PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Vampire + Life Oracle = Profit???

JKTrickster
2017-02-09, 07:32 PM
Hey guys! I have an interesting dilemma.

I'm currently applying to a Pathfinder game - it is a solo game where my PC (and everyone else) is a vampire.

Long story short, my PC is a level 5 character that was recently given the "gift" of being a vampire - most of the game will be about trying to survive in a Vampire Court, dealing with other Vampires, etc. etc.

I wanted to roll up an Oracle character. While I was looking at the different mysteries, I saw the Life Mystery.

Is there any reason why a Vampire couldn't choose the Life Mystery? Would it go from "Healing is the Best" to "Life Oracle McVampire Killer"? Assuming I grab the Selective Channeling feat and really optimize "healing" - would it become a strange type of "Vampire Killer" build?

Or is this just a really bad idea?

Jack_Simth
2017-02-09, 07:57 PM
Hey guys! I have an interesting dilemma.

I'm currently applying to a Pathfinder game - it is a solo game where my PC (and everyone else) is a vampire.

Long story short, my PC is a level 5 character that was recently given the "gift" of being a vampire - most of the game will be about trying to survive in a Vampire Court, dealing with other Vampires, etc. etc.

I wanted to roll up an Oracle character. While I was looking at the different mysteries, I saw the Life Mystery.

Is there any reason why a Vampire couldn't choose the Life Mystery? Would it go from "Healing is the Best" to "Life Oracle McVampire Killer"? Assuming I grab the Selective Channeling feat and really optimize "healing" - would it become a strange type of "Vampire Killer" build?

Or is this just a really bad idea?

You'll vaporize mooks, but... Channeling in Pathfinder is xd6, where x is generally 1/2 your level round up. Additionally, Undead in Pathfinder get Charisma to HP, so the vampires are not fragile.

Or to put this another way:
You're 5th level, and want to one-round a 5th level Vampire with a Charisma mod of 5 (14 base, +2 enhance, +4 template = Cha 20 for a +5 mod - easy peasy). This vamp has 4.5*5 + 5*5 = 47.5 HP. Can you do it with channel energy assuming that the target fails the save(s) (NOT a given, especially with the +4 channel resistance)?

Basic channeling is 3d6 = 10.5 damage.
Channel Surge puts that up to about 16 damage.
Blazing channel sets them on fire (sort of) for an extra 1d6/round (avg 3.5).
That's a grand total of 19.5 damage this round. Not even half way there.
Compare a Wizard throwing a Fireball: 5d6 damage averages 17.5, and that's with almost no investment.
You're on your own (most probably) in this fight, so you're liable to have issues.

You may wish to consider something more like Intrigue (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/mysteries/paizo---oracle-mysteries/intrigue-oracle-mystery).

JKTrickster
2017-02-09, 08:33 PM
I was actually thinking about all of the fancy revelations that boost the Cure spells:

Combat Healer

Enhanced Cures

Safe Curing

Means I don't provoke any AoOs for casting healing spells, I can cast up to two in a single round and they scale with my total level. I'm sure there's more that I can add to optimize that, right?

Channeling would be nice for clearing mooks, but I feel like straight up positive energy is not something most Vampire enemies will expect from their newly turned... "friend".

Also what happens when a Vampire uses the Energy Body revelation? Does the vampire die? How does a vampire become a being of "Pure life energy"? :smallconfused:

Psyren
2017-02-10, 06:14 AM
I was actually thinking about all of the fancy revelations that boost the Cure spells:

Combat Healer

Enhanced Cures

Safe Curing

Combat Healer works, but the the other two specify healing hit point damage; they likely won't work when used to damage undead by RAW. If you were fighting undead as a living party I'd say they'd be worth it, but with everyone else in the party including yourself undead too, they may end up wasted.

Calthropstu
2017-02-10, 08:19 AM
Hmmm, that might be an interesting tactic.

To use the example from earlier (45 hp), 3d8 + 5 (lvl 3 cure spell, unaugmented) will do a total of 4.5*3 + 5 (18.5 damage)

Being able to cast that twice in a round would mean almost one rounding a lvl 5 vampire with 20 charisma. If he had 3 or more less charisma, it actually would be a 1 round shot. It would cost you 3 level 3 spells to do it though. You'd be going through spells like mad with that setup. But yeah, after it happened once, the other vampires would take you as a credible threat.

JKTrickster
2017-02-10, 03:29 PM
Hmmm, that might be an interesting tactic.

