PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help with Urban Druid/Monk Build

key777
2017-02-08, 02:45 PM
So I'm playing in a really role play intensive strict game as an Urban Druid, i'm 30xp away from hitting level 3 and cross classing into Monk. As an Urban Druid I feel really useless, everyone in our party is vital except for me, I don't do damage, my supportive abilities are really unimpressive, and all I really offer is heals post combat. We have a cleric who does more damage than me. In our campaign a couple characters died sending my character into a bout of grief and confusion and my DM told me that was causing me to blight and my animal companion ran away. The animals connection to me isn't severed but 12 sessions later I have yet to get my animal back. It really feels like i'm playing half a character. My character has defaulted to grappling on a few occasions in the attempt to control the battlefield and offer some value to the team. So I like the idea of going hard in battle control via grappling/Lockdown. Any advice on how I should proceed would be appreciated. It's quite possible I've just misunderstood the responsibilities of the Urban Druid but I can't seem to cut out my own play style and feel comfortable, seems like anything I do someone else in our party can do it better and easier. I know cross-classing into a monk may not be preferred but my hearts set on it and once I get my Urban level to 3 Ill have a lot of nice self buff options so I guess my end build would be akin to a gish.

eggynack
2017-02-08, 03:01 PM
First thing of import is your spell list. Charm person is probably your best first, followed by maybe obscuring mist. You should probably just keep urban druiding, cause second level spells offer some decent stuff, like spider climb, suggestion, and rope trick. Also, zeroth level spells aren't nothing. Cure minor wounds, create water, and detect magic are all solid. As for the animal companion, I don't know what caused you to lose it, but you can get a new one within 24 hours if you ever have time off. Go with a riding dog and you should be doing very well for yourself. The quality of your companion list reduces quite a bit relative to standard druids after that, but for that one shining moment you're doing something pretty much normal druid style. You can definitely do better than healing all the time. Also, it feels like the utility of monk is diminished a lot by the fact that you're keyed to charisma instead of wisdom.