PDA

View Full Version : Flash Defense

sir_argo
2017-02-08, 01:17 AM
My wizard (13th level) is going to try out a new tactic. A little background first though. Last time we played, during the big fight, the DM had everything come at me. Literally, the BBEG was targeting me with his spells, his minions were trying to get me, and he also triggering green slime to fall on me. I said that I take this as a compliment that I must be the most dangerous character if he feels the need to throw the whole kitchen sink at me. But I digress.

So I want to try a new tactic and see if anybody else has done this.

I already have the Mobile feat. My intent is to keep Longstrider up (total 50 speed). When combat starts, my one "defensive" spell will be Haste. That will double my speed to 100, plus I can use the extra action for a Dash, +100 more. total of 200 movement. My plan is to always be 90' out the door, around the corner, and out of sight. On my turns, I'll sprint in, cast a spell, and then Dash back out.

Do you think this will be a good tactic, or bad. If the later, why?

EvilAnagram
2017-02-08, 01:44 AM
...I love it. It is such a cheesy and infuriating response to unfair DM shenaniganery. Do it, and be proud of yourself for thinking of this, you beautiful, ridiculous human being.

Cespenar
2017-02-08, 01:59 AM
It's a natural and basic response, not even remotely cheesy in my opinion. Just remember that he or his minions can still pelt you with readied actions or area control spells, or counterspell.

EvilAnagram
2017-02-08, 02:11 AM
It's a natural and basic response, not even remotely cheesy in my opinion.

He's maximizing a specific trait to gain a major advantage in combat. That's essentially the definition of cheesy. It's not bad that it's cheesy, but it's cheesy.

JellyPooga
2017-02-08, 02:13 AM
Don't be surprised to find yourself either a) shut out the next time you try to re-enter, b) shut in the next time you try to leave, or c) a minion or four standing in your way holding pointy objects in a threatening manner. GM's worth their salt rarely just sit and take this kind of chicanery!

Cespenar
2017-02-08, 02:30 AM
He's maximizing a specific trait to gain a major advantage in combat. That's essentially the definition of cheesy. It's not bad that it's cheesy, but it's cheesy.

He's just using Longstrider and Haste. No build minmaxing, no rules wording shenanigans, nothing.

It's as natural as casting Stoneskin and Shield because you get attacked a lot. Just casting two spells from your repertoire.

SharkForce
2017-02-08, 02:32 AM
traditionally, this sort of thing is done with the assistance of a phantom steed. preferably summoned via ritual.

remember, while being ridden a mount can continue to take the dash, disengage and (i think?) dodge actions.

EvilAnagram
2017-02-08, 02:43 AM
traditionally, this sort of thing is done with the assistance of a phantom steed. preferably summoned via ritual.

remember, while being ridden a mount can continue to take the dash, disengage and (i think?) dodge actions.

The Arbiter of Pain rises from the Altar of the Damned, his back turned towards you.

"You are too late, heroes, for my plan has finally come to--" neigh

He turns around. "Is that a horse?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah. I call him Fluffy."

"You rode a horse through a twelve-story tower?"

"Well, I wasn't going to walk."

SharkForce
2017-02-08, 09:36 AM
The Arbiter of Pain rises from the Altar of the Damned, his back turned towards you.

"You are too late, heroes, for my plan has finally come to--" neigh

He turns around. "Is that a horse?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah. I call him Fluffy."

"You rode a horse through a twelve-story tower?"

"Well, I wasn't going to walk."

once upon a time, this particular kind of horse was able to run on swamps, oceans, destroyed bridges (or places where bridges could theoretically be built), and eventually even fly.

stairs don't really sound that unreasonable in comparison :P

Giant2005
2017-02-08, 09:57 AM
It is certainly within the rules, but still very dangerous. You might get away with it once or twice, but after that the DM will start to use Readied Actions, and considering you are Concentrating on Haste, those Readied Actions could prove to be quite disastrous for you.

I'd also question whether or not it is actually worth doing. To me it sounds like you are annoyed with your DM and want to get a little bit of revenge by one-upping him. That is reasonable enough, but it isn't really working - the tactic hinders you and your own team more than it does the enemies.
You are essentially using your first action in combat (and more importantly your concentration) in a really inefficient manner. It isn't harming your enemy, nor helping your team - the damage you may avoid is still being inflicted, it is just one of your allies taking the hit. You are essentially using resources to no positive effect, but the resources consumed are resources your enemies no longer have to be concerned with, so it does benefit them.

doc225
2017-02-08, 10:07 AM
If they're all readying actions to attack this one wizard, the rest of the party can mop them up. I don't see why this wouldn't work for at least a few fights, and get the point across to the DM that focusing fire on just one party member isn't always fair or fun.

solidork
2017-02-08, 10:07 AM
This seems like a good place to point out that the 'push' mode of Bigby's Hand is kind of ridiculous if you use it on yourself.

