PDA

View Full Version : Role Playing Games

ShadowThrone
2007-07-22, 01:09 PM
This appears to be a very larger RPG community... I would really like to delve into a good RPG... does anyone have any specific RPG's they could recommend and why!? :D I have abit more free time these days...

Bryn
2007-07-22, 01:15 PM
Are you talking about tabletop/pencil-and-paper RPGs, like DnD (which I would assume from the forum this is opsted in) or computer/console RPGs (which your post seems to suggest)? Sorry if this is a stupid question :smallamused:

If you are talking about tabletop games, I only really play DnD (which is pretty much the most popular system), but it does have some major balance issues, especially at high levels, and it is quite a rules-heavy system, which might put some people off.

If you are talking about computer/console RPGs, you might want to ask a mod to move this thread to the 'Gaming (Other)' forum, which is where computer game discussion usually goes.

Dairun Cates
2007-07-22, 01:21 PM
Well, it might help to know specifically what you're interested in. My groups and I have played a lot of things, and I've read the books for far more systems than that. I mean, do you want to have a game with pirates, fantasy heroes, near gods, superheroes, angels and demons, werewolves, vampires, bunnies, kittens on fire, an amalgamation of a million cliches, etc. That's really a good place to start. I'd also probably suggest a mostly rules lite system to start, but if you have the extra time you may be able to handle something more rules heavy. So, what are your interests?

Otherwise, I recommend Risus, because it takes one google search to find, it's free, the rules are 10 pages long, it's pure fun, the fan community is strong, and I'm an official member of the Order of the Risus and therefore have sworn to whore it out at a moment's notice.

ShadowThrone
2007-07-22, 01:28 PM
Haha, sorry to have caused any confusion... I am really just trying to get a general idea of what is out there, not including computer/console... what people that have been there and done that recommend... Reading through some of these posts... these certainly can get very in depth!... :D Risus seems a good place to start... Thanks for the quick responses!

Pauwel
2007-07-22, 01:36 PM
Well, if you're just starting out it's always best to find someone who already knows the rules for just about any game and learn from them.
You don't need to understand the rules fully to enjoy, say, Dungeons & Dragons anyway, no matter it's heavyness of rules, so if you know someone who can teach you D&D then I'd go with that instead of reading into a rules system all by yourself.

Dairun Cates
2007-07-22, 01:39 PM
Haha, sorry to have caused any confusion... I am really just trying to get a general idea of what is out there, not including computer/console... what people that have been there and done that recommend... Reading through some of these posts... these certainly can get very in depth!... :D Risus seems a good place to start... Thanks for the quick responses!

There's a list of about 9,000 RPG's somewhere on the net, although I can't find it right now. The truth of it is, unless it's REALLY REALLY weird, it's out there in some form. The library of D20 systems alone is massive. Mind you, not all systems are good, but the idea is that unless your first group is insanely pro-D&D, it might be a more pleasurable experience to start with what you like, and then work from there and try other similar systems. Shocking as it is to some people, some people just REALLY aren't D&D players.

The point is that if you list a specific interest, there's still going to be a million suggestions. Let's say you're a huge anime fan. I would probably recommend any of the following just off the top of my head without much thought:
1. Besm 3rd Edition
2. Besm d20
3. Mutants and Masterminds
4. Exalted
5. Slayers d20
6. Marvel Universal Role-playing system
7. In Nomine
8. Feng Shui (although, that's more for the Shonen fans)
9. Shadowrun (if you're into the more cyberpunkish)
10. 7th Sea (if you're more into the pirates and grand adventure anime)
11. Naruto d20
12. Risus :smallbiggrin:

The list actually can go on for a while, but I decided to stop at 12. I honestly probably could name at least 20 right now if not more. So, I'm not trying to limit you when I ask what your interests are, I'm just curious what kind of character you would want to play and find a compatible system for your interests and skill level.

Raum
2007-07-22, 01:57 PM
You're probably referring to John H. Kim's Bigass List of RPGs (http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/encyclopedia/).

As for choosing an RPG, that's purely based on what you like - or what is available. Popular games such as D&D are reasonably easy to find (just check your LGS). On the other hand, some of the fringe games are compelling - if you can find players.

Dairun Cates
2007-07-22, 02:09 PM
You're probably referring to John H. Kim's Bigass List of RPGs (http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/encyclopedia/).

As for choosing an RPG, that's purely based on what you like - or what is available. Popular games such as D&D are reasonably easy to find (just check your LGS). On the other hand, some of the fringe games are compelling - if you can find players.

That would be the one. Thanks.

Kiero
2007-07-22, 02:28 PM
Well, if you're just starting out it's always best to find someone who already knows the rules for just about any game and learn from them.
You don't need to understand the rules fully to enjoy, say, Dungeons & Dragons anyway, no matter it's heavyness of rules, so if you know someone who can teach you D&D then I'd go with that instead of reading into a rules system all by yourself.

