PDA

View Full Version : Diablo Charcters Builds in 5e

PiggDaddy
2017-02-10, 04:11 PM
I'm a big fan of the Diablo series and I started playing Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls again recently. While I was playing around it got me thinking how you would build the various characters in 5e, just for fun. The first games classes are pretty standard, but by the third game blizzard was trying to make all the character seem exotic compared to he normal Warrior/Mage/Thief. Obviously, all of the Diablo pc's are level 20 by the end of things, fighting god like archfiends and the like. I figure the Barbarian from three is probably just a high level Totem warrior (as apposed to two's Barbarian, who was more like a berserk) but the other character are a bit more tricky. Wizard might be some kind of sorcerer, but what about the witch doctor? Druid, Necromancer, something in between?

Talionis
2017-02-10, 10:44 PM
Witch Doctor is a summoner or necromancer? Probably necromancer Wizard.

I'm curious peoples take on the D2 Assassin. I guess it's probably Monk retooling traps to Elemental Monk? The new Artificer might also fall in there with its Thunder Cannon as the traps.

Vaz
2017-02-10, 11:30 PM
Crusader is a Shield Master Paladin of Conquest/Cleric multiclass. Find Steed, Paladin Aura spells, Spirit Guardians, Flame Strike, Smites, Shield Faith. Armor of Agathys for Thorns build, Fear Aura. Maybe Pal 7/Cleric 13

Wizard is arguably Dragon Sorcerer. Archon form is lacking representation however.

Barbarian is Barbarian.

Monk is Sun Soul Monk with some Cleric or Paladin Healing.

Necromancer wizard represents Witch Doctor

Ranger/Rogue Crossbow Expert multiclass for Demon Hunter.

Deleted
2017-02-10, 11:56 PM
Diablo? Shouldn't you just play 3e?

*rimshot*

(Context: When WotC took over D&D and made 3e... People complained that it was essentially diablo and too videogamey... I crap you not.)

PiggDaddy
2017-02-11, 01:35 AM
I'm curious peoples take on the D2 Assassin. I guess it's probably Monk retooling traps to Elemental Monk? The new Artificer might also fall in there with its Thunder Cannon as the traps.

I'd Probably go for a way of the shadow monk for the assassins and just pick up some fluffy magical items for the trap abilities. Also, mage slayer would be a must have feat, which works well since monks are so good at fighting mages already. The class I would be most interested in from D2 would be the Amazon.

Dudu
2017-02-11, 03:13 AM
D3 Wizard - Well, flavorwise, wizards in Diablo are called sorcerers while the dnd sorcerer is a wizard. So I would say... Sorcerer. Probably the Wild Mage one.

D3 Monk - Well guess what.

D3 Witch Doctor - Now it gets interesting. Some weird multiclass here. I'd say Druid is definitely one of the class in this multiclass. The other side... could be a necromancer. That or a warlock.

D3 Demon Hunter - Well, looks like a Rogue with Archery Fighter slapped on. At least one of those classes has a spellcasting archetype.

D3 and D2 Barbarian - Not really a mistery. The D3 seems to delve more into the mystical aspect of barbarian though.

D2 Necromancer - Sounds like the obvious answer would be wizard necromancer. But I would consider a Death cleric first. Maybe a multiclass.

D2 Assassin - Certainly Shadow Monk. With multiclass, an assassin rogue slapped on.

D2 Sorceress - An Evoker wizard, most likely.

D2 Paladin - This one might actually have some cleric levels slapped on with his paladin levels.

D2 Amazon - Fighter (Champion)/Ranger (Hunter), most likely.

D2 Druid - Once again, not a huge mistery.

Talionis
2017-02-11, 08:16 AM
I'd also suggest that each build in diablo might need to be individually built in D&D. Just like Diablo characters can't max all their skills and they tend to only focus on 2 or 3 and then some support skills.

Example D2 Amazon that's an Archer will be mostly Ranger. If you use the spear you might be Paladin for Smites and Elemental weapon.

Arkhios
2017-02-11, 09:12 AM
D3 Witch Doctor is a weirdo, both literally and mechanically.

I'd probably take 1 level of druid (no circle yet, and definitely no wild-shape), possibly a few levels of Death Cleric, and the rest in GOO Warlock with Pact of the Chain.

Or, alternatively pure Tome Pact GOO Warlock, with cantrips and rituals from druid and cleric.

Hermit Background either way.

jaappleton
2017-02-11, 10:47 AM
Its funny, you can do most of these if you cross Archetypes within the same class. For example, the Diablo monk would be Sun Soul / Tranquility.

Man, just think of the potential builds if you could ever multiclass archetypes in the same class...

PiggDaddy
2017-02-11, 04:21 PM

*rimshot*

(Context: When WotC took over D&D and made 3e... People complained that it was essentially diablo and too videogamey... I crap you not.)

Well to be fair, wizards did create a Diablo 2 adventure game using a stripped down 3e way back in 2000.

toapat
2017-02-11, 05:38 PM

people who make this complaint/counterargument combination dont know that 3.0 forwards magic item systems are actually based on work WotC did on commission from Blizzard.

Crusader is a Shield Master Paladin of Conquest/Cleric multiclass. Find Steed, Paladin Aura spells, Spirit Guardians, Flame Strike, Smites, Shield Faith. Armor of Agathys for Thorns build, Fear Aura. Maybe Pal 7/Cleric 13

Barbarian is Barbarian.

Necromancer wizard represents Witch Doctor

Ranger/Rogue Crossbow Expert multiclass for Demon Hunter.

Crusader is literally a Crown paladin, and has nothing to do with Conquest in terms of mechanics while their Oath's tenets are a mix of Ancients and Vengeance.

Barbarian is actually a Gestalt Berserker Barbarian/Battlemaster Fighter

no, Necromancer is a Necromancer Wizard. Witch Doctor is a weird Druid/Cleric hybrid which Arkhios described.

Demon Hunter is actually a Gunsmith Artificer/Alchemist Artificer/Champion Fighter

Arkhios
2017-02-11, 05:50 PM
I'd actually say that Demon Hunter is part Ranger (Hunter), part Fighter (Arcane Archer), and part Rogue (either Arcane Trickster or Assassin)

toapat
2017-02-11, 05:54 PM
I'd actually say that Demon Hunter is part Ranger (Hunter), part Fighter (Arcane Archer), and part Rogue (either Arcane Trickster or Assassin)

Generally speaking, no single class or even achievable multiclass in 5th can emulate the DH correctly, but it does share more in common with the Artificer in the current form than ranger because of Grenades and the Thundercannon covering more of the bow attacks than ranger can.

if were including rogue, actually Swashbuckler is the closest subclass to the DH.

As a whole, DH actually is one of the highest rate of attack classes in D3, with the only exception being Impale which with the correct weapons hits like a tank's main cannon

Arkhios
2017-02-11, 06:09 PM
I'm not sure how swashbucler works for DH which is entirely ranged character.

Anyway, I actually thought that DH would be primarily Arcane Archer (from the Fighter's UA), Ranger for a few spells and sub-class features, and rogue primarily for increased precision damage (AT to improve spell slots with Ranger; Assassin for impressive damage spike when target is surprised).

toapat
2017-02-11, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure how swashbucler works for DH which is entirely ranged character.

Anyway, I actually thought that DH would be primarily Arcane Archer (from the Fighter's UA), Ranger for a few spells and sub-class features, and rogue primarily for increased precision damage (AT to improve spell slots with Ranger; Assassin for impressive damage spike when target is surprised).

the Swashbuckler features square nicely with the DH Discipline spells, mostly.

Arcane Archer: the only relevant to the DH ability there was Bursting Arrow which is similar to a no longer existent rune for Covering Fire. or for Cluster Arrow

Assassin: the only overlap is that Natalya, one of the founders of the Demon Hunter order, is a D2 assassin, which isnt really an assassin anyway. the Only spells that ever become Alpha-strike capable in the DH kit are Impale and Fan of Knives, respectively just a throwing knife and Whirlwind attack (one of upto 3 matches that Ranger gets total).

Arcane Trickster: again this only fits in the most surface level examination. you can eventually pick up invisibility and maybe a few fireball esque evocations.

Ranger: Hunters Mark, Conjure Barrage, Whirlwind attack, and the BM's pet. this is the list of mechanical overlaps in 5th ed with the DH

Artificer: The majority of Bow attacks that DH gets have a Grenade glyph, in addition to one of their Hatred generators literally being Grenade. considering that Alchemist's fire is literally a 5' radius warhead, that is alot of simultaineous successes. you also get a personal Terminator similar to the BM ranger, both of which hit the requirement for the Companion spell square. Artificer can pick up Magical Innitiate and learn Hunter's mark as well, hitting marked For death

Now, if were going for a full Broadside's build, all you need to match the DH is a 1 level splash in Rogue on a Gunslinger Artificer

Vaz
2017-02-11, 07:05 PM
Crusader is literally a Crown paladin, and has nothing to do with Conquest in terms of mechanics while their Oath's tenets are a mix of Ancients and Vengeance.
Thorn Damage from Armour of Agathys, Fear Auras, and the 20th level ability is entirely Super Saiyan.

What does Crown bring? None of that.

toapat
2017-02-11, 07:33 PM
Thorn Damage from Armour of Agathys, Fear Auras, and the 20th level ability is entirely Super Saiyan.

What does Crown bring? None of that.

thorns damage got a Bnet launcher promotion, its not central to the class.

