PDA

View Full Version : Summoner Cleric

Renx
2007-07-22, 07:19 AM
Last fall, I made a Cleric who liked summons for a game, which seems to be kinda dead now, so I guess no one'd mind if I post it here and see how badly I did :P

10th level, Forgotten Realms, pretty much anything goes as long as the DM ok's it (so within reason). I'm using the Crystal Keep spell lists, if that matters.

My version:
Human 9Cleric/1Ftr (don't ask)
Deity Istishtia (the Water Lord)
Water+Travel domains (teleport, fly, dimension door, ice storm)

Feats: (2 + 3 + 1ftr)
Able Learner (all skills class)
Augment Summons (+4 str/con for summons)
Superior Summoning (full HP, ie 3d+4 mob has 28 hp, also some elemental resists and SR)
Empowered Turning
Track
Blindfight (fighter extra feat)

First thing I'd fix about this would be the Fighter level. Then metamagics for summons, maybe go for persistence (24h summons... droooool). Any ideas for prestige classes?

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-22, 07:44 AM
Why do you have Track or Blindfight? You could easily lose those.

Insert Name Here
2007-07-22, 07:49 AM
Which Book is superior summoning in?
Also, persistent spell doesn't seem like such a good idea, mostly because the most up-to-date summons are fairly weak without the +6 spell level adjustment. Extend might work, though.

Renx
2007-07-22, 07:49 AM
Blindfight is my free fighter feat, just took track because we didn't have a proper skillmonkey and didn't find anything else I really wanted. True, that'd be one I'd fix... but with what? ;)

...the most up-to-date summons are fairly weak without the +6 spell level adjustment. Extend might work, though.

Not with divine metamagic to use turn attempts for persistent spell...

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-22, 08:05 AM
My suggestion: Drop Track, Able Learner, and Blindfight(along with the fighter level). Pick up Domain Spontaneity and Domain Focus to replace them. Then pick a new God. Lets go with Trithereon from Comp. Div. He has the Summoner Domain.

You have just made a Summoner Cleric.

Later on, pick up Extend Spell, Divine Metamagic: Extend, and waste the rest on Extra Turning. Persistant is pointless. You'd have to waste more spell slots to heal the animal. Just stick with summoning replacements.

Renx
2007-07-22, 08:13 AM
Hmm... what does +CL do to summon spells?

/* Edit1: Ah, of course, extended duration. Nvm */

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-22, 08:19 AM
It helps for when you don't have Extend Spell.

Jimp
2007-07-22, 10:37 AM
Also, if you're taking Augment Summoning you will need Spell Focus: Conjuration too, since it's a perquisite.

Renegade Paladin
2007-07-22, 10:40 AM
My suggestion: Drop Track, Able Learner, and Blindfight(along with the fighter level). Pick up Domain Spontaneity and Domain Focus to replace them. Then pick a new God. Lets go with Trithereon from Comp. Div. He has the Summoner Domain.
Last I checked, Tritherion wasn't in any of the pantheons of Faerun, and is therefore right out in regards to the campaign he was playing in. Campaign setting rules count too if you're playing in that setting.

terror_drone
2007-07-22, 10:49 AM
If you have Complete Scoundrel go with the Malconvoker as a PrC. Its a good/neutral who summons fiends but all his summons get a massive boost. Also with it you never have to Metamagic your summons as they are almost all more powerful without them.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-22, 11:06 AM
You might want to go for Scribe Scroll so you can have a larger supply of summons.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-07-22, 11:07 AM
Since you are dropping the fighter level consider using the Clericist variant class and pick up Bardic knowledge and those extra skill points. Lose Track and Blind sensing.

If you really want that level of Fighter consider taking a level of Warblade instead TBoNS.

Consider taking the +0 LA Planetouched template for the +2 to Char and +2 to Wisdom since it is an opton in the PGtF and you are playing in a FRCS it will also give your PC Darkvision.

Consider taking one or two flaws for extra useful feats like Improved Inititative or Leadership or Mercantile Background (New improved feat in PGtF) or taking a feat like God Sightfrom LEoF is nice with a planar template or something like Spellfire Wielder MoF.

Don't forget Divine Metamagic if it is available (Persisted Fast Healing 1 or something better)

Clericist -5 (UA/D20 SRD variant), Elemental Archon -2 F&P), Thaumaturgist -3 (DMG)

3 levels in the Thaumaturgist PRC since it requires being able to cast lesser planar ally and you pick up something at every level and 2 levels in Elemental Archon because it gives you something prepring for Thaumaturgist but you lose a caster level taking the third level.

Renx
2007-07-22, 02:12 PM
Hmm... where can I find those flaws and templates?

CASTLEMIKE
2007-07-22, 02:22 PM
You can find the flaws in Unearthed Arcana and D20 Hypertext SRD or other SRD. You can normally take one or two flaws to get corresponding bonus feats.

Planetouched +0 LA Template is is the Player's Guide to Faerun. Basically a slightly tweaked down Aasimar or Tiefling without all the spell immunities.

Renx
2007-07-22, 02:58 PM
Where in PgtF? Can't seem to find it.

/* Edit1: I found a mention of 'lesser planetouched' but that only says you can be a human "with the planetouched subtype". Can't find the actual subtype anywhere */