PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Sub-Zero and frost how to make in 5e

Sariel Vailo
2017-02-10, 01:56 AM
So I wanted to do this one for a bit, I assumed monk of the four elements but it's not icy enough. I thought wizard but to spell heavy so what's a need to do.maybe dip or be a warlock and dip in monk 4,martial arts potentially.tell me what levels you thinkk would work

Monavic
2017-02-10, 08:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbuMViiyqBQ&list=PLTgwt_ewEFeNAXODD1IMU8fwTyFvmqIUk&index=75

I thought of this vid.

Specter
2017-02-10, 08:57 AM
Open Hand Monk/Arctic Druid. Reflavor the Grease spell to be ice. If your DM won't let you take that spell, then a Wiz/Sorc level.

Wild Shape of Polar Bear reserved for animalities, of course.

jaappleton
2017-02-10, 11:34 AM
Hmm... A homebrewed Sun Soul version of the Monk would be best, I think. 2 ki point to cast Grease. 2 Ki to cast Ice Knife as a bonus action. Radiant Sun Bolt is Cold. The 11th level ability needs to be Cold. And at lv17, you can cast Cone of Cold for 6 Ki.

Sariel Vailo
2017-02-10, 08:49 PM
Open Hand Monk/Arctic Druid. Reflavor the Grease spell to be ice. If your DM won't let you take that spell, then a Wiz/Sorc level.

Wild Shape of Polar Bear reserved for animalities, of course.

I like this idea some wizard stuff for babalities

Specter
2017-02-10, 09:01 PM
I like this idea some wizard stuff for babalities

To be efficient you need 5 levels in Monk and at least 2 in Druid, the rest is up to you. If you have a feat to spare, tske Elemental Adept. Good luck!

Davemeddlehed
2017-02-10, 10:12 PM
To be efficient you need 5 levels in Monk and at least 2 in Druid, the rest is up to you. If you have a feat to spare, tske Elemental Adept. Good luck!

Realistically OP needs at least 11 levels in Monk to make the martial arts do any kind of worthwhile damage. D6's all day aren't going to cut it at higher levels.

Davemeddlehed
2017-02-10, 10:15 PM
Open Hand Monk 12/Arctic Druid 8 so you don't miss out on ASI's(though if you wanted to you could go only 11/7 and pop into a third class for a dip).

Specter
2017-02-11, 09:14 AM
Realistically OP needs at least 11 levels in Monk to make the martial arts do any kind of worthwhile damage. D6's all day aren't going to cut it at higher levels.

First of all, raw monks are not good damage dealers. They are at best on par with unoptimized rogues and rangers. Their true gift is being skirmishers (hitting and running) and disturbers, stunning, tripping, reaching anyone on the battlefield and avoiding damage.

Then, even if this was about damage, you would want to get ahold of spells like Divine Favor and Hex to benefit from the several attacks monks can dish out. +1 dmg to all attacks at level 11 is not impressive

Davemeddlehed
2017-02-11, 11:10 PM
First of all, raw monks are not good damage dealers. They are at best on par with unoptimized rogues and rangers. Their true gift is being skirmishers (hitting and running) and disturbers, stunning, tripping, reaching anyone on the battlefield and avoiding damage.

Then, even if this was about damage, you would want to get ahold of spells like Divine Favor and Hex to benefit from the several attacks monks can dish out. +1 dmg to all attacks at level 11 is not impressive

They may not be Battlemaster/Paladin in terms of damage, but they can dish it out. That +1 damage is potentially +4, on top of the 12-16 from dex/str on those attacks. 4d8+12 is better damage than you're going to get out of a rogue or ranger straight up. Even if you throw in boons like booming blade on the rogue, or hunters mark on the ranger the damage is still comparable as is for the monk.

Assuming +3 dex across the board with a d8 weapon(or any monk weapon for the monk) at level 11:

4d8+12 averages out to 30 for the Monk
1d8+2d8+6d6+3 averages out to 37.5 for the Rogue with Booming Blade(without Booming Blade this drops to 28.5)
2d8+1d8+2d6+6+2 averages out to 28 for the Ranger with colossus slayer, hunters mark, and dueling fighting style.

Ranger gets a bump if there are more than 1 enemy standing next to one another.