PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Druid Crisis

historygeek1999
2017-02-08, 06:14 PM
Hi am new to DND and I am playing my first campaign.
So far the situation looks grim for my character. During our first session my character was cursed by a titan to become controlled by the groups evil death cleric. The cleric can kill and control me at any point and my character in a month will die if a king isn't killed. I can't tell anyone else in the group or I will be killed. I can't kill the cleric either and he is at level 3 while I am at 2. Would summoning Frey help me or are there any spells that would stop the curse?
Also do any of you have any advice for novice land druids?
Any help would be appreciated.

Feuerphoenix
2017-02-08, 06:16 PM
hit your gm in the face for this kind of action...

and then kill the cleric. with shapeshifting, there is not that much he can do against you. Which spells do you have?

Mith
2017-02-08, 06:19 PM
At level 2, I don't think there are any ways to remove the curse.

Why would the DM put your character at the mercy of another PC like that?

This sounds like an issue that needs to be resolved with the DM between sessions.

Mith
2017-02-08, 06:20 PM

and then kill the cleric. with shapeshifting, there is not that much he can do against you. Which spells do you have?

I assume the Death Cleric has effectively Power Word Kill against the OP, as he can kill him at any point, not to mention take control of him at any point.

Saggo
2017-02-08, 06:23 PM
Greater Restoration ends one curse, which you can pay or do a sidequest for a cleric, druid, or bard NPC to cast on you. (Assuming your DM doesn't make the price exorbitant in order to keep you in the curse.)

jaappleton
2017-02-08, 06:23 PM
Alright. There's a couple of things going on here. We need a lot more information.

You're a new player. What you need to know is there's dozens and dozens of kinds of players, and the same goes for Dungeon Masters. Some like chaos and destruction, in the sense of sewing seeds of (and enabling) hatred, bullying, etc.

If roleplayed correctly, inter-party conflict can be spectacular. It makes for character arcs, and amazing roleplaying moments. Unfortunately, many people can't do that...

You can try to outright fight him. If you're a Moon Druid, you will likely win. But I doubt it'll solve the actual problem; WHY did this happen? What caused another player to want to curse you? Is the person just a jerk?

We need to know more here.

historygeek1999
2017-02-08, 06:32 PM
Our DM wanted to curse all of us in some way. To begin with the Death Cleric was under my control so I could teach him about nature and stop him from raising the dead. I got very very unlucky with my roles and got poisoned by this owl with this blue curse magic. Then a titan showed up and made friends with the death cleric, while I couldn't really do anything. The titan controls the curse and gave it to the cleric as gift because what happened. My spells are Produce Flame, Goodberry, Thunderwave, and Shillelagh. I can't kill the Cleric or I will die. I haven't chosen the new spells I get with level 2. I was thinking trying to summon Frey might help. I was also thinking that dispel magic might work or try to reincarnate myself or resurrect myself at a later date. I was planning on going land, but if you all recommend moon I will reconsider. Also what spells do you recommend for Druids and what should I do?

jaappleton
2017-02-08, 06:33 PM
Be brutally honest. Because this will impact our advice.

Brutally, totally honest. Ok?

Were you a being a dink to the Death Cleric?

historygeek1999
2017-02-08, 06:36 PM
No I wasn't the death cleric is chaotic good and I don't think appreciated my nature talks. The DM and the cleric refer to me as the tragic hero.

historygeek1999
2017-02-08, 06:37 PM
I never had time to give the Cleric a single command.

jaappleton
2017-02-08, 06:44 PM
So from what you're saying, they essentially did this to make you shut the heck up.

Which... Isn't right. But that's their game.

Best option? Talk to the DM outside of the game. Ask him if the way you've been RPing your character is against his style, and if not, what would fit better.

Alternatively? You said you can't tell anyone else in the group. Nobody said you couldn't tell NPCs.

The Death Cleric is Chaotic Good. That tell me he's worshipping at least a Neutral deity. Kelemvor? Raven Queen? Because neither of those Gods like screwing with Fate. And having the ability to use you against your will (controlling you) is a violation of that. Go to a temple of that Deity, and explain things. The Death Cleric may be stripped of his power. At the least, they should be able to cast Remove Curse.

If you do that, go to the temple, and the DM basically shuts you down... I'm sorry, but that group sucks and you should find a new one. And that's terrible, because it really is a WONDERFUL hobby, and it's definitely the most fun game I've ever played. But like with any group, there's some bad eggs. There's online games to be played via Roll20 or over Google Hangouts or Skype, or your local game shop, etc. Don't feel like that table is your only option, ok?

historygeek1999
2017-02-08, 07:00 PM
Can you cast a resurrection spell on yourself before you die and then come back? The God is made up and has no temple and nearly already killed my character. Anyways what spells do you recommend for Druids to pick up?

jaappleton
2017-02-08, 07:08 PM
Wait the spell Command? That requires him to say something for you to do immediately, and it's limited to one word, really. If that's what it is, he has no control over you. You have to make a saving throw and all that. That's no way to control another person. That's just stupid.

