PDA

View Full Version : Looking for more feats

Max Caysey
2017-02-10, 09:45 AM
Hi...

I have been looking around the net, trying to find god feats for my scimitar wielding rogue. He fight/fences with just that, so I have already found Einhander, but what else could be good? I havent been able to find any so far... Is it because there are none, or what?

Khedrac
2017-02-10, 10:17 AM
A lot depends how you fight (and einhander is usually regarded as a waste of a feat).

If you want to dance in and out of combat, then the spring attack line is for you.
If you want to go two handed then all those feats.
If the book is in play, then craven is the main feat recommended for sneak attack boosting.
Deadly Defense might be worth considering, but only if you hit often enough not to worry about the extra -2.

If you like tumbling around with a scimitar - check out the Dervish prestige class (and see if there is a guide for it).

If you can give more information people can make better suggestions.

Fizban
2017-02-10, 10:30 AM
Support in 3.5 for one handed builds is even lower than for shield builds, Einhander is basically it, and Einhander is terrible unless you want the free action feint-though being a Rogue means you might actually want it. Combat Expertise+Improved Feint is way more reliable than Einhander, but it costs two feats and requires int 13, so there's actually a reason you might stick with Einhander. You should also pick up the Acrobatic Backstab skill trick (Complete Scoundrel) when you can, since it gives you another feint-like ability while letting you attack the same turn.

Alternatively, the Scarlet Corsair prestige class (Stormwrack) gives you Improved Feint without having to meet the prerequisites, and the ability to do so as a free action every so often, as well as a hefty AC bonus on ships. Kinda have to be a pirate though.

If you're not trying to feint, I'd recommend Telling Blow (PHB2) instead, which combines with your scimitar's crit range by giving you sneak attack damage on critical hits without flanking or feinting. Then just grab Improved Crit when it becomes available or use a Keen weapon.

manyslayer
2017-02-10, 10:43 AM
If Pathfinder feats are allowed, Dervish Dance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dervish-dance-combat) grants Dex to damage with a single scimitar. Presumably the rogue's dex is better than strength.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-02-10, 10:49 AM
Hi...

I have been looking around the net, trying to find god feats for my scimitar wielding rogue. He fight/fences with just that, so I have already found Einhander, but what else could be good? I havent been able to find any so far... Is it because there are none, or what?
Pretty much. There's very little good that comes out of having an empty off-hand. You can check the feat guide in my signature, though.

Lormador
2017-02-10, 10:55 AM
3.5 really doesn't have a whole lot that supports this fighting style. Pathfinder improved things somewhat with the Dervish Dance feat.

If you cannot use that feat, you'll probably be better served by putting a weapon into your offhand somehow and using TWF, which is a classic and highly supported rogue fighting style. If the hand absolutely must be empty, how about using unarmed strikes?

There are loads of ways to get that, and it would solve your problem to some extent. If the problem is damage.

Fizban
2017-02-10, 11:01 AM
Heck, I'm always saying I've got a feat I made for this or that, why don't I just copy/paste first and not bother asking if anyone wants to see it? Here's my experimental One Weapon Fighting line:

One Weapon Fighting [General, Fighter]
Prerequisite: Dex 15
Benefit: Once per round when you successfully make an attack with a manufactured weapon wielded in one hand, you gain an extra attack at the same attack bonus. You may not use your other hand (or hands) to make attacks, use a shield (including animated shields), or operate a projectile weapon that requires two hands to fire (such as a bow) in the same round that you use this feat.
Special: if you have Improved Buckler Defense, you may use a buckler in conjunction with this feat. This feat may not be used in conjunction with Strike maneuvers that allow only a single attack.

Improved One Weapon Fighting [General, Fighter]
Prerequisites: Dex 17, One Weapon Fighting, BAB +6
Benefit: You may gain a second extra attack each round from your One Weapon Fighting feat.

Greater One Weapon Fighting [General, Fighter]
Prerequisites: Dex 19, One Weapon Fighting, Improved One Weapon Fighting, BAB +11
Benefit: You may gain a third extra attack each round from your One Weapon Fighting feat.

