View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Domovoi (frost) character creation ?

lylsyly
2017-02-09, 09:29 AM
I just want to see if I am doing this right:

Domovoi (Frostburn p122) are +2LA and have 2 Racial HD

So my Cleric 1 will be ECL 3 (we start at level 3 anyway) and still have to buyoff the +2 LA?

1 Domovoi
2 Domovoi
3 Cleric 1

Am I doing this right?

Technetium43
2017-02-09, 10:02 AM
Unfortunately, that's not how LA buyoff works. A Domovoi Cleric 1 would be level 5, with 2 HD and 1 Cleric level, and the two dead LA levels. Later on, you would be able to spend XP to offset the LA, but at this level you wouldn't be able to do anything at all.

lylsyly
2017-02-09, 10:55 AM
So basically something like this:

Level 1 I don't exist
Level 2 I don't exist
Level 3 Domovoi Racial HD 1
Level 4 Domovoi Racial HD 2
Level 5 Cleric 1
Level 6 Cleric 2
Level 7 Cleric 3
Level 8 Cleric 4
Level 9 Cleric 5
Level 10 Cleric 6 Here I buy off one point of LA so my ECL drops back to 9

meh, not ideal (I checked, DM is cool with it), but I really want that +6 to WIS (and everything else that goes with the race) so ... I guess I can live with it.

Thanks @Technetium43

EDIT: all of the other PCs will also be using LA +2 cheese (race and template)

eggynack
2017-02-09, 11:41 AM
meh, not ideal (I checked, DM is cool with it), but I really want that +6 to WIS (and everything else that goes with the race) so ... I guess I can live with it.
Apart from the wisdom, domovoi doesn't do that much for a cleric. You get SLA's, but you're turning away better spells for it. It's not like this race is especially good at the stabby stabby. So, why not go with a jermalaine from MM II? You lack basically any ability to hit stuff, and your other stats aren't great either, but you keep the +6 wisdom, maintain your fey nature (this time tiny), and going by the update have +0 LA and no RHD. Significant upgrade, and if you really need the LA there are always reasonable templates. I'd usually point to the anthropomorphic bat from savage species, which also has +6 wisdom at no LA or RHD cost, but I figured the fey thing might be important to you. If it's not, then that race is probably even better for whatever you're trying to do. And the unseelie fey template from dragon compendium can even turn that into a fey, along with granting a general upgrade.

So, yeah, better ways to do this if this is all you care about doing.

lylsyly
2017-02-09, 12:04 PM
@eggynack: So Jermalaine are already fey type, half-fey template says can be apply to any corporeal creature so by RAW I can apply it and get an extra +2 WIS, flight, some extra CHA to offset the poor Jermalaine's ... I love it.

I called the DM and told him, he started laughing and hung up (which means he's okay with it). Kinda puts a damper on the cleric helping in melee but a flying archer ain't so bad, lol:

I forget that there are races in the MMs that are playable.

Thanks, that's great.

Doctor Despair
2017-02-09, 12:13 PM
If you're deadset on playing a Domovi, ask your DM to negate the RHD. Say you want to at a Domovi that was ECL 4 (LA and HAD) but got into a fight with an u dead creature and had a level drained off. Then, your character retrained the last RHD into a level of cleric as the rules allow. Lev 1 Cleric, 2 LA. The boards don't typically put out stuff like this because it's DM fiat how much your backstory can affect your crunch, but it could get you what you want.

Alternatively, can you PaO into a Domovi? You can afford having a wizard cast it on you by that level. Start as a level 1 Cleric the same size as a Domovi, polymorph into a Domovi, and it should be permanent. Then, drain off the HD at a later time of your choosing.

eggynack
2017-02-09, 12:18 PM
@eggynack: So Jermalaine are already fey type, half-fey template says can be apply to any corporeal creature so by RAW I can apply it and get an extra +2 WIS, flight, some extra CHA to offset the poor Jermalaine's ... I love it.

I called the DM and told him, he started laughing and hung up (which means he's okay with it). Kinda puts a damper on the cleric helping in melee but a flying archer ain't so bad, lol:

I forget that there are races in the MMs that are playable.

Thanks, that's great.
Glad ya like it.