PDA

View Full Version : Forging the Chaos Breaker

Albonor
2017-02-07, 04:33 PM
Hi,

Shining Force was a very influential RPG for me as a teenager and I did put a few reference to it here and there in the last 20 years or so when building my campaign world. Hence, I once chose the fabled Chaos Breaker as the crown weapon, the badge of office for the biggest empire of my world, the Union.

Now, running a "prequel game" with new players, I decided that it would end with them banishing back ot the Abyss the earth of a Demon Prince long defeated but that began corrupting the land when it was uncovered two years ago. In order to do so, the players will eventually need to recover and reforge the shards of the weapon that was used to defeat it long ago, you guessed it (duh), the Chaos Breaker.

Now, it goes without saying that a sentient Frost Brand with specific powers against demons (Banishing Smite on a critical?) is a good start but it still feels a little...underwhelming? So I wanted to know if you thought that mixing it with a sunblade (fits the lore) would be overpowered or not.

Final stats:
1d10 frost OR slashing (the sword chooses according to the foe), 2d10 against fiends. I chose 1d10 rather than 1d8+1d6 because the point of 5e is supposed to be simplicity.
Grants fire resistance
Sheds light in "cold" mode (not a good thing since the party has an assassin/ranger built to surprise foes)
Can extinguish fires once an hour within 30'
Finesse property (if relevant)
Banishing Smite on a Crit on a fiend (which means that an incapacitated fiend is going byebye on a coup de grāce)
Ice storm 1/day

Would adding the +2 property from the sunblade make it TOO strong or an average Legendary item?

Also, if you have any ideas on how to improve/change the design...