PDA

View Full Version : Arcane fusion and metamagic

ayvango
2017-02-07, 02:51 PM
The Arcane Fusion spell seems utterly broken to me. You could take a 4th level spell, say Orb of Force, apply bunch of metamagic on it: twin, repeat, maximize, empower, energy admixture, enervate, fell animate ... And it would still be the 4th level spell. And you could it only using 5th level slot. Rapid metamagic is required to keep casting time at 1 standard action.

On top of that you could apply sanctum spell to the Arcane Fusion itself and it would become 4th level spell, so you could use arcane fusion to launch another arcane fusion + any other spell of the 5th level with incredible load of metamagic atop of it.

What was editors thinking approving such unforgivable spell?

Segev
2017-02-07, 03:37 PM
The Arcane Fusion spell seems utterly broken to me. You could take a 4th level spell, say Orb of Force, apply bunch of metamagic on it: twin, repeat, maximize, empower, energy admixture, enervate, fell animate ... And it would still be the 4th level spell. And you could it only using 5th level slot. Rapid metamagic is required to keep casting time at 1 standard action.

On top of that you could apply sanctum spell to the Arcane Fusion itself and it would become 4th level spell, so you could use arcane fusion to launch another arcane fusion + any other spell of the 5th level with incredible load of metamagic atop of it.

I know you're not reading it right, because the 4th level spell with all those metamagics still costs a higher-level slot to cast.

Could you walk me through the logic you're applying? I might be able to help identify where you're misunderstanding is.

OldTrees1
2017-02-07, 03:44 PM

They were thinking you would read it as going by the level of slot needed to cast the spell.
A Sanctum Spell Arcane Fusion would be 5th and thus not eligible
A Maximized Fireball would be 6th and thus not eligible

flappeercraft
2017-02-07, 04:55 PM
I know you're not reading it right, because the 4th level spell with all those metamagics still costs a higher-level slot to cast.

Could you walk me through the logic you're applying? I might be able to help identify where you're misunderstanding is.

Well as per RAW/RAI metamagic does not increase the level of the spell only the slot and due to the wording of Arcane fusion "When you cast this spell, choose any 1st-level sorcerer spell you know and any 4th-level or lower sorcerer spell you know." you can as per RAW use it with a uber metamagicked Orb of Force or Sanctum Arcane Fusion as it says level not slot.

Douglas
2017-02-07, 05:38 PM
Complete Mage errata adds this to the spell:

If applying a metamagic feat to a spell, use the adjusted spell level and casting time for purposes of determining eligibility for Arcane Fusion.
In this context I'm almost certain the intended meaning of "adjusted spell level" is the spell slot level, so this exploit is completely shut down.

danielxcutter
2017-02-07, 09:36 PM
So if you cast an Empowered Arcane Fusion, are the individual spells both Empowered? I'm a little confused about how the spell works.

ayvango
2017-02-07, 10:36 PM
Well as per RAW/RAI metamagic does not increase the level of the spell only the slot and due to the wording of Arcane fusion "When you cast this spell, choose any 1st-level sorcerer spell you know and any 4th-level or lower sorcerer spell you know." you can as per RAW use it with a uber metamagicked Orb of Force or Sanctum Arcane Fusion as it says level not slot.

Actually I planned to cast Twin Sanctum Arcane Fusion inside initial Arcane Fusion. Then you could cast any spell not greater than 5th level from first application of fusion, and use second application to cast Twin Sanctum Arcane Fusion again.

But it is patched. Thanks to Douglas for mentioning it.