Fear aura? they have a taunt.

Indominable Conquerer matches Wrath of the Berserker not Akarat's Champion.

Arkhios
2017-02-12, 02:12 AM
snip

Frankly put, Demon Hunter was never my favorite class in D3. My idea was based only on general feel, not on exact matching abilities.

Besides, I wouldn't even try to make exact copies of any of them because they would be (almost) impossible to do.

Anyway, I agree with toapat on the Conquest vs Crown debate (mostly) on general feel.
Crusaders might not be exactly good, but neither are they evil. Conquest paladins are evil.
Plus, Crusaders tend to be sort of tanks. What kind of tank frightens his targets away from him instead of taunting them to attack him instead of others, hmm?

toapat
2017-02-12, 05:11 PM
Frankly put, Demon Hunter was never my favorite class in D3. My idea was based only on general feel, not on exact matching abilities.

Besides, I wouldn't even try to make exact copies of any of them because they would be (almost) impossible to do.

Anyway, I agree with toapat on the Conquest vs Crown debate (mostly) on general feel.
Crusaders might not be exactly good, but neither are they evil. Conquest paladins are evil.
Plus, Crusaders tend to be sort of tanks. What kind of tank frightens his targets away from him instead of taunting them to attack him instead of others, hmm?

the problem with mechanical feel matching of DH in 5E is that Valla is very much a spray and pray gunner, not actually like, real rambo where you just snipe with exploding arrows. Really, its the fact that in 5E in general rewards single attack damage over just volume of attacks.

like, the first Ranged Weapon Hatred Spender DH learns is Rapid Fire, which fires 5 arrows per weapon cooldown per weapon, and the ssubsequent ones arent really any less spammy

Comparatively, Wizard, Barbarian, and crusader (i cant vouch for monk since both of my monks were powerleveled and i refuse to play WD since it never seems appealingly fun, but i typically find my monks had more issue Dealing damage than taking it) actually stayed fairly consistantly able to just Single handedly crush my enemies with an attack much longer than DH was.

Emotionally, while D3 and 5E take completely opposite approaches to tanking, the fact is that at least Crown fits the feel of using Punish as your wrath generator, also Spirit guardians is basically Consecration

PiggDaddy
2017-02-12, 09:00 PM
the problem with mechanical feel matching of DH in 5E is that Valla is very much a spray and pray gunner, not actually like, real rambo where you just snipe with exploding arrows. Really, its the fact that in 5E in general rewards single attack damage over just volume of attacks.

like, the first Ranged Weapon Hatred Spender DH learns is Rapid Fire, which fires 5 arrows per weapon cooldown per weapon, and the ssubsequent ones arent really any less spammy

I agree with the idea that DH are pretty much long ranged spam machines in many ways. To that end a class with extra attack and crossbow master, like say fighter (arcane archer), works well. Action surge even gives you some of that Rapid Fire & Multi-Shot goodness. However, I do like the idea of Artifiar, since the DH is so heavily reliant upon equipment for many skills like Sentry or Caltrops.

toapat
2017-02-12, 09:41 PM
I agree with the idea that DH are pretty much long ranged spam machines in many ways. To that end a class with extra attack and crossbow master, like say fighter (arcane archer), works well. Action surge even gives you some of that Rapid Fire & Multi-Shot goodness. However, I do like the idea of Artifiar, since the DH is so heavily reliant upon equipment for many skills like Sentry or Caltrops.

it depends entirely on whether you view Bullet Spam as a mechanic or flavor of the class. I consider it a flavor for 5E purposes simply because there isnt some Artificer Gunsmith variant where you just get 2d2 damage per level with a gun.

i think relatively its fair to say DH is probably Artificer 18/Rogue 2 works since you get functional equivalents to most of the spells that DH has between Artificer spells, an ASI traded for Magic Initiate for Hex, go Gunsmith, and you have by majority what a DH can do Sans everything being grenades

PiggDaddy
2017-02-13, 01:21 AM
i think relatively its fair to say DH is probably Artificer 18/Rogue 2 works since you get functional equivalents to most of the spells that DH has between Artificer spells, an ASI traded for Magic Initiate for Hex, go Gunsmith, and you have by majority what a DH can do Sans everything being grenades

That's a pretty good build (though i'd probably go fighter rather than rogue, two levels of fighter is such a good dip) and it captures most of the mechanical feel behind the DH. Slap on some special equipment, eg grenades, and the urchin background and that sound like a solid DH in 5e.

D3 Witch Doctor is a weirdo, both literally and mechanically.

I'd probably take 1 level of druid (no circle yet, and definitely no wild-shape), possibly a few levels of Death Cleric, and the rest in GOO Warlock with Pact of the Chain.

