PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 5th Level Teifling Sorcerer

Peterchapman89
2017-02-10, 12:27 PM
We just started our first D and D play through, we have a half-orc barbarian, a rouge (forget which race), Wood elf Ranger, and Human Cleric (life). i am a Tiefling Sorcerer. I cannot decide on my spells, this is all our first time playing so the dm chose everything for us except my spells as i have done a ton of research more than the other players. DM is letting me add my charisma mod to damage attacks that i have to roll to hit(+4). Ive narrowed it down:
Cantrips:(5 Choices) Chill Touch, Fire Bolt, Minor Illusion, Poison Spray, Shocking Grasp are ones im sure i want, but also considered Mage hand, Prestidigitation and true strike.
Level 1:(3 Choices) For sure on Chromatic Orb, Magic Missile; Not sure on Thunderwave or Charm Person or Shield
Level 2: (2 Choices) Not sure at all: Enhanced Ability, Hold person, Invisibility, Levitate Misty Step, Scorching Ray, Shatter or Suggestion
Level 3: Already used Fly so im stuck with it.
slots are: 1=4 2=3 3=2.
Am i over thinking?

gfishfunk
2017-02-10, 01:07 PM
We just started our first D and D play through, we have a half-orc barbarian, a rouge (forget which race), Wood elf Ranger, and Human Cleric (life). i am a Tiefling Sorcerer. I cannot decide on my spells, this is all our first time playing so the dm chose everything for us except my spells as i have done a ton of research more than the other players. 1. DM is letting me add my charisma mod to damage attacks that i have to roll to hit(+4). Ive narrowed it down:
2. Cantrips:(5 Choices) Chill Touch, Fire Bolt, Minor Illusion, Poison Spray, Shocking Grasp are ones im sure i want, but also considered Mage hand, Prestidigitation and true strike.
3. Level 1:(3 Choices) For sure on Chromatic Orb, Magic Missile; Not sure on Thunderwave or Charm Person or Shield
4. Level 2: (2 Choices) Not sure at all: Enhanced Ability, Hold person, Invisibility, Levitate Misty Step, Scorching Ray, Shatter or Suggestion
Level 3: Already used Fly so im stuck with it.
slots are: 1=4 2=3 3=2.
5. Am i over thinking?

1. You will like having the +Cha damage, but it is unnecessary and ultimately will lead to bad tabletop habits of buffing things that don't need to be buffed. (IMO)

2. Drop Poison Spray. True Strike is not super helpful (but can help with quickened spell, which might maybe might be helpful to have one of your really powerful higher levels stick). Grab prestidigitation, because it can give you a number of RP or small mechanical benefits. Clean your clothes, for example. Clean them of blood, specifically, might be pretty good.

3. Shield is my recommendation, just to round out your spells with something defensive. You might want to drop magic missile for Thunderwave. Chromatic Orb is a great go to, deal any type of damage your need style spell against a single target, whereas Thunderwave provides an area of effect damage spell.

4. Depends on what you want. Personally, I would grab something requiring concentration as your go-to concentration spell. On the other hand, Shatter might be good because I do not see a area of effect damage spell on your list, and as a damage dealer this is a MUST to have in your toolbox. So, either go with it here or Thunderwave at level 1.

5. Nope. These are great things to think about.

Puh Laden
2017-02-10, 01:15 PM
You could, in theory, have a second third level spell in addition to fly. Every time you gain a level in sorcerer you not only gain a new spell but can also switch out one of your old spells. Normally the lack of slots would be a problem, but with font of magic it's not that bad. Fireball is a popular choice, but it might be too dangerous if you're for example going into dungeons with 30 by 30-foot rooms as it's a 20-foot radius sphere.

Rysto
2017-02-10, 01:24 PM
2. True Strike is not super helpful (but can help with quickened spell, which might maybe might be helpful to have one of your really powerful higher levels stick).
How many high-level spells have an attack roll? Most of the big ones -- Disintegrate, for instance -- give a save instead.

3. Shield is my recommendation, just to round out your spells with something defensive. You might want to drop magic missile for Thunderwave. Chromatic Orb is a great go to, deal any type of damage your need style spell against a single target, whereas Thunderwave provides an area of effect damage spell.
I'm not a huge fan of Chromatic Orb on a Sorcerer at level 5+. It does 3d8 damage for the cost of a 1st level spell slot. Alternatively, you can burn that slot to gain a Sorcery point, and twin a cantrip for 4d8 (most cantrips) to 4d10 (Firebolt) damage. Being able to select the damage type isn't bad, but Sorcerers have enough cantrips known to diversify their at-will damage types enough to dodge most resistances, and vulnerability doesn't come up that often.

Mikey P
2017-02-10, 01:24 PM
1. Adding +CHA is very nice, and if he is doing it for each thing you roll for, you will adore Scorching Ray.

2. Solid choices, but if SCAG cantrips are available, I highly recommend Mold Earth (Super useful for prepping a battlefield and setting defenses), and Green Flame Blade for when your foes get too close. I don't see how True Strike is useful... it uses an action, so you can have two attack actions, or two rolls for one action... I suppose if you can't get to a foe in a round it's a good prep, or if you have multiclassed Rogue so you need advantage for sneak attack, but otherwise I don't get it. If your GM is stingy with loot, Mending can turn junk into (very minor) treasure.

3. Shield is GOLD, and will save your butt, over and over and over. Magic Missile is always good for when nothing else will seem to work.

4. Scorching Ray and Misty Step are all kinds of fun. / Counterpell or fireball for your other pick depending, come back for the other one quickly...

5. Nah,

Sir cryosin
2017-02-10, 02:40 PM
Shield, magic missile, scorching ray, counter spell, haste.

Are spells I use a lot be it a wizard or sorcerer I always have these spells. If you have a +X wand or staff or anything that gives you +X to attack roll and damage you are going to love magic missile last time I played my 20lv wizard none of my spells were working but disintegrate in magic Missile. We're the MVPs of the night.

gfishfunk
2017-02-10, 05:58 PM
How many high-level spells have an attack roll? Most of the big ones -- Disintegrate, for instance -- give a save instead.

Thus the "might maybe might". Its pretty terrible in general.

I'm not a huge fan of Chromatic Orb on a Sorcerer at level 5+. It does 3d8 damage for the cost of a 1st level spell slot. Alternatively, you can burn that slot to gain a Sorcery point, and twin a cantrip for 4d8 (most cantrips) to 4d10 (Firebolt) damage. Being able to select the damage type isn't bad, but Sorcerers have enough cantrips known to diversify their at-will damage types enough to dodge most resistances, and vulnerability doesn't come up that often.

I just like having the potential to fling an energy type that matches the vulnerability of something. It feels like a great wild card to have, just in case. Mileage may vary on that, depending on campaign and DM. Either way, you make good arguments to ditch it for something else, so what you say is definitely worth considering.

Specter
2017-02-11, 09:33 AM
Fire Bolt, Shocking Grasp and Frostbite cover all your cantrip needs: ranged attack, melee attack to get out of melee and a save cantrip for targets of high AC. The rest is up to you.

Pick spells based on their function. If you're gonna blast, you don't need two level 1 spells: get the certainty of magic missile. Chromatic Orb can be slightly better than cantrips. Now, for a defensive spell, I've never seen anyone regret taking Shield.

Level 2 is tough. Forget Levitate and Misty Step, you already got a mobility spell (Fly). Invisibility can wait until you get Greater Invisibility. I'd take Shatter (an area spell) and Hold Person (solid debuff for the right targets). Let the cleric pick Enhance Ability.