PDA

View Full Version : Haley + Greatsword [spoiler I guess]

Yechezkiel
2007-07-22, 03:15 AM
:haley: Haley looks pretty hot with a greatsword on her back. I know she's a Rogue and we probably won't get to see her swinging it, but I can dream.

Aidjn
2007-07-22, 07:43 AM
Can you sneak attack with one of those?

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-22, 07:48 AM
You can sneak-attack with any weapon. Even improvised ones.

The problem is that Haley is facing non-proficiency with it.

heroe_de_leyenda
2007-07-22, 07:49 AM
Yes you can. There's nothing in the rules that says you coundn't

Yeril
2007-07-22, 08:13 AM
Sneak attack Spit in face!

0d4 damage +8d6 SNEAK ATTACK!
MY EYE!!!!1

Regneva
2007-07-22, 09:58 AM
Jillian Zamussels anyone?

RAGE KING!
2007-07-22, 10:59 AM
Zammussels isnt hot.
I doubt haley will use the greatsword.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-07-22, 12:00 PM
Well, if the "Haley is an aasimar" theory is true, she can use it without penalty. It would be interesting, but I don't think The Giant is going to be that obvious about it. We probably won't come out with that revelation until we get into the story arc involving Nale's and Elan's father (which is probably the same guy who imprisoned Haley's father).

Nightgaunt
2007-07-22, 12:23 PM
Well, if the "Haley is an aasimar" theory is true, she can use it without penalty.

Aasimar don't get racial HD, Haley is proficient in her class weapons only (even if she was one). Certainly she could have attained proficiency in other ways, but being an Aasimar won't do it.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-07-22, 01:51 PM
Sneak attack Spit in face!

0d4 damage +8d6 SNEAK ATTACK!
MY EYE!!!!1

The rogue, out of options, gets to initiative. She takes a move action to draw, a vial of holy water. The evil creature is flanked; Voila! Holy-aligned sneak attack.

Krellen
2007-07-22, 04:14 PM
Aasimar don't get racial HD, Haley is proficient in her class weapons only (even if she was one). Certainly she could have attained proficiency in other ways, but being an Aasimar won't do it.
According to the Sage, this is not so. Aasimars, being Outsiders, gain a racial proficiency with all martial weapons. The rules state Humanoids lose racial proficiencies, but Outsiders obviously aren't Humanoids, so that doesn't apply to them.

the_tick_rules
2007-07-22, 04:55 PM
again with the aasmir theory.

Nomadic
2007-07-22, 05:48 PM
Haley using roy's greatsword to beat her way back to hinjo's junk could cause for a rather climatic moment

*gets pelted with rotten fruit*

Recursive
2007-07-22, 06:18 PM
Haley really does look badass with Roy's sword.

I imagine that she'll end up using the sword or the not-a-booty-talisman, but not both. The fact that both items remain visible on her, rather than disappearing into Equipment Space like most stuff that the PCs carry, keeps us guessing which item is loaded into Chekov's gun.

WuanAnselm
2007-07-24, 02:41 PM
Well she can use longbows so it means she already has martial weapons proficiency, allowing her to use the greatsword

...if her strength score is high enough for her to hit a thing with it that's it (which I doubt)

of course it could also be that she used the longbow back then in the walls with no proficiency thinking that the laws of drama were in her favor, which would collapse my entire theory then, heh.

lord_khaine
2007-07-24, 02:55 PM
nahh, if she had taken the martial weapon proficiency though a feat, then it would only aply to a singel weapon.

JohnnyPsycho
2007-07-24, 03:21 PM
You can sneak-attack with any weapon. Even improvised ones.

I'd like to now quote a line from the movie The Gamers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiTEHqAeanw)...

GM: You're going to back-stab him with a ballista?
Thief: Uh-huh.
GM: With a ****ing siege weapon?
Thief: Uh-huh.
Best part of that scene is the fact that the GM allows it, and he explains the resulting carnage in the room looking like "a vat of beef stroganoff exploded in it." I doubt a competent GM or DM would actually allow that sort of abuse of the thief/rogue's sneak-attack abilities, but it's at least very comical in this instance.

holywhippet
2007-07-24, 06:55 PM
Best part of that scene is the fact that the GM allows it, and he explains the resulting carnage in the room looking like "a vat of beef stroganoff exploded in it." I doubt a competent GM or DM would actually allow that sort of abuse of the thief/rogue's sneak-attack abilities, but it's at least very comical in this instance.

Competent? The rules are the rules and if they don't say a ballista is disallowed then there's nothing stopping the player.

In that particular case though, if I was the GM I'd have hit him with a list of requirements to pull it off though. Firstly, he'd need to actually have a ballista (in a bag of holding maybe). Then he'd need to perform silent movement checks for assembling the damn thing. Throw in some spot checks from the crowd to see whether they notice and raise and alarm. The main catch would probably be the time taken to get it ready.

Evil DM Mark3
2007-07-25, 05:05 AM
Seeing as a Balista is a Large (or prehaps Huge, can't remember) crossbow with the apropriate size penalty, and you have to get the friggin' thing within 30ft to sneak attack (possibly more if you have crossbow sniper) ye, sure, manouver so you can do it, beat all them spot/listens and yes, you too can have a stroganoff explosion.

And the infamy of such an event.

Causing most future villains to know of the manouver.

Kesnit
2007-07-25, 06:01 AM
In that particular case though, if I was the GM I'd have hit him with a list of requirements to pull it off though. Firstly, he'd need to actually have a ballista (in a bag of holding maybe). Then he'd need to perform silent movement checks for assembling the damn thing. Throw in some spot checks from the crowd to see whether they notice and raise and alarm. The main catch would probably be the time taken to get it ready.

You're assuming the ballista isn't already set up. Maybe the city was expecting a siege and had their anti-siege weapons ready...