Perfect One Weapon Fighting [Epic]
Prerequisites: Dex 25, One Weapon Fighting, Improved One Weapon Fighting, Greater One Weapon Fighting
Benefit: You may use your One Weapon Fighting feat as many times per round as you have attacks (Ex: you have 4 attacks from BAB and 1 attack from a Haste spell, so you gain up to 5 extra attacks from your One Weapon Fighting feat). Each extra attack still requires you to meet the requirements for One Weapon Fighting before you can use it.
Absolutely untested. Definitely looks terrifying on paper, but I have a feeling that in practice it's a lot less scary. The natural worst-case expectation is that all those attacks are at maximum bonus, but between needing to actually roll attacks, miss chances, and other stuff, that's just not how it's going to go.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-10, 11:08 AM
Heck, I'm always saying I've got a feat I made for this or that, why don't I just copy/paste first and not bother asking if anyone wants to see it? Here's my experimental One Weapon Fighting line:

One Weapon Fighting [General, Fighter]
Prerequisite: Dex 15
Benefit: Once per round when you successfully make an attack with a manufactured weapon wielded in one hand, you gain an extra attack at the same attack bonus. You may not use your other hand (or hands) to make attacks, use a shield (including animated shields), or operate a projectile weapon that requires two hands to fire (such as a bow) in the same round that you use this feat.
Special: if you have Improved Buckler Defense, you may use a buckler in conjunction with this feat. This feat may not be used in conjunction with Strike maneuvers that allow only a single attack.

Improved One Weapon Fighting [General, Fighter]
Prerequisites: Dex 17, One Weapon Fighting, BAB +6
Benefit: You may gain a second extra attack each round from your One Weapon Fighting feat.

Greater One Weapon Fighting [General, Fighter]
Prerequisites: Dex 19, One Weapon Fighting, Improved One Weapon Fighting, BAB +11
Benefit: You may gain a third extra attack each round from your One Weapon Fighting feat.

Perfect One Weapon Fighting [Epic]
Prerequisites: Dex 25, One Weapon Fighting, Improved One Weapon Fighting, Greater One Weapon Fighting
Benefit: You may use your One Weapon Fighting feat as many times per round as you have attacks (Ex: you have 4 attacks from BAB and 1 attack from a Haste spell, so you gain up to 5 extra attacks from your One Weapon Fighting feat). Each extra attack still requires you to meet the requirements for One Weapon Fighting before you can use it.
Absolutely untested. Definitely looks terrifying on paper, but I have a feeling that in practice it's a lot less scary. The natural worst-case expectation is that all those attacks are at maximum bonus, but between needing to actually roll attacks, miss chances, and other stuff, that's just not how it's going to go.
Worst case scenario you end up with something like +11/+11/+11/+11/+6/+1 attack routines after taking GOWF. POWF is a bit trickier since as it's worded extra attacks can trigger more extra attacks until you happen to miss.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-02-10, 11:17 AM
I would be worried; these are a lot better than TWF, because
There's no attack penalty
You can use it on standard actions and AoOs right from the get-go
You only need one magic weapon
The aforementioned poor wording that would let you make all attacks at your full BAB, off a standard action.
I mean, I don't think they're really broken as such, because 3.5's balance level is such that "broken" is kind of a meaningless concept (especially for things like mundane attack damage), but the fact that they're so much better than the closest alternatives is worrysome.

If you were to go down that route, I'd try to pick a theme that doesn't overlap with TWF's storm-of-strikes motief. Perhaps the first feat gives you a dodge bonus to AC when not using your off-hand (2+1/4 BAB?), with follow-ups granting accelerated feinting and the ability to take extra five foot steps. Make it a mobile style, you know?

gorfnab
2017-02-10, 06:22 PM
Feats are a little hard to find for Einhander builds. There are two prestige classes that utilize this fighting style though, Duelist and Bladesinger (Races of Faerun).

Here is an Einhander build I came up with some time ago.

Human or Strongheart Halfling
1. Swashbuckler - Deadly Defense (CS), Combat Expertise, B: Weapon Finesse
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Decisive Strike (PHBII) Monk - B: Dodge
3. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - Carmendine Monk (CoV), B: Mobility
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander (PHBII)
10. Thief Acrobat or Warblade
11. Warblade or Duelist
12. Warblade or Duelist - Ironheart Aura (ToB)
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit (PHBII)
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Stormguard Warrior (ToB)
19. Duelist
20. Duelist

The Monk and Swashbuckler levels (levels 1 through 5) can be switched around to taste. I personally like Swash 1/ Monk 2/ Swash 2.

Levels 10 through 12 can be rearranged depending on your needs. The current setup gives you Improved Evasion and Uncanny Dodge at these levels. However if you don't need Improved Evasion take one less level of Thief Acrobat and move the first level of Warblade to level 10. If you don't need Uncanny Dodge don't take the 2nd level of Warblade and instead go into Duelist a level early. If you don't need either abilities take Warblade at level 10 and enter Duelist at level 11. You do need at least one level of Warblade for Ironheart Aura and Stormguard Warrior.

If flaws are available pick up EWP: Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv, pre-errata version if possible) or Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHBII) and Snap Kick (ToB) (may need to rearrange later feats). If traits are available pick up Cautious (UA).

Items:
Vest of Defense (MIC)
Bracers of Blocking (Dragon 322)
Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv) (pre-errata version if possible) or Rapier with the Defensive Surge (MIC) enhancement.

More fighting defensively tricks can be found here: A Short Guide to Defensive Fighting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?178445-A-short-guide-to-defensive-fighting)

Fizban
2017-02-10, 07:36 PM
Worst case scenario you end up with something like +11/+11/+11/+11/+6/+1 attack routines after taking GOWF. POWF is a bit trickier since as it's worded extra attacks can trigger more extra attacks until you happen to miss.
It has a limit method in the feat, worded as breifly as I could manage. "(Ex: you have 4 attacks from BAB and 1 attack from a Haste spell, so you gain up to 5 extra attacks from your One Weapon Fighting feat)" Should I sacrifice some elegance to make it more clear?

I would be worried; these are a lot better than TWF, because[LIST]
There's no attack penalty
You can use it on standard actions and AoOs right from the get-go
You only need one magic weapon
-snip
I mean, I don't think they're really broken as such, because 3.5's balance level is such that "broken" is kind of a meaningless concept (especially for things like mundane attack damage), but the fact that they're so much better than the closest alternatives is worrysome.
All fully intentional of course, which is why I upped the dex requirements, and there's no way to skip them. It's meant to compare not just to TWF, but a lot of the optimized junk TWF will pile on, as well as snap kick and maneuvers to some extent (hence not stacking with maneuvers). Because anything less will just get it ignored for not being something people already know about.

If you were to go down that route, I'd try to pick a theme that doesn't overlap with TWF's storm-of-strikes motief. Perhaps the first feat gives you a dodge bonus to AC when not using your off-hand (2+1/4 BAB?), with follow-ups granting accelerated feinting and the ability to take extra five foot steps. Make it a mobile style, you know?
I already have other things for boosting AC, feints don't significantly benefit people without sneak attack or help against un-crittable targets, and I don't see how extra 5' steps makes you any more lethal. The problem with unsupported combat styles is that they don't have enough offensive power to matter, hence more offensive power. It's a cheap enough feat line to dip into that you can pick up other stuff on the side, though unlike TWF there's actually reason to take it past the second feat.

Flickerdart
2017-02-10, 07:51 PM
Feats are a little hard to find for Einhander builds. There are two prestige classes that utilize this fighting style though, Duelist and Bladesinger (Races of Faerun).

Duelist barely gives you anything though. It's meant to be taken by an einhander user, but the rewards for doing so are crap.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-10, 08:22 PM
It has a limit method in the feat, worded as breifly as I could manage. "(Ex: you have 4 attacks from BAB and 1 attack from a Haste spell, so you gain up to 5 extra attacks from your One Weapon Fighting feat)" Should I sacrifice some elegance to make it more clear?
The example details one of the scenarios the feat description allows. It's also an example, so by definition it isn't restrictive: if something is within the rules but not explained in an example, it's still valid.
You could try with "As One Weapon Fighting, but the number of extra attacks is limited only by your base attack bonus (one extra attack, plus one for every 5 points of base attack bonus above +1)."
Add a clause for hasted characters if you feel it's necessary.

