PDA

View Full Version : 24 Hour Dungeons And Dragons marathon as a fundraiser.

Jgosse
2017-02-08, 04:34 PM
I am part of the planing committee for a convention in St.john's Newfoundland. On February 25th we are going to run a 24 hour plus game. I am looking for ideas on how to get people interested and promote the event. At the moment I am thinking of some sort of meet the players survey where we answer a bunch of questions about our selves and the game.
First character :
Current character :
Favourite character :
Favourite class:
Favourite system :
Favourite Race :

Any other questions or other ideas to help promote the event?

Phoenixguard09
2017-02-08, 10:13 PM
I'd speak to as many gaming facebook pages and other social media platforms regarding mentions and advertising. I know Exilian would throw you on their page straight away.

Do up an event log? Stream it perhaps and promote that? A series of podcasts with the prep? I don't really know.

I sure hope the GM has a lot of material prepared. 24 hours is a long time.

Kane0
2017-02-09, 12:43 AM
DM hotseat. Have a central theme/location/premise and a list of people that out their names down to DM. Choose one from a hat and they get started for a couple hours or until they are tapped and draw the next dm. Can even work if you have enough interest for multiple groups as people can chop and change tables as necessary.
Helps if everyone is using the same system but hey, FLAILSNAILS is a thing.

Jgosse
2017-02-09, 05:43 AM
DM hotseat. Have a central theme/location/premise and a list of people that out their names down to DM. Choose one from a hat and they get started for a couple hours or until they are tapped and draw the next dm. Can even work if you have enough interest for multiple groups as people can chop and change tables as necessary.
Helps if everyone is using the same system but hey, FLAILSNAILS is a thing.

We only have a small group, enough for 1 game so there is no tapping out.

Jgosse
2017-02-09, 05:53 AM
I'd speak to as many gaming facebook pages and other social media platforms regarding mentions and advertising. I know Exilian would throw you on their page straight away.

Do up an event log? Stream it perhaps and promote that? A series of podcasts with the prep? I don't really know.

I sure hope the GM has a lot of material prepared. 24 hours is a long time.

I will look into Exilian, and I have been promoting on all local geeky face book groups. Though I should look into expanding into non local stuff. I am not familiar with a event log and I personally have no access to a pod cast though I do know a youtuber with a small following.

The Glyphstone
2017-02-09, 11:08 AM
Send a letter/email to your energy drink manufacturer of choice. Ask for a case of free samples in exchange for counting them as an official sponsor of your charity event.

Kane0
2017-02-10, 01:17 AM
We only have a small group, enough for 1 game so there is no tapping out.

Actually works very well with a single group. If going the megadungeon route everyone gets one layer (1-3 hours of play), and everyone is on the same page for game system, setting and details like level/loot. Its an especially good time to get the people who dont usually DM or havent DMd before to have a go, everyone gets a cjance to weave a oneshot in and if they get stuck they swap out with someone else.
Only thing to keep in mind is the PC rotation, backups or character swapping is recommended for smoothness of play in the event of character death.

Edit: its also potentially more entertaining to watch since swapping out DMs means different playstyles and moods of play, and theres plenty of colorful characters that can come and go quickly like a oneshot.

WbtE
2017-02-11, 10:10 AM
If you're going to try getting social media (especially reddit's rpg subs) interested, ask people for their gaming marathon stories.