PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 5e, kobold moon druid & martial adept. critique my logic?

Tetrasodium
2017-02-09, 11:04 AM
a kobold gets pack tactics (gain advantage on attacks if ally within 5' of target) allowing them to have advantage with beast forms that don't normally have it (ie bears/big cats/etc) & almost all of those forms for a level 2 moon druid have a +3-4 strength or dex bonus for a dc 13-14 on martial adept's maneuvers potentially allowing them to do things like be a bear that adds a dc14 trip (for huge & larger!) to its attack each round it attacks mauls something making it seem like a really good feat and choice for a kobold moon druid; but that still leaves the second maneuver choice.

Commanders strike seems like a pretty iffy option since forms like bears with multiattack have 2d6+4/1d8+4 bite/claw attacks starting at level2, but it could be useful to let a raging barbarian or something get in an extra attack each round?

Disarming attack seems great if your party fights a lot of humanoid things that come bearing arms since you can force a dc14 strength saving throw to disarm things you attack & really hurt their damage output when it fails?

Evasive footwork giving +d8 against attacks of opportunity seems great for charging forms, but with trip attack, those are not quite as useful by virtue of being able to do a knockdown on one attack each round without needing to move

Feinting attack lets you gain advantage next round, but you probably already have that as a kobold as long as one other player is within 5' of the target. Probably a poor choice?

Goading attack lets you put the target at disadvantage on attacks that doen't attack you till trhe end of your next turn. Potentially great o help protect allies & reduce damage hitting the group if being a large size bear knocking them down repeatedly isn't enough; but if the trips aren't enough, there are probably other problems?

Lunging attack lets you make a melee attack that has an extra 5' reach. could be useful to hit a caster protected by a guard in the next square... but probably not so much practical use when you can just move 5ft?

Maneuvering attack lets you allow an ally to move half it's speed without risking AoO's. might be useful for letting someone back off when injured,probably less often that an extra 5' would be useful for getting someone into range?... overall usefulness seems iffy?

Menacing attack Lets face it, an angry bear is a scary thing. this could let youput the target at disadvantage when attacking you& keep it from moving closer if you need to back off to save a form?

Parry, reduce your damage by d8+dex mod, but forms like spider & most of the cats have a good +2-3 dex mod along with lower hp than the bear... The spider has web on a 5-6 recharge & spiderclimb/wall walker making it seem like a potentially good choice?

Precision attack lets you add a d8 to your tohit, great at first glance, but you probably are already rolling with advantage & if advantage+3-4 or better isn't enough, adding a d8 probably won't be the thing your missing all that often?

Pushing attack lets you move a target 5'. could be useful for knocking things into damage fields/off cliffs/etc... but seems situational to the party?

Rally lets you add d8+charisma temp hp to an ally... sounds neat until you look at the charisma on beast forms that will be making it d8-2 or worse... potentially cool, but probably soso?

Riposte lets you make one melee attack against a target if it misses you & you haven't already used your superiority die. Potentially interesting?

Sweeping attack lets you deal d8 damage to some other target within 5' of the target you decided not to trip if your original attack roll is enough to hit? Not bad, but I'm not sure how useful it would really be?

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-02-09, 12:08 PM
Wild Shape Forms keeps the users INT, WIS, and CHA.

So if you want rally, you can have it :smallcool:

Zene
2017-02-09, 12:35 PM
Some forms have attacks you *really* want to hit with; like a charge attack or the giant toad's grapple-on-hit. If you think you'll ever take one of those forms, I'd say precision.

Zene
2017-02-09, 12:39 PM
Also, remember martial adept is pne use per short rest. I'd argue it's probably less useful than sentinel, lucky, alert, mobile, maybe even mage slayer

Tetrasodium
2017-02-09, 01:34 PM
Also, remember martial adept is pne use per short rest. I'd argue it's probably less useful than sentinel, lucky, alert, mobile, maybe even mage slayer

Thanks! That was the bit I missed between "huh, wtf are battle master manuvers" & "ooohh... these are much too cool..."