PDA

View Full Version : Making new base class for 3.5 for homebrew campaign

Yvhv Weide
2017-02-09, 07:41 PM
So im in the process of setting up a homebrew campaign, and my players have asked me if i would be willing to come up with a new class or two. For them to try out.(my players love to try new things,as do i.) so here i am. I have an idea for two or three new base classes but im not entirely sure on how exactly do get the ideas i have to work mechanically.

One such idea is the idea of the harlequin (yes, you read right, harlequin. Like 40k harlequin) base class. Now i realize there is already a psionic warrior, a psionic rogue variant and possibly a psionic bard already in existance.

This class i wish to make is to be something of either a self buffing and single target debuffing character OR a single target murder machine that can do a little support for the party.

The class inquestion IS psionic but their powers are gifted by a deity (so...a divine psionic class...maybe like divine mind?)

I know that the key abilites for this class in order of importance would most likely be Int, for the psionic powers, dex, and Str (better melee damage)

They can use only light armor, as some of their abilities cannot be used when weighed down, and they can use simple and martial weapons.

This is what i have so far as a basis. A little note- this class is Fluff wise supoised to be like a religous psion that somehow brings the wrath of their god down to the battlefield and somehow eventually obtains the power to wear a "masque" that lets them channel the will of their god directly into themselves and gain a power or spell like ability granted by their god based on whom the god is. Whether to implement this throughout the class or make it a single isntance is a choice i havent yet made. Im open to opinions and ideas. Thanks.

aimlessPolymath
2017-02-09, 08:17 PM
One good place to start would be how you see the class functioning.
Do you want it to be an actual manifester (in which case you'd need to put together a class power list linked to whatever themes you want for the class), or would you like to have it function mostly through class features like the soulknife? The second one is less versatile but more focused, usually- if power use isn't a major focus of the class, it's a good choice.

It sounds like you've put some thought into this- what are the abilities you've thought of? What ideas do you want us to lay out mechanically?

Example:
Masque: A $CLASSNAME can draw upon the power of a deity through symbolically associating himself with one(or whatever explanation you prefer). By putting on a mask representing a deity as a move action, they gain the ability to expend a use of $CLASS_FEATURE to replicate a spell from one of that deities' domains. The spell must be of level $BALANCE_POINT or below.

To create a mask to use with this class feature, a $CLASSNAME must spend at least four hours in work, expending 10 gp in paints and material, as well as a holy symbol of the deity in question.

Yvhv Weide
2017-02-09, 10:45 PM
One good place to start would be how you see the class functioning.
Do you want it to be an actual manifester (in which case you'd need to put together a class power list linked to whatever themes you want for the class), or would you like to have it function mostly through class features like the soulknife? The second one is less versatile but more focused, usually- if power use isn't a major focus of the class, it's a good choice.

It sounds like you've put some thought into this- what are the abilities you've thought of? What ideas do you want us to lay out mechanically?

Example:
Masque: A $CLASSNAME can draw upon the power of a deity through symbolically associating himself with one(or whatever explanation you prefer). By putting on a mask representing a deity as a move action, they gain the ability to expend a use of $CLASS_FEATURE to replicate a spell from one of that deities' domains. The spell must be of level $BALANCE_POINT or below.

To create a mask to use with this class feature, a $CLASSNAME must spend at least four hours in work, expending 10 gp in paints and material, as well as a holy symbol of the deity in question.

Something along the lines of a soul knife, that has a few manifest like abilities. Like say an ability at 3rd level that allows them to create a mirror image of themselves using psionic power that mirrors their movements and such but cant deal damage. As they advance say every 3 levels, the number of images increases to a max of 5 or 6 by 20th level and maybe the mirror images last 1d(insert die)+int mod longer than the previous level.

At say 5th level and every 5 levels after that, they can create illusions of their allies that at first start out fairly simple but as you progress this ability the lillusions get more and more complex and can act as the allies would, based upon x skill check or maybe with x+(int mod) or x+(1/2 manifest/class level+ int mod) as a savivg throw to not be affected.

