PDA

View Full Version : Player Help New to 3.5 and looking for a solid Archer build

Edgerunner
2017-02-08, 05:07 PM
OK so I am very new to 3.5. I have played D&D, AD&D, some pathfinder and a bunch of 5E.

Looking for a solid Archer build that starts @ lvl 1. I am going Archer because it feels like a damned useful ability in combat but I want some OOC abilities as well.

BTW links to any character generators, that will help me figure out bonuses without scouring books, would be greatly appreciated.

Troacctid
2017-02-08, 05:11 PM
I recommend a simple Swift Hunter build, i.e. a multiclass Scout/Ranger.

Start with Human Scout 1, feats are Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot.

Edgerunner
2017-02-08, 06:11 PM
I recommend a simple Swift Hunter build, i.e. a multiclass Scout/Ranger.

Start with Human Scout 1, feats are Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot.

Been doing some Searches and Scout seems to be an odd Class.
Will my DM be familiar enough with it to allow me to play it or should I bring links so he can take a look at the class?

Also: are there any Character generator's that use the Scout Class?

Esprit15
2017-02-08, 06:28 PM
Been doing some Searches and Scout seems to be an odd Class.
Will my DM be familiar enough with it to allow me to play it or should I bring links so he can take a look at the class?

Also: are there any Character generator's that use the Scout Class?

It's the hybrid of Ranger (wilderness survivalist, likes bows or two weapon fighting) and rogue (precision damage, skill monkey, likely to die disabling a trap). Their schtick is getting higher AC and a sneak attack-like ability when they move in combat. Cleric dips for powering Travel Devotion are useful to get full attacks off and still getting your movement bonuses.

They don't do anything too overpowering, but I'd run it by your DM still.

Lormador
2017-02-08, 06:40 PM
One of the classic Archer characters in DnD is the elf Cleric or Druid archer. Elves get proficiency as a racial ability at 1st level. It takes a long time to get the feats an Archer wants, like Rapid Shot, but it's there. The only problem here, from a new player's perspective, is all the spellcasting that Clerics and Druids get.

Mechanically, the easiest archer to handle over the table is the Ranger. With a good choice of favored enemy it plays fine. I've ushered a lot of new players through Expedition to Castle Ravenloft with a Favored Enemy: Undead Ranger.

One thing you should really try to get from your DM is access to the Pathfinder feat Deadly Aim. Not putting a feat like that into 3.5 was a real oversight, and it helps archers out a lot.

Particle_Man
2017-02-08, 07:15 PM
What books are available, btw? And how high level is the campaign likely to get?

At the risk of having books thrown at me, I suggest the humble human fighter.

Obvious feats to go for:

Point Blank Shot
Far Shot
Precise Shot
Improved Precise Shot
Rapid Shot
Manyshot
Shot On The Run

Weapon Focus
Weapon Specialization
Greater Weapon Focus
Improved Critical
Greater Weapon Specialization

If you are allowed to get this purely non-psionic feat that for some odd reason is in the Expanded Psionics Handbook (and in the SRD):

Greater Manyshot

Some less obvious but useful core feats:

Improved Unarmed Strike
Deflect Arrows (if in a fight with another archer this one is nice, and you won't be holding a bow with two hands when it is not your turn (you have to let go of the bowstring anyhow after firing the last arrow and before drawing arrows when it is your turn).

Iron Will (because charming the fighter to attack the party is a standard bad guy trick)
Great Fortitude (turning to stone sucks)
Skill Focus (Perception)
Alertness

Maybe:

Mounted Combat
Mounted Archery
Lightning Reflexes

This is actually listing more feats that you can take, even with a human fighter, but you can select from among them (oh, you get more feats if your DM allows flaws - check with your DM).

For skills I would recommend perception, even though it is cross-class. It is just that important.

You need Dexterity to hit, and Constitution to not die. You need Strength to do more damage once you have a composite longbow that is "mighty" and thus can take advantage of your strength. You could use some Wisdom to help with that will save. Intelligence and Charisma are not needed for this build.

Eladrinblade
2017-02-09, 05:16 AM
Don't fall into the fighter trap. Just because it gives feats doesn't make it a good archer. Ranger is the best base class for archers, followed by rogue. Swift Hunter is the objective best, especially if you dip cloistered cleric.
If you're playing in faerun, you can grab the elf and war domains (with solonor as your god; favored weapon longbow) for some bonus feats.

Eldariel
2017-02-09, 05:57 AM
Barbarian with Whirling Frenzy makes for excellent archers as well. You can easily multiclass out too. I'd take one-two levels and the Extra Rage feat in almost all non-caster builds.