PDA

View Full Version : Monk: Kor vs. Aarakocra vs. Wood Elf

QUARE
2017-02-07, 06:12 PM
I need help deciding on a race for my monk. The flying seems REALLY nice, but less useful to a non-ranged combatant.

Bahamut7
2017-02-07, 06:15 PM
What is the story of your character and what is the setting like? Flying is nice, but if you do more dungeon delving, it may be nerfed for example.

Sigreid
2017-02-07, 06:22 PM
A member of our group threatened once a sun soul Aarakocra for flying and ranged attacks.

I think ghost wise halfling and wood elf are about the most optimal choices for a "normal" monk.

QUARE
2017-02-07, 06:23 PM
We are playing Storm King's Thunder

jaappleton
2017-02-07, 06:30 PM
I make it a habit to never play a race that has innate Flying. Why? You're going to overshadow other characters and likely piss off the DM.

Monks attack a lot. That means a lot of rolling... Which means immunity to 1s is a great thing.

Ghostwise. I like Ghostwise Shadow, personally. I mean, you can sneak around, teleport, and communicate telepathically. Plus you get to use your Ki to cast Darkvision on yourself. "But Ki is a precious resource!" Ok, so whenever you wake up in the morning, ask for everyone to wait an hour before setting out. Darkvision lasts eight hours. You should be good.

Vaz
2017-02-07, 06:34 PM
Sun Soul Monk gives you ranged attack methods if that is what you are unsure of. Alternatively, you can be a Spear Thrower with Sharpshooter taken at level 8, or level 4 if you are happy with Dex 16/or are rolling scores and get higher).

Sun Soul is short ranged, however, and I often find it lacks the Ki points and range to be an effective ranged blaster. Aarakocra have the ability to Fly to make better use of that short range without risking getting too close.

PloxBox
2017-02-09, 12:41 AM
Well, given my love of everything M:TG (And especially Zendikar) related, my choice would be Kor.

djreynolds
2017-02-09, 02:16 AM
Sun Soul Monk gives you ranged attack methods if that is what you are unsure of. Alternatively, you can be a Spear Thrower with Sharpshooter taken at level 8, or level 4 if you are happy with Dex 16/or are rolling scores and get higher).

Sun Soul is short ranged, however, and I often find it lacks the Ki points and range to be an effective ranged blaster. Aarakocra have the ability to Fly to make better use of that short range without risking getting too close.

That is cool, I like the idea of flying around and throwing spears or javelins and dive bombing even