As the masque thing goes i like your idea. And imstead of spells they are treated as psi/spell like abilities(which ever one). And say your first masque at 1st level gives you access to only the first level spell in that domain list. So at 1st level if you have a deity with the fire domain then you gain only burning hands as a useable ability. Then at say 4th level you get the second level. Then at 7th level you get the third, and so on and so forth. And the more time and more expensive materials you spend on a more intricate mask allows for more uses and longer use time of that masque.

Another power/ability idea i have is something like maybe a dazzling ability that creates a moving flows of color around the user that disorients a foe and makes it harder to hit the user

Maybe a power that lets them break into their enemies minds while distracted dazed or confused that allows the user to wear a "masque" that lets them assume the visage of whatever scares the target and inflict a daze or fear effect.

Most generally, stuff that is used to confuse and disorient the enemy, and possibly that could benefit the party and the user, that dazes stuns or other wise incapacitates the foe, and the harlequin then uses that state on the foe to their advantage. Maybe demoralizing a group of enemies by making a show of one of their own? There is one thing id love to try to borrow from 40k, which is a thing called the harlequin's kiss. In 40k its a little lovely device that contains nanofilament wires that turn the internals of a foe to puree.

For dnd i was thinking maybe make it a psionic ability of this class, its a later end power, it requires the foe must be dazed or stunned, succeed a grapple check, and instead of an insta kill, it deals xdx damage based on dex/int.

aimlessPolymath
2017-02-10, 12:42 AM
Flexing my homebrewing muscles while I avoid homework:

Copying themselves:
Deceptive Dance: Starting at $LEVEL level, the $CLASS_NAME can fracture her image into many, producing a number of images equal to $BALANCE_POINT as a standard; this functions as mirror image, except for the number of images produced. As she moves, she can choose to have any number of images split off from her, moving out of her square. They continue to move even after splitting off; whenever she moves any distance, she can direct any images not currently traveling with her to continue moving using her speed. If they move into her square, she can have them rejoin her, providing their original benefits

Images split off from the $CLASS_NAME behave as though they were a mirror image cast on nobody; there is no chance of hitting the real person, but one image disperses every time the images are attacked, and they behave normally against area attacks. As a free action, the $CLASS_NAME can direct any number of images split off to make attacks; however, if not directed to automatically miss, they disappear upon hitting the touch AC of the target.

Creating illusions of their allies:
Masked Deceptions: Starting at $LEVEL level, the $CLASS_NAME can disguise himself, as disguise self at will as a free action. They may also change the appearance of his images similarly, causing them to appear to be someone else. However, a $CLASS_NAME can only control a limited number of illusions outside their own turn; as a swift action, they may choose up to $BALANCE_POINT images to control outside her own turn, selecting an initiative count for them to act upon.

Surrounding themselves with flows of colors:
Dance of the Fireflies: Starting at $LEVEL level, the $CLASS_NAME can as a swift action surround herself with color for one round. While this is active, she gains the benefit of blur. While this is active, anyone they hit with an attack is automatically dazzled for one round.

Dazing, stuns, and incapacitation are all very powerful abilities which can effectively end an encounter. Getting there is much harder than benefiting from it.

$NAME_NEEDED: As a full-round action while adjacent to a dazed, stunned, or otherwise unable to act foe, the $CLASS_NAME can request something from them by taking advantage of their state. This functions as suggestion, except that the target is staggered for the duration of the effect.

Group demoralizing:
You can pull language from Dazzling Display (pathfinder feat).

Harlequin's Kiss:
Looks like you have an idea already.

One good class which has similar-but-not-identical abilites is the Indigo Trickster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?199905-3-5-Indigo-Trickster-(PEACH)). Do you think your players would enjoy that class?

I based the masque ability on the last paragraph of your first post- feel free to adjust it. It's missing a pool of power to draw from.

Yvhv Weide
2017-02-10, 11:49 AM
Oh wow!! Thanks alot! This was a great help!