PDA

View Full Version : Hellbred and Incarnum

Efrate
2017-02-08, 07:31 AM
Is it a reasonable extension of hellbreds evil exception to shape and bind evil soulmeld as an incarnate of another alignment? I am playing an incanate soon, and I like the idea of being LN and dipping goes in both pools to give me a variety and to strive for some type of balance on a cosmic scale. It seems like a reasonable jump, even though in conflicts a bit with incarnates being scions of their one ideal. If I was dming i would allow it. My dm is very laid back and im sure i can get it okayed, but does it seem reasonble to anyone else or just me?

PrismCat21
2017-02-08, 08:24 AM
It seems reasonable to me. It makes since with the fluff surrounding Hellbred.
I'd be wary of focusing too much on the evil soulmelds though. Necrocarnum is fun, but you are striving to prove how 'not evil' you are anymore. :)

weckar
2017-02-08, 08:36 AM
For LN it seems fine as there are no lawful-exclusive melds anyway. it'd be kind of OP if you could have access to both the good and evil pools though...

Grod_The_Giant
2017-02-08, 09:00 AM
Sure; alignment restrictions are generally bunk anyway. There are barely any alignment-restricted melds to begin with, and, with the exception of Necrocarnum Circlet and maybe Lammasu Mantle, they're not very good.

Red Fel
2017-02-08, 09:22 AM
Is it a reasonable extension of hellbreds evil exception to shape and bind evil soulmeld as an incarnate of another alignment? I am playing an incanate soon, and I like the idea of being LN and dipping goes in both pools to give me a variety and to strive for some type of balance on a cosmic scale. It seems like a reasonable jump, even though in conflicts a bit with incarnates being scions of their one ideal. If I was dming i would allow it. My dm is very laid back and im sure i can get it okayed, but does it seem reasonble to anyone else or just me?

By RAW, I would say no, because the language of the Evil Exception ability exclusively calls out "spells with the evil descriptor" irrespective of alignment restrictions, and evil magic items without suffering negative levels, and soulmelds are neither spells nor magic items.

That said, by RAI, I'd allow it. It's precisely in line with what appears to be the intended fluff. And the fact is that, in terms of soulmelds with alignment tags, Law and Chaos seem to really get the short end of the stick; giving you access to Evil-tagged soulmelds seems reasonable.

Particle_Man
2017-02-08, 02:33 PM
Isn't there a feat in MIC that allows access to the necrocarnum soulmelds without requiring one to be evil?

zergling.exe
2017-02-08, 02:37 PM
Isn't there a feat in MIC that allows access to the necrocarnum soulmelds without requiring one to be evil?

The Magic Item Compendium (MIC) has no feats in it. It is solely magic items.

Particle_Man
2017-02-08, 05:48 PM
Sorry, I got the acronym wrong. I meant a feat in Magic of Incarnum that allows non-evil people to take necrocarnate soulmeds. Ah yes, it is Necrocarnum Acolyte. It requires one to be non-good, and it only applies to necrocarnum soulmelds, not other evil soulmelds.

Troacctid
2017-02-08, 06:07 PM
The Magic Item Compendium (MIC) has no feats in it. It is solely magic items.
That's not true. There are two feats in it. Page 222.

zergling.exe
2017-02-08, 10:57 PM
That's not true. There are two feats in it. Page 222.

Huh, so there are. I've never looked at that page to be honest.