PDA

View Full Version : Are there any feats/abilities/classfeatures that emulate great flyby attack feat

Nicktacular
2017-02-09, 01:39 AM
I thought of a nifty move but my pc's Dex sucks so using great flyby attack won't work

DrMotives
2017-02-09, 01:57 AM
Great Flyby Attack lets you use a flyby attack against a number of targets equal to your dex bonus, but a dex bonus isn't a prereq to having the feat. Just flyby attack and a fly speed. So, any dex-boosting items or effects as part of your combat buffs will be fine. Cat's Grace will flat out let you attack 2 extra targets during a flyby. Getting some dex boosting permanent item, usually in gloves or boot slots, will save you from having to be buffed with Cat's Grace. You can also use Alter Self to assume a form of a higher dex winged creature to better use your feat. Air Mephits have a +6 to dex, with CG that's 5 targets allowed per Great Flyby Attack. If you already are an Air Mephit who made dex your dump stat (unlikely but possible) you can Alter Self into a typical member of your race and go to default physical scores.

WhamBamSam
2017-02-09, 02:11 AM
If you need to make use of the fact that Great Flyby Attack applies one attack roll to all targets (such as if you want to combo with True Strike or Surge of Fortune or something), then you may be out of luck.

If you just want to move and attack a bunch of enemies as you go, then Paimon's Dance of Death or the Desert Tempest maneuver may actually serve your needs better. The (terrible) Aerial Avenger PrC has a class feature called Swoop which lets them fly in a line and attack everything within reach, but takes a penalty for attacks after the first. You can also attack all enemies in a 60ft line with the Whirling Blade spell.

Nicktacular
2017-02-09, 02:30 AM
Boosting Dex seems to be the play here. Although the aerial avenger could do it the best. Basically you snag knockback and keep power attacking them backwards then they leave your range then you continue on your path they renter you range and you repeat until you lose movement or they're dead

WhamBamSam
2017-02-09, 03:10 AM
Boosting Dex seems to be the play here. Although the aerial avenger could do it the best. Basically you snag knockback and keep power attacking them backwards then they leave your range then you continue on your path they renter you range and you repeat until you lose movement or they're deadI don't think that actually works with Great Flyby Attack, since it gives you one attack against each of the [Dex bonus] opponents. Swoop seems sketchy as well based on how it's written. Desert Tempest explicitly does not allow you to attack the same enemy more than once. Paimon might work, but the language of 'moving past,' means that you'd probably need to zig-zag or something to attack the same enemy multiple times in this manner.

I got a trick like this to work with one of my builds in the Great Rift Skyguard round of Iron Chef. Look at Bolfarg of Knoss in my sig, though if I were to redo the build, I'd probably try to make it work with Divine Minion of Anhur rather than Half-Gorristro, though the Drogue Wing melding into your form when you Fast Wild Shape needs to be worked around in that case. I posted a build skeleton (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20750709&postcount=165) and some other thoughts for one such workaround involving Alter Self into a Ravid to animate the Drogue Wing in the aftermath of the competition. Just sticking a Wildling Clasp on your Drogue Wing will also work, though you might want the Archivist levels anyway for Make Whole, Swift Ready, and so on.