PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Collective attempt to choose thematic bard spells for a worshiper of Kord.

Arkhios
2017-02-09, 09:21 AM
Hello, my fellow Giants!

I'm interested in which bard spells would you consider thematic for a worshiper of Kord (more or less based on the Dawn War version).

The Brawler, Windswept Lord
Lesser God
Symbol: Sword with a lightning bolt cross guard
Home Plane: Ysgard
Alignment: Chaotic neutral
Areas of Influence: Storms, strength, battle
Domains: Tempest

Kord is the storm god and the lord of battle. He revels in strength, battlefield prowess, and thunder. Warriors and athletes revere him. He is a mercurial god, unbridled and wild, who summons storms over land and sea; those who hope for better weather appease him with prayers and spirited toasts.

According to myth Kord used to be a demigod, the son of a now long-dead sea god Romas and a mortal woman.

He gives few commands:

Be strong, but do not use your strength for wanton destruction.
Be brave and scorn cowardice in any form.
Prove your might in battle to win glory and renown.

Cantrips:

Thunderclap (EEPC)

1st Level:

Earth Tremor (EEPC)
Heroism
Longstrider
Thunderwave

2nd Level:

Enhance Ability (Bull's Strength)
Shatter
Skywrite? (EEPC)
Warding Wind? (EEPC)

3rd Level:

Stinking Cloud?

4th Level:

Freedom of Movement
Polymorph

5th Level:

Animate Objects
Planar Binding

Specter
2017-02-09, 09:24 AM
Heroism and Enhance Ability (Bull's Strenght) couldn't be better.

Arkhios
2017-02-09, 09:47 AM
Heroism and Enhance Ability (Bull's Strenght) couldn't be better.

I don't know why I didn't consider those! Thanks.

If anyone has ideas for spells throughout the spell levels, up to at least 4th level, please share your thoughts.

Let's focus on the bard list specifically, no magical secrets!

Arkhios
2017-02-10, 08:41 AM
I was wondering if Earth Tremor (from EEPC) would be fitting.

Anyone have thoughts for higher level spells?

Galadhrim
2017-02-10, 09:02 AM
I was wondering if Earth Tremor (from EEPC) would be fitting.

Anyone have thoughts for higher level spells?

I think Earth Tremor would work well.

Perhaps you could refluff stinking cloud a little.

Freedom of movement seems to add to the athletic theme.

Are you going to be in melee at all? Booming blade fits so well it seems tough to pass up. Perhaps MI feat with booming blade, lightning lure, and fog cloud as your level one spell

Arkhios
2017-02-10, 09:53 AM
I think Earth Tremor would work well.

Perhaps you could refluff stinking cloud a little.

Freedom of movement seems to add to the athletic theme.

Are you going to be in melee at all? Booming blade fits so well it seems tough to pass up. Perhaps MI feat with booming blade, lightning lure, and fog cloud as your level one spell

I'd prefer not taking Booming Blade, because of reasons. But Lightning Lure is pretty nice, I'll give you that.

NecroDancer
2017-02-10, 10:02 AM
For Lore bard you should take fly and call lighting (or lighting bolt). If you go valor bard I highly recommend storm sphere at 10th level.

Arkhios
2017-02-10, 10:03 AM
For Lore bard you should take fly and call lighting (or lighting bolt). If you go valor bard I highly recommend storm sphere at 10th level.

Thank you, but as I said above...

Let's focus on the bard list specifically, no magical secrets!

NecroDancer
2017-02-10, 10:35 AM
Oops my bad.

Animate object targeted on water or snow works good (or you could do it on a chariot and fly around the battlefield in it).

Planar binding to capture water/air elementals.

Polymorph to assume the form of huge animals (giant eagle works well fluff wise)

Arkhios
2017-02-12, 02:30 AM
Hmm, I have to admit I didn't even think of Polymorph. Nice idea. Turning myself into an air or water elemental could be awesome (for example).

Theheehee, Imma camp behind this snow wall, wrap up a dozen snowballs and cast animate objects on them. BEAT THAT, SNILLOC!

Anyhoo, I think these will do nicely. While I'd probably pick many of these spells, there are some others (non-Kord-ish spells) I'd have to consider due to their usefulness in other things.

Also, since I'm expecting to get around 7th or 8th level in bard, the list up to 4th level spells would already exhaust most of the available known spells limit.

PS. What do you think of Skywrite and Warding Wind?