PDA

View Full Version : Horizon Walker Blink Striker idea

Keld Denar
2007-07-22, 09:51 AM
So, I had an interesting idea for a new character. I'm looking at the horizon walker pclass from the DMG. The shifting planar trait gives you the ability to dim door once every 1d4 rounds. That's very cool, but by no means rediculously cool. Since I'll be using a spiked chain and taking a level of Exotic Weapon Master to pick up the Flurry trick, I'm 90% sure that would qualify me to take the sun school feat from Complete Warrior to tack on a free attack at the end of every dim door. Sun School requires the flurry of blows ability to take. The other 2 manuvers from sun school would be wasted, because they specifically say unarmed attack, but the blink strike one does not.

The only thing that I'm slightly worried about is EWM give "flurry of strikes" and sun school requires "flurry of blows".

Any thoughts on whether this would be viable? Or any decent builds using this? I'm thinking something with fighter and barb, using the well read feat to take knowledge geo for HW plus barb and HW desert ability means never fatigued in combat again. Books allowed are core, completes, and races. No ToB or BoED or BoVD.

technomancer
2007-07-22, 06:42 PM
I had a psychic warrior who would often do a super-first strike using Sun School. I'd use like half of my power points for the day (deep impact, dimension door, and other things that increase damage or do extra effects on a landed hit), but I could seriously cramp the style of any BBEG from across the room. Your real advantage in this type of setup is mobility. When you charge, you only get one attack anyway (and a measly +2 to attack), so you can instead dimension door, lose the +2 attack, lose the -2 AC, and ignore intervening terrain.

If you work with a rogue, you can always be in the right place to flank, and not really lose an action for doing so.