PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Player usable Multiheaded Template Balancing

Aggressive_Pear
2017-02-09, 03:44 PM
Hi there Hill,

I've made a template for my GM who wanted a template that gives more options than the Savage species template that gives you more than one head. I've been toying with it for a while and would like some feedback on the special attacks. The DM doesn't like high LA or CR templates, so rather than saying buff the Level Adjustment, some sort of nerf on the part of it's abilites would help. If you see any typos or anything else that would also help to point those out.

Here it is:

"Multiheaded" is a template that can be added to any corporeal creature with a single discernible head. (Special Attacks are determined by head type in these cases.) Up to seven heads may be added to a base creature, based on the table below. Multiheaded creatures use all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted below.
Medium or smaller: 2 total heads maximum
Large or huge: 5 total heads maximum
Gargantuan or bigger: 8 total heads maximum

Type/Size: If animal, change to magical beast, otherwise unchanged. Size unchanged.
Hit Dice: Same as base creature.
AC: Increase natural armor by +1 per two additional heads (minimum one). A base creature without natural armor is assumed to have natural armor of 0.
Attack: Creatures with bite or gore attacks gain one additional bite or gore attack per additional head. Creatures with multiple breath weapons can use all breath weapons as one action, though the damage does not stack. Instead, the DC to avoid the effects of the breath weapon go up by 2 for every breath used at the same time. Breath weapons used at the same must affect the same area.
Special Attacks: Choose one of the following; If Gargantuan or bigger, pick two. This choice is permanent and cannot be changed later:

Dual Wielding (Ex): Base creatures who are proficient with weapons gain Superior Two-Weapon Fighting. This feat allows them to use an amount of weapons equal to the number of heads of the modified creature without any penalty to attack or off-hand damage. All weapons affected are not considered off hand weapons. This does not grant any additional attacks.

Dual Senses (Ex): Multiheaded creatures with at least two heads deny the +2 bonus on attack from flanking (but can still be flanked). If they have at least four heads, they cannot be flanked at all.

Dual Action (Ex): If the base creature have at least two heads, it can perform a physical action and a single mental or vocal action in the same action. It can use psionics, or spells with the no somatic component with its extra action. Alternatively, the creature can get an extra attack at its highest attack bonus as part of the action instead. This stacks with haste and other similar effects. No matter how many heads it has the base creature can't get more than one Dual Action a round.

Dual Concentration (Ex): Base creatures who have an intelligence score above 2 and the ability to use the concentration skill gain Dual Concentration. This ability allows them to keep concentration on many spells at once, maintain psionic focus more than once, and similar abilities that require the use of the concentration skill. The amount of combined concentrating tasks can not be above the number of heads of the modified creature. This does not allow multiple spells, powers, or similar abilities to be cast beyond limitations, though a spell may be cast while another head is concentrating. This does not allow multiple concentration checks for the same reason.

Better Heads (Ex): Increase the damage of all bite and head based gore attacks of the base creature by one size category. This damage increase does not count towards a size bigger than colossal and does not stack with the feat Improved Natural Attack. Decrease the number of days needed to regrow a head by two days.

Special Qualities: Multiheaded creatures have darkvision out to 90 ft.

A multiheaded creature that has at least one head remaining is considered alive. At the rate of one head every five days, any lost heads regrow with all properties including memories, attacks, and other abilities. Heads do not grow simultaneously, and they grow back where they were originally attached.

Saves: Same as base creature.
Abilities: Base creature's Constitution is increased by +2 for the first head gained, and +2 for every odd numbered additional head thereafter.
Skills: Each additional head grants the creature a +2 bonus to Listen, Search and Spot checks.
Feats: Base creatures with a bite attack gain Weapon Focus (bite) as a bonus feat.
Climate/Terrain: Same as base creature
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating:
Base creature is Medium or smaller: +1
Base creature is Large or Huge: +2
Base Creature is larger than Huge: +3
+1 additional per head-based special attack of base creature (ie: Gore attack, breath weapon, bite attack, swallow whole, etc.) +1 if base creature has access to power points, psi like abilites, spells, or spell like abilities and chose Dual Concentration or Dual Action as a special ability.

Treasure: As base creature.
Level Adjustment: As Challenge Rating.

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Debihuman
2017-02-10, 07:41 AM
Your Template looks pretty balanced. I'm lazy; I just use Owen K. C. Stephen's old Template but I'm not sure if this is the same as the one in Savage Species.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20020621a

Having more heads should also grant All-Around Vision.

All-Around Vision (Ex): A multiheaded creature's extra eyes gives it a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks. [See Xorn for language]

Shouldn't all the Special abilities in your Template be (Ex)?

Debby

Aggressive_Pear
2017-02-10, 02:05 PM
Your Template looks pretty balanced. I'm lazy; I just use Owen K. C. Stephen's old Template but I'm not sure if this is the same as the one in Savage Species.

Having more heads should also grant All-Around Vision.

All-Around Vision (Ex): A multiheaded creature's extra eyes gives it a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks. [See Xorn for language]

Shouldn't all the Special abilities in your Template be (Ex)?

Debby

Yeah, I forgot to grab the Ex from the copy paste. Thanks for that.

The "Each additional head grants the creature a +2 bonus to Listen, Search and Spot checks." under the skills section is the All around vision.

It looks about the same as SS, but it isn't usable in 3.5 since there are no more Lernaean creatures, ones who have an invulnerable body.

Debihuman
2017-02-11, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I forgot to grab the Ex from the copy paste. Thanks for that.

The "Each additional head grants the creature a +2 bonus to Listen, Search and Spot checks." under the skills section is the All around vision.

It looks about the same as SS, but it isn't usable in 3.5 since there are no more Lernaean creatures, ones who have an invulnerable body.

Of course there are Lernean creatures. It's a sub-part of the Multi-Headed template in Savage Species. 3.5 Didn't remove it per se. You still need to update it to 3.5 but it could be added to any multi-headed creature. I don't see the reason for removing it. It's a shame Savage Species never made a 3.5 update but honestly, it's not hard to convert things to 3.5.

Lernaean Creatures
These multiheaded creatures have bodies that are immune to attack (but see below). The only way to slay a Lernaean creature is to sever all its heads. However, each time a head is severed, two new heads spring from the stump in 1d4 rounds. A Lernaean creature may never have more than twice its original number of heads; any heads it gains beyond that number wither and die within a day.

To prevent a severed head from growing back into two, at least 5 points of fire or acid damage must be dealt to the stump (AC 19) before the new heads appear. Spells such as disintegrate, finger of death, and slay living kill a Lernaean creature if they succeed. If the spell deals damage on a successful save, that damage is directed against one of the creature’s heads.

A Lernaean creature has an additional +2 level adjustment.

Debby