PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Stone Sorcerer

Asmotherion
2017-02-08, 01:59 PM
Wile my first look at Stone Sorsery was "Imbalanced as hell" and "What the hell were they thinking", I decided to embrace the OPness wile it lasts, and have fun looming at the broken builds people will make.

First thing that came to my mind when I did that, was a tiefling variant (wings) Stone Sorcerer 15 Undying Light Warlock 3 Paladin 2.

Build as Sorcerer 1/Warlock 2/Sorcerer 2/Warlock 1/Sorcerer 2/Paladin 2/Sorcerer X.

He can Dump Dexterity (And this is something only heavy armored classes can usually do) in favor of a higher Constitution He only needs a 13 on STR to quallify for Paladin, and everything else is going to Cha and then Con.

He is proficient with Con saves, Has a decent+ Con score (That, after Cha will probably also end up a 20) and is the perfect guy to hold a Hex going all day long. He strarts his career as a regular Eldritch Blaster, though much more able to endure damage. Undying Light to apply cha to Green Flame Blade damage latter on. At level 6, he takes Pact of the Tome for Shilellagh and Green Flame Blade, and starts being as good in melee as in ranged combat. His AC is on par with a fighter, and he even gets better DR than a Heavy Armor Master (I think he can apply stone aegis to self). He then gets a bit of spell slot and sorcery point progression to Quicken his Eldritch Blasts and Green Flame Blade and finally takes a couple Pal Levels for Divine Smite. From then on, he may roll with a shield and a polearm to get Dueling FS or dual wielding the polarm and take the GWF FS. By level 14 (stone edge) you aply half your level to spells, Aka +7 damage per hit with GFB, +14 when you quicken it. If you wish, you can substitute this for 2 fighter levels to nova with action surge once. Elemental Weapon can substitute your Hex at the cost of longer duration

Your DPT at level 20 is:
-6d4+10 Fire Damage (elemental weapon+Undying Light's Radiant Soul)
-1d8+14 bludgeoning magical damage (Quarterstaff+Shillelagh+Dueling FS)
-6d8+10 Fire Damage (Green Flame Blade+ Radiant Soul)
-14 Force Damage (Stone Edge)
-10d8 Radiant damage (Divine Smite)

Average: 139 Nova damage. Double that for one turn per day if a fighter and action surge.

What do you think of this build? What is your take on stone sorcery? Ignore it or enjoy it wile it lasts? Do you have other builds in mind?

MisterSocrates
2017-02-08, 03:54 PM
I think this sums up the major tricks, though I expect we'll get a new set of Warlock pacts soon and they'll probably nerf Undying Light. CHA to Fire and Radiant at L1 is too much.

I'd probably opt for Paladin 2/ Warlock 4 / Sorcerer 14, since none of the 8th level spells are -that- amazing compared to being able to max both your CON (AC and HP) and your CHA (Attack, Damage, Spells, all the things). You're also the ultimate hermit. Pick up any old stick and a shamrock leaf, garb yourself in stone, and you're a powerhouse.

If you're using a Shield+Quarterstaff combo, Warcaster becomes pretty optional since you can use your Reaction on Aegis teleport attacks. VHuman could still take it; PAM is an option, but it competes with Quickened Spells for your Bonus Action. There are always the classics like Alert or Lucky, too. For the other ASIs I'd personally go CHA 18 > CON 18 > CHA 20 > CON 20. Nice and straightforward. Tiefling starts CHA 17 CON 15 so the first ASI would just be a split increase instead to get CHA 18 CON 16.

Overall it's a very strong combo and stacks up favorably against PLD 6 / SOR 14. Trade out CHA to saves and Extra Attack (which doesn't work with your level 14 SOR feature anyways) in exchange for less MAD.

EDIT: While looking over the races for this I found something hilarious. Instead of Winged Tiefling, go with Devil's Tongue. You can now cast Vicious Mockery and add your Stone's Edge damage to it. Who needs wings when your insults hit targets for 4d4+7 damage? :smallbiggrin:

LudicSavant
2017-02-10, 02:54 PM
Wile my first look at Stone Sorsery was "Imbalanced as hell" and "What the hell were they thinking", I decided to embrace the OPness wile it lasts, and have fun looming at the broken builds people will make.

First thing that came to my mind when I did that, was a tiefling variant (wings) Stone Sorcerer 15 Undying Light Warlock 3 Paladin 2.

Build as Sorcerer 1/Warlock 2/Sorcerer 2/Warlock 1/Sorcerer 2/Paladin 2/Sorcerer X.

He can Dump Dexterity (And this is something only heavy armored classes can usually do) in favor of a higher Constitution He only needs a 13 on STR to quallify for Paladin, and everything else is going to Cha and then Con.

He is proficient with Con saves, Has a decent+ Con score (That, after Cha will probably also end up a 20) and is the perfect guy to hold a Hex going all day long. He strarts his career as a regular Eldritch Blaster, though much more able to endure damage. Undying Light to apply cha to Green Flame Blade damage latter on. At level 6, he takes Pact of the Tome for Shilellagh and Green Flame Blade, and starts being as good in melee as in ranged combat. His AC is on par with a fighter, and he even gets better DR than a Heavy Armor Master (I think he can apply stone aegis to self). He then gets a bit of spell slot and sorcery point progression to Quicken his Eldritch Blasts and Green Flame Blade and finally takes a couple Pal Levels for Divine Smite. From then on, he may roll with a shield and a polearm to get Dueling FS or dual wielding the polarm and take the GWF FS. By level 14 (stone edge) you aply half your level to spells, Aka +7 damage per hit with GFB, +14 when you quicken it. If you wish, you can substitute this for 2 fighter levels to nova with action surge once. Elemental Weapon can substitute your Hex at the cost of longer duration

Your DPT at level 20 is:

Average: 139 Nova damage. Double that for one turn per day if a fighter and action surge.

What do you think of this build? What is your take on stone sorcery? Ignore it or enjoy it wile it lasts? Do you have other builds in mind?

Is 139 nova damage supposed to be a lot at level 20? :smallconfused:

Maxilian
2017-02-10, 03:02 PM
I don't get why you say the Stone Sorcerer is OP, its not like you even got that much damage, i mean... you're a Lvl 20, i'm pretty sure there are so many people that can do more

Asmotherion
2017-02-10, 03:25 PM
Is 139 nova damage supposed to be a lot at level 20? :smallconfused:

This is an all around build. With an action surge, this damage is 278.

139 is good nova damage with resources to stay for some turns.

Average consistant DPT is around 60 when using no resources for most builds.

A pure Sorcerer with no Elemental weapon and just 2 levels of paladin for Smites deals 10d8 radiant, 6d8+10 fire and 2d8 bludgeoning damage, adding twice strength mod (instead of charisma).

A pure Paladin will never have the spell slots to smite as consistantly as this build, meaning he may do 12d8 radiant, but (as he can't quicken spell) will only do 3d8 fire damage with GFB, and only if he uses a feat (magic initiate for example) to get it ultimately, that's 1d8 less, and far less consistant.

The proposed build is excelent in melee, ranged and as a tank. It's the ultimate combat mage, and does good nova damage as a plus.

I don't know what you have in mind as good nova damage, but even Two Weapon Fighters and Crossbow Expert+Sharpshooter Fighters are in this bracket, and they are known for their nova damage.

Crossbow Expert: 5d6+75= 92 average DPT, 183 Nova Average with action Surge

Two Weapon Fighter (with dual wielder feat and magic initiate for Hex): 8d8+8d6+40= 104 av DPT, 208 Nova AS

However, the most important thing in Stone Sorcerer is his ASI economy. His AC is Con Based, an ability score he already wants High, both for HP and Concentration saves. He has Con save proficiency too. He can dump Dex in favor of Con, and still be awesome.

His Damage Reduction is also amazing, as well as his access to Paladin spells.

Vogonjeltz
2017-02-11, 04:41 AM

Your DPT at level 20 is:

Isn't this limited to no more than 7 turns per day because of the requirement to use Quicken? Also, Divine Smite of that strength happens no more than 8 times per day, so the drop in damage is something like....92 points? Leaving you with the damage of 47 per turn.

Seems like a big drop.

Drackolus
2017-02-11, 07:56 AM
You can quicken more by converting spell slots to sorcery points.