PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Good prestige classes for a homebrew class

Alice Cataclysm
2017-02-08, 05:24 PM
So I am running a kind of weird homebrew class and I need some help figuring out the prestige class I should go for. My class is basically a warrior that gains spells at level 4 like a ranger does, the spells being self buffing and utility spells, and the whole point of the class is to be fairly agile, using high dex to stay alive, being fast to move around the battlefield while using a large scythe to fight with. I was wondering if there are any prestige classes that would work with this concept of moving around quickly, focusing on speed and dex, etc

thanks in advance for any help and replies I get :smallsmile:

eggynack
2017-02-08, 05:29 PM
Swiftblade (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) seems plausibly suited. The haste thing means it might be late before you can use the class, but it definitely does the whole speed+casting+stabbing thing you're aiming for.

Kelb_Panthera
2017-02-08, 05:33 PM
So I am running a kind of weird homebrew class and I need some help figuring out the prestige class I should go for. My class is basically a warrior that gains spells at level 4 like a ranger does, the spells being self buffing and utility spells, and the whole point of the class is to be fairly agile, using high dex to stay alive, being fast to move around the battlefield while using a large scythe to fight with. I was wondering if there are any prestige classes that would work with this concept of moving around quickly, focusing on speed and dex, etc

Jade Phoenix Mage focusing on diamond mind?

Alice Cataclysm
2017-02-08, 06:20 PM
Sadly my class uses Divine instead of Arcane so while I really love swift blade I wont be able to take it (Unless there is some way for me to get haste with my current class) And my DM has banned stances so I cant use the jade mind mage

eggynack
2017-02-08, 06:23 PM
Sadly my class uses arcane instead of divine so while I really love swift blade I wont be able to take it (Unless there is some way for me to get haste with my current class).
Swiftblade is an arcane class. The haste thing is the only issue.

Alice Cataclysm
2017-02-08, 06:34 PM
Swiftblade is an arcane class. The haste thing is the only issue.

Sorry i messed up with that post, I meant it uses divine not arcane

Kelb_Panthera
2017-02-08, 07:07 PM
Sadly my class uses Divine instead of Arcane so while I really love swift blade I wont be able to take it (Unless there is some way for me to get haste with my current class) And my DM has banned stances so I cant use the jade mind mage

Whaaaa...

Also, are you basically sort of a paladin variant without the CoC?

Don't suppose you could just link the class write-up?

Lormador
2017-02-08, 07:14 PM
Wait a minute....

You're in a homebrew class, what do you need a prestige class for? Simply adjust the homebrew class until it does what you want.

Dagroth
2017-02-09, 03:38 AM

Homebrew PRC: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Celestial_Disciple_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)

Alice Cataclysm
2017-02-13, 12:51 PM
Sorry for not replying for so long! life got hectic for a bit.

I think i have decided on swift blade for the prc, but there is only one issue, I cant find a way to give myself higher spell-slots to use the level 10 ability Innervated speed, since my class only gets up to level 4 spells. Anyone have any ideas on how I could get higher level spellsots without taking many dips in other classes? if not I suppose Ill only go to level 9 in it.

Thanks for all the help and replies everyone

flappeercraft
2017-02-14, 03:59 AM
Sorry for not replying for so long! life got hectic for a bit.

I think i have decided on swift blade for the prc, but there is only one issue, I cant find a way to give myself higher spell-slots to use the level 10 ability Innervated speed, since my class only gets up to level 4 spells. Anyone have any ideas on how I could get higher level spellsots without taking many dips in other classes? if not I suppose Ill only go to level 9 in it.

Thanks for all the help and replies everyone

I am not sure of how true this is but from what I've read on the Dragonwrought kobold threads, true dragons can take epic feats without needing to be epic HD so if you make the character a Dragonwrought kobold then you would be able to gake Improved Spell capacity a couple of times which would net you higher level slots.

I am not completely sure of this but if it is true it is probably in Draconomicon or Races of the Dragon.

If you're not a kobold then I guess you could do Savage Species Rituals to become one and then DCFS to trade your 1st level feat for Dragonwrought. Of course if you're willing to go that far for higher level spell slots.

Dagroth
2017-02-14, 04:25 AM
I am not sure of how true this is but from what I've read on the Dragonwrought kobold threads, true dragons can take epic feats without needing to be epic HD so if you make the character a Dragonwrought kobold then you would be able to gake Improved Spell capacity a couple of times which would net you higher level slots.

I am not completely sure of this but if it is true it is probably in Draconomicon or Races of the Dragon.

If you're not a kobold then I guess you could do Savage Species Rituals to become one and then DCFS to trade your 1st level feat for Dragonwrought. Of course if you're willing to go that far for higher level spell slots.

As I understand it, a Dragonwrought Kobold becomes a True Dragon... therefore he ages as a True Dragon. Therefore, when he's Ancient (or younger than that... don't recall), he automatically qualifies for Epic Feats.

Obviously a RAW vs. RAI situation, since clearly the writers assumed that any True Dragon of Ancient age would be over 20 hit dice.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-14, 04:55 AM

As I understand it, a Dragonwrought Kobold becomes a True Dragon... therefore he ages as a True Dragon. Therefore, when he's Ancient (or younger than that... don't recall), he automatically qualifies for Epic Feats.

Obviously a RAW vs. RAI situation, since clearly the writers assumed that any True Dragon of Ancient age would be over 20 hit dice.
There is some truth here, but you're also partially incorrect. Dragonwrought kobolds are dragons (whether they're true dragons by RAW is up to debate, but it doesn't concern us now) and have age categories just like the MM true dragons. Draconomicon 66 states that dragons of at least old age can select epic feats even if they're not 21st level characters, but it doesn't allow them to ignore the prerequisites altogether. In other words, dragons of at least old age don't automatically qualify for epic feats, but can still select them as if they were epic character: you're free to grab Great Constitution at 3rd level, but you're going to wait until you have Perform 30 ranks to get Group Inspiration. In this case, OP will need to be able to cast spells* of the normal maximum level in at least one spellcasting class (apparently 4th) and then pick Improved Spell Capacity twice to get his first 6th level slot.

*Note that this is plural, so you technically don't qualify for Improved Spell Capacity if you can only cast 1 of such spells.