To use the example from earlier (45 hp), 3d8 + 5 (lvl 3 cure spell, unaugmented) will do a total of 4.5*3 + 5 (18.5 damage)

Being able to cast that twice in a round would mean almost one rounding a lvl 5 vampire with 20 charisma. If he had 3 or more less charisma, it actually would be a 1 round shot. It would cost you 3 level 3 spells to do it though. You'd be going through spells like mad with that setup. But yeah, after it happened once, the other vampires would take you as a credible threat.

That's exactly what I was thinking! Might as well if I'm going to get the Cure spells for free anyway!

Combat Healer works, but the the other two specify healing hit point damage; they likely won't work when used to damage undead by RAW. If you were fighting undead as a living party I'd say they'd be worth it, but with everyone else in the party including yourself undead too, they may end up wasted.

Hmm I will have to ask to make sure then. But hopefully this works.

~~~

Furthermore, I think going Aasimar is really strong for this option. If I use the FCB (+1/2 to Oracle level for 1 revelation), I can really boost the Channel Energy ability.

It really boosts the DC and the Damage over the long run!

And then I can also take the Channel Force feat and add a little CC to my damage!

How does that sound?

Psyren
2017-02-10, 04:39 PM
If your GM rules these all work then yeah, it becomes a pretty decent means of blasting, and you tough enough in melee to pull it off. But by RAW they likely don't.

grarrrg
2017-02-10, 07:48 PM
Furthermore, I think going Aasimar is really strong for this option. If I use the FCB (+1/2 to Oracle level for 1 revelation), I can really boost the Channel Energy ability.

That FCB (and other similar FCBs) got errata-nerfed down to 1/6 per level. Taking the fast train from "pretty handy" to "why bother?".

If your DM still allows the +1/2 version then go for it.

JKTrickster
2017-02-10, 10:02 PM
If your GM rules these all work then yeah, it becomes a pretty decent means of blasting, and you tough enough in melee to pull it off. But by RAW they likely don't.

The best part is that it'll finally put those Cure spells I get for free to good use!

Ah I hope it is allowed though. It's a pretty indirect way of dealing damage (and only against Undead too!)

That FCB (and other similar FCBs) got errata-nerfed down to 1/6 per level. Taking the fast train from "pretty handy" to "why bother?".

If your DM still allows the +1/2 version then go for it.

Huh? Where??? :smallconfused:

Please no :smallfrown:

grarrrg
2017-02-11, 12:38 AM
Also what happens when a Vampire uses the Energy Body revelation? Does the vampire die? How does a vampire become a being of "Pure life energy"? :smallconfused:

You'd be fine, as most of "...transform your body into pure life energy, resembling a golden-white fire elemental. In this form, you gain the elemental subtype and give off a warm, welcoming light..." is fluff/non-issue, as "pure life energy" isn't a game-defined thing.
The only questionable part for you would be the "You may use this ability to heal yourself as a move action." It isn't stated to be 'Positive Energy', but it is implied. Strictly as written, you are OK to use it to heal yourself.

Huh? Where??? :smallconfused:

Please no :smallfrown:

I believe it was the Advanced Race Guide that made that change.

JKTrickster
2017-02-11, 01:43 AM
Ah that really sucks. I guess that's what I get for using Handbooks that aren't kept up to date! :smallsigh:

Yeah that's what I'm wondering about Energy Body revelation. It would be quite funny (not funny, but you know what I mean) if I would be killing myself with every Move Action.

As a side note, does gaseous form protect a Vampire from direct sunlight? Does a Vampire still die in gaseous form if it is exposed to direct sunlight?

Jack_Simth
2017-02-11, 11:50 AM
As a side note, does gaseous form protect a Vampire from direct sunlight? Does a Vampire still die in gaseous form if it is exposed to direct sunlight?Gaseous Vampire still gets destroyed by direct sunlight or immersion in running water; recoils from garlic, mirrors, and holy symbols; and stays out of homes they're not invited into. Nothing in the gaseous form ability of the vampire, nor the gaseous form spell, contradicts any of the standard Vampire weaknesses.

JKTrickster
2017-02-11, 11:38 PM
Hmm I can understand how Gas can be hit by direct sunlight.

But how can gas be submerged in water? :smallconfused:

Calthropstu
2017-02-12, 10:01 AM
Hmm I can understand how Gas can be hit by direct sunlight.

But how can gas be submerged in water? :smallconfused:

Go diving.

Fart.

Edit: In game terms if the vampire were planeshifted to the elemental plane of water, it might spell instant death. In other ways, if it were inside an underwater temple that had whatever was protecting it from the water disabled or if it were in a contraption like a submarine and it was destroyed it could run afoul of this.

JKTrickster
2017-02-12, 07:35 PM
Go diving.

Fart.

I died. :smallbiggrin: