PDA

View Full Version : Bell Curve Advantage [dice system seeking input]

Djinn_in_Tonic
2017-02-10, 02:02 PM
Hello there!

I'm doing some groundwork for an RPG system, and wanted to get the input of the forums on a possible dice system.

As a huge fan of 5e's Advantage system, I find it nevertheless has a few issues. One is that it's so powerful that it's hard to give out freely without skewing numbers heavily. Another is that it's all or nothing -- once you have Advantage, you don't need more help.

Hence the proposal below.

------------------

Dice Basics: A "set" of dice is six d10s, in three separate colors. We'll call them Red (R), Blue (B), and Yellow (Y).

Initial Premise: Die rolls are on a 3d10 bell curve, creating a natural range of 3-30 with a common range of 13-20 (56% of results in that range). Only 7% of results are 1-6 and/or 26+, giving you room for outliers without hard-skewing the predictable range.

A standard roll is 3d10, with one die of each color being rolled (R)(B)(Y).

Advantage/Disadvantage & Color Pairs: For each "stage" of Advantage you have, add one of your remaining colored pair dice into the mix. A roll with Advantage II, for example, would be (RR)(BB)(Y). You then drop the lowest die of each pair if you have Disadvantage, or take the highest if you have Advantage.

Advantage and Disadvantage cancel each other out. Advantage I and Disadvantage I results in a standard roll of (R)(B)(Y).

------------------

This lets you have several tuning levels on your roll, and also helps moderate the "multiple stages of advantage average incredibly high" effect that advantage with dice pools often encounter when you simply take the best 3 of 6d6, for example.

Thoughts? Too complex? Not flexible enough? Too hard to predict? Do you think it would feel fun to you to get Advantage in this manner?

lynx502
2017-02-10, 10:25 PM
I can't speak to the "advantage" system, as I play 3.5 and have no idea what you are talking about.

However.

I love math, which is why I opened this up in first place.
The dice system that you have devised works with the bell curve.

Therefore, the math works.

Will it work in a game situation? You'll have to wait for others who are more informed than I am for that answer.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2017-02-10, 11:59 PM
I can't speak to the "advantage" system, as I play 3.5 and have no idea what you are talking about.

Ah! Let me explain then.

In 5e, "Advantage" means that a situation is in your favor. When this happens, you roll 2d20 and select the better of the two rolls instead of merely rolling 1d20. "Disadvantage" is the opposite, save that you select the worse of the two rolls.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-02-11, 02:36 PM
Initial thought: It's kind of on the complicated side, and it quickly slows to a halt if you don't have easily recognizable color pairings. And the only reason I can guess how much Advantage is worth* is that I've looked at d10 probabilities for my system, though it comes out simple enough that you could get away with mentioning it in a sidebar. But purely in isolation, it seems kind of clunky; I'm a big fan of resolving basic checks as quickly and elegantly as possible-- a single "dx" vs "roll xdy and replace z and count successes and add n."

*+2, I think; 2d10b1 skews the average up about 2 points