PDA

View Full Version : Mirage Arcane explanation

Provo
2017-02-09, 09:34 PM
The spell mirage arcane creates illusions that you can see, hear, taste, smell, and feel. You can interact with them such as in the given example of picking up a rock.

So is there some sort of real component to them? If you tried to cross a mirage arcane bridge, would you fall through, or would it support you?

I would tend to think the first option, but I would like feedback.

Cybren
2017-02-09, 09:42 PM
Why would you fall through? You can physically interact with the illusion. That includes walking on it. In fact, the spell explicitly calls attention to walking on it, mentioning you can turn difficult terrain into normal and vice-versa

Puh Laden
2017-02-09, 09:43 PM
It would support you. The mirage is an "illusion" but it's solid, enough so to be able to create difficult terrain.

Provo
2017-02-09, 09:52 PM
Why would you fall through? You can physically interact with the illusion. That includes walking on it. In fact, the spell explicitly calls attention to walking on it, mentioning you can turn difficult terrain into normal and vice-versa

That's a good point, but it is an illusion. So a tactile illusion would be if you feel something that is not there. By that logic, if you reach out and touch the bridge, it would feel secure because the illusion is so convincing. But as soon as you put your weight on it, you fall through and discover it wasn't real.

Similarly, the ground would be difficult terrain and slow you down because your mind is so convinced that there are rocks/bushes/etc. that you are pushing through.

Perhaps the spell really does create things that can support your weight and such (like an illusionist wizard with shadow magic), but then it's not really a tactile illusion. It is more of a conjuration spell.

Provo
2017-02-09, 09:55 PM
And if the consensus is that it can support you, then great. I feel like this is an awesome spell either way. I just want to make sure I use it properly.

(As a DM, I'd like the BBEG to use it)

JellyPooga
2017-02-09, 10:14 PM
It's an odd spell.

The changes to terrain are limited to "the general shape" of the original, but there appears to be no limit to the magnitude of any structures you create. Need a mile wide bridge over the Chasm of Doom? Mirage Arcane has you covered. Want a castle for 10 days? You got it.

There's also some ambiguity over what can or can't be removed and what happens when it reappears. If a rock-slide blocks a ravine, for example, can you clear it with this spell? Similarly, what happens if you replace a large boulder with a house, someone enters the house and then the spell ends?