PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 cleric converted to 5e

iceman10058
2017-02-07, 05:03 PM
My group is playing a 5e campaign in the same world as an older game, and we have the option to bring our old characters back from time to time. The issue is my cleric was mostly built out of BoED and wont convert over well. Does anyone have some homebrew out there that can help, mostly with all the vow feats from BoED?

Herobizkit
2017-02-08, 06:12 PM
In THEORY, the mechanics from 3x should work in 5e. The MATH of those mechanics, otoh...

5e's balance is based entirely on having as few extraneous bonuses as possible. The Big Six stat boosting items from 3x, for example, would be far and away too high for 'standard' 5e play. It is also set as feat-optional; 3e, by comparison, is largely powered by feats.

See what bonuses your vows give you... if they are a numerical increase, ignore it. If they give you any other benefit, keep it. If your powers gives you bonuses as magical weapons/armor, perhaps allow a +1 for each of the "break point" levels for class abilities in 5e: 6th, 11th, and (I think) 17th.

Assuming your DM allows feats, a Variant Human gets one at level 1... everyone else gets their first at level 4 and every 4 levels thereafter. There may be a way to connect your feats with these instances.

The 5e Monk chassis might be the best to use for swapping out class abilities for Vow benefits.

iceman10058
2017-02-08, 08:34 PM
A lot of ut i can deal with the way you described, but its the vow of poverty and the perks it gives that scale with level im having difficulty adjusting. Most of the misc bonuses i get the dm is just gonna give me advantage on rolls for, but that feat, that one is proving irritating to redesign to keep balanced.

SethoMarkus
2017-02-08, 09:06 PM
Perhaps remove VoP entirely? Roleplay it, but ignore any of the penalties/costs and benefits.

Or, maybe something like the Monk's "+Wis to AC" and maybe advantage on some saving throw?

JackPhoenix
2017-02-09, 12:57 AM
VoP's benefits exist to replace "mandatory" magic items you'll lack with the feat. Unlike 3e, your character can work just fine without any magical equipment in 5e, especially if he's a caster without a need for magic weapon. Yes, you'll be weaker than someone who uses magic equipment, but you won't be useless. So it's mostly roleplay limitation. The biggest issue with cleric is armor... I suggest taking one level of monk, or asking your GM if you can get monk's version of Unarmored Defense.

iceman10058
2017-02-09, 06:31 PM
Yeah we may end up doing something like that. He is just ending up sugnificantly weaker with the conversion and we havent even started on the spells. Bit of a bummer but it happens.

NecroDancer
2017-02-09, 06:37 PM
Give the cleric the monk's unarmed defense and the ability to cast magic weapon a few times per day innately (depending on level) if that is too strong than nerf the character a bit and work from there. Assuming your high enough level (10+) it shouldn't break the game.

If your character is way too strong or way to weak talk to your DM about bringing in a new character as a last resort.

Kane0
2017-02-09, 06:39 PM
If you show us the build and details it should be simple enough.