PDA

View Full Version : Blood Alchemist?

ReaverVonVette
2017-02-10, 10:07 AM
In the Magic of Faerun Book, there is the beauteous Master Alchemist class that allows a player to make up to 9th level potions. My question is, if I have 4 Blood Magus levels (and I've attained the Blood Draught ability) and 10 Master Alchemist levels, can I create up to level 9 blood draughts? It says that I "effectively" utilize Brew Potion through an alternative method, so I would imagine this is an acceptable scenario, but I need to make sure before I end up wasting 4 levels on the Magus.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-10, 10:19 AM
The Blood Draught class feature says "All rules, XP costs, and expenses that apply to Brew Potion also apply to this ability, with the following exceptions."
A Master Alchemist's class feature that allows her to create potions of level higher than 3rd is called Brew Potion (4th).
I am not sure whether this enables Blood Draught of up to 9th level by RAW, but I'd say there is a possibility it would. It's certainly within RAI and as a DM I'd allow it. You should ask yours.

Zaq
2017-02-10, 01:41 PM
RAW is rarely crystal clear when you have two abilities that each apply exceptions to something that the rules assume won't be modified by exceptions. This is one of those times.

Your GM's opinion is the only one that really matters, but I think it's entirely appropriate to allow this to work. You've paid the cost (prereqs and level investment) to earn both abilities, after all, and I don't see why this would be particularly overpowered. Blood Draught "potions" aren't really any more powerful than regular potions (I guess you technically save a move action by not having to draw them from your bag?), so if Master Alchemist making high-level potions isn't going to break the game, then adding Blood Magus to the mix isn't going to make things worse.

Basically, the power increase comes from Master Alchemist rather than from Blood Magus, so from a power perspective, allowing Blood Magus isn't likely to cause any problems.