PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Making scrolls of other people's spells

SilverLeaf167
2017-02-09, 09:51 AM
I'm playing an Alchemist in a group that also includes a Wizard, a Druid and a Bard (and a Paladin, but I think he'll multiclass before getting spells). Alchemists only get one free formula per class level, which really isn't a lot, but they can scribe new ones into their formula book just like a Wizard can.

The Druid list in particular has some handy spells that also appear on the Alchemist list, but unfortunately he doesn't have a spellbook I could copy them from. The Wizard has Scribe Scroll, though, and if I understood correctly, item prerequisites (including spells) can be provided by separate people.

So, in a nutshell, what I want to do is this:

The Druid prepares a spell (say, Resist Energy) that appears on both our lists.
The Druid provides the spell and the Wizard provides the item creation feat to make a Scroll of Resist Energy. (I provide the money, probably.)
I copy the spell from the scroll into my formula book.

If it works, it seems like a pretty handy trick. Heck, it might be well-known for all I know. However, since I'm not very familiar with the item creation rules, I thought I'd make sure it really works.

So, any problem with the plan?
(If there is, I can probably just buy the scroll from somewhere else, but not relying on outside sources would be nice.)

legomaster00156
2017-02-09, 10:02 AM
Well, it would be a divine scroll, not an arcane scroll, so while the druid could cast from the scroll without issue, the wizard could not (even if the distinction is stupid, and should be houseruled away posthaste). However, as for copying it to your formula book from the scroll, there's no problem by RAW.

Lormador
2017-02-09, 10:11 AM
You might have a +5 to the DC for "a prerequisite that you do not meet," but otherwise I think you're fine.

The "Cooperative Crafting" section lays out the rules for this. Both the crafter and spell provider need to be present for the entire crafting.

Psyren
2017-02-09, 10:22 AM
Yes, this should work fine.

Knight Magenta
2017-02-09, 10:29 AM
No.

From the magic item creation rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Magic-Item-Creation):

Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item's creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed). The DC to create a magic item increases by 5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet. The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create potions, spell-trigger, or spell-completion magic items without meeting its prerequisites.

Psyren
2017-02-09, 10:33 AM
No.

From the magic item creation rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Magic-Item-Creation):

From your own quote:

Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item's creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed). The DC to create a magic item increases by 5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet. The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create potions, spell-trigger, or spell-completion magic items without meeting its prerequisites.

Geddy2112
2017-02-09, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I see no problem with it, as the rules mention this situation exactly. "If you need another character to supply one of an item's requirements (such as if you're a wizard creating an item with a divine spell), both you and the other character must be present for the entire duration of the crafting process." The only thing is making sure that you and the wizard have high enough spellcraft checks to take 10 and auto pass, but I doubt that is going to be an issue

SilverLeaf167
2017-02-09, 11:43 AM
Well, good to know that the general consensus seems to be positive! Given that Alchemists can leave slots open and create extracts in 1 minute each, I'm probably the best candidate for a lot of situational-but-critical spells that nobody wants to regularly waste their Spells Known/Prepared on.

Knight Magenta
2017-02-09, 12:35 PM
From your own quote:

Huh... I've been reading that wrong all this time. That's neat.

Does this mean that a wizard that has a cleric provide the cure-light wounds spell would make an arcane cure scroll that only a bard could use? :p