PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Divine Domain: Dragonspeaker

Giegue
2017-02-10, 01:46 PM
As the title says. I've made a domain for clerics who worship actual dragons instead of dragon deities, drawing their divine power from their strength of belief in the divinity of dragons and power of conviction, more like a Paladin then a cleric. Anyway, if anybody has any thoughts/concerns about the balance of these, please let me know, as these are still very early on/beta.

Dragonspeaker Domain

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/74/12/03/741203dba367ab9d5241840e3b0ddbeb.jpg

Dragons. Majestic, powerful and awe-inspiting, few creatures have been the center of as many myths as these regal reptiles. It thus comes as no surprise that when some search for meaning they look skyward, placing their faith in the divinity of dragons. Often the product of societies that lack the knowledge to tell the difference between powerful monster and true deity, these dragon cultists, more respectfully called "Dragonspeakers", weild the power of a priest without having any tie to a deity.

More akin to a Paladin, these setvants of dragons draw their divine power from the sheer strength of their conviction and powerful belief in the divinity of dragons. While their power coils easily be maintains without a draconic master most dragons are quick to seize the opportunity a dragonspeaker presets, forming cults around themselves with the dragonspeaker at the helm. However, some Dragonspeakers are not directly devoted to a single dragon and instead worship dragonkind as a whole.

Domain Spells

1st: Chromatic Orb, Shield
2nd: Alter Self, Suggestion
3rd: Fear, Protecton from Energy
4th: Dominate Beast, Polymorph
5th: Dominate Person, Legend Lore

Alternate Magic Source

Due to the fact the dragons you worship are not deities you draw no power from them. Instead, your divine magic comes from the strength of your conviction, much like a Paladin. When you select this domain at 1st level, you replace all instances of "Wisdom" in your Spellcasting and Channel Divinity features with "Charisma."

Additionally, the verbal components of your spells are always in draconic. When another spellcaster makes s skill check to identify a spell you cast, if they do not have proficiency in draconic they have disadvantage on that check.

Draconic Emissary

As a worshiper of dragons you learn both their culture and diplomatic tactics, so you can better represent their interests in the world. You gain proficiency with the Draconic language. You also become proficient in two of the following skills: Deception, History, Intimidation, Persuasion. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses those skills.

Channel Divinity: Chromatic Breath

At 2nd level, you gain the following Channel Divinity option:

Chromatic Breath. Using an action, you can call upon your draconic deity's power, exhaling a blast of energy mirroring a dragon's breath weapon. When you do this, choose an element from the following list: Fire, Cold, Acid, Poison, Lightning: all enemies in a 15ft cone must make a Dextarity saving throw. They take 2d6 damage, or half as much on a sucssessful save. The damage of this channel divinity increases to 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 11th level, and 5d6 at 16th level

Draconic Utterance

Starting at 6th level, you can make a primal utterance that invokes the frightening presence of a dragon to shatter the resolve of your enemies. This can be anything from a loud roar to a phrase shouted in draconic, but it's effect is the same regardless.

When one or more hostile creature that can hear you within 30ft make a saving throw, you can use your bonus action or reaction to let out your draconic utterance, giving them disadvantage on that save. If any of those creatures succeed on their saving throw, they are frightened of you until the end of your next turn. You can use this feature three times, and regain all spent uses when you complete a short or long rest.

Potent Spellcasting

Starting at 8th level, you add your Charisma modifier to the damage you deal with any Cleric cantrip.

Wings of the Dragon

At 17th level, you grow a pair of draconic wings. These wings grant you a fly speed equal to your base movement speed while not underground or indoors.

Flashy
2017-02-10, 07:31 PM
The channel divinity is pretty lousy. Gaining a single use of a 2d6 (scaling +1d6 per ~5 levels) 15' cone attack once per use is pretty mediocre compared to some of the other options.

I'm also not sure what the reasoning for Alter Self, Polymorph, or Death Ward as domain spells is. None of those are exactly iconic Dragon features in 5e.

Otherwise strikes me as solid though!

Giegue
2017-02-10, 07:58 PM
The domain spells where partly inspired by 3.5e where most dragons had racial arcane spellcasting , but if you don't think they are fitting I am more than open to alternatives. Just not sure what to throw in at those levels otherwise, though I'd appreciate suggestionson on what to add in those slots that's more fitting. As for the channel divinity, I already edited it so please tell me if the new one is too op?