JellyPooga
2017-02-08, 10:25 AM
If they're all readying actions to attack this one wizard, the rest of the party can mop them up. I don't see why this wouldn't work for at least a few fights, and get the point across to the DM that focusing fire on just one party member isn't always fair or fun.

One minion spends his "object interaction" to close the door. If you want to go whole hog, he spends an action locking it. Running in and out of a room is a stupid idea. In open space, yeah, do your speed demon thing, but in an interior setting, it's just daft. If you want to "not be there" half the time...cast Blink.

Toadkiller
2017-02-08, 10:42 AM
I would agree that it would only work for one cycle, if that. Plus it takes a bunch of resources to pull off. Disguise self if the bad guys are attacking you because your reputation proceeds you might work.

RulesJD
2017-02-08, 12:43 PM
BBEG's magical assistant Ready Action -> Dispel Magic.

Haste goes poof, so you're stunned for a round in the door.

gfishfunk
2017-02-08, 12:52 PM
I recommend Disguise Self as well. Try disguising yourself as an overweight archer in plate mail. Your objective is to look pitiful and useless.

If that does not work, nothing works. What I mean is that if the DM is targeting you because the NPCs perceive that you are the biggest threat, he won't do that. IF your DM still goes after you, no matter what you do he is going to go after you: haste and run, whatever.

Toadkiller
2017-02-08, 06:34 PM
Exactly- if they attack you and only you "just because" that's an out of character conversation.

Asmotherion
2017-02-08, 07:15 PM
I love it. It's tactical, using game mechanic synergy and you're making it work. Use your super-mobility to hide behind objects for full cover and flash in-out. Worst case scenario, use it to hide behind one of your party members (the tank is your go-to) for 3/4 cover and +5 AC.

You can also get yourself Spell Sniper, hit 'em from 240 feet away, and then wait. By the time the melees will come to you, run away in the oposit direction, and have them run aroun like bafoons. At the same time, do the above trick for full cover, and become virtually unvulnerable.

Deleted
2017-02-08, 08:12 PM
My wizard (13th level) is going to try out a new tactic. A little background first though. Last time we played, during the big fight, the DM had everything come at me. Literally, the BBEG was targeting me with his spells, his minions were trying to get me, and he also triggering green slime to fall on me. I said that I take this as a compliment that I must be the most dangerous character if he feels the need to throw the whole kitchen sink at me. But I digress.

So I want to try a new tactic and see if anybody else has done this.

I already have the Mobile feat. My intent is to keep Longstrider up (total 50 speed). When combat starts, my one "defensive" spell will be Haste. That will double my speed to 100, plus I can use the extra action for a Dash, +100 more. total of 200 movement. My plan is to always be 90' out the door, around the corner, and out of sight. On my turns, I'll sprint in, cast a spell, and then Dash back out.

Do you think this will be a good tactic, or bad. If the later, why?

Keep a teleport spell handy, you are going to get grappled so fast...

Or a minion is going to be waiting with a Held Action to shut the door right as you are at the frame... That's at least 1d6 per 10' you was sprinting :P

Gastronomie
2017-02-08, 08:16 PM
I think it's a wonderful idea. But, if I were the DM, while I'd let it shine in most fights, I will, in some encounters, have the enemies have plans to counter it, or have the environment be unsuitable for that technique.

MrStabby
2017-02-08, 08:23 PM
I think I would just stick with longstrider.

Whilst my experience might be different, I find that most combat settings are not that open. With longstrider you should still be able to cast a spell and walk out of most rooms. Once round the corner enemies will still need a dash action to reach you (most of the time) so at a pretty low cost you are either having a great defensive spell or you are wasting enemy actions.

If they ready dispel magic or other abilities they are probably being pretty inefficient in combat so the threat of you is pulling your weight.

Mellack
2017-02-08, 09:42 PM
Usually readied actions are worse than taking actions on their turn, so that in itself is a win. It is also better if their caster readies a dispel magic. Since readied spells take concentration, that spell can be disrupted before it goes off (unless the runner happens to be next on initiative) and it eliminates them being able to hold another concentration spell. Much better than if they did a damaging spell on the rest of the party.

Belac93
2017-02-09, 12:45 AM
If you do this, have counterspell and misty step as prepared spells for the day. He'll still be able to hit you with readied actions, but at least you can counter the spells and teleport out of the grapples. Maybe put a point or two into Constitution, and have the cleric on standbuy.

Remember, if the DM is just focusing on you, make yourself the most annoying thing in the world to focus on. Wall of stone, shield, gust of wind, anything. If you do nothing in combat but be invincible, then he will either give up attacking you (in which case revert to your previous tactics), or continue, in which case you're drawing fire away from your allies, making their jobs easier.

Either way, it's win-win for you. Just make sure someone has a scroll of raise dead.

Kane0
2017-02-09, 01:15 AM
With speed like that you can do some wicked strafing runs too.
Hell if you were feeling confident you could really abuse your mobile feat and just run past people smackingg them with a staff. Call it wizard hockey. Or wizard polo if you're going the phantom steed route.