PDA

View Full Version : Skill/stat dependent spells

Mendicant
2017-02-07, 09:04 PM
Not talking about truenaming here.

Has anyone ever played with incorporating skill checks or other universal stats into spells as a way to nerf and/or buff them?

For instance, you could allow a DC X stealth or hide check to retain invisibility after an attack or to extend its duration, making it more useful for sneaky characters. Or perhaps cure spells are at least partially keyed off of their target's total HP, making them more effective for a barbarian. Heal checks could be incorporated into healing magic more generally. Are there any variant systems that do anything like this? Can you think of obvious candidate spells?

I think if done right this could keep more skills relevant for longer, and could promote intraparty synergies that encourage casters to buff their beatsticks for reasons other than good manners: if the party monk's climb or balance skills let him move at more dramatic angles than Air Walk would normally allow, it makes him a bit more relevant.

Thurbane
2017-02-07, 09:53 PM
Some spells already have skill requirements...the various Lorecall spells for instance. Although that's not exactly what the OP is getting at.

Mendicant
2017-02-07, 10:37 PM
Actually, the Lorecall spells are pretty close to what I'm getting at, though I'm iffy on ranks vs. checks (take ten-able or not). Tying things to ranks favors characters specifically for having a lot of skill points per level, but that's not the only resource expenditure I'd want to reward. I don't want the wizard to be able to easily get the same mileage out of stealth/hide enhanced spells as the rogue who poured feats and GP into being sneaky.

ETA:
Obviously I'd also want the spells to not be personal range, also. That you can't cast "listening lorecall" on the team Ranger is the wrong kind of limitation.