Assuming that's an option. I didn't start that way, I was given a game, read it, then talked my friends into playing it with me. Sometimes there isn't an existing body of roleplayers from whom you can learn, or they simply aren't accessible to you for one reason or another.

Either way, the most important thing is having other people to play with.

Dairun Cates
2007-07-22, 02:39 PM
Assuming that's an option. I didn't start that way, I was given a game, read it, then talked my friends into playing it with me. Sometimes there isn't an existing body of roleplayers from whom you can learn, or they simply aren't accessible to you for one reason or another.

Either way, the most important thing is having other people to play with.

Honestly, when I delved outside of D&D, that's exactly what I had to do. It really wasn't too bad. Actually, I've probably had my most fun session because of it. Although, if you're going to ask a group of friends to try, be prepared, as the one who brought it up, to be GM the first time.

Kiero
2007-07-22, 03:17 PM
Honestly, when I delved outside of D&D, that's exactly what I had to do. It really wasn't too bad. Actually, I've probably had my most fun session because of it. Although, if you're going to ask a group of friends to try, be prepared, as the one who brought it up, to be GM the first time.

Mine was with Red Box D&D, of all things! :smalltongue:

horseboy
2007-07-22, 03:47 PM
It depends on what you want. Want a game system where combat is actually dangerous and things make sense? Tired of hitting that whizzened old man with 5' of sharp steel in the chest and doing only d8 +8ish damage? I'd go Rolemaster. Most of the "crunch" is front loaded into character design. Once you get the grip on the game it's quite easy.

If you want more "role"playing in your roleplaying games (go figure :smallamused: ) I find that games that have the setting ingraned in their rules are better for it than generic rules for generic settings. The problem then becomes that they can often times put too much focus on the setting, leaving a weak rules system. Hit up places like http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/ and download the free stuff from different systems, until you find something cool.

ShadowThrone
2007-07-24, 01:19 AM
The list actually can go on for a while, but I decided to stop at 12. I honestly probably could name at least 20 right now if not more. So, I'm not trying to limit you when I ask what your interests are, I'm just curious what kind of character you would want to play and find a compatible system for your interests and skill level.

I would enjoy a character/game set of characters that has a cool dark side aspect to them as I enjoy letting my alter ego out once in awhile. Like I said I have never really played this type of game, however they always appealed to me... but any overly masculine brute or devilishly sly dark villian would suit my interest... Anything along these lines would be cool... Also how would I go about finding a community in my area to play with? I really don't know anyone that plays these type of games...

Callix
2007-07-24, 01:35 AM
Almost any system can let your dark side out. That's more a question of the GM. Personally, I don't like White Wolf, but it's more for clunky mechanics and an inordinate amount of dice than anything else. If you don't want to be constantly reaching for your calculator, the various WW games have a nice resolution mechanic and a lot of very cool roleplaying stuff, but as a personal taste thing I don't like them that much. I like my ridiculously high modifiers to let me do ridiculous things. In WW, a mook has as good a chance to do a 10-difficulty task as the biggest expert in the field in the world. Go figure.

Dairun Cates
2007-07-24, 02:10 AM
I would enjoy a character/game set of characters that has a cool dark side aspect to them as I enjoy letting my alter ego out once in awhile. Like I said I have never really played this type of game, however they always appealed to me... but any overly masculine brute or devilishly sly dark villian would suit my interest... Anything along these lines would be cool... Also how would I go about finding a community in my area to play with? I really don't know anyone that plays these type of games...

For finding gamers, you might try this:
http://nearbygamers.com/

It's small, but you just might find someone nearby. Otherwise, your other three big options are:
1. Be a college student
2. Go to a comic shop and look for game listings
3. Do it over the internet

As for a system that suits letting out a dark side, I'd have to say that Werewolf is indeed your best shot. There's a large group for it. So, you might be able to find something. There's also the possibility of a dark Star Wars d20 campaign. If you just want to go a bit anti-hero, there's also a rather large bevy of steam punk style campaign settings that do anti-heroes well; all the way from Eberron D&D to Serenity. Eberron or Werewolf are your best to find, but just about any system can support that kind of character, and there's a large number of smaller known games out there that suit this as well.

Whiplord
2007-07-24, 02:43 AM
Personally, I've only ever played DnD, so that's all I can speak for, but if you have the interest, I'd say just pick something up and give it a whirl. as long as you have a willing group of friends, and are willing to have fun, what's the worst that can happen?

..and completely off topic, have you read malazan book of the fallen?

TheOOB
2007-07-24, 02:47 AM
Try out True20 sometime, it's alot like D&D (most D&D players will have little trouble with the rules), but its a much more dynamic, dare I say realistic system that can cover a wide array of campaign types other then medieval heroic fantasy.

Dairun Cates
2007-07-24, 02:49 AM
Oh yeah. The other obvious answer is to get some real life friends interested and form a group with them. That's probably the easiest one.