And you can't kill him, or you'll die? Screw it. He'll die first. Find a huge cliff. Tell him to remove the curse or you both die. If he refuses, tackle him off the cliff.

---

Assuming you don't want to go that route...

You actually know EVERY Druid spell. All of them. Clerics and Paladins know theirs, too. You're just limited to what you can prepare at the end of each long rest. So if you know you're going to be fighting a bunch of Tieflings, don't prepare any Fire based spells. Fighting Dwarves? Don't prepare any Poison spells.

jaappleton
2017-02-08, 07:10 PM
And no. This isn't Final Fantasy, there is no Life 3 spell. You can't pre-cast something that'll prevent outright death.

Flashy
2017-02-08, 07:17 PM
And no. This isn't Final Fantasy, there is no Life 3 spell. You can't pre-cast something that'll prevent outright death.

Death Ward, technically, but it's way outside the level range.

coredump
2017-02-08, 07:19 PM
Besides, how is a cleric 2 casting resurrection ?

Asmotherion
2017-02-08, 07:41 PM
There are some spells:

-Middle Finger of Death (Your DM is the target)
-Dispell DM
-CounterDM (used when he invented this crap in the first place, as a reaction. Explain to him what he is doing is player-bullying, and stupid.)
-Expeditious Retreat From Table (As soon as the DM makes up crap about a player having authority over an other player that was not agreed uppon by both players; A group that plays like this when a newbe joins the group is going to spoil the DnD experiance to you, and you're gonna be sorry you ever played the game... Just join an other group of emotionally mature people, no high-school jerks).
-Haste (in this case specifically, it does stack with the benefits of Expeditious Retreat, but only to go further away from the DM in question).
-Banish DM (into oblivion, at least in your mind, so that you never remember again how awefull of a DM he was.

Seriously, though, in a case like that, I would talk to them, and tell them you feel uncomfortable about this. Have them remove the curse by the next session or you'll leave the group. What he's doing is basically the equivalent of bullying in DnD.

Potato_Priest
2017-02-08, 08:00 PM
Our DM wanted to curse all of us in some way. To begin with the Death Cleric was under my control so I could teach him about nature and stop him from raising the dead. I got very very unlucky with my roles and got poisoned by this owl with this blue curse magic. Then a titan showed up and made friends with the death cleric, while I couldn't really do anything. The titan controls the curse and gave it to the cleric as gift because what happened. My spells are Produce Flame, Goodberry, Thunderwave, and Shillelagh. I can't kill the Cleric or I will die. I haven't chosen the new spells I get with level 2. I was thinking trying to summon Frey might help. I was also thinking that dispel magic might work or try to reincarnate myself or resurrect myself at a later date. I was planning on going land, but if you all recommend moon I will reconsider. Also what spells do you recommend for Druids and what should I do?

Firstly, don't ignore the other people's advice. It's all very good. I am going to take a different route, and analyze your spell choices.

Dispel Magic might do the trick, but it's a 3rd level spell, which you can learn starting at level 5. You'd need a cleric for remove curse.

You could try protection from evil and good. This whole scenario sounds extremely homebrewed so it might do the trick.

In your case, there is probably only 1 spell that can save you: speak with animals, and only then if you are very lucky. If you encounter a powerful animal in your travels, you might be able to persuade it to kill the cleric for you.

Sigreid
2017-02-08, 10:53 PM
Are you sure your character isn't being conned? Because it sounds like your character is being conned. A nice old fashioned game of mess with the new guy.

Hairfish
2017-02-09, 12:03 AM
Presumably, the cleric sleeps sometimes, unless he's an elf. Smother him with a blanket. Or wait until fifth level and use Conjure Animal to fill his tent with poisonous snakes.

Alternatively, find a better group, because your DM doesn't sound like a winner. As a new player, the most important thing to remember is that not gaming is better than bad gaming.

Arcangel4774
2017-02-09, 01:03 AM
Who else is in the party?

Finback
2017-02-09, 04:41 AM
Kill the cleric, even if it takes you down.

Always nuke the site from orbit, when in doubt.

busterswd
2017-02-09, 05:32 AM
Not sure why people are suggesting in game spells to "solve" this; the DM is doing stuff that's not in the books and would probably fiat any regular method that doesn't fit what he wants the OP to do.

