PDA

View Full Version : How to build a necro-sorcerer?

Sir cryosin
2017-02-09, 10:00 AM
So with the new FS sorcerer you gain access to all necrotic spells except for clone. How can we optimize this and what combos can we create with spell select, meta-magic, ect.....

I want to pick up Eldritch blast but I'll like not to MC if I don't have to.

Vaz
2017-02-09, 10:13 AM
Sorcerer 0/Necrowizard 20 i know that isn't that helpful, but there are no benwfits to being a Necromancer Sorc over a wizard. Quicken Disintegrate? I don't know really.

RickAllison
2017-02-09, 10:24 AM
Sorcerer 0/Necrowizard 20 i know that isn't that helpful, but there are no benwfits to being a Necromancer Sorc over a wizard. Quicken Disintegrate? I don't know really.

I was going to say that Twinned/Subtle Finger of Desth could work, but that isn't on the Cleric spell list.

Malaketh
2017-02-09, 10:28 AM
Are you talking about being a necromancer in the sense of pets? If so then I don't believe the sorcerer has much going for it in the sense of making animating better. In that regards then yes, the wizard school is better.

Sir cryosin
2017-02-09, 10:32 AM
I was going to say that Twinned/Subtle Finger of Desth could work, but that isn't on the Cleric spell list.

Finger of death in on the sorcerer spell list

Vaz
2017-02-09, 10:39 AM

Cannot combine Metamagic, but it's Sorcerer spell at least. Also, 7d8+30 or 13d6+40? 64.5 vs 85.5 from Disintegrate. Sure, it's Trans, and you don't make a zombie, but 20pts of additional damage?

RickAllison
2017-02-09, 01:31 PM
Cannot combine Metamagic, but it's Sorcerer spell at least. Also, 7d8+30 or 13d6+40? 64.5 vs 85.5 from Disintegrate. Sure, it's Trans, and you don't make a zombie, but 20pts of additional damage?

I was more meaning Twinned or Subtle Metamagic. Twinned would be for doubling up in an open engagement, while Subtle would be better for recruiting zombies when people might not appreciate it. It is the only useful way I have found for Sorcerer to help with necromancy. Well, you could use Twinned Animate Dead and/or converting your 1st and 2nd slots to 3rd to build up your undead army faster than an ordinary necromancer, but those aren't great options. Hmmm...

With Finger of Death, you can have up to four castings of the spell, depending on level, and you can convert plenty of slots over for Twinning them, meaning you have 2 to 8 perma-zombies per day. Of course, you have to find people consistently for that, which could prove a problem. When they die, use the other zombies to strip their flesh and Animate the skeletons, or make other undead with Create if you don't think you need more perma-zombies.

Asmotherion
2017-02-09, 01:53 PM
Well, a couple levels of Warlock are going to make your Eldritch Blast more awesome, and at the same time you don't anything special on Sorcerer.

Now, Hex is a 1st level spell, and part of the damage you deal with Eldritch Blast is from Hex, which quallyfies for Grim Harvest of the Necromancy School of magic in Wizard. Benefits are minimal (2 Hp) but are not Temporary, so they stack with each other. Also very theumatic, since it deals necrotic damage.

Were I'm getting at is that you can build this by using the best of 3 worlds, if you are willing to sacrifice spell progression. It's something I thought on-the-spot, and definitelly not optimised, but I'm gonna throw the idea, just in case. The progression goes like this:

Sorcerer 1/Warlock 2/Sorcerer 2/Warlock 1/Wizard (Necromancer) X.

I am a bit off-topic here, I aknowlage that.