Or, alternatively pure Tome Pact GOO Warlock, with cantrips and rituals from druid and cleric.

Hermit Background either way.

Witch Doctor is tricky since they're so summon heavy but still not completely reliant on necromancy. I think the best way to replicate their powers and fluff with a semi-sensible build would be a multi-classing Druid/Death Cleric, though Death Domain Clerics aren't as good at summoning undead hoards as necromancers. You're defiantly spot on with the hermit background though.

toapat
2017-02-13, 02:12 AM
That's a pretty good build (though i'd probably go fighter rather than rogue, two levels of fighter is such a good dip) and it captures most of the mechanical feel behind the DH. Slap on some special equipment, eg grenades, and the urchin background and that sound like a solid DH in 5e.

the Nephalem in D3 are equivalent to lvl 30 5E characters, you cant exactly compare them in the material that exists, but heres the thing:

Action surge is mechanically powerful in 5E, but its typically a very poor match for Vault's shear mobility and moreso reinforces the extreme gulf in action economy between an ARPG and a TTRPG. Also the Artificer is actually Action-Surge proofed unlike the base classes.

But cunning action does bring in the shear mobility of the DH over any other class other than monk. Using Dash, disengage, and Hide as bonus actions fits the way Pre-Nerf Marauder's builds worked, and even post nerfs you still have Danatta's builds

If youre going for a Grenadier style DH build? you just switch from Gunsmith Artificer to Alchemist Artificer, who gets infinite 5' radius grenades they can throw 1 of per round.

None of the backgrounds really fit Valla/Batman.

MicDiddy
2017-02-15, 05:32 PM
I see that this thread is dead but I figured Id add my 2 cents anyway.

Demon Hunter is actually a Gunsmith Artificer/Alchemist Artificer/Champion Fighter

LOL, no way m8. Seriously, how is the long ranged warrior who specializes in fighting one type of enemy anything other than a ranger? Besides, the artificure class is full of stuff that doesn't fit at all like infuse magic or mechanical servent. Since when do Demon hunters have big mechanical bears fallowing them around? Also the msot important aspect of the demon hunter is rapid fire bolts, not slow single gun shots. All that said this is my take on the diablo 3 classes.

Witch Doctor: CG, Death Cleric. Flavor wise witch doctor seems like a druid, but all his abilities are in line with a no healing summoner cleric. He cant even shapeshift. Outlander background, obviously.

Demon Hunter: TN, clearly a variant ranger hunter subclass with crossbow master and the sharpshooter feat. Folk hero background.

Wizard: CG, Wild magic sorcerer, sage background, toughness feat or second highest stat con. Important spells are telekinesis, stone skin, mage armor, magic missile, meteor strike, fire ball, and time stop to name a few.

Barbarian: NG, Path of the ancestors Barbarian Goliath, Medium armor master and 16 dex, Martial adept for cleaving strike, belt of giant strength is a must have. Outland underground also.

Monk: LG, Way of the sun soul monk, Mobil feat, magic innate for sleep and spare the dying. Acolyte background.

Crusader: LN, Oath of vengeance paladin, Heavy armor master and Shield master. Find stead and hunters mark are important. Solderer Background, Obviously.

Decard Cain: LG, he's and NPC obviously, but if he had player levels he wouldbe a lore bard with expertise in history and arcana, sage background.

Leah: Seems like a roguish type but really just Tiefling Warlock pact of the tome with the urchin background.

toapat
2017-02-16, 01:56 AM
Unrepentantly wrong.

Demon Hunter: maybe you havent looked in the last Ever but less than 1/2 of an item of the total DH items, skills, and spells pertain to demon slaying. There are more demon related things for most other classes.

Now, if you imagine we can even retain Rate of Fire, my DH has 2 attacks per second with a heavy crossbow, or an equivalent comparison of getting the extra attack feature 11 times and typically im running grenade builds, so i get to throw an Alchemist's fire per attack.

5E cant survive imagining rate of fire is a retainable feature of the classes.

You also seem to forget that DH has the companion spell (with Pig, Wolf, and Raven summons), Vengeance (one of only 2 purely offensive Avatar class spells), Smokescreen (literally the invisibility spell), Sentry, Caltrops, Grenades, and Vault

Now, given that Modify Memory is NOT Mindrape and Mindrape is not in game even if its in lore, the closest mechanical fit, given that the DH is literally impossible to achieve sustained Rate of Fire 1/3rd the necessary strength while also retaining the maximal number of accurate spells, Demon hunter HAS to be an Artificer 18/Rogue 2 with Magic Initiate for Hex.

Arkhios
2017-02-16, 02:28 AM
Toapat, are you sure you're not taking this discussion a tad bit too seriously and personally? People have varying opinions of how to represent any given concepts, there are no ultimately right or wrong ways to do that. :smallsmile: