PDA

View Full Version : spell storing and whips

Fitz10019
2017-02-10, 07:21 PM
I'd like to use a whip to make trip attacks.
I'd like it to be a spell-storing whip, and to trigger the spell as I trip my opponent with that touch attack.
The trouble I see is that whips don't do damage to properly armored people, and triggering a stored spell requires damage.
Any suggestions?

Vizzerdrix
2017-02-10, 08:31 PM
Look up the whip dagger. Same as a whip but deals damage normaly.

Troacctid
2017-02-11, 12:59 AM
You can't trigger a spell-storing weapon on an attack that does not deal damage, such as the touch attack to initiate a trip attempt.

You can, however, trigger an Ordained Champion's channeled spells that way.

Fitz10019
2017-02-11, 10:11 AM
Agreed, I was hoping to find a way for the whip to do damage while touch attacking. [I was hoping a normal whip, as the dagger-whip is 3.0 material, I believe.]

For example, the Berserker weapon enhancement [MICp29] says, "a berserker weapon deals an extra 1d8 points of damage on any successful attack while you are raging" and not "on a successful hit" the way most damage-bonus enhancements do.

Theoretically, a UMD check of 21 would let a character emulate the class feature Rage and get the Berserker damage with a touch attack, and therefore be able to trigger a stored spell.

Does anyone see flaws in this approach, or know another such enhancement with a-typical wording for dealing damage?