SirNibbles
2017-02-10, 09:39 PM
If you're fighting with nothing in your off hand you might want the feat Graceful Edge from Dungeon Magazine #128 (page 44).

It allows you to treat any one-handed slashing weapon as light and gives you a +1 shield bonus to AC (+2 if fighting defensively) as long as you don't have a shield or weapon in your off hand. This allows you to use Weapon Finesse with your scimitar.

daremetoidareyo
2017-02-11, 01:30 AM
Einhander was a lightning round in our optimize this feat series. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?495860-Optimize-this-feat-10-Primary-Contact-plus-Einhander-lightning-round

Einhander discussion begins at post #25

Fizban
2017-02-11, 03:22 AM
The example details one of the scenarios the feat description allows. It's also an example, so by definition it isn't restrictive: if something is within the rules but not explained in an example, it's still valid.
But it is explained in the example. The example clearly states "up to X" attacks, which is not infinite attacks. It's written as determine total attacks -> cap bonus attacks, the bonus attacks are not part of the initial calculation. It's only recursive if you ignore the example and say "total attacks" means whatever you want it to mean, which is why the example's there. The only missing piece I could see a need to add is "in a full attack," which is already implied by the fact that you need to use a full attack in order to get all your normal attacks.

Edit: did some very basic math on hit probabilities. Starting with a 75% accuracy on the first attack (that's hitting on a 6 or better), two-weapon fighting reduces that to 65% and 65%. One handed fighting has 75%, followed by 75% of 75%-the first attack must hit in order to even roll the bonus attack, resulting in an effective 75% and 56% accuracy, or roughly -0/-4, and that's assuming you started at 75%. If concealment gets involved, TWF drops to 52% and 52%, while OHF goes to 60% and 36%.

You do get a chance to recover, if you have extra attacks. With Haste you go up to a 94% chance of a full BAB attack hitting, so your bonus attack is at 71%, making you clearly better with haste than a TWFer. With an iterative attack you drop from 75% to 50%, for a 25% chance of getting a bonus through on that attack. The chances of failing both the first and second chances to land a bonus attack isn't so bad, bringing you up to 77% effectiveness. So assuming base 75% accuracy and one iterative attack, TWF is at 65/65/40 vs OHF at 75//50/77.

If we go to the second feat in each tree, the chance of triggering both bonus attacks at full bonus multiplies that starting accuracy again. If you start at 75% you've got 56% on the first bonus, and 42% on the second at full bonus, before factoring in the chances of triggering off the iterative for a hit in general which get way too complicated to model with my limited ability.

At a decently high accuracy, it's more accurate than TWF. With more attacks and especially Haste the recovery chances drive it higher, but if your starting accuracy is lower the chances will fall dramatically as they compound, and if you're dealing with miss chances even a good starting accuracy is eaten away in an instant. The feat is rewarding accuracy as intended. And if your op level assumes every attack will hit before miss chance, it's definitively weaker since instead of your bonus attacks giving you more chances to hit, the miss chance can pre-emptively remove your bonus attacks.

And obviously there's several simple ways to nerf it if it actually turns out to be overpowered. Since the point is to reward accuracy I'd recommend strongly against an attack penalty, but driving up the requirements and/or cutting off the progression at however many attacks works just fine. The later feats probably set up some wicked combo potential, but I just can't see how that's a problem when the usual complaint is that TWF is underpowred and THF is always king. Anyone playing at an op level where it'd become a huge problem should be facing optimized foes who'll have tons of ways to disrupt it.

ShurikVch
2017-02-12, 03:22 AM
Single Blade Style (Dragon Compendium)
Snowflake Wardance (Frostburn) - in case you will got Bardic Music somehow