PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Helping out a new guy

finaldooms
2017-02-09, 01:02 AM
Ok so hi again yall! Im currently running a 3.5 game for some mostly new players where i live...but my girlfriend is going to be having a baby soon ( like within the next 5 days..talk about stressful) so im letting a new player who was intrested in being dm run the next game tommrow and probly for. Bit after that .
He needed to know how to make this end fight a bit more challenging. And short of throwing more mobs im just not sure so..here is the team comp and the mobs for this fight ( all i know is lvl and creature lol)

Mobs:
1 lvl 5 orc lieutenant
4 basic orcs ( lvl 1 i assume)

Party comp
http://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20encountercalculator/vl 4 golaith fighter ( mostly set up for tripping with spiked chain. ..its me because this party really needs a good CC just to stay up..but im mostly guna hang back and assist)
1 lvl4 human wizard( mostly utility such as smoke wall and grease)
1 lvl4 human druid( just lost her badger ac and kinda just gets in the way..she is to afraid of dieing )
1 lvl 7 dwarf cleric ( he is just all over the place..but he heals which is good)
1 lvl 7 fighter ( he likes using a longsword and a bow..nothing special there)
1 lvl 4 rock thing ( he is a mineral warrior human with enlarge person perma ...and he wanted to be annoying and has a custom class i made that does monk stuff with small scale magic ( eletric or earth based magic only with sorc castings ) at lvl 4 his con to ac kicks in so he has like an 18 or 20 ..which is kinda meh but he likes it ..oh and he has a special smash that lets him do either 2x or 3x str damage once a fight)
And last but not least....1 lvl 5 human...err..elf....one of them...rogue with nothing special
Any advice would be awsome

finaldooms
2017-02-09, 01:06 AM
Also if someone could tell me how to spoiler thst would be awesome so that all these big txts are smaller lol

Swaoeaeieu
2017-02-09, 02:27 AM
When writing a post there is a little button looking like a text bubble witht the word spoil in it. Just press it and put what you want inside the spoiler between ''[SPOILER]'' and "[/ SPOILER]"

A quick look at the list gives me two thoughts:
1) why the level disparity? some level 4 players and other at 7? thats odd
2) enemies might need a spellcaster, right now looks like the enemies are underleveled and dont have an edge against the players. Give the baddies something to do :)

finaldooms
2017-02-09, 05:33 AM
Ok thanks alot! And as for the lvl difference golaith and rock thing are actually lvl 5 (+1 adjustment i forgot) and the other lvl 4s came un 2 sessions later so i started them 1 lvl lower...then stuff happened and i gave everyone a flat 10k exp from a fight that should have been easy but turned into one of the hardest fights ive ever seen anyone deal with ( it was 2 ankegs vs 5 of them...poor bard has the worst luck ive seen as well...ended up rolling his stats for him )
And what lvl would you recommend the spellcaster? I was thinking either a sorc at 6th for 3rd lvl spells...or a druid or wizard of same lvl ( druid would be a shaman ofc) ...or would just 2nd lvl spells be enough. ..we arnt trying to destroy the party and u want the new dm to get some practice
Edit: well i trying spoiling it right lol...close enough

Baby Gary
2017-02-09, 09:06 AM
you could throw in a 7th level sorcerer probably, and have the other orcs be the sorcerer's henchmen

finaldooms
2017-02-10, 01:21 AM
Well he added a lvl 4 druid to the fight...who ended up failing his save against an arrow in the face while summoning a distraction ...and my trip fighter was alot more effective than i meant it to be >> we blew through his dungeon in about 3 hrs since he kept wanting to focus on me and he randomly threw an ettin at us lol..which the wizard then proceeded to grease and deny

Zombimode
2017-02-10, 07:13 AM
He needed to know how to make this end fight a bit more challenging.

You have a large level 6ish Party, and your end fight starts out with one Level 5 NPC and a handfull of basic orcs?

Thats not an end fight. Thats a Speed bump.

That being said, adding more creatures to the mix usually preferable to upping the powerlevel of the existing creatures (that will make the battle more lopsided).
Without knowing anything about the context of the battle, it is quite difficult to give concrete suggestions, though.

I'll try anyway:

Horde of Orcs style:
Increase the Leutnant to Level 6.
Add two Level 3 orcs riding on Dire Wolfs.
Add a group of 4 normal orcs equipped with bows.
Add a low Level cleric, that keeps Company with the archers. The cleric should prepare the spells Blessed Aim and Guiding Light.
Then, use terrain and tactics: the arches should be seperate from the other orcs and behind cover. The dire wolf riders should attack from yet another angle.
EL 9

Elite Group style:
Make the Leutnant a Level 7 warlord (look at the Warchief PRC) or Eye of Gruumsh
Replace the normal orc with 3 Level 3 Fighters.
Add a Level 6 spellcaster, like a Sorcerer, Favored Soul or Cleric.
Add a Level 5 fighter with a bow.
Add some kind of CR 3 or CR 4 beast.
EL 10