minutes have passed, whatever occurs first.

Odd. And not as good as other Patrons.

I think the base-flavor is very, very good, but it needs refinement. You need to clearly define what the Spirits are and How they operate to best guide you on what abilities they give.

JumboWheat01
2017-02-07, 04:09 PM
So I got the flavor but need to work on the mechanics. Will have to tinker with ideas and see what comes up for version 2.

JumboWheat01
2017-02-13, 12:59 PM
Attempting a version 2 now.

khadgar567
2017-02-13, 01:09 PM
The Spirit Patron

Expanded Spell List

Guidance of the Spirits
At the 1st level, the wisdom of the spirits allows you to use a bonus action to grant yourself or another creature you can see advantage on a roll of their choice. This effect lasts for one minute, and you can use it a number of times per day equal to your charisma modifier.

Anger of the Spirits
Starting at the 6th level, when you are affected by a spell, you can use your reaction and a spell slot to cast the same spell on the creature who just cast it. You do not need to provide the material components for the spell, and it counts as a warlock spell for this casting. You cannot use this feature on a spell with an innate level higher than you have spell slots for, if a spell's effects prevents you from using your reaction or forces you to use it as part of the effect.

Spiritual Cleansing
Starting at the 10th level, you gain resistance to acidic and necrotic damage, and you have advantage on all saving throws to remove ongoing effects.

Walk with the Spirits
Starting at the 14th level, you can enter a state between the ethereal and material planes. You become incorporeal, becoming resistant to all damage from non-magical attacks, and you can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. If you end your turn inside an object, you take 1d10 points of force damage that cannot be resisted. This effect lasts for a number of minutes equal to your charisma modifier. If it ends while you are in the same space as a creature or object, you are forced to the nearest unoccupied space, and take 5d10 points of force damage.

Edited with Version 2.
looks good but needs mask boon to finalize the voodoo priest spirit shaman. And anger the spirits is quite good