PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Lycan Race

Nimlouth
2017-02-08, 01:03 PM
Greetings and salutations!

So here I go posting again some of my homebrew stuff for feedback...

And this time around I have Lycans or wolf men.

I designed these for my unique campaign setting as a beast replacement for half orcs (since orcs are extintc there) tooking heavy influences from the WoW's worgen race.

I tried to keep this pretty simple, but i feel like subraces should be a thing for the Lycan. IDK, you guys please tell me :D

Lycan Traits
Ability Score Incrase. Your Strength score increases by 2 and your Constitution increases by 1.

Age. A Lycan reachs adulthood at the age of 14 and can live up to 80 years.

Alignment. Lycans are instinct driven, animalistic creatures that behave more like dogs or wolves rather than human. Despite being mindlessly loyal to their families and clans, Lycans tend to be True Neutral creatures, better described as intelligent animals than primal humanoids.

Size. Lycans are taller than the average human, reaching a bit more than 6ft. with relative ease. Your Size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30ft. As a bonus action, you can put your hands on the floor (Given that both of them are free) and run like a
dog, increasing your walking speed to 40ft.

Darkvision. You have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Languages. You can read, write and speak Common and Sylvan. Lycan’s speech is full of “bark and growl”-ish sounds that replace many words, making an entire dialect of Common on its own that most Lycans use even in Human lands.

Grasp of the Undying. When you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

Moon’s Blessing. You are proficient with the Survival skill. Additionally, you have advantage in any Perception or Survival (Wisdom) check made to track a living creature as long as you have a clear view of the moon (Even if it is not full).

Its Bite is worse than its Bark!. You are proficient with your Claw (Slashing) and Bite (Piercing) attacks, both deal 1d4 damage.
Your Claws have the finesse and light properties and can only be used with a free hand for each.
Your Bite attack also uses finesse and whenever you hit an enemy with it, you can try to grapple that same enemy as a bonus action with your teeth… Because your a bad(ass) dog!

JUST FEED ME! let me know what you honestly think about it... Also sorry for my english ;'d

Phantos_Argent
2017-02-08, 01:42 PM
I like it, but here are my two cents. Two terrible criticizing cents.

The race has a bit too much going for it right off the bat. When making races for 5th, a good marker to use is are the special abilities this race gains more than a standard feat. Natural attacks, darkvision, perception bonuses, increased movement speed, and the ability to ignore a killing attack are just too much going for it. I know the idea is to replicate some of the better known werewolf features, but it would probably be a better idea to split it up into sub-races.

For example, one sub-race could have the Constitution bonus, natural attacks, and undying, being the more violent lycan

While another could have a Dexterity bonus instead of Constitution, increased movement speed (with the all fours action) and the perception bonus, being a scout or hunter.

You could even take it a step further and create features for a new one that has a Wisdom bonus, ability to speak with other animals, and maybe cast a Druid cantrip.

*Edit*. I would also change up the Perception and just make it focused on Survival. Perception is easily the best skill in 5e and being allowed to use it instead of Survival to track, which is one the biggest parts about Survival, makes it even stronger.

Nimlouth
2017-02-08, 01:52 PM
Got it ;). When I make a race for 5e i always compare it with elves and dwarves, which IMO also have crap tons of stuff going on xD.

I see how sub-racing will let me include more stuff without giving too much.

Also i agree on the survival checks instead of perception.

TY :)

PotatoGolem
2017-02-09, 10:20 AM
Seems fine, maybe a bit weak. The speed bonus will be useless for anyone except monks, who have no need for the claw/bite and don't use strength. The claw/bite in general is mostly a ribbon- any class that does melee will have better weapons