OP needs to make a decision: either he can trust the DM to still run a fun game and have a good storyline, or he can decide this is a big enough problem for him to talk about out of character. If it can't be resolved to both party's satisfaction, it may be time to find a new group.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-09, 05:41 AM
mess with the new guy

It's gotta be, right? historygeek1999, you are not obliged to put up with this. There are better groups out there.

Arkhios
2017-02-09, 06:02 AM

and then kill the cleric.
Judging from your signature, this sounds awful lot like Divine Smite! :smallbiggrin:

Anyhow, I agree with the guys above, that the DM (and other players?) might be messing with you for being the new guy, historygeek1999. Not cool, indeed.

Feuerphoenix
2017-02-09, 06:47 AM
Judging from your signature, this sounds awful lot like Divine Smite! :smallbiggrin:

Anyhow, I agree with the guys above, that the DM (and other players?) might be messing with you for being the new guy, historygeek1999. Not cool, indeed.

It is never too late to show your true feelings with divine smite to your loved ones :PP

Quickblade
2017-02-10, 10:50 AM
The DM is unfairly screwing with you. Screw with him back by killing the death cleric removing both of you from play and watch his reaction then join another group. He won't try that crap again

RickAllison
2017-02-10, 10:55 AM
The DM is unfairly screwing with you. Screw with him back by killing the death cleric removing both of you from play and watch his reaction then join another group. He won't try that crap again

"My body shall create life anew, but yours will simply burn!" Cue Flaming Sphere bonus actions while beating him down as a bear...

Vorpalchicken
2017-02-10, 12:18 PM
No flaming sphere yet- but if your DM is using xp properly, you should reach level 3 before he reaches level 4.
Note that 2nd level spells come at character level 3 and 3rd level spells come at character level 5, in case that's not clear to the OP.
Even at level 2, a moon druid has favorable odds at beating a level 3 cleric. You can wild shape with a bonus action and use bonus actions to heal with spell slots. If the cleric happens to do enough damage to knock you out of bear form, you can just wild shape again on the next round.
Try to surprise the cleric, or attack when he's sleeping, hopefully out of spell slots. You also need to conserve your wild shaping uses until it's midnight snack time.

jaappleton
2017-02-10, 12:19 PM
"Druid Crisis"

The new survival horror game from Capcom, where it's like Dino Crisis. Except sometimes the dinosaurs transform into bears or cast spells at you.

Vogonjeltz
2017-02-11, 04:37 AM
Hi am new to DND and I am playing my first campaign.
So far the situation looks grim for my character. During our first session my character was cursed by a titan to become controlled by the groups evil death cleric. The cleric can kill and control me at any point and my character in a month will die if a king isn't killed. I can't tell anyone else in the group or I will be killed. I can't kill the cleric either and he is at level 3 while I am at 2. Would summoning Frey help me or are there any spells that would stop the curse?
Also do any of you have any advice for novice land druids?
Any help would be appreciated.

If nothing else, assuming you're not enjoying yourself, but want to keep playing with this group, tell the DM so you can work things through person to person.

I don't know what Summoning Frey means. There are spells that remove curses, or you could consult with the DM about how your character might go about getting a curse removed.

This all appears to be quite ad hoc, so there's no rule-based guidelines for this sort of thing, just brainstorming.

Also, Death Domain on a character that's supposed to be Chaotic Good? And claiming a character is Chaotic Good when they put a curse on their ally that will kill them if a stranger doesn't die in a set time frame? That's some kind of Neutral or Chaotic Evil, not even close to a Good alignment.

Given that just, I wouldn't go in expecting great things from conversation with the DM, but then again, if they're that loosey goosey with the system you could probably get away with saying: 'I dispel the curse through sheer force of will, there's no curse now', and simply ignore any attempt by any other player (or the DM) to say otherwise.

Ovarwa
2017-02-11, 04:44 PM
I 3rd this: Try to kill the cleric. Preferably during the middle of combat vs npcs, because that's likely to lead to other PC deaths. One of two things will happen: You succeed or you fail. Either way, problem solved. If anyone else whines that you are not rping properly, tell them to stop whining: Nature abhors a death cleric. If someone whines that you're ruining the fun, tell them that killing the cleric *is* fun. (And it will be!) Worst comes to worst, your character dies. Then join another game. Or, you might actually win, and then you can decide if you like the game more.

Level discrepancy doesn't matter as much if you attack during a well-balanced encounter. Or when the cleric is asleep.

(Or just save time and simply don't show up for the next session, without notice.)

BillyBobShorton
2017-02-12, 08:01 AM
Find another DM. This guy sounds horrible.

Even if you overcome this crap, he'll keep pulling more "ANTI-DM" garbage outta